Author Topic: Strategus - make life easier - simple suggestion for normal players ;-)  (Read 2810 times)

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
Re: Strategus - make life easier - simple suggestion for normal players ;-)
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2012, 01:38:17 pm »
+17
game is for people

For some people even twice, or thrice.

Offline Harpag

• Marshall
  • Renown: 914
  • Infamy: 263
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • jebać merców
    • View Profile
  • Faction: UIF
  • Game nicks: Harpag_the_Grey
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2012, 01:40:38 pm »
:lol:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Segd

• Marshall
  • Renown: 845
  • Infamy: 88
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2012, 02:36:27 pm »
+1
So, you propose there should only be two ways to play strategus:
Join Block A or join Block B?
How boring!

Cold War is over, lets make the world multifaceted!
One of the main Strat problems is the roster. You need to be in the carebear or be friendly with one of them to always have good fighters on your side. Even the Greys or DRZ couldn't fill their roster in the prime-time alone. If there was a lot more active clans with huge amount of players there would be a lot of different alliances. But now there is possibility for only 2 blocks.

P.S. Right now there are 2240 players in the Strat, but I bet that half of them are inactive.

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2012, 03:31:28 pm »
So, you propose there should only be two ways to play strategus:
Join Block A or join Block B?
How boring!

Cold War is over, lets make the world multifaceted!

Join Alliance or Horde. Easy as that.

Offline Beauchamp

• Earl
  • Renown: 427
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
    • Personal portfolio
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2012, 03:58:21 pm »
And this, my friend, is the reason you should never ever come close to influencing any form of game design.

I'm afraid he is only describing to inexperienced players how majority of experienced players feels your game (design) should be played.
OOODDIIINVALHALLAAAAAAA on the 20th of April 2011: What I know is that... heh, eh ja how can I explain? ...deh feeling to believe in Odin is right, dat is what I say, ja?!

Offline Andswaru

• Duke
  • Renown: 554
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • SeaRaider_
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen of Fenada / SeaRaiders
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Andswaru
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2012, 04:29:55 pm »
+4
And this, my friend, is the reason you should never ever come close to influencing any form of game design.

chadz you may not like it, but thats the only way to play strat if your playing to win. Real life was the same, "carebear blocks" against each other, so why should a simulation be different. You need good allies to fill your rosters, you need good allies to fight when you have no members awake, you need allies to trade with, you NEED a block.
You need Allies, everyone needed allies be it in real life, or the game. Leaders lead and rest did as they were told or revolted and got crushed most of the time.
Harpag has simply written the brutal reality of strategus, if it disapoints you chadz im sorry but you've set the game up to require allies and mindless obediance from the masses.

Edit: Well this round of strat actually only required about 16 players too rule the world, so you've given the average clan player even less interaction than in the last round of strat.
Smooth is the admin NA deserves. Not being that much better, EU deserves Thomek.
[18:25] <@chadz> soon(tm)

Offline HarunYahya

• Marshall
  • Renown: 965
  • Infamy: 309
  • cRPG Player
  • Proud Abdulla wielder
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BashiBazouks
  • Game nicks: HarunYahya,HarunShootya,Inan
  • IRC nick: HarunYahya
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2012, 04:46:21 pm »
chadz you may not like it, but thats the only way to play strat if your playing to win. Real life was the same, "carebear blocks" against each other, so why should a simulation be different. You need good allies to fill your rosters, you need good allies to fight when you have no members awake, you need allies to trade with, you NEED a block.
You need Allies, everyone needed allies be it in real life, or the game. Leaders lead and rest did as they were told or revolted and got crushed most of the time.
Harpag has simply written the brutal reality of strategus, if it disapoints you chadz im sorry but you've set the game up to require allies and mindless obediance from the masses.

Edit: Well this round of strat actually only required about 16 players too rule the world, so you've given the average clan player even less interaction than in the last round of strat.
Exactly.
There were crusaders vs mujahideens why no taoists , buddhists and shamans aswell ?
Cuz they either jonied jesus block or allah allah block to win.
For example turks , we came to anatolia with tengri and shaman beliefs , then we chose islam cuz we needed allies to survive .Arabs were closer to our borders therefore we chose that block. (Then we destroyed all our allies and ruled all that land and belief by ourselves  :lol: after that , we fought the other block , christians anyway...) Its always x vs y .
Because before z reaches the level of x and y , either x or y defeats or converts z to his side.
Simple as that.
Look at hundred years war , world wars, crusades , jihads , roman era battles anything ...
You'll see 2 sides.

Trying to change that is not a very bright idea.

Offline Beauchamp

• Earl
  • Renown: 427
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
    • Personal portfolio
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2012, 04:52:08 pm »
+1
koyama:
its not automatically a bad idea to change it. there are many board games where everybody plays for himself or mostly for himself (and i believe people have fun playing them, maybe way bigger than playing strategus). they require artificial rules though. but who says artificial rules are necessarily bad.

otherwise i absolutely agree - real simulation will end in real results. as you described.
OOODDIIINVALHALLAAAAAAA on the 20th of April 2011: What I know is that... heh, eh ja how can I explain? ...deh feeling to believe in Odin is right, dat is what I say, ja?!

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2012, 05:17:22 pm »
Exactly.
There were crusaders vs mujahideens why no taoists , buddhists and shamans aswell ?
Cuz they either jonied jesus block or allah allah block to win.
For example turks , we came to anatolia with tengri and shaman beliefs , then we chose islam cuz we needed allies to survive .Arabs were closer to our borders therefore we chose that block. (Then we destroyed all our allies and ruled all that land and belief by ourselves  :lol: after that , we fought the other block , christians anyway...) Its always x vs y .
Because before z reaches the level of x and y , either x or y defeats or converts z to his side.
Simple as that.
Look at hundred years war , world wars, crusades , jihads , roman era battles anything ...
You'll see 2 sides.

Trying to change that is not a very bright idea.

You saying BashiBazooka will turn on DRZ, Grey Order and everyone else and take their lands and tell them to SG and then fight rest of strat by themselves?

MASHALLAH!

Offline Erasmas

• Earl
  • Renown: 483
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The crows had come
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Erasmas_the_Grey
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2012, 05:19:41 pm »

C'mon chadz, this card was already played once... Playing it again you won't give you anything but encouraging haters. Is it really what you want to achieve? Or maybe is it another zystem feature for nerfing big clans, huh? :D?

Look, I do know Harpag personally for many years. We meet quite often, and talk a lot, mostly about how to get wasted, but sometimes also about Strat, cRPG, and how to - surprise surprise! - win this thing (because the purpose of any game is to win).  And I can tell you all that his - or mine if that matters - principal concern is to have fun, big battles, strong clan, good relations with allies and a nice tool to spend some time playing. No more and no less. So I do not see any sarcasm in Harpag's post, or even any bad will.   

And I do not think that creating a great alliances is ruining the game - for sure it is not for all clan members within such big alliances. And that is, as someone already pointed, a substantial part of Calradia population :D At the same time I absolutely positive that the game should provide space for a small and medium clans, even the single freelancers - playing as bandits, traders, vassals, spies, whores, village fools or whoever else. We all use the environment you (devs generally) created, so it is your job to make this guys' life easier. And you do it well, judging by incredible changes made from Strat 1.0 to 4.0.

And to you all who do not want to join big clan: do not underestimate your capabilities of making big clans' life difficult. Grey Order started having no fiefs at all with all this superpowers around, and we just tried to find our place on the map. And so we still do. 
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 05:24:43 pm by Erasmas »

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
  • Renown: 1049
  • Infamy: 651
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Man, I still play this shit?
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Anders_Astralis
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2012, 05:39:49 pm »
+3
And to you all who do not want to join big clan: do not underestimate your capabilities of making big clans' life difficult. Grey Order started having no fiefs at all with all this superpowers around, and we just tried to find our place on the map. And so we still do.

Strat 1:Took control of Gisim, got wiped by DRZ, joined DRZ, took over Swadia. Strat 1 end.
Strat 2: Took over swadia, Had 200 CD Keys, multiaccounting, the bad stuff, etc etc etc.
Strat 3: Took over swadia, Invaded Templars, Maybe some other stuff.
Strat 4: Took over Swadia, again. Nothing else yet.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 05:49:02 pm by Lt_Anders »

Offline Erasmas

• Earl
  • The crows had come
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2012, 05:47:20 pm »
Yep, that is more or less correct (except for 200 CD keys part - noone ever had 200 CD keys, so please do not mislead people). We did have our own share of fun.  That is what we play this game for.

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
  • Renown: 1049
  • Infamy: 651
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Man, I still play this shit?
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Anders_Astralis
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2012, 05:48:22 pm »
Yep, that is more or less correct (except for 200 CD keys part - noone ever had 200 CD keys, so please do not mislead people). We did have our own share of fun.  That is why we play this game for.

It's an exaggeration, but everyone knows strat 2 for your Multi accounting. That's why i posted that.

Offline Thovex

• Marshall
  • Renown: 851
  • Infamy: 210
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Thovex
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2012, 05:55:10 pm »
+2
It's an exaggeration, but everyone knows strat 2 for your Multi accounting. That's why i posted that.

Afaik it wasn't 1 grey with 100 keys and make ultra-chinese gold farm accounts, it was just that 1 grey had all the member accounts.

Offline Erasmas

• Earl
  • The crows had come
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2012, 06:02:37 pm »
Fair enough Mr. Lt., although only few people knows the true story behind it. I do not see the purpose of your post, though in the context of the entire thread.

BTW - this is the most user friendly Strat for freelancers. The sole fact of holding the fief has to the owner - personally and clan-wise - really limited value. You can only fiddle some economical parameters and earn some peanuts on taxes, but you can't limit the trade, only discourage trade in some particular locations. The bottom-line is that you can arrange for an army and eq without holding the fief. So why one would want the fief/castle/town? Cause it is easier to defend and to ... enjoy the siege :-) Oh, and to feed ones EGO as well.

The only motivation for majority of players is XP gain. And for that the battles are needed. Big battles :-) And for that big clans are a must.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 06:40:10 pm by Erasmas »