Author Topic: Unban SpookPalace  (Read 3096 times)

Offline Spook Island

• Shitposter
  • Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 165
  • Infamy: 183
  • cRPG Player
  • Truth Teller
    • View Profile
Unban SpookPalace
« on: August 30, 2012, 07:20:19 am »
So I log into the forum and have this little jewel waiting for me in my inbox

Pack your bags and get out. You're done in this game kid.

:) :D
This from a guy who was banned the other day for throwing a TK tantrum against me.

Check the forum for a ban thread and only see an unban thread; no Ban request in sight.

Doesn't take a genius to figure out this was a bullshit ban, not that I'm not familiar with such things.  I think my last ban was about half a year ago when I called somebody Canadian and got banned for it.  So yeah, I'm pretty used to bullshit bans by now. 

If I had to guess, I'd say there was some dirty politicking involved with some of the admins.  Within the last week, I've more or less had to show cases of incompetence, immaturity, and even lying in the case of NA Admins Hospitaller_Spaniard and Smoothrich.  Less than a week later, I'm mysteriously banned.  Coincidence?  Not likely.

I'm sure some trumped up charges involving "smack talking" were used since nothing else could be used against me.  Frankly, I don't intentionally TK or TW, I don't use racism, don't leech, I don't grief or open gates, etc...

Low and behold I am one of the few several hundred CRPG players who has talked smack talk to get in the heads of enemy players.  The only reason I get in trouble for it compared to others is because well I can back it up, and that's what really gets to people.  Have I ever complained or tried to turn someone in for smack talking?  No.  Frankly, I can let my playing do the talking when the time for words is irrelevant.
I'm smart enough to realize there is a mute function in case I don't want to listen to anyone, and I do use it from time to time.  That's what its there for.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Muki

• Earl
  • Renown: 455
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • 偽善正義
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Exile
  • Game nicks: Muki
  • IRC nick: Muki, Muki39
Re: Unban SpookPalace
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 07:37:52 am »
Well, I just went through 1135 lines of SpookPalace only to find out I'd been looking at the wrong server's logs. What I found there, though, was not pleasing.

Spook Island, you are hereby banned indefinitely for consistent chat abuse. Blatant and offensive homophobia, direct insults, repetitious spamming, excessive offensive language. It was pretty bad.

You may post an unban request when you feel like it, but as this is your third ban for chat abuse and your eighth ban overall, things are not looking too bright for you.

As a volunteer admin I clearly have no life and live only to eradicate all fun and enjoyment from the game. Your tears of rage are all the payment I need.
Yes I drew most of my avatars

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 07:59:22 am »
And you called my a *insult* Canadian *more insults*
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline Canary

• Marshall
  • Renown: 826
  • Infamy: 202
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 08:45:01 am »
Doesn't take a genius to figure out this was a bullshit ban, not that I'm not familiar with such things.  I think my last ban was about half a year ago when I called somebody Canadian and got banned for it.  So yeah, I'm pretty used to bullshit bans by now. 

Three months ago for poll abuse, another in the same month for chat abuse.

If I had to guess, I'd say there was some dirty politicking involved with some of the admins.  Within the last week, I've more or less had to show cases of incompetence, immaturity, and even lying in the case of NA Admins Hospitaller_Spaniard and Smoothrich.  Less than a week later, I'm mysteriously banned.  Coincidence?  Not likely.

Oh, the sanctimoniousness.

I'm sure some trumped up charges involving "smack talking" were used since nothing else could be used against me.  Frankly, I don't intentionally TK or TW, I don't use racism, don't leech, I don't grief or open gates, etc...

Low and behold I am one of the few several hundred CRPG players who has talked smack talk to get in the heads of enemy players.  The only reason I get in trouble for it compared to others is because well I can back it up, and that's what really gets to people.  Have I ever complained or tried to turn someone in for smack talking?  No.  Frankly, I can let my playing do the talking when the time for words is irrelevant.
I'm smart enough to realize there is a mute function in case I don't want to listen to anyone, and I do use it from time to time.  That's what its there for.

There are rules in place to prevent continuous harassment and egregiously offensive insults from being a constant part of the experience playing this mod. The reason you get in trouble for it is because you will not stop and you take it to an extent well beyond merely "talking smack" as you call it. If you're so damned smart, why do you keep getting in trouble for the same thing?

If you would like to continue playing, you must complete an unban essay consisting of "500 words that aren't offensive." We're not convinced you can do that without being sarcastic or accusatory.

The exact subject will be left up to you, but keep in mind that we're the ones you're trying to beseech. I'd recommend sticking to something along the lines of why there are rules against being an outspoken and incorrigible hothead.

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 08:54:57 am »
Hope you write the essay and come back with just less uses of things like calling people a bundle of sticks with every other line and trying 2 take on the entire community in a duel not even spook can win

No one minds some smack talking and stuff every once in a while but you've been insidious to the point that most humor or fun has left your chat messages, and reviewing the chat logs its mostly unfunny gibberish mixed with really vulgar language that can be easily percieved as hate speech against gay people, with all of the colorful descriptions of homosexual acts being performed by or to you.

Was hoping this could be dealt with by mutes and warnings and civility but us on the admin team pretty much concluded that you have escalated things recently and consistently with nonstop complaints about you disrupting servers often when no one is around to mute you and you don't chill out.

Yes I agree that talking smack and having fun can be cool and not too bad but you are just some kind of abrasive drunk more often then not making everyone really uncomfortable on the servers when you play.

Not gonna cheer or gloat that you're essay banned but hope you write it and possibly just turn chat off whenever you come back to playing if you can't control your temper and language because its a small community and people have really lost their patience with you being part of it.

gg spookfans etc etc
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline Canary

• Marshall
  • Renown: 826
  • Infamy: 202
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 08:36:08 pm »
If people are going to continue the unhelpful and immaterial chanting I am going to start issuing mutes.

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 11:48:09 pm »
Man, I feel obligated for some unholy reason to put my few cents in here. Once upon a time I really had a thing against spook. He went around insulting a lot of people a lot of the time. I thought he was rude as fuck. I mean, he really IS rude as fuck. But at some point I came to enjoy Spook's company in the server. He's fucking hilarious to me. He's rather intelligent; something very rare for someone as verbose as him. If he was some dumbfuck, I wouldn't stick a centimetre of my neck out for him.

Here's my problem with this ban. I can understand why the ban happened. It doesn't take a genius to figure it out. He got banned for being too rude too much. However, I do not feel that he was banned for a CONCRETE reason. Basically, I do not feel that the rules are concrete enough in this situation. The rule that he has broken is this: "No offensive behavior anywhere. Remember that this is the internet. Don't be insulted if someone calls you an idiot." If this rule were properly enforced, I would say that a solid 1/6 of the cRPG community would be out of here. I saw posted here that one of the problems that many admins had was that he said the word "bundle of sticks" too many times. Well holy shit, if that word is against the rules for being "offensive" or "homophobic", then please enforce it as such or re-think the rules. The problem that I see is that the rules for being "offensive" are not enforced heavily until an ADMIN is offended.

Now, I've had the (sometimes mis)pleasure of playing with dear spook in battle and siege MANY times. I cannot recall one time that he called someone a friend or a spic or any other racial epithet. These terms are obviously off-limits, although once again they are not specifically enumerated in the rules. If you fine folks in charge would simply put into the rules that you cannot utter the word "bundle of sticks" I would stake my extremely meagre finances on a bet that spook would not say the word "bundle of sticks". Spook has followed the rules as they are laid out and how he perceives them, and he has done that to a T.

I'm getting the feeling that this wall o' text is not exactly a coherent one, so let me sum up my rambling thoughts. I believe there are many players that frequent the NA servers that would be banned if the same judgement that was handed to spook were applied to them. I believe that the rules as they are laid out are entirely too vague for this community, which has a tendency to be extremely friendly and kind at times and extremely rude and trollsy at others (whether out of true hostility or in the spirit of having a good time). I believe that there is a large double-standard when it comes to "offending" or "insulting" players vs admins. I also think that it is difficult to gauge someone being "offended". One of the first terms that I learned when I started playing this mod was BAN HE. Many (maybe even most?) players want to see blood, they want to see a ban. If someone says "nigga", tons of players will immediately scream RACIST, BAN. In reality, these players are not in the slightest offended.

Also; I agree with you folks that Spook is a dick. He's rude to people, often-times without sufficient provocation. However, I do not feel that this warrants a permanent ban when many, MANY other players have not had action taken against them.

So uh, you guys have a good day.

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?

Offline Dan lol

• Count
  • Renown: 294
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player
  • ROLLINROLLINROLLINROLLIN
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: If you can't handle me at my durst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my fredst.
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 12:20:54 am »
whats wrong with the admin mute function?

JABONRA
His mother's asshole, I tragedy

Offline OssumPawesome

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 57
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 12:53:53 am »
I agree wholeheartedly with sandersson.  If spook had kept to only badmouthing players without admin we wouldn't be having this discussion.  He might have faced penalties - sure.  But a permaban?  I think not.  I have also undergone a metamorphosis in my views on spook.  I used to take crpg wayyy too seriously, and when he would trash talk me after beating the crap out of me it would piss me off to no end.  I've since realized this is a game, and it's for fun.  When spook comes on a server he has a somewhat extreme, but in no way unique path to fun.  He talks shit to people.

One thing I think sandersson is way off on is the number of players trash talking in game.  1/6 is wayyy low balling the figure in my opinion.  If admins were going to seriously enforce offense language including that which offends homosexuals - they'd be saying goodbye to half the damn community.  But they're not.  Admins are mad at spook for the same reason I was once upon a time.  He talked shit after killing them.

But once you learn to do with spook what many have to do with friends irl - turn down everything he says by about 80 percent mentally - you'll realize that he's just another guy playing the same game.  I've come to think he's rather funny, and in a way that fits in with the crpg community.  Trolling after you kill someone is a rather standard practice, and spook adds a little of his own flavor to it.

Lastly, I want to comment on the warning about and deletion of my previous post  "+1 for spook freedom."  This goes to the same point I've been trying to make.  Take a joke.  Ease off a bit.  Warning for something like this?  Come on, admins.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 12:55:07 am »
If spook had kept to only badmouthing players without admin we wouldn't be having this discussion.

But he did badmouth players without admins, see my signature. It was from the complaints of players that resulted in his ban hence him being banned after the fact, and not during the fact with an admin present.

Everytime I play with Spookisland on the server, I have to mute him and even then I get to see the tirade of insults fired back from other players, it is absolutely disruptive and against server rules, and I would have reported him myself if not for other people always doing it for me. I also even with mutes am subjected to his random "get-out-of-my-way/hurry-up" teamwounds.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Sir Ryden

• Baron
  • Renown: 140
  • Infamy: 31
  • cRPG Player
  • Fat
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fat?
  • Game nicks: Fat
  • IRC nick: Ryden
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 01:01:26 am »
I personally think he's funny.

Offline OssumPawesome

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2012, 01:01:44 am »
Everytime I play with Spookisland on the server, I have to mute him and even then I get to see the tirade of insults fired back from other players, it is absolutely disruptive and against server rules

Sounds like you fixed your problem clicking mute and then SpookPalace.  Not exactly a major disruption.  Again - offensive language is hardly unique to spook.  I would be rather surprised if you haven't ever called someone a homosexual slur in game.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 01:04:00 am »
I would be rather surprised if you haven't ever called someone a homosexual slur in game.
I actually have never called anyone that, as in my neck of the woods that type of insult "does not fly" as well as being completely nonsensical of an insult in my opinion (Being homosexual is hardly better or worse then being heterosexual, bisexual or asexual or any of the kind, how can it?).
I've called people morons, idiots, and bad, all clearly definable insults, that is all.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline OssumPawesome

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2012, 01:09:19 am »
Again with this nonsense?  You people are ridiculous.  So many are acting like spook is the first to grace the server with the word bundle of sticks.  Be serious.  He isn't.  In fact I'd say homosexual slurs are among the most common phrases in chat.  Because its a video game played by western english-speaking young people.  He did it too many times maybe, but all he's guilty of can be fixed with a handy in-game mute.

Offline LIMB

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2012, 01:16:57 am »
Misogyny and sexism are rampant in crpg, just yesterday someone called me a bundle of sticks literally 10 times straight in 30 seconds. Whatever, I can get behind trying to clean up the worst of it, but Spook is hardly the worst of it.

This is just some mods banning Spook because they got banned after he killed them and talked shit or whatever. The same standard bullshit that happens in comp. games everywhere, where mods are rarely the best players.

Mods, exercise your agendas in-game, not through petty bullshit out-of-game.

#freespook
#praisehim