Author Topic: Xzibit pimped my Skyrim !  (Read 41137 times)

Offline Ujin

• King
  • Renown: 1057
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Xzibit pimped my Skyrim !
« on: September 11, 2012, 11:33:34 pm »
+28
Yeeeaaaah boooi   
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

So i got myself a new gaming pc and did what i wanted to do for a couple of months now - mod my Skyrim to the max and start playing it again (i actually never finished any major questlines in my previous playthroughs, except for companions).  Turns out the wait was worth it ! One evening of browsing through mods on SkyrimNexus , less than an hour of installations and there we go- a brand new, pimped out Skyrim !
Now don't get me wrong , this is not a bragging or an e-peen thread , i just really want to share my joy of this new playthrough and i'd also like to encourage people to try and give Skyrim another go. Some games start to truly shine with mods (hello M&B) and i believe this is the case here.

Vanilla skyrim may lack in balance (op enchanting,stealth,smithing etc), enemy variety (even the dragons get annoying and repetetive at some point) and in depth of it's skill system, but it surely always deliveres when it comes to creating an atmosphere of adventure and exploration, not to mention the great scenery. Now imagine most of Skyrim's flaws fixed and it's successes multiplied and you'll get an idea of what Pimped Skyrim is all about .

Now , let us get started.

I don't know whether this topic will interest anyone or not, if people will start showin signs of interest i'll try to go into more details, but for now i'll just make a brief presentation of some mods.

First and foremost , you will of course need the up-to-date version of Skyrim, preferably with Dawnguard. Although afaik, mounted combat and crossbows are available through patches without Dawnguard, some mods are updated for Dawnguard capatibility. But most of the time there are several downloadable  versions of mods , so Dawnguard is reccomended, but optional.

1.  Tendos Skyrim Redone.     http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/9286  You can read all the info about the mod here as well as d/l it

Where graphical and atmospheric mods are the icing on the cake, THIS mod is the cake. It fixes 90 % of Skyrim's flaws as an RPG. 
Here's just a small list of what it does and changes :

- Combat system redone. Enemies attack more often, block more often. Stamina determines the power of strikes. Counter blocking (clicking, not holding) ,depending on your perks, is way more efficient.Enemies also carry more different weapons and perks/spells. In general the combat is MUCH harder but also MUCH more exciting and rewarding.

- Scaling of enemies is there for the most part, however some places have enemies with a more static lvl, so you will have to come back there after you've done your Rocky training session, otherwise you'll get your ass kicked alot.

- Magic scales as you invest into it. Crapton of new spells for all schools of magic.

- 99 % of racial abilities are either tweaked or completely changed to be made unique. For example Khajit move faster and take half of the falling damage,while orcs have a bonus to smithing .

- implemented armors and weapons , with an option to d/l other armory mods that have compatibility plugins for this mod. Bazillion of new weapons types (spears,sabers,glaives,battlestaves) with new perk trees for specific weapon classes.

Last but not least , all the perk trees are completely redone. I can't stress  enough how brilliantly done most of them are now, the amount of options is staggering. You have an ability to smelt random useless stuff (like silver plates etc)  to get materials from it for Smithing. You have an ability to insta-kill anyone in their sleep as a stealth perk. You have Wayfayer perk tree which is sort of a ranger/survivor tree which allows you to move faster in wilderness, heal and buff yourself with different kinds of food (USEFUL NOW!) and study different sorts of creatures to a point where some of them won't even attack you. Oh and speechcraft, apart from being useful for trading and persuasion , now affects shouts (power, recharge and so on) .

All in all , this mod is amazing and turns the game into a real rpg with great in-depth mechanics.  It's a must have.

Some random screenshots of perk trees

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

2. WARZONES - Civil Unrest   http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/9494

A fantastic mod that creates numerous battlegrounds across Skyrim's map where certain groups of npcs fight each other, while you of course can join in and either kill everyone or help one side and gain reputation. The mod is actually lore friendly , so you'll see imperials fighting stormcloaks or whiterun guards battling it out with bandits , for example. Mod comes with in-game tools for reducing/increasing numbers of warzones, npc spawns etc. By the way mounted combat + Warzones = epic.

Like i said earlier , the mod is fantastic and together with Skyrim Redone can create endless numbers of exciting and tough battles. There is one really annoying flaw, unfortunately - it crashes to desktop quite often, for many people judging from the forum discussions. It may be either  some people's pcs not handling it (reducing the npc numbers can help then), or some coding problems. I can say that my pc can handle the big fights, however i still crash from time to time when i engage in certain warzones.
I'd be annoyed if not for the mod still being so damn fun, so i personally will keep it for now and hope for the CTD fixes in the nearest future.

Update : the WZ that frequently crashes for me is the one west of Whiterun, i've managed to fight in numerous others so far though.

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

3. Dragons Diversified  http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/13930

A mod which brings variety when it comes to dragon fights. Adds a great number of different types of dragons to fight against, all of them with unique skills and abilities. Makes dragon fights fun again and , well, diversified.
So far (i'm not doing the main storyline any further than Whiterun atm) i've encountered a Wild Dragon which uses all kinds of natural magic attacks (fire,ice,shock), a spectral dragon (g-g-g-ghost) and my personal favourite so far- illusion dragon , which creates 2-3 illusions of himself that can also attack you until you "shatter" them. Even the script dragon at whiterun tower summoned atronachs and did some other tricks.
Superb mod, doesn't make dragons OP , but together with SkyRe makes for some really intense and fun dragon encounters.

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

4. Become King of Riverhelm  http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/16374

A mod that let's you claim the throne of a custom made castle town. This is not just a huge player house with everything you need in it, it's full of voiceacted (in a funny way imo) npcs, buildings (even a tavern), courtyard , etc. There's progression (you can buy different ranks from Knight to King), there's a tax system, an arena and even some sewers with new enemies dwelling inside.

One minor problem that wouldn't affect much though - i think due to SkyRE the armors that come with this mod have 0 stats, so you'll be able to wear them , but only for cosmetic reasons, although i'm sure there's some other mods or just cheats that let you customize item stats anyway.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

5. Bandolier - Bags and Pouches http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/16438

A small mod that turns out to be so useful that it's nearly a must have. Let's you craft fully visible and lore-friendly pouches and bandoliers that allow you to carry more weight. Simply awesome, looks especially great on rogue-like armors.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

To be continued , if people will actually be interested in this . I  realise this is a wild (and probably stupid) gamble on my part and might be a waste of time, but i'm just that excited , lol. =)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 11:41:03 pm by Ujin »

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
  • Renown: 446
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SeQueL
  • IRC nick: SeQueL
Re: Xzibit pimped my Skyrim !
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 12:00:53 am »
+1
Don't get your hopes up to high, Skyrim will crush them.

Offline Ujin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 12:48:26 am »
Don't get your hopes up to high, Skyrim will crush them.
Didn't crush anything in my previous playthroughs, surely won't this time now that the game is x100 times more fun thanks to the mods.

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 01:34:02 am »
+2
Yeah its kind of been that way with TES games. Don't get me wrong, I loved morrowind, oblivion and skyrim in their own way (morrowind was by far the best). However I grew bored of skyrim much quicker than either of its predecessors. But mods have always been plenty for TES games and they always spice it up.

SO I don't doubt skyrim mods will spice it up for you. Hopefully enough to make it a brand new game. I just kind of wish the next one doesn't need the mods as much as skyrim did.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
  • Renown: 446
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SeQueL
  • IRC nick: SeQueL
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 01:57:17 am »
Yeah its kind of been that way with TES games. Don't get me wrong, I loved morrowind, oblivion and skyrim in their own way (morrowind was by far the best). However I grew bored of skyrim much quicker than either of its predecessors. But mods have always been plenty for TES games and they always spice it up.

SO I don't doubt skyrim mods will spice it up for you. Hopefully enough to make it a brand new game. I just kind of wish the next one doesn't need the mods as much as skyrim did.

Agreed, mods kinda shape the TES game and make up for what they lacked. As for Skyrim I was kinda let down due to my expectations, not gonna lie either but I haven't seen any mods yet that have made me want to pick up the game and go at it. The mod would probably have to revamp every dungeon as I grew bored of them VERY quickly.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 05:17:38 am »
+1
Skyrim is pretty much like oblivion and morrowind. Very good at first, wears off slowly but surely, but you can fix everything with mods.

Offline Everkistus

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No good deed goes unpunished
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Everkistus
  • IRC nick: Everkistus
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 08:23:47 am »
+1
Keep it up Ujin! I'll try Skyrim again one day and I want to try all the good mods that've gone up since I first started playing.

Offline Ujin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 11:31:27 am »
Agreed, mods kinda shape the TES game and make up for what they lacked. As for Skyrim I was kinda let down due to my expectations, not gonna lie either but I haven't seen any mods yet that have made me want to pick up the game and go at it. The mod would probably have to revamp every dungeon as I grew bored of them VERY quickly.
You really should check out that link for Skyrim Redone and look at all the changes made, it makes the game so much better.

I'm gonna have 2 different characters :
 sword n board roman style (short swords+shield bashing and blocking)  heavy  armored guy  for the imperial questline (+ Warzones fights vs stormcloaks ) + companions + bards college+ dawnguard "good guys" side + main storyline eventually

And a sneaky character (never liked stealth in vanilla, but the new Fingersmith stealing perks and Stealth rogue perks make it so much more appealing) that will kill people in their sleep and steal everything from everyone, which will actually be useful since in SkyRe stuff is more expensive and you sell things for cheap prices. Thieves Guild + Dark Brotherhood+ Stormcloaks +Mages college(Stealth perktree actually has perks for silent magic kills)+ dawnguard vampires side.

That way i can cover most of the game without it getting too repetetive , thanks to two totally different playstyles, not just combat wise. There is a stealth perk for example that allows you to disguise yourself as a member of any faction (forsworn for example) if you wear their full outfit and a master perk that lets you craft a hood and when you wear it you won't get any renown for your bad actions (Red Dead Redemption style).

In any case, this is just the two options i've decided to go with, there's countless ways of leveling your character now.

Oh and obviously i'm gonna keep upgrading the game with various quest/gameplay mods to prolong the fun.

@ Everkistus  -  alright then , i'll start adding new mods to the list when i come back home today =).

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 11:38:18 am »
Doesn't the skyre mod break brawls? Or are they meant not to work for khajiit/argonian characters? My fist attacks kill my opponents in brawls, they also draw weapons after i hit them a couple of times... Kind of breaks a ton of stuff...

Offline Ujin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 11:49:09 am »
Doesn't the skyre mod break brawls? Or are they meant not to work for khajiit/argonian characters? My fist attacks kill my opponents in brawls, they also draw weapons after i hit them a couple of times... Kind of breaks a ton of stuff...
Not so sure what you're talking about, are you certain you didn't have the "unarmed" weapon equipped during those ?

Offline [ptx]

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 11:51:43 am »
Not so sure what you're talking about, are you certain you didn't have the "unarmed" weapon equipped during those ?
Hmmmmmmm... You might be onto something, might try that again. Though i didn't really equip anything, you get fists coming up automatically, when you start a brawl and noone else reacted in any way apart from the opponent drawing weapon and running away.

Offline Ujin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 11:53:26 am »
Hmmmmmmm... You might be onto something, might try that again. Though i didn't really equip anything, you get fists coming up automatically, when you start a brawl and noone else reacted in any way apart from the opponent drawing weapon and running away.
You receive the " unarmed" weapon automatically at the begginig of the game, it's basically like a normal weapon in your inventory for hte unarmed combat perks in light weaponry.

Offline [ptx]

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 11:56:18 am »
I know, i use that on my khajiit char, it's just that even that should be unequipped automatically, when starting a brawl, right?

Offline Ujin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2012, 12:14:50 pm »
I know, i use that on my khajiit char, it's just that even that should be unequipped automatically, when starting a brawl, right?
Just did some minor research, it's a common glitch for many mods , here's what i found

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/23435

So Tendo (september 8) said that he'll include this fix in the next SkyRe update.

and i think you can install this http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/24020 , "user version" .

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2012, 02:26:30 pm »
+1
I personally recommend ASIS : http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/18436

This + SkyRe can make the game really challenging and the unexpected will happen. Due to randomized spawns, sometimes you will do a dungeon and have to flee halfthrough because further enemies are too tough/numerous.