Author Topic: What the hell is up with the upkeep system?  (Read 2913 times)

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
What the hell is up with the upkeep system?
« on: August 31, 2012, 12:56:12 pm »
+1
I know this is getting rather old  to hear: Cav OP, archer OP,2h OP, your moms butt OP, upkeep sucks, but what the hell?

I always tought that the upkeep system was being fair, cause I played with heavy armor. Now I played with extremely light armor for many many many hours/days, the only thing that costed anything was my greatsword and I still gained no money at all. And the x5 wasnt very rare aswell. I mean wtf? I feel like im getting conned here by the local blacksmith who keeps repairing my stuff with dirt. Cant we fix this? Cause I dont feel like going naked with a 2h stick.

Offline Fips

• King
  • Renown: 1217
  • Infamy: 290
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Fips_HRE
Re: What the hell is up with the upkeep system?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 01:07:29 pm »
Melee should not be complaining about upkeep. The ones who can complain are cav and archers. Arrows and Horses are the things that make me lose money =O
I never lost money with my 2h, no matter what gear i used.

Offline wayyyyyne

• Marshall
  • Renown: 725
  • Infamy: 233
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 01:52:51 pm »
+4
I make about 200k each gen by using a tribal warrior outfit some low tier boots, gloves and helmet. I got either my german or danish great sword equipped 75% of the time.

What's your definition of "light armor" anyway? Kuyak? Also remember that items that use up 2 slots have twice the chance to break per round.

Offline Toodles

• Knight
  • Renown: 76
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
  • DON'T CHASE CAV
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Merc_Bjorn
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 02:08:07 pm »
Also remember that items that use up 2 slots have twice the chance to break per round.

DID NOT KNOW!

Making decent amount of money with 35,795 gear cost and 2,503 max upkeep though.

Offline Tovi

• Earl
  • Renown: 387
  • Infamy: 251
    • View Profile
  • Faction: OdE
  • Game nicks: KrisTovi
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 02:13:58 pm »
If you have 2 of 3 slots of the same we same weapon ( ex jarids ). Does it increase the risk of breaking ? I'm not sure they can break 2 on same round. I'll check this out.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 02:35:23 pm »
Blue Brigandine over Aketon, pantyhose and blue hood. And sometimes I go monks robe. Its basically light armor. And I dont gain shit. I mean, yea....sure, I dont loose much, but I dont gain anything here either.

How did people earn the money for looms and shit in the first place? I dont remember the upkeep system being so brutal when I started playing.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 02:38:43 pm »
If you have 2 of 3 slots of the same we same weapon ( ex jarids ). Does it increase the risk of breaking ? I'm not sure they can break 2 on same round. I'll check this out.
You can break the same item twice if you got it equipped in multiple slots.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Patoson

• Marshall
  • Renown: 784
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 02:39:48 pm »
Yes, it does. If I equip two great swords, there is a chance that both of them might get repaired. If you play an archer, you will see your two quivers being repaired quite often.

Offline wayyyyyne

• Marshall
  • Renown: 725
  • Infamy: 233
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 02:45:12 pm »
Blue Brigandine over Aketon, pantyhose and blue hood. And sometimes I go monks robe. Its basically light armor.

The Brigandine is not. That's somewhere in the medium range.
You might wanna have the max amount of weaponmastery your build allows since weapon repair chance is dependant on your WPF. Really becomes noticable when you're using one of the 10k+ weapons.

Oh and overall upkeep used to be like 1/2 of what it is nowadays and the xp bonus was 100 for each gen with no cap.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 02:52:39 pm by wayyyyyne »

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 02:47:22 pm »

Both sets can break.

Anyway, never had trouble with upkeep with any character and I've played everything but (dedicated) thrower from horseback.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 02:48:59 pm »
The only time I have an issue with upkeep is when I use 3 or 4 MW items or put on a bunch of heavy shit + a couple looms. I don't see any issues with it. I'm not really making any money, but don't need it either.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2012, 03:12:35 pm »
Melee should not be complaining about upkeep. The ones who can complain are cav and archers. Arrows and Horses are the things that make me lose money =O
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 03:12:54 pm »
I don't understand how anyone that isn't on a horse has trouble with upkeep, including archers. On my main right now, my loadout is 38k (haubergeon, hourglass gauntlets, rus cav boots, kettle helmet, greatsword, elite cav shield, italian sword) and only have 113 2h and only 46 1h wpf. I still make money pretty easily.

When I did archery, I had khergit lamellar, horn bow, 2 stacks of bodkins, and a langes messer and make money.

Hell even in full plate you still break even/lose a little bit of cash over the gen.

Offline Arrowblood

• Duke
  • Renown: 508
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Arrowblood
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2012, 03:28:05 pm »
if i play with bodkins and 182 wpf i never make money even on x5, i just trade to get some money for my alts.

Offline KillerofFlowers

• Baron
  • Renown: 122
  • Infamy: 43
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lost Legion
  • Game nicks: LL_Emperor_KillerofFlowers
  • IRC nick: KillerofFlowers
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2012, 03:35:52 pm »
Lordly Cased Greaves   
Lordly Katafraktoi Armor
Lordly Milanese Sallet
Lordly Wisby Gauntlets
Masterpiece Knightly Heater Shield
Masterwork Italian Sword

thats what i use but i still make money, sometimes im even brining an axe, stell pick or xbow but still make money so i dont see a problem with upkeep