Author Topic: Chill with the elitism please  (Read 11204 times)

Offline Keltesh

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Frederick_Von_Spamberge, and >9000 alts.
Re: Chill with the elitism please
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2011, 08:54:30 pm »
Embrace the spam, let it flow through you.

My main, Frederick_Von_Spamberge has embraced the spam.  I use a flamberge or a great maul almost exlusivly.  I just don't like blocking, I can do it, I just don't like the whole block/parry/dance shit.

Most encounters go like this.  Duelest dances up to me spamming fients as I stand still just keeping them in my sights.  I will block or dodge their first strike (when they finnally stop all the pretentious fienting) then spam overhead with my maul untill they are dead.  Oh look I just killed Tyrian/Carebear/Otherelitest with my skilless spam.

Just remember that the winners write the history books.

Long live the spammers!

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2011, 08:55:07 pm »
Le well said +1
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2011, 09:00:19 pm »
Wait, people are popularizing spamming?

Now that's the spirit.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 09:04:11 pm by Christo »

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2011, 09:03:33 pm »
I know this may surprise you, but I know some guys who play on absolutely terrible machines with ~130 ping and absolutely wreck people after only a few weeks of playing, so I'm sorry, but your excuse of "I don't have an amazing computer and 2 ping and play all day, or else I'd be t3h best!" doesn't really work.

And I can finish a College Calculus class and get an A in it with only two hours or less of study per week, so am I to hold the entire world to this standard?

Some people gravitate to certain skills faster then others, as not only natural talent but also commitment are to be considered.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 09:04:42 pm by Tears_of_Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Keltesh

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2011, 09:17:34 pm »
And I can finish a College Calculus class and get an A in it with only two hours or less of study per week, so am I to hold the entire world to this standard?

Some people gravitate to certain skills faster then others, as not only natural talent but also commitment are to be considered.

This is the truth right here.

For furthar example, I have been able to just destroy in any first person shooter I have ever played, but no matter how hard I try I just can't seem to get good at rts games.  My friend is the opposite, no matter how we try to coach each other, I won't beat him at rts and he won't beat me at fps.

So some people will be good blockers, some are good spammers, just the way it is.  And I do firmly believe spamming is a skill.

Offline AzureSkys

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
  • per aspera ad astra
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Azure, Nihilanth
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2011, 09:22:59 pm »
Very good points Rhade and others. That puts a much better perspective on it and I was hypocritical in what you quoted. A few games I played years ago finally helped me grasp strategy and critical thinking when it was a mystery to me. I should redact that since, in fact, I play best when I haven't played in a while and my mind is more fresh.

My line of thinking for saying that was in regards to RPG styled games where time is a requirement for XP, money, better equipment and what not. There's a learning curve to know maps, know game mechanics, exploits, counters, and what not. So, when I've seen someone new to a game who plays it occasionally get rolled by a long time veteran who then gloats about their greatness, you can't help but roll your eyes a bit.

I also can't play RTS games, but do all right at FPSs.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 09:34:49 pm by AzureSkys »

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2011, 09:25:07 pm »
For furthar example, I have been able to just destroy in any first person shooter I have ever played, but no matter how hard I try I just can't seem to get good at rts games.  My friend is the opposite, no matter how we try to coach each other, I won't beat him at rts and he won't beat me at fps.

\derailment

Have you tried real time tactics games?  As in, games with little to no resource management?  I find them far more appealing than RTS and often far easier.

/derailment

Offline Mokkal

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Mokkal
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2011, 09:30:46 pm »

My main, Frederick_Von_Spamberge has embraced the spam.  I use a flamberge or a great maul almost exlusivly.  I just don't like blocking, I can do it, I just don't like the whole block/parry/dance shit.

Most encounters go like this.  Duelest dances up to me spamming fients as I stand still just keeping them in my sights.  I will block or dodge their first strike (when they finnally stop all the pretentious fienting) then spam overhead with my maul untill they are dead.  Oh look I just killed Tyrian/Carebear/Otherelitest with my skilless spam.

Long live the spammers!

Just for the record Tyrian is elite not an elitist.  He is almost always quiet while having the necessary talent to change the course of battles.

And well put Rhade.

Offline Elmetiacos

• Count
  • Renown: 175
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
  • You've probably teamkilled me
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Hot_Chick_with_a_Sword, Dark_Rose_Knight
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2011, 09:58:39 pm »

Long live the spammers!
That's not really spamming, that's just very aggressive fighting. Spamming is when someone who knows their wpf plus weapon speed makes them a lot faster than their opponent just mindlessly clicks the left mouse button as fast as they can knowing their victim never dares to stop blocking or lower their shield.

I love it when these would-be duellists get completely obsessed with feinting, so that they forget to actually launch a proper attack and you kill them...
The word is "anyway" not "anyways". You are not Gabby Hayes.

Offline Rhade

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: BkS_Rhade
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2011, 10:04:01 pm »

Now we're talking about different issues.

You should expect someone to be willing to get better, and trying their best. Just like you're talented at Math, it would most likely frustrate you to see people who aren't as good as you not trying to improve, but instead taking the easy way out at every opportunity. I don't get ragey when people are bad, I get ragey when people play scared and don't ever risk anything to attempt to become better, they always try to take the most safe, boring way out and in the result never become any better because they aren't taking any risks/learning/growing as a player. Same thing can be said for anyone who's talented at something and gets frustrated when they see others attempting to get to the same level they're at by taking the easy way and defending their shortcomings with excuses like "ping, computers, you play all day etc etc" instead of putting the blame on themselves for not challenging themselves and taking the risks/chances necessary to actually improve. I don't hold any hate for any "bad" player who honestly tries to improve and has the balls to actually try instead of just taking the easy way out at all points, in fact I try to help them as much as I can.

When someone is top tier at something, it shouldn't be said "WELL IF I SPENT AS MUCH TIME AS YOU ID BE GOOD TOO", that's just pathetic attempts to bring those above you down to make up for your shortcomings.

Edit:

Tyrian and Harmless are not "Would be" duelists, they are duelists and extremely top tier ones at that. You can bitch about "feinting" but neither of them really feint that much, when, in reality they both just have extremely good timing and control. Haters never stop hating.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 10:13:57 pm by Rhade »

Offline Keltesh

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2011, 10:04:41 pm »
Just for the record Tyrian is elite not an elitist.  He is almost always quiet while having the necessary talent to change the course of battles.

And well put Rhade.

Well, that just like your opinion man.

But ya, guess I've just seen him when he is whining about range (despite not packing a shield) or crushthrough killing him.

Dosen't mean much coming from me, to quote myself: "I bitch and spam, its what I do".  I just tend to take the game for what it is, an outlet for my bottled rage, I never take myself seriously.  I'm a humble narcissist.

EDIT: In response to Rhade's post.  Its a game, some people just don't put as much stock in games or improving game skill.  I personally try to improve, but that's because I put way to much stock in games.  But seriously if you get pissed off at people not giving a f*ck and having their own style of PLAY (as in game, as in not an important part of life) then you may have some deeper issues that you should seriously look at.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 10:11:09 pm by Keltesh »

Offline Rhade

• Peasant
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: BkS_Rhade
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2011, 10:18:12 pm »
Well, that just like your opinion man.

But ya, guess I've just seen him when he is whining about range (despite not packing a shield) or crushthrough killing him.

Dosen't mean much coming from me, to quote myself: "I bitch and spam, its what I do".  I just tend to take the game for what it is, an outlet for my bottled rage, I never take myself seriously.  I'm a humble narcissist.

EDIT: In response to Rhade's post.  Its a game, some people just don't put as much stock in games or improving game skill.  I personally try to improve, but that's because I put way to much stock in games.  But seriously if you get pissed off at people not giving a f*ck and having their own style of PLAY (as in game, as in not an important part of life) then you may have some deeper issues that you should seriously look at.

You can look at anything in life and say it's not important.

I don't give a fuck if it's chinese checkers, a video game, a business deal, work, a relationship, your fitness, a karate class, playing the flute, fucking your sister, I don't give a fuck what it is -- the point is, in all you do, you should strive to excel and improve. Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Furthermore, look up at the stars at night, fuckhead. You realize how small we are? You realize how, no matter what, on a big enough scale, the same logic you apply to video games "not mattering" because they're "insignificant" can apply to absolutely anything in life because when it comes right down to it, we're just insignificant beings existing on a rock for a brief flash in history and in 20,000 years (a blink of an eye in the galaxy's timeline), nothing we do is going to matter. I'd say you're the one who has some deeper issues, feeling that certain pursuits in life are more "important" than other pursuits because other people around you tell that it's so instead of realizing that the important pursuit in life is only your own happiness and the ability to approach everything you do with the attempt to adapt, excel, overcome, succeed and be elite in everything you do because all that matters at the end of your life is that you lived well, not what you did or who thought it was important.

Fucking sheep.

Offline Braeden

• Earl
  • Renown: 420
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • I hear the sound of drums
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Acre?
  • Game nicks: Braeden_Sanguine
  • IRC nick: Braeden
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2011, 10:20:50 pm »
Rhade will you play strategus?
pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease?

Offline Keltesh

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2011, 10:23:03 pm »
You can look at anything in life and say it's not important.

I don't give a fuck if it's chinese checkers, a video game, a business deal, work, a relationship, your fitness, a karate class, playing the flute, fucking your sister, I don't give a fuck what it is -- the point is, in all you do, you should strive to excel and improve. Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Furthermore, look up at the stars at night, fuckhead. You realize how small we are? You realize how, no matter what, on a big enough scale, the same logic you apply to video games "not mattering" because they're "insignificant" can apply to absolutely anything in life because when it comes right down to it, we're just insignificant beings existing on a rock for a brief flash in history and in 20,000 years (a blink of an eye in the galaxy's timeline), nothing we do is going to matter. I'd say you're the one who has some deeper issues, feeling that certain pursuits in life are more "important" than other pursuits because other people around you tell that it's so instead of realizing that the important pursuit in life is only your own happiness and the ability to approach everything you do with the attempt to adapt, excel, overcome, succeed and be elite in everything you do because all that matters at the end of your life is that you lived well, not what you did or who thought it was important.

Fucking sheep.

Am I allowed to call successful troll on myself?

Rhade, CHILL.  If you get this riled up you may need to re-prioritize your life.

Offline joshko

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Eastern Tsardom
  • Game nicks: Tsar Joshko
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2011, 10:27:56 pm »
Rhade that's silly.
+1 from the Eastern Tsardom