Author Topic: What the hell is up with the upkeep system?  (Read 2911 times)

Offline peter_afca7

• Count
  • Renown: 224
  • Infamy: 113
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BLABLA
  • Game nicks: BLABLABLA
Re: What the hell is up with the upkeep system?
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2012, 10:11:42 pm »
how chadz feels about general discussion
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2012, 11:19:09 pm »
My suggestion will prevent archers from being nerfed by decreasing the number of archers by incresing upkeep.
First off, you have a really funny definition of nerf if "increasing upkeep" does not count as one.

Secondly, people will still play archer and will merely use the "cheaper" gear since most people roll archer due to a need to hunt the high numbers of cavalry (at least for NA).

I enjoy melee substantially more then archer, I am even good enough with my shielder to be very competitive, and alright enough with a polearm to kill a bit more then I die from more often then not, but I roll archer because of the stupid high levels of cavalry (Hence my 24/21 build).
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Wrangham

• Baron
  • Renown: 80
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
  • In-game: Wrang
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2012, 12:21:52 am »
I was going to post some of the lamentations of a horse archer last week but respec'd back to melee instead. So here's my data from a ~31,857 gold setup as a horse archer (Light armor, Rouncey, Arabian Cav sword, Yumi, 1 set Tatar, 1 set regular arrows.)

Gold ------------ XP
528,679 = [did not note XP total] (Bought appropriate gear and respec'd into horse archer.)
525,958 = 1 891 680
527,391 = 1 979 040
525,832 = 2 065 280
524,062 = 2 170 560
520,452 = 2 226 560 (Upset with losing money. Exchanged Arabian Cav Sword for one of the cheaper 1H swords.)
518,624 = 2 243 360

As others have pointed out, high PD and ~50 1H proficiency increased repairs significantly but even if you double arrow upkeep I was still well under the "sustainable" figures posted by many people in this thread. I don't know about game/item balance but it is very obvious that playing a moderately-geared horse archer is unsustainable without consistent valor.