Poll

is this a problem for you?

ya
not really

Author Topic: something is seriously wrong with polearm thrust..  (Read 863 times)

Offline kono yaro!

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 127
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: b0nk
something is seriously wrong with polearm thrust..
« on: September 16, 2012, 12:18:10 pm »
+3
..on 2 directional polearms. if your opponent blocks your thrust he gets a free hit, even if you use the fastest spears. even with a 15/24 build you cant really get back far enough to manage to block unless you magically predict which attack theyre going to use and strafe in the opposite direction. this coupled with the stab turn nerf makes using spears really unattractive. i dont remember this being a problem with any spears besides the pikes back when i played as ludo. do i just suck?

on the topic of spears:

will you please give us a proper stab grip on the polearms so the rear hand (right) is closer towards the butt and actually takes advantage of the main point of spears... their length? this would be an indirect nerf to the insane reach of the 2h stabs.

Offline Ptolemy

• Weeaboo
  • Count
  • Renown: 257
  • Infamy: 182
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja
  • Game nicks: Nomin
Re: something is seriously wrong with polearm thrust..
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 01:37:55 pm »
+1
It does feel to me like polearm thrust stun is longer than other weapons - I could be wrong, but that's just the feeling that I get. When your main attack direction is the thrust, this is a big issue.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 05:13:19 pm »
If your polearm gets swatted away, it SHOULD take you longer to get it back into position for a block. What does it matter? You're 8 feet away.

Oh wait, no you aren't. You think that being able to stab someone from 2 feet away with an 8 foot pole should just be a matter of sticking it into the ground and spinning it up into the torso of the enemy.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Here's your *official* information on it.

I don't think there was any change to (defender) block stun ever. At least I can't remember any. I took another look at the stun code cmp delievered some time ago and  I found several things interesting:

1) There are only 2 different stun lengths, short(practically no stun) and long. Several attacker and defender variables(like weapon/shield weight) are used to figure out which of the two is used.

2) Attacker's weapon weight is only used for sideswings. Overhead gets a fixed bonus. Weapons above 3(?) weight should actually stun better on side swings(sceptical here, got to test). Defender weapon/shield weight is always used.

4) Blunt gets a bonus for attacker.

5) Attacker weapon gets most bonus if it's a 2h, then polearm, 1h is worst. Defender weapon gets most bonus if it's a polearm, then 2h, again 1h(no shield) is worst.

6) The slower the defender weapon the better it is to prevent stun. Does not apply for shields.

7) Stabs can't stun. Attacks with a hold bonus below 1.2(<0.2s holding time I think) can't stun.  Holding time between 0.5s and 0.6s gets most stun chance. Holding for longer lowers stun chance again. Doesn't go lower after 1.1s or more though.

8) Wider shields are better at defending against stun.

There was still some unknown stuff in the code which might be include raw damage(so overhead gets a buff) or speed bonus.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 05:18:44 pm by Rumblood »
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 06:05:13 pm »
+2
Here's your *official* information on it.
That information is for block stun, which is very different from thrust stun.

At any rate, thrust stun is a pretty silly mechanic that adds little to the game. You don't need to be using a pike for it to get you hit - getting blocked while stabbing with a poleaxe or greatsword will occasionally leave you stunned long enough for your opponent to get a hit in before you can block. Personally I'd like to see chambered thrusts keep the stun, and blocked thrusts lose it. Unfortunately I believe the two stun lengths are coupled.

e:
I was wrong, they aren't coupled. +1 for Canary below.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 06:59:33 pm by Vodner »

Offline Canary

• Marshall
  • Renown: 826
  • Infamy: 202
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 06:36:07 pm »
+3
Thrust getting blocked = baseStun * 0.55
Swing getting blocked = baseStun * 0.35
Thrust/swing getting chambered = baseStun * 0.4

(click to show/hide)

They're different, and a chambered thrust even receives less stun than a blocked thrust.

Offline kono yaro!

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 127
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: b0nk
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 04:31:52 am »
They're different, and a chambered thrust even receives less stun than a blocked thrust.

so nothing can be done then? what about wse? i still think somethings changed tho. pre-stab turn nerf patch i could fight LoR with an awlpike and still be able to block fast enough after hitting his shield. idgi

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 07:13:56 pm »
+1
Calm down pappy and learn to read old man.  The original post said "even if you use the fastest spears" aka not 8 foot long polearms.
 - Stolen from Macropussy