Poll

Do you agree this can be done, and be for the better of all?

Yes it can be done, No for the better of all
Yes it can be done, Yes for the better of all
No it can not be done, Yes for the better of all
No it can not be done, No for the better of all
Other Idea

Author Topic: Ranged and the crosshair  (Read 2356 times)

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
  • Renown: 1049
  • Infamy: 651
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Man, I still play this shit?
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Anders_Astralis
Ranged and the crosshair
« on: September 10, 2012, 04:48:21 pm »
+5
So I was wondering, Right now, we have a "accurate" cross hair. It gives you the approximate deviation of your shot, and where you are aiming.

Currently we have a archery crosshair like this:
(click to show/hide)

But what if we changed it to something like this for everyone:
(click to show/hide)

Only thing this would do is that archers, xbows, and throwers would have to adjust their shots based on tragectory that they see rather than having the game do it for them. They would still have a crosshair to see WHERE they are aiming, but the trajectory at longer ranges would require good aiming and adjustment(or "skill" since 2h greatswords always complain about that.)

Would this be viable or would people just change it to avoid dealing with it. Would archers agree? I just want to know if this is possible and would people not mind actually seeing this done.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 06:11:14 pm by Lt_Anders »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline dodnet

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 149
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolpertinger
  • Game nicks: DoD, DoD_Wolper
Re: Ranged and the crosshair
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 05:52:18 pm »
+3
Well the sad thing is, that if you remove the crosshair, archers just pin something to the middle of their monitor and its all like before.  :|
The logic of war seems to be that if a belligerent can fight he will fight.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 06:10:02 pm »
Well the sad thing is, that if you remove the crosshair, archers just pin something to the middle of their monitor and its all like before.  :|

not removing crosshair. You didn't read what it was. There's a single DOT there instead of the Tri-force thing we got now. Archers still got their aiming.

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 06:17:08 pm »
+8
But you know that you can replace the crosshair client-side? Even if it was removed, no one would care and only need to add one thing to the folder and voilá its back.
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline Silicium

• Count
  • Renown: 255
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A pilgrim
  • Game nicks: Silicium_The_Pilgrim, Silicium
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 06:19:25 pm »
+1
I wouln't mind but like miwiw said, you can change it client side.
One degree makes all the differencevisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Cymro on Phase application for Merc

Offline Templar_Steevee

• Duke
  • Renown: 613
  • Infamy: 128
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew-pew for victory!!!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Steevee, Templar_catchArabbit, Gangtroll
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 06:20:30 pm »
+1
For me tiny crosshair could be good, one or two days to get accostumed to it can be probably even better for long shots or headshooting
Archer forever :D

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 06:20:51 pm »
But you know that you can replace the crosshair client-side? Even if it was removed, no one would care and only need to add one thing to the folder and voilá its back.

Yea I know. But I wonder what would happen if we did do it this way for a bit. I just feel that there is got to be someway to make the cross hair induce a certain "judging" distance and timing on it rather that having the game do it for us. Plus I don't want it removed i just want the "effective shot area" to be gone so that you have to rely on your knowledge of the ranged weapon you are using and not just a "can i put him in the shot zone.

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 06:23:38 pm »
I guess about 50% of all Archers would try and stick to such a new crosshair. The rest would probably change it back client-side. Not sure if there was an improvement then. But if devs consider the idea, you would have my support.
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 06:25:38 pm »
+5
This. Additionally the crosshair that we have right now does nothing for "the game do it for them" when it comes to trajectory. The massive weird floaty three-point thing is not helping with any of that.

Additionally, using a mere dot will be a great detriment to Archery, crossbows not so much, but archery will greatly suffer as you can't tell the "sweet spot" for release (Eventually you learn the timing for the sweet spot as second nature, but you still need the visual cue to learn the timing to begin with). The dot idea is absolutely terrible for bows. Warband archery mechanics rely on the dynamic crosshair and is not static for a reason.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 06:29:24 pm »
I dont get it, archers already have to adjust their shots for long range, this would just make the crosshair harder to see.

Offline Wojtek_the_Kurwa_Great

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 30
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Wojtek
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 06:32:47 pm »
+1
THIS IS A FAIL THREAD.  SORRY.

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 06:33:19 pm »
This. Additionally the crosshair that we have right now does nothing for "the game do it for them" when it comes to trajectory. The massive weird floaty three-point thing is not helping with any of that.

Additionally, using a mere dot will be a great detriment to Archery, crossbows not so much, but archery will greatly suffer as you can't tell the "sweet spot" for release (Eventually you learn the timing for the sweet spot as second nature, but you still need the visual cue to learn the timing to begin with). The dot idea is absolutely terrible for bows. Warband archery mechanics rely on the dynamic crosshair and is not stain for a reason.

Incorrect. The tri-force cross hair shows you MAXIMUM deviation upon release at that point. It's the same for all ranged weapons. That's the point of the dot. You have to practice and learn your bows "sweet spot" and properly adjust your aim with it. You have a visual guide to give you an easy shot. I know this as I use a crossbow and I have a way I aim using it because it performs EXACTLY the same almost all the time when I do it. I use the crosshair to give me the accuracy to do that.

Also not really attempting to make it harder to see the crosshair(maybe make the dot bigger or something). I just used that as an example.(both are from the alternative crosshair that you can modify client side)

I do play as a ranged character(main is XBow, 1 Archer alt and 2 throwers). I went into this thread like this "What is an easy change that would make me have to understand my ranged weapon  without nerfing/buffing stats"
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 06:39:20 pm by Lt_Anders »

Offline sF_Guardian

• Marshall
  • Renown: 738
  • Infamy: 254
  • cRPG Player
  • In honour of Pepe the kindest baguette
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sad Hobo Guild, Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Peso, Dondergod, Hobo_loves_Pepe, Ras_Putin_the_stronk, FrenchBow_le_tarlouze, Forrest_Trump...
  • IRC nick: Peso
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2012, 06:40:09 pm »
+1
Incorrect. The tri-force cross hair shows you MAXIMUM deviation upon release at that point. It's the same for all ranged weapons. That's the point of the dot. You have to practice and learn your bows "sweet spot" and properly adjust your aim with it. You have a visual guide to give you an easy shot. I know this as I use a crossbow and I have a way I aim using it because it performs EXACTLY the same almost all the time when I do it. I use the crosshair to give me the accuracy to do that.

Also not really attempting to make it harder to see the crosshair(maybe make the dot bigger or something). I just used that as an example.(both are from the alternative crosshair that you can modify client side)

Since the crosshairs appereance is up to the client side, like you pointed out, changin it has no
use. Would just make the game unfair for those who dont want to mod their crosshair.
My 2cents.
I don't want to give a feedback to molly neither i want to ban him,I wanted to give advise high authorities to take his admin rights.Panos you monkey wrench where would u put this topic enlighten me you cancer fuck.

Offline Cup1d

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2012, 06:48:25 pm »
And how is your 3point crosshair works with HDR? Awful, right?

Offline BlueKnight

• Marshall
  • Renown: 983
  • Infamy: 200
  • If you run, you will only die tired...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2012, 09:35:05 pm »
People can adjust their own crosshair, can't they?

Skyrim UI