Author Topic: Making my own build, hows this look? (lancer/ground-poleaxe)  (Read 2432 times)

Offline WhiteAndMilky

• Knight
  • Renown: 32
  • Infamy: 16
    • View Profile
Making my own build, hows this look? (lancer/ground-poleaxe)
« on: September 04, 2012, 03:34:39 am »
EDIT: I have left the original post info, but I am adding in my new build plan at the bottom of this post.

Hello, I used the calculator, and came up with this build that I thought might be fun for me to try out next. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcomed!

Playstyle: I'd like to ride around as cav in light/medium armor with a lance, maybe on a destrier, arabian, or courser, until I get lanced to the ground. At which point I will switch to my poleaxe and try to hack and slash my way out of my predicament. Damage is my main objective, with enough athletics and agi to move about at decent-normal rate.

Level 30 (4 420 577 xp)

Strength: 21
Agility: 15
Hit points: 70

Skills to attributes: 2

Ironflesh: 7
Power Strike: 7
Shield: 0
Athletics: 5
Riding: 5
Horse Archery: 0
Power Draw: 0
Power Throw: 0
Weapon Master: 5

One Handed: 1
Two Handed: 1
Polearm: 148
Archery: 1
Crossbow: 1
Throwing: 1

I am new, and have yet to ride horses in cRPG, so if I made some big mistake in my build, please let me know!!

Also what are the riding level requirements for horses up to destrier? Thanks!

EDIT:

Changes:
1. I will be using medium price-range polearm axes and maces as my secondary, and quarter staff if I need to use a secondary that takes up only 1 slot. Weapon combos I had in mind:

• Great Lance / Long Hafted Knobbed Mace. This gives me close range fighting weapon with knockdown, for when I may need to drop the lance (since it is only couchable)
  • Heavy Lance / Long Axe. Probably my main weapon setup
  • Pike / quarter staff (My main is a pikeman, so I am comfortable using this combo on maps that are not cav-friendly, or on seige. This is also a good way to farm gold for me.)
  • Red Tassel Spear / Long Hafted Knobbed Mace (For seige mostly, mace can be exchanged for an axe when needed)
2. Riding is now 6. This will give me the option of changing my gear and horses around when I like depending on the situation (not stuck with just destrier then) This will let me play more armored when I like, or faster and lighter on a courser.

3. Lower IF but higher athletics, I pan on wearing lighter armor and I don't have the best ping, which makes it hard to block manually. So more speed will let me fight/escape easier when I get dismounted.

Level 31 (8 892 403 xp)

Agility: 18
Hit points: 62

Skills to attributes: 6

Ironflesh: 3
Riding: 6

Polearm: 149

Also when I get low on funds, I plan to use the rouncey.  so what do you guys think of my new setup?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 12:51:17 pm by WhiteAndMilky »

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • Renown: 276
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Caita_KUTT, Fellys_KUTT
Re: Making my own build, hows this look? (lancer/ground-poleaxe)
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 12:03:07 pm »
+2
I don't see anything wrong with the build itself, but I'd suggest using something other than a poleaxe as your alternate weapon to the lance. That, plus a lance, plus armor, plus a horse is going to annihilate your wallet.

Take a look around at the mid-tier polearms instead, many of them are extremely effective and cost a fraction of what the poleaxe does. (Long Axe, Long Bardiche, and Hafted Blade to name a few)

Also, the riding skill requirement for horses is simply the "difficulty" listed on the site. So the Destrier, for example, has 5 riding requirement.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Grumpy_Nic

• King
  • Renown: 1023
  • Infamy: 306
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Hermann_von_Krems
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 01:01:21 pm »
+1
Looks good.
With 5 riding you wont be able to use arabian or courser though. But Destrier is one of the best horses anyway. I'd also suggest something else than poleaxe. With 7PS I would suggest an axe, like Zerran suggested for example the Long Axe.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 01:35:56 pm »
+3
Long Hafted Knobbed Mace is a very good secondary polearm.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 04:53:19 pm »
If you're not using a shield, and only using polearms for WPF you could go 21/18 (or 24/15) but you'd have to give up IF and drop WM some.  If you're going to be riding a 5 difficulty horse (and not a courser) then I'd go 24/15, not 21/18 (just modify the one below).

See what you think of this:

Hit points: 56

Skills to attributes: 8

Athletics: 6
    Weapon Master: 4
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline WhiteAndMilky

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 02:31:40 am »
Yeah I actually changed my mind after I posted, and wanted to use the long axes and long maxes as my secondary instead, perhaps alternating between them depending on the map type. Most likely not the most expensive of these types though, I prefer weapon speed, and the lower priced ones seem to be faster and also cost less to repair.

If you're not using a shield, and only using polearms for WPF you could go 21/18 (or 24/15) but you'd have to give up IF and drop WM some.  If you're going to be riding a 5 difficulty horse (and not a courser) then I'd go 24/15, not 21/18 (just modify the one below).

See what you think of this:

Hit points: 56

Skills to attributes: 8

Athletics: 6
    Weapon Master: 4

What advantages would this give me? Just the faster walking speed and access to Arabian and Courser? I don't mind the walking speed, and I like being a bit tougher, since my ping makes it tough to parry. I can block 2H sometimes, but its almost impossible to block 1h swings.

I have made this character, and I actually already have 5 WM , but I'm only at like 825,000 xp right now (level 21) so it wouldn't be THAT big a deal to respec if you really thought I should.

Offline Sarpton

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Hurlbat
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 05:25:10 am »
Long Hafted Knobbed Mace is a very good secondary polearm.

This or the Long spiked mace. both are very nice.

Offline PhigNewtenz

• Knight
  • Renown: 74
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Literally A Clan
  • Game nicks: Literally_PhigNewtenz, Literally_Not_PhigNewtenz
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 03:57:20 pm »
That's the build that I'm running right now, and I'm fairly happy with it. A note on survivability: have you considered running a shield? It would mean taking a crappy 1-slot polearm as a sidearm or getting 1H proficiency and a weapon, but it helps a lot with keeping you and your horse alive. I missed my shield this gen.

My plan for next gen:

(click to show/hide)

A couple points:
  • Most of your mounted damage comes from your horse's speed, so trading one power strike for one riding won't cost you very much.
  • 6 riding would at least let you try a Courser. Finding a Champion Courser and taking it for a spin is something everyone should do at least once. Those things travel at around Mach 2.
  • If you do decide to forgo the shield and go pure polearm, consider the Fauchard as a secondary. It's damage isn't huge but it's fast and long, things that will ward off enemy lance cav if they down you and come back to try to kill you. The lower upkeep will also let you ride your horse more often!

Offline WhiteAndMilky

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 08:46:56 am »
I have edited the original post to include this new plan... soooo bump!

Changes:
1. I will be using medium price-range polearm axes and maces as my secondary, and quarter staff if I need to use a secondary that takes up only 1 slot. Weapon combos I had in mind:

• Great Lance / Long Hafted Knobbed Mace. This gives me close range fighting weapon with knockdown, for when I may need to drop the lance (since it is only couchable)
  • Heavy Lance / Long Axe. Probably my main weapon setup
  • Pike / quarter staff (My main is a pikeman, so I am comfortable using this combo on maps that are not cav-friendly, or on seige. This is also a good way to farm gold for me.)
  • Red Tassel Spear / Long Hafted Knobbed Mace (For seige mostly, mace can be exchanged for an axe when needed)
2. Riding is now 6. This will give me the option of changing my gear and horses around when I like depending on the situation (not stuck with just destrier then) This will let me play more armored when I like, or faster and lighter on a courser.

3. Lower IF but higher athletics, I pan on wearing lighter armor and I don't have the best ping, which makes it hard to block manually. So more speed will let me fight/escape easier when I get dismounted.

Level 31 (8 892 403 xp)

Hit points: 62

Skills to attributes: 6

Ironflesh: 3

Polearm: 149

Also when I get low on funds, I plan to use the rouncey.  so what do you guys think of my new setup?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 12:50:27 pm by WhiteAndMilky »

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 11:59:09 am »
Looks good, except for this part:
(click to show/hide)
Long Spear is 3 slots and Long Hafted Knobbed Mace is 2. That doesn't work D:
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.

Offline WhiteAndMilky

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 12:49:36 pm »
Looks good, except for this part:
(click to show/hide)
Long Spear is 3 slots and Long Hafted Knobbed Mace is 2. That doesn't work D:

Ooh good catch. I had only used it with quarter staff. So I thought the pike was the only 3 slotted. I'll fix it up with red tassel spear instead, it's sheathable too.

Thanks!

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 12:50:55 pm »
Ooh good catch. I had only used it with quarter staff. So I thought the pike was the only 3 slotted. I'll fix it up with red tassel spear instead, it's sheathable too.

Thanks!
No problem!

These are the 3-slot items, btw:
Pike, Long Spear, Long Maul and Great Maul.

Offline WhiteAndMilky

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 12:57:45 pm »
No problem!

These are the 3-slot items, btw:
Pike, Long Spear, Long Maul and Great Maul.

I actually didn't know the great maul was 3 slots either!

Also, on siege if I am only going to need 1 melee weapon, I often will bring a hunters xbow and steel bolts. Without any WPF it's crazy inaccurate, but it keeps archers from just backpedaling me when I got close. Ans it helps to defend ladders too.

So some other non-cav maps Or on seige I might use hunters xbow / (spear, mace, axe)

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • Renown: 1268
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remnant_Dexxtaa
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 09:50:21 pm »
I liked your initial 21/15 build.

It knew what it wanted to do (infantry support), and is good at it. The new one (21/18) is trying to be a lancer/ground-pounder/infantry support unit while trying to be viable. Jack of all trades, master of none.

I'd advocate the original build, because at 3 ironflesh (with the new build), you're not surviving any kind of dehorsing. Remember the circumstances of your rider. What kind of scenario are you basing the build off ? Will you be near teammates most of the time ? Will you be waist deep in enemy axes and swords when your horse goes down?

Building you character is fine and jolly, but outside the lab - in the battlefield - it's a very different game.

edit: my build is an infantry support build, somewhat similar to your initial proposed build. Capable on the ground, and able to ride if my team needs a sweeper. That's it. I don't try to shoot, I don't try to hit and run, I don't try to do what I cannot (unless we're scrimming).

I run defense for my infantry teammates, and take down anything that is an immediate threat to my teammates' (flanking cav, agility builds etc). Your new build will be more for lancing (hit and run, trying to couch the spawners etc), you will find that your combat potential on the ground will be hampered because of the combination of your low athletics and ironflesh. 
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 09:55:35 pm by Dexxtaa »

Offline agweber

• Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Beware the Coming of the Great White Handkerchief
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FIDLGB
  • Game nicks: Armentia, Ranged
  • IRC nick: agweber
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2012, 05:43:42 pm »
I liked your initial 21/15 build.

Damn good response, wish I had gotten this response on my similar build but with a shield. I recall Dex commenting in-game about a week ago that I decided to go lance around for a bit and not doing so hot for my team, and now I understand why. I will definitely be more supportive when I go lancing now.