Author Topic: 1.5 slot items  (Read 3884 times)

Offline owens

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 389
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
  • Faction: Persian Kittens
  • Game nicks: PK's nice guy
  • IRC nick: PK world tour pm to donate
1.5 slot items
« on: September 27, 2012, 09:23:02 am »
+42
I know, know I have said it before.

bastard swords, katana, light lance, goedendag, x-bow (or maybe H-x-bow) some spears and maybe some of the longer/meaner 1H's only use 1.5 weapon slots so a man at arms can take a bastard sword (1.5) a light-lance (1.5) and a shield 1.5+1.5+1=4.

However he cannot take a heavy lance, bastard sword and a shield. 2+1.5+1=4.5

An x-bow man can take a goedendag or a bastard sword his x-bow and bolts. 1.5+1.5+1=4, but he cant take a great sword or poleaxe into battle.

Cool idea isn't it. Allows certain classes that didn't exist before while efficiently limiting their specific effectiveness doesn't it.

So do it.

I could also suggest 2.5 and .5 slot weapons but it is probably too soon. Ninja can take wakizashi .5 + katana 1.5 + Nodachi 2= 4  8-)???????????

edit:... added another thought to stop nerf mentality thanks for all the effort though really appreciate people taking my ideas seriously

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 01:49:55 pm by owens »
PK is back

PK is a collection of elites from throughout modern and ancient history. Giants of Calradia individually, as a group these gods of combat shatter all expectations and ascend to a higher plain of victory that only a few have seen before.

Offline Cepeshi

• Earl
  • Renown: 467
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
  • Relax, it is just a life...
    • View Profile
    • Wanna work with me? Ping for more info!
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Fapulena, Useless
  • IRC nick: Cepeshi
Re: 1.5 slot items
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 09:41:17 am »
+1
Would require quite a lot thinking to make it balanced, but anything that adds up to diversity gets +1 from me  8-)

Offline owens

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 11:02:54 am »
^Thanks

I really appreciate positive input.

People have argued in the past that it would make cav OP but tbh using 3 different wpf on one char +shield skill +riding is really pushing most builds away from battle-winners but it would be great for a lot of people who want to role play.

Im not trying to rewrite cRPG just trying to get it to a stage where we can have an AUS community.
PK is back

PK is a collection of elites from throughout modern and ancient history. Giants of Calradia individually, as a group these gods of combat shatter all expectations and ascend to a higher plain of victory that only a few have seen before.

Offline Moncho

• King
  • Renown: 1127
  • Infamy: 221
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Moncho, Some_Random_STF, Some_Random_Troll
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 11:06:14 am »
+5
But only if you make the top end greatswords and poles 2.5 or 3 slots.
I hate how a shielder/archer/crossbowman requires 3 slots to have top end equipment while poles and 2hers can have 2 top end weapons perfectly.
More 2hers and poles should be over 2 slots imo, regardless of this suggestion, which would not be bad at all.
A question: would 0 slot items become 0.5 or stay at 0?, or maybe some in each category?

Offline owens

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 11:18:59 am »
+2
^

It would be nice if some of the short swords became .5

I would personally avoid more nerfs these 2H are already very slow and don't do very much damage compared to how it used to be.
I would rather buff archery or create new sub classes say a 1.5 slot bow (old warbow model :?: hint hint) so a bastard sword could be carried (like a ranger).

Nerfing isn't the only solution, 90% of the time the best solution (also the most labour intensive) is making a new counter or buffing a very specific counter (trying to cause prevent a flow on of endless buffing).
PK is back

Offline Cepeshi

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 11:21:57 am »
Well, as for the longswords, the biggest problem with those being two slot "only" means, that you can also have pocket maul for them pesky shielders.

The balancing of these could be made purely by weight. That is somewhat acceptable, at least for me. That would put a stop to them maul/sworders, yet you still could have some backup weapon for hard situations. Was wondering how it would be with bowmen tho, i would not mind having long/rus take 2,5 slots, whereas the arrows could take 0,5. If you would want to affect the top tier of weaponry for melee, do the same for ranged. (no problem with some low end onehanders being 0,5 here)

I do remember times, when you could have flamberge sheathed, and secondary pocket pike. That was not good, lots of fun, yeah, but not good balance wise.

Still i think this would require a lot of time and work from the dev team and since new strat is launched, i guess they are busy elsewhere  8-)

Offline Grumpy_Nic

• King
  • Renown: 1023
  • Infamy: 306
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Hermann_von_Krems
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 11:30:57 am »
But only if you make the top end greatswords and poles 2.5 or 3 slots.
I hate how a shielder/archer/crossbowman requires 3 slots to have top end equipment while poles and 2hers can have 2 top end weapons perfectly.
More 2hers and poles should be over 2 slots imo, regardless of this suggestion, which would not be bad at all.
A question: would 0 slot items become 0.5 or stay at 0?, or maybe some in each category?

Long maul - 3 Slots
Long Spear - 3 Slots

Offline Cepeshi

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 11:34:32 am »
Long maul - 3 Slots
Long Spear - 3 Slots

yeah, that is true, there are even more with 3 slots (pike, flamb) and even worse, them two slot stuff you can use as lower versions are mostly unsheatable :(

Offline Moncho

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 12:19:29 pm »
+1
Long maul - 3 Slots
Long Spear - 3 Slots

Yes Nic, I know about those, but they are not the most used 2h/poles by far. I was referring to the greatswords (german or danish are sooo rarely used), and the poleaxes/axes/glaive, etc (not all of them though, maybe do it by length and weight together in some way (as weight AND length both affect the ease of using a weapon. It could be balanced a bit by increasing slightly the stats of the weapons that are about to become 3 slots, to compensate. This would also lead to more people using the second tier weapons, a nice thing that happens with 1hers but much less often with poles/2hers, just because the top tier ones are so much better with very few worse things.

@Cepeshi: According to the website, the only 3 slot 2her is the Great Maul, and the only 3 slot polearms are Pike, Long Spear and Long Maul..
Also I do not mind a guy being able to have a secondary mallet, I find it smart and useful for the team, but he should have to sacrifice a bit of his top end damage to do this imo. The specialization argument so used against my hybridising...

EDIT: In short, make them have the same dillema I have when making a hybrid: a great one option, or two second tier for more versatility
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 12:27:15 pm by Moncho »

Offline Cepeshi

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 12:24:03 pm »
Yes Nic, I know about those, but they are not the most used 2h/poles by far. I was referring to the greatswords (german or danish are sooo rarely used), and the poleaxes/axes/glaive, etc (not all of them though, maybe do it by length and weight together in some way (as weight AND length both affect the ease of using a weapon. It could be balanced a bit by increasing slightly the stats of the weapons that are about to become 3 slots, to compensate. This would also lead to more people using the second tier weapons, a nice thing that happens with 1hers but much less often with poles/2hers, just because the top tier ones are so much better with very few worse things.

@Cepeshi: According to the website, the only 3 slot 2her is the Great Maul, and the only 3 slot polearms are Pike, Long Spear and Long Maul..
Also I do not mind a guy being able to have a secondary mallet, I find it smart and useful for the team, but he should have to sacrifice a bit of his top end damage to do this imo. The specialization argument so used against my hybridising...

true dat, flam just got the unshittable "bonus", my bad there :) The length and weight together somehow forming a formula to follow while deciding how many slots item should take sounds cool. Those all weapons were made three slots so you couldnt have a good secondary weapon with them, which somewhat makes sense.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 12:37:51 pm »

EDIT: In short, make them have the same dillema I have when making a hybrid: a great one option, or two second tier for more versatility
Amen.

I don't mind a people using a Mallet and a longsword, but it does annoy me when they use a GGS and a Mallet. Same with poleaxe and awlpike.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 12:40:03 pm »
+2
Hardcore and mean suggestion :

All 2h above the HGS (included) + war cleaver, morningstar, bar mace, great axe, mallet and great bardiche : 2.5 slots
Flamberge and great maul : 3 slots
All poleaxes + glaive, GLA, GLB, swiss halberd, english bill, long voulge, pike, long spear and long maul : 3 slots
For the other polearms :  length < 150 => 2 slots, others 2.5 slots

1h : all 1 slot except if length<95 and weight<2, then 0.5 slots.

Offline Moncho

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 12:53:50 pm »
Hardcore and mean suggestion :

All 2h above the HGS (included) + war cleaver, morningstar, bar mace, great axe, mallet and great bardiche : 2.5 slots
Flamberge and great maul : 3 slots
All poleaxes + glaive, GLA, GLB, swiss halberd, english bill, long voulge, pike, long spear and long maul : 3 slots

1h : all 1 slot except if length<95 and weight<2, then 0.5 slots.

That might be a little bit too much, but its along the lines of what I would like.
Not sure about 1hers though, might be too high a treshold. (90 length and 1.5 weight might be better, things like nordic war sword, or some axes fit here i think, also niuweidao).
About 2hers, also bastards, katana, axe (under 2 weight) might be 1.5 slots.

About poles, ok mostly, not sure about the swiss halberd, but some should be 1.5, what about the boar spear, iron staff and maybe jousting lance?

Offline dodnet

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 149
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolpertinger
  • Game nicks: DoD, DoD_Wolper
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 01:09:00 pm »

Light Lance, Bamboo spear & others 2.5 slots? And no more hoplites with Ashwood and 2 slot shields...

I think it should be selected more by weight than length.
The logic of war seems to be that if a belligerent can fight he will fight.

(click to show/hide)

Offline owens

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2012, 01:45:42 pm »
No No No.

Don,t go ape shit. Start with buffing not nerfing.

I don't want every second weapon to a non integer slot user. I want a few select weapons, x-bows and bows. The idea being that new classes and armament choices can exist.

Look think about it this way If I carry a ordinary spear and a Heavy shield I should be allowed to carry a short sword as I am using two below average weapons which hopefully will give me versatility (fair enough?). However I shouldn't  be prevented from taking the more powerful more specific road in the ash-wood + 0slot road should I?

Remember the goal of every cRPG player and forum member should be to make more people play not ruin other peoples fun.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 01:50:37 pm by owens »
PK is back