Author Topic: Strategus - make life easier - simple suggestion for normal players ;-)  (Read 2799 times)

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 1109
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
Re: Strategus - make life easier - simple suggestion for normal players ;-)
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2012, 07:45:18 am »
Instead of edgy comments, chadz, would you care to explain why you think this situation of Strat is inadequate?

Second comment was funny though (come on Greys, have some humour). :lol:
When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.

Offline bredeus

• Earl
  • Renown: 392
  • Infamy: 85
  • there must be Peace
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templars since 1096 AD
  • Game nicks: Templar_Brede
  • IRC nick: Brede
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2012, 08:02:13 am »
+1
From the great fan of Your "strategy" and understanding of "fair competition" I would like to dedicate You the same video friend ;)

(click to show/hide)

Offline HarunYahya

• Marshall
  • Renown: 965
  • Infamy: 309
  • cRPG Player
  • Proud Abdulla wielder
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BashiBazouks
  • Game nicks: HarunYahya,HarunShootya,Inan
  • IRC nick: HarunYahya
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2012, 01:14:52 pm »
+4
koyama:
its not automatically a bad idea to change it. there are many board games where everybody plays for himself or mostly for himself (and i believe people have fun playing them, maybe way bigger than playing strategus). they require artificial rules though. but who says artificial rules are necessarily bad.

otherwise i absolutely agree - real simulation will end in real results. as you described.
I disagree.
In all RISK nights with my friends we form alliances , naps etc and eventually we end up playing alliance a vs alliance b.
If we don't , one of our friends gets wiped easily and starts to have a lonely boring time -_-' .
And its not a metaphor , this is exactly how i and my friends play RISK.
Then a drunk retard shakes the board or pours liquor onto the damn board and we GTX....
Every fucking single time lol.

Anyway , i don't want to derail the topic .  :)

I really don't see how alliances "ruin" strategus .
I am trying very hard to imagine a ruined strategus and when i do i picturize a game where people don't use it's features like
-Detailed sieges catapults,siege towers etc.
-Trading routes
-Fief customization
-Far more organized and competitive open field battles than cRPG
-Micromanagements within faction to organizing troop,gold gathering.
-Defending your land
-Attacking for new land
-Diplomatic agreements

We do all those above , how come we ruin strat ?
 I really dunno.
Is it our problem because other factions can't be succesfull on those points ?
I don't think so.

I hope a more competetive and fun strategus every round but not by artificial rules or something.
I think people blame UIF because UIF actually understands and plays strategus correctly.
Haters gonna hate i enjoyed last strategus aswell as previous ones.
I finished my "annual teamkill with catapult deed"  :lol:
Retired multiple times
"Battles for Derchios" were epic , i really enjoyed . thanks to Templar Alliance again .
Suno battles were very fun aswell.
People say UIF fought against no faction , don't be a naive lol no faction = free troops and items for fallen hre crapikuku mercs crusader alliance + extra real no faction members.
Most of the time we fought against an organized group , yeap we had more adventage because we did our own roster but hey we made our own items and troops while others just play on "free" ones.

Meh don't read all my post just give me + and leave me be, i just previewed it it's very long and boring lol....

Fuck yeah im a renown whore.

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2012, 03:51:49 pm »
I disagree.
In all RISK nights with my friends we form alliances , naps etc and eventually we end up playing alliance a vs alliance b.
If we don't , one of our friends gets wiped easily and starts to have a lonely boring time -_-' .
And its not a metaphor , this is exactly how i and my friends play RISK.
Then a drunk retard shakes the board or pours liquor onto the damn board and we GTX....
Every fucking single time lol.

So your friends ally with the exact same friends every single time and claim the exact same territories every single time in RISK???  That must be the most boring game ever.  Also, in Risk they are all temporary alliances constantly fluctuating (many games Ive played no one allies) with new changes all the time.  Same alliance same territory games in any computer game are insanely dull and stupid.  Best way to fix this is to:

1) Make troops and gold easier to get from ticks so more aggressive gameplay allows for greater fluctuations in fortune forcing new territory claims and thus new alliances - as alliances fluctuate more they also tend to decrease in size, only stagnant alliances slowly creep up to include 70-100% of playerbase.

2) Completely random assignment of villages to players (cities and castles should be neutral - fun fights, and also creates discord with whoever mercs on neutral side), so no clan will know which fiefs they will get and will be forced to relocate.  Some clan may get lucky, but then other clans will just attack them if they have too many fiefs.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2012, 04:27:37 pm »
+1
So, you propose there should only be two ways to play strategus:
Join Block A or join Block B?
How boring!

Cold War is over, lets make the world multifaceted!

Bring back the feudal system.

De-Centralized power ftw!

Hospitallers have been de-centralized (for power structure) since the beginning of strat 4.  In a time of war we will call up our lords to bring forth their garrisons to support the greater good
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 04:33:15 pm by CrazyCracka420 »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline HarunYahya

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
  • Proud Abdulla wielder
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2012, 06:23:40 pm »
So your friends ally with the exact same friends every single time and claim the exact same territories every single time in RISK???  That must be the most boring game ever.  Also, in Risk they are all temporary alliances constantly fluctuating (many games Ive played no one allies) with new changes all the time.  Same alliance same territory games in any computer game are insanely dull and stupid.  Best way to fix this is to:

1) Make troops and gold easier to get from ticks so more aggressive gameplay allows for greater fluctuations in fortune forcing new territory claims and thus new alliances - as alliances fluctuate more they also tend to decrease in size, only stagnant alliances slowly creep up to include 70-100% of playerbase.

2) Completely random assignment of villages to players (cities and castles should be neutral - fun fights, and also creates discord with whoever mercs on neutral side), so no clan will know which fiefs they will get and will be forced to relocate.  Some clan may get lucky, but then other clans will just attack them if they have too many fiefs.
Ffs retarded murrikan obese kiddo i am not here to explain or tell anything to you ...
I do not give a single fuck about you , your clan and your part of strategus.

Offline Cicero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 418
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
  • scourge of god
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: BashiBazouks_Cicero
  • IRC nick: Cicero
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2012, 06:34:26 pm »
i will type a huge article but nvm you guys will probably say UIF, same claims , boring , QQ , whine , bla bla

For Fuck Sake why the fuck i change my claims if i get use to those ?

Offline HarunYahya

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
  • Proud Abdulla wielder
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2012, 06:39:33 pm »
i will type a huge article but nvm you guys will probably say UIF, same claims , boring , QQ , whine , bla bla

For Fuck Sake why the fuck i change my claims if i get use to those ?
dont
try
to
explain...

Offline Beauchamp

• Earl
  • Renown: 427
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
    • Personal portfolio
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2012, 01:07:17 pm »
+1
people behave differently in risk (change alliances, backstab each other constantly) than in strategus (where they are allied forever in 1 block no matter what strategus version) because:

- they have different objectives
- their objectives intersect/compete with other's objectives
- they can only win the game all by themselves so they have to backstab their former friends to win at some point.

from completely different point of view:
lets say in TF2 there are maps that are just so badly designed, it is almost impossible for a team to conquer the last point/achieve victory, because the last point is so easily defendable. often 1 team is so close getting the last control point of the enemy only to get pwned in last attack and loose all of their control points only to be able to hold their own last one. then the situation repeats over and over... in TF2 it sucks hard that you constantly struggle no matter what you do and map control just turns completely upwards down at some moment.

but in Strategus it might work, "everybody" would have its time in the top. i can imagine a situation when for achieving a victory a clan would have to capture some number of towns + if they'd manage to hold this number of towns for certain time, that clan would just be pronounced as a winner and nobody else (in fact 2nd strongest clan military wise would be pronounced as the biggest suckers as they didn't prevent it) and new strategus round would come up.

one clan could get strong, they could even get all the cities they'd need (of course with the help of their friends), but in the end they'd have to defend them even against their former friends that helped them to get the cities to win. if you won't stand your ground as the strongest clan controlling those cities, you will loose them as well as your army and from uberpower you turn to the weakling. then those that were average in strength will come suddenly to the top only to be (possibly) crushed when they get close to winning the game.

possible example:
greys + drz + others get uber strong - nobody else can match them, greys get enough cities to achieve victory by just holding them for some time, if drz + others want to win the game (i suppose they would), they'd have to pwn the greys and kill them off their cities. thus reducing power of greys and theirs.  wars will happen, rage will happen, next time maybe different alliances will be formed since beginning as old friendships will be broken. then the fucking glorious fallen come and will take over weakened greys, or maybe not because others will unite against fallen when they get strong (if they ever get strong) etc...

the question is:
won't there be a few clans that will always unite in the same matrix only to make a deal that one strategus round 1 clan will win. then the other one etc. etc... i believe people are retarded enough to make this happen. but still it would be worth to give it a shot.

game or simulation
- what you loose is a free world with no rules
- what you possibly gain is more fun (just by implementing winning conditions that will go against uber alliances at some point (at the point of winning the game)).
- now what do you value more (game, simulation, fun?)
- strategus imo succeeded admirably in terms of making a medieval simulation, but not so much by making a good game. the question is what is it a game, prolly nobody really gives a fucking awesome definition, but the biggest part of the game should imo be fun. i'm not that much sure if you can say the same about simulation.

but its a question for mister donkey what he really wants to achieve :)

(and a quick note for koyama: alliances don't fuck up strategus, only one always the same big alliance does, it takes all the fun for themselves. but they are not to blame, its the game that is to blame that enables this. most of the people would prolly love to be a part of that huge alliance too, but they are just unlucky and can't - because then there would be no fodder for uber uif's fun)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 01:34:24 pm by Beauchamp »
OOODDIIINVALHALLAAAAAAA on the 20th of April 2011: What I know is that... heh, eh ja how can I explain? ...deh feeling to believe in Odin is right, dat is what I say, ja?!

Offline dado

• Baron
  • Renown: 104
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TWISTED
  • Game nicks: TWISTED_FACE
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2012, 01:16:56 pm »
Yep, that is more or less correct (except for 200 CD keys part - noone ever had 200 CD keys, so please do not mislead people). We did have our own share of fun.  That is what we play this game for.
yea it was 100 keys...

Offline Segd

• Marshall
  • Renown: 845
  • Infamy: 88
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2012, 03:03:55 pm »
+1
possible example:
greys + drz + others get uber strong - nobody else can match them, greys get enough cities to achieve victory by just holding them for some time, if drz + others want to win the game (i suppose they would), they'd have to pwn the greys and kill them off their cities. thus reducing power of greys and theirs.  wars will happen, rage will happen, next time maybe different alliances will be formed since beginning as old friendships will be broken. then the fucking glorious fallen come and will take over weakened greys, or maybe not because others will unite against fallen when they get strong (if they ever get strong) etc...
We could unite in one faction & win :)
And right now we are trying to play fair. Imagine how many CD-keys we could use to won some pixels! xD

But still promising idea!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 03:08:56 pm by Segd »

Offline Erasmas

• Earl
  • Renown: 483
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The crows had come
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Erasmas_the_Grey
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2012, 10:39:08 am »
Imagine how many CD-keys we could use to won some pixels! xD

100 at least. Possibly 200  :wink:

Offline Harpag

• Marshall
  • Renown: 914
  • Infamy: 263
  • jebać merców
    • View Profile
  • Faction: UIF
  • Game nicks: Harpag_the_Grey
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2012, 12:50:27 pm »
WTF? For now I have only 81 keys in strat ... really don't remember where I lay down the rest ... Ah! I know! I should still check pockets of my kuyak...

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2012, 01:22:48 pm »

- Do not listen nerds who have never made any effort but as usual have the most to say on all issues.

- If you are not interested in Strategus  then just be a bot who mindlessly follow simple commands of your leader

- Do not be asshole, and help your faction to build a strong economy.

- Create together (with your other keys) at least a few large (2k) army in every week.

- Start whining and crying on the forum

-  Regularly spit other players from opposite block

-  Don't be too serious, make life easier and enjoy

7 commandments of the Grey Order ? Couldn't you make 10 of 'em at least ?
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.

Offline Warham

• Count
  • Renown: 168
  • Infamy: 20
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Black Guard
  • Game nicks: Warham
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2012, 02:02:41 pm »
One of the main Strat problems is the roster. You need to be in the carebear or be friendly with one of them to always have good fighters on your side. Even the Greys or DRZ couldn't fill their roster in the prime-time alone. If there was a lot more active clans with huge amount of players there would be a lot of different alliances. But now there is possibility for only 2 blocks.

P.S. Right now there are 2240 players in the Strat, but I bet that half of them are inactive.
+1
Roster is the root of all evil. There are not enough players to fill small clans roster. And there are many battles, which should be interesting and stubborn, but ends in 5 minutes, cause roster disbalance.
Sorry for my english, i am russian-speaking.