Author Topic: Taking on heavily armored 2h soldiers as 1h medium armor class?  (Read 1369 times)

Offline MrFail97

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Taking on heavily armored 2h soldiers as 1h medium armor class?
« on: September 09, 2012, 08:26:20 pm »
Hello,
I joined yesterday and found the game to be a ton of fun, but I can't help but noticing all the 2h soldiers... and how they aways kick my ass... how do I take on these heavily armored tanks with only lamellar armor, a nomad saber and a shield?

Offline gazda

• Earl
  • Renown: 483
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • Its almost harvesting season.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Saracens
  • Game nicks: Gazda_the_Swine
  • IRC nick: gazda
Re: Taking on heavily armored 2h soldiers as 1h medium armor class?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 09:26:56 pm »
my tactic is, i block their attack and then counter attack them till they're dead
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 10:08:54 pm »
+1
Make sure you close in with them so they don't outrange you.
Never counterattack until you hear them clink against your shield until you are very comfortable with how the game mechanics work and can recognize feints. Turn into your attacks for added speed bonus damage and so you can hit sooner then normal, aim for the head for extra damage.

Regardless, they are at an inherent advantage if wearing more armor then you, so you might want to consider not engaging them until you are comfortable as a shielder or attack them with a friend. 2Hers are designed to be suberb duelists, and shielders naturally thrive fighting multiple opponents at once (I find it genuinely easier to fight two people at once then one at a time) or taking advantage of massive clusterfights in the frontline by being opportunists and distractions. One vs One is missusing a shielder's natural strengths in my opinion.

Then again, I'm 12 so what do I know.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 10:12:19 pm by Tears of Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Froto_the_Loc

• Count
  • Renown: 252
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • CRaPGame
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Locia
  • Game nicks: Froto_the_loc
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 12:51:31 am »
2h is borked. No counter.

I wish you luck, though.
Hooray for customization and hybridization!
Down with monotonous pure classes!

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 12:54:34 am »
The goal is to just not get hit by them. If you can do that, you're on the right track.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 02:35:29 am »
backpedal and rightswing like a "high skill" 1hander, this outreaches all 2hand animations in game except stabs
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 08:16:06 am »
+1
backpedal and rightswing like a "high skill" 1hander, this outreaches all 2hand animations in game except stabs
And luckily for you most of the best 2hs got 120 reach so the 1h rightswing isn't close to outreaching any of them, and the 2h stab is one of the best attacks in the game.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 08:28:49 am »

An extra 6 length from your animation still means the vast majority of two handers will outreach you and won't really do much. This is terrible shielder advice, reach is the one thing you don't have over two-handers so why would you death-sentence yourself by S-Keying and doing exactly what they want you to do...
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 08:35:08 am by Tears of Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Spook Island

• Shitposter
  • Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 165
  • Infamy: 183
  • cRPG Player
  • Truth Teller
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 08:33:15 am »
+1
Put your shield away and take them on with a high speed 1hander.  Aim for the head.  1handers are a lot more powerful without a shield equipped, but you need to know how to manually block.

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 10:15:23 am »
An extra 6 length from your animation still means the vast majority of two handers will outreach you and won't really do much. This is terrible shielder advice, reach is the one thing you don't have over two-handers so why would you death-sentence yourself by S-Keying and doing exactly what they want you to do...

Right swings on a 1hander give you about 45 bonus reach, 2handers get about 30 reach on sideswings.  Most 1handed swords are 100 reach, and 2hand greatswords are 120 reach.  So if you use a right swing, you basically are swinging a greatsword yourself.  Odds are you have lighter armor and more athletics than a heavy 2hander as well.  The stab on a 1hander is about as long as right swings, but are definitely more predictable. 

If you are wearing lighter armor/have higher athletics then a 2hander, this lets you dominate a "range game" player.  You can simply backpedal so they miss a swing, then immediately close the distance with a right swing.  Or if they have their guard down, you wind up a right swing while far away and sprint at them while releasing and they won't know what hit them.  2handers expect to dominate shielders on reach and speed alone very often, so instead of "doing exactly what they want you to do" you are playing one step ahead and turning their expectations against them.  Shorter blunt/pierce weapons don't literally outreach greatswords, but you can deceive people and land in easy hits with right swings at safe distances still.

Of course, there is tried and true "facehug, circlestrafe to the right and spam left swings" which will effortlessly cut through bad players but will not work against a good kicker, blocker, or hiltslasher.  1handers can be confusing up close so you can do some feinting if they can handle spam.  Stabs on all weapons have seen a decent buff with better activation times and less glances, so if you ever switch to a weapon that can stab feel free to use it at any distance.

Probably the biggest hurdle for a new player against the average 2hand kuyak douchebag is footwork and aggression.  Until you get a hang of things, just backpedal if you need space and keep them on the center of your screen at all times.  Don't be passive either.  1handers are fast with great animations, and you can get 1-2 hits in for every single hit they get on your shield, sometimes more.  Don't let spammers spam your shield, just punish them with a quick sidestep and a good swing and melee will click pretty fast.
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline Zanze

• Earl
  • Renown: 366
  • Infamy: 69
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Raven_Zan
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 02:21:16 pm »
Footwork. It takes a lot of headbashing against the wall, but I assure you that it will break at some point. Once you have your footwork down the name of the game changes to killing them before they break your shield.

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 04:29:04 pm »
+2
Try a lot of weapons too, don't be fooled by shop prices there is no "best" 1h. The most expensive one, the long espada enslava is actually a very tricky and specialized weapon (it's for people who stab like 70% of the time, which not many people do). The longer straight swords at top of shop list actually have serious drawbacks, they are good for AGI chars who skirmish but not so great at close range, their sweetspots are kinda small so they glance a lot unless you know them well, and their damage is actually a bit low so you will have trouble vs heavy armour guys.

Basically go to 1h shop, go to Nordic Short War Sword and start trying weapons from that point on, 90% of them are solid weapons that have some nice, unique characteristics and you need to find one you like and are comfortable with its strengths and downsides. Then stick with it for a while and really get to know its range and timing. Also spectate shielders you see who are doing really well on charts and note their combat movements and what they do to they land hits on other players. You may not see the subtleties of their actions at first, but they are there.

Offline Joseph Porta

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 234
  • cRPG Player
  • (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻. take all my upvotes! Part-time retard
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild Enthousiast,
  • Game nicks: Wy can't I upvote my own posts, Im a fucken genius, yo.
  • IRC nick: Joseph_Porta
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2012, 04:49:27 pm »
+1

Fact is right swing is underused, ofcourseyou dont right swing while the 2her has already started his stab animation but you can time it right and actually outreach them sometimes, 90% of the shielders spam left/overhead feints/hold combos, whilst right swing  & stab are very usefull.

Stab tip: stab from the left to the right(animation wise), from my experience stabbing from the left to the right is easier to control then right to left.

Not that you have use for this if you use a nomad saber, but with 87 length people often underestimate the reavh of the right swing since your weapon is faily short they will soon think they are in the safe zone, the a sneaky right swing can do the trick. :) i love right swinging with short weapons tbh. :)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 04:54:14 pm by Joseph_Porta »
I loot corpses of their golden teeth.
But he'll be around somewhere between Heaven and The Devil, because neither of them will take him in, and he'll be farting loudly and singing a filthy song.

i'll be there at around
chadztime™