Author Topic: Cav stacking  (Read 6817 times)

Offline PhigNewtenz

• Knight
  • Renown: 74
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Literally A Clan
  • Game nicks: Literally_PhigNewtenz, Literally_Not_PhigNewtenz
Re: Cav stacking
« Reply #90 on: September 17, 2012, 07:23:57 pm »
Charging with a lance was a revolution in the medieval art of war.
It need "étriers" ( I don't know the english word) and a dedicated cavalry with a sort of guard blocked under the shoulder to support the shock.
Before that, cav lances were used, more or less, for close combat. The speed factor was low because the rider could be dehorsed or release his weapon due to the shock.

Heavy Lance ( as it look) is not realistic.

There's a child board for realism discussion. The appearance of the heavy lance has nothing to do with game balance. That said, I like realism. If the heavy lance should look different, take a stab at creating a new model for it.

Offline Tovi

• Earl
  • Renown: 387
  • Infamy: 251
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: OdE
  • Game nicks: KrisTovi
« Reply #91 on: September 18, 2012, 08:15:32 am »
+1
In fact, you should not be able to use it as infantry lance. It's not just a question of appearence.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline OssumPawesome

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 57
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 18, 2012, 02:47:31 pm »
It would be sweet if class could be taken into account during balance decisions, but I feel this is pretty impractical.  =(

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 795
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 22, 2012, 08:52:32 am »
(click to show/hide)

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 795
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 22, 2012, 09:12:00 am »
imo:

i dont think cav is easy-mode comparred to so many other classes in the game. cav is not OP as such, cav amount is just too high and with that i guess we have a stacking issue - i totally agree with torben and the balance(r).

heres how i see why cav is superiour to infantry on public FFA servers:

cav dont have to co-op. cav can ride around (with very hi speed comparred to inf, and we all know how important speed is... right leoking + others? :D) on their own, picking out targets. infantry cant do that. infantry has to co-op on a semi-pro organised level to beat a stacked cav-team/clan, and that is pretty f*****g hard when playing public FFA...

besides all this i think a cav without a shield is plain lame. there, i said it (perhaps this belong more into the realism thread. cus to me, realism = gameplay. semi-lame examble: dayz, i love that mod/game despite all the bugs, id love a melee game completely realistic something like dead = perma dead, new toon and so on but hey thats just me :) )

simply as that. at least this is in my own private POV.

(yes i know i fail at capital letters, im lazy, so sue me. please disregard any noobish gramma and typos :) )

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #95 on: September 22, 2012, 11:36:55 am »
besides all this i think a cav without a shield is plain lame. there, i said it.
Fixed.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Mlekce

• Earl
  • Renown: 454
  • Infamy: 367
  • cRPG Player
  • Remove kebab
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard, ex Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Mlekce, Sergius
  • IRC nick: Mlekce
« Reply #96 on: September 22, 2012, 11:44:58 am »
Only thing worse then cav stacking is ranged stacking.

Offline Moncho

• King
  • Renown: 1127
  • Infamy: 221
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Moncho, Some_Random_STF, Some_Random_Troll
« Reply #97 on: September 22, 2012, 11:54:22 am »
Only thing worse then cav stacking is ranged stacking.

And even worse, ranged cav stacking

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 22, 2012, 12:17:22 pm »
that guy had mostly the right idea, just need to nerf the heavy lance, I keep saying make it 3 slots and reduce its damage by 1 or 2, lowering its reach wouldn't be too bad either but all its other stats are bad compared to lance/light lance besides reach so need to keep internal balance.

I think horses are internally balanced and general cav mechanics are fine, but heavy lance will win 1vs1 against anyone but 190+ reach weapons and ranged which is silly with all its other bonuses like insane damage, insta kill couch, 2 slot so can have full melee kit, doubles as excellent support/anti cav weapon when dismounted

just nerf that thing god damn the damage statistics when posted are a joke, mounted heavy lance is like 20 percent of all polearm damage at number 1 (padded by damage against horses but still silly), dismounted heavy lance ends up being in the top 5 any month i've checked.. blatantly op!
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline Carthage

• Knight
  • Renown: 25
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Guard
  • Game nicks: HG_Hamlicar, HG_Rommel, HG_PunicCarthage
  • IRC nick: Carthage
« Reply #99 on: September 22, 2012, 07:19:52 pm »
I agree about the heavy lance since after playing battle and noticing how everyone always fanned out and were picked of by enemy cav, I decided to make a cav-anti-cav class(basically a horseman who sticks close to his team to screen and ward off enemy cav. However I tried to do this with a light lance (since that's all I could use atm and I liked the high speed on it) and I could never touch the other cav because their MW heavy lance outranged my ass to the ground :(. Which forced me to get one if I wanted to compete and serve my purpose if I didn't want to use it.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #100 on: September 22, 2012, 08:32:07 pm »
+1
The game would be so much better more interesting if the regular or light lance was most used instead.

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 22, 2012, 08:46:55 pm »
+2
Thing is the lance and light lance already do a lot more damage with a lot more speed than heavy lance, and in fact are very usable.  I spent a while with a lance and found it easier to chaingun stab through blobs and do those quick pivot thrusts against cav from awkward angles that a heavy lance can't do.

However when it comes to man 2 man jousting or couching/thrusting at aware people, the heavy lance simply dominates on reach alone.  The damage values hardly even matter because every lance hits for tremendous damage doing max speed bonus pierce damage, and most cav just aim for horse's head which is a guaranteed 1 shot at top speed.

Think lances in general would need a rework instead of just tweaking damage/speed to bring their power levels in line.  Easily the most powerful weapons in the game when used effectively with no downside.
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline Arrowblood

• Duke
  • Renown: 508
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Arrowblood
« Reply #102 on: October 11, 2012, 02:54:40 pm »

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1761
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigåde
  • Game nicks: KuoiN, Ziath
  • IRC nick: Simply Kuoin
« Reply #103 on: October 11, 2012, 02:58:06 pm »

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #104 on: October 11, 2012, 03:00:34 pm »
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.