Author Topic: Making my own build, hows this look? (lancer/ground-poleaxe)  (Read 2434 times)

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
Re: Making my own build, hows this look? (lancer/ground-poleaxe)
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2012, 05:55:02 pm »
Damn good response, wish I had gotten this response on my similar build but with a shield. I recall Dex commenting in-game about a week ago that I decided to go lance around for a bit and not doing so hot for my team, and now I understand why. I will definitely be more supportive when I go lancing now.

I didn't go into reasonings and details, but you listed this as one of your builds:

Strength:        21
Agility:         15

Skill to attr:    2

Ironflesh:        3
Power Strike:     7
Shield:           4
Athletics:        5
Riding:           5
Weapon Master:    5

Polearm:        146

And I responded: 

Use the minimum amount of agility you need for whatever your riding skill will be.  So since it's 5 in all your builds, I would only go 15 agility.  So something like your last build is exactly what I would suggest for someone who wants polearm and shield skill (and riding). 

You would have maxed your athletics and you had put all your points into your main skills, and then threw the left overs into IF.  That's exactly what you should do for a 5 difficulty horse, and still be very effective on the ground.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline agweber

• Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Beware the Coming of the Great White Handkerchief
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FIDLGB
  • Game nicks: Armentia, Ranged
  • IRC nick: agweber
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2012, 05:58:14 pm »
I did like your response, and it will likely be the one I go with. But what I liked about Dex's response here was the reasoning on building a support character. One that can work as part of a group instead of running off and just trying to solo, but still keeping the ability to hop on a horse and try to take out the threats to the group.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2012, 06:06:45 pm »
yeah it was definetely an in depth response, and I probably should have given some reasoning behind my answer (and include that I'm a 12th gen cavalry lancer who has always had shield/1h as well, except for 1 gen). 

Having more riding than your horse requires is nice for the little extra speed/manuever, but it's not worth giving up that 3 extra strength, and 1 extra power strike you can have instead. 

as a 1h/shield/polearm/riding build, I would always recommend maxing WM (or almost maxing) and max athletics, riding and power strike.  You only need 4 shield skill max for riding, and you could even get away with 2 or 3 if need be (although I would recommend against it).  And ironflesh is certainly nice if you can afford it, but I'd give it up in a heart beat in order to max the other skills (besides shield).
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • Renown: 1268
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remnant_Dexxtaa
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2012, 09:04:16 pm »
Damn good response, wish I had gotten this response on my similar build but with a shield. I recall Dex commenting in-game about a week ago that I decided to go lance around for a bit and not doing so hot for my team, and now I understand why. I will definitely be more supportive when I go lancing now.

I didn't see your post, otherwise I would have commented on it, Armentia. I enjoy working with you in-game very much. You're a solid support, and I feel comfortable with you when I move into battle with you checking my back. pm me your Steam if you'd like, and I'd be more than happy to help you with whatever you need!

But moving back to the build thing, remember that the circumstances of your character and your personal playstyle will impact your mortality much more than the numbers on your skills and attributes.

Your armor should augment your build, which in turn should augment your general playstyle. I have alts that I like to screw around on (crossbows, agility pikers etc), but none will perform as well as my main BECAUSE of the situations I put my main character in. It builds on how I play the game. As a result, my combat mentality matches my main build much better than any of my other alts.