Author Topic: Weapon balance  (Read 1020 times)

Offline woody

• Earl
  • Renown: 407
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Woody, Weebo, Wreky
Weapon balance
« on: September 07, 2012, 02:53:50 pm »
+13
Its outrageous, whatever other people use is op and whatever I use with whatever alt is nerfed.

Please buff everything I use and nerf all else otherwise its ridiculous and totally unfair and I'm writing to my MP and mummy about it. My ladybird book of history and Derek the pub martial arts/historical weapons/real ale/pork scratchings/large hadron collider expert clearly says my weapons were best, whatever they happen to be, so it must be true.

Whatever I will continue to post whines in chat during games about how I was killed by noob with overpowered (please insert whatever weapon used here) along with my many, many,many like minded comrades.

Offline Lizard_man

• Marshall
  • Renown: 717
  • Infamy: 153
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Lizard_man, Jinmenju
Re: Weapon balance
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 03:12:04 pm »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 338
  • Sky belongs to Asagods as long as the raven flies.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Son_Of_Odin
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 03:16:33 pm »
+2

There is no sight in my third eye

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 04:13:19 pm »
He's making fun of all the whiney bitches on the forums who are too stupid or stubborn to change something about their play style that's causing them strife.  The people who would rather bitch and complain than take responsibility into their own hands.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 04:18:32 pm »
+2
Its outrageous, whatever other people use is op and whatever I use with whatever alt is nerfed.

Please buff everything I use and nerf all else otherwise its ridiculous and totally unfair and I'm writing to my MP and mummy about it. My ladybird book of history and Derek the pub martial arts/historical weapons/real ale/pork scratchings/large hadron collider expert clearly says my weapons were best, whatever they happen to be, so it must be true.

Whatever I will continue to post whines in chat during games about how I was killed by noob with overpowered (please insert whatever weapon used here) along with my many, many,many like minded comrades.

+1 for honesty

He's making fun of all the whiney bitches on the forums who are too stupid or stubborn to change something about their play style that's causing them strife.  The people who would rather bitch and complain than take responsibility into their own hands.

Surely everything is perfectly fine and strictly nothing needs to be changed. Even though I disagree with the op, your opinion is quite extreme.

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 04:19:57 pm »
~Guy who bitches about the turn nerf, losing his polestun, and gaining a shitposter title.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Lizard_man

• Marshall
  • Renown: 717
  • Infamy: 153
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Lizard_man, Jinmenju
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 04:32:23 pm »

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 04:38:09 pm »
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Strategus Councillor
  • Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 05:00:21 pm »
Surely everything is perfectly fine and strictly nothing needs to be changed. Even though I disagree with the op, your opinion is quite extreme.

Well personally I think everything is fine now, and was fine a year ago before a lot of the nerfs they implemented.  Even after all the nerfs and buffs, the game is still very well balanced, IMO. 

Almost every situation in game has a counter to it.  Every class has strengths and weaknesses.  There is literally nothing in the game that I have encountered that left me saying "that's really bullshit, there's nothing you can do to counter that". 

Most of the people who ask for nerfs are too stubborn or ignorant to overcome the problem by themselves, even though most of the time, that solution is able to be figured out and implemented by them in game. 

Having discussions about balance, and equipment stats is perfectly fine, and I would encourage it.  Crying about something, when you have the power to change your actions and affect the outcome differently, and refusing to do so, is what you mostly see on the nerf/whine threads.

And Zilsch, my default stance is that you don't need a nerf or a buff to the game to "balance" it out.  The game is pretty well balanced, and nothing is overpowered (in my mind).  I never "bitched about" turn nerf, or about losing polestun (I think you mean pole stagger).  I did bitch about my shit poster title because I'm nowhere near as bad as a lot of people on these forums, most of my posts are given some thought and reason to it (unless it's obvious that I"m fucking around, some people still like to have fun sometimes).  I have said that the turn nerf affected a lot of weapons which were not the problem they were trying to fix. 

And yes, I feel that I can bitch about nerfs, because I don't think nerfs are necessary at this point in the game's development, and nerfs always have unintended consequences, which usually require or lead to more nerfs.

- Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 08:40:35 pm »
+1
Well personally I think everything is fine now, and was fine a year ago before a lot of the nerfs they implemented.  Even after all the nerfs and buffs, the game is still very well balanced, IMO. 

Almost every situation in game has a counter to it.  Every class has strengths and weaknesses.  There is literally nothing in the game that I have encountered that left me saying "that's really bullshit, there's nothing you can do to counter that". 

Most of the people who ask for nerfs are too stubborn or ignorant to overcome the problem by themselves, even though most of the time, that solution is able to be figured out and implemented by them in game. 

Having discussions about balance, and equipment stats is perfectly fine, and I would encourage it.  Crying about something, when you have the power to change your actions and affect the outcome differently, and refusing to do so, is what you mostly see on the nerf/whine threads.

And Zilsch, my default stance is that you don't need a nerf or a buff to the game to "balance" it out.  The game is pretty well balanced, and nothing is overpowered (in my mind).  I never "bitched about" turn nerf, or about losing polestun (I think you mean pole stagger).  I did bitch about my shit poster title because I'm nowhere near as bad as a lot of people on these forums, most of my posts are given some thought and reason to it (unless it's obvious that I"m fucking around, some people still like to have fun sometimes).  I have said that the turn nerf affected a lot of weapons which were not the problem they were trying to fix. 

And yes, I feel that I can bitch about nerfs, because I don't think nerfs are necessary at this point in the game's development, and nerfs always have unintended consequences, which usually require or lead to more nerfs.

There's a big difference between fine and perfect. As time goes by, balance changes are made by smaller increments, which is only logical since we are closer to a balanced game. But these small adjustments must be made. Also, patches keep the mod fresh, even when they break things (afterall we are here to test and most of the really bad changes were toned down or even rolled back sometimes).

That it is possible to counter any situation in the game by playing in a certain way isn't relevant, as is moaning and bitching about how things are/need to be changed in a non-constructive way. What is relevant is what happens statistically in the game.

Furthermore, the ideas of what is a "nerf/buff" and what is "the game as it is" are pure illusions. The mod evolved a lot during these 2 years. I can't think of anything that hasn't been changed. Why would the changes that were made earlier under different conditions be more accurate to answer the balance problems of today than what is done now ?

As an example, I think the turn rate nerf is a step in the right direction, but it needs to be correlated to the weight and lenght of weapons. Actually the situation of 1h weapons before the nerf was reasonably realistic and more balanced than it is now IMO.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 03:02:25 am by Kafein »

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2012, 09:34:42 pm »
K
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 09:37:40 pm »
+6

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Strategus Councillor
  • Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 10:05:39 pm »
I has a confused
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2012, 03:02:45 am »

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2012, 03:34:02 am »
+1
Buff Swashbuckling
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art