Author Topic: Whack A$@ Zashi?  (Read 9481 times)

Offline Ptolemy

• Weeaboo
  • Count
  • Renown: 257
  • Infamy: 182
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja
  • Game nicks: Nomin
Re: Whack A$@ Zashi?
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2012, 07:22:36 pm »
I actually like how the wakizashi and the katana look together, but in fact if it were looked at as a set, it would be a Nodachi, Katana and Wakizashi as a set of three. Which would look badass - only it would cost a fortune.

If the Waki were cheaper, I would consider +3ing one so that I could wear it with my Katana on my main. As it is, I just want to be able to use it on my alt. It would also be of benefit to those who want to see the weeaboo die, since the military pick that I'm using as a replacement at the moment is superior and cheaper to the waki, so allowing me to use it would in fact cause me to die more often.

Offline Dach

• Earl
  • Renown: 444
  • Infamy: 92
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Dach_BRD / SNSD_Taeyeon
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2012, 08:54:29 pm »
+3
Personnaly I would keep quiet before they nerf your OP armor too.  :mrgreen:

The light strange armor still got the lordly bonus instead of reinforced  :o
A lot of people in the NA community know that Dach rages and in the process of his uncontrollable rage, he tends to kick people.

You've been warned! :twisted:

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2012, 09:00:51 pm »
Okay I'm tired of all the "style" bullshit arguments. We all know it is complete bullshit, and if you don't then your head is up your ass. If you honestly believe that style is suppose to increase an item's cost over 5k, then let us look at some of these other items who have their costs increased based on "style".

For example, the following armors all have exactly the same stats.
Stats:
(click to show/hide)

Armors & Costs:
(click to show/hide)

According to "style balance", all of these items should cost triple the previous.

That would look more like this:
(click to show/hide)

Obviously only a very few players would ever be able to afford playing a lord, prince, or king and still have fun with this game, which is why they aren't triple the cost based on "style". Neither should be the wakizashi. Period. How the hell does it costs less to look like a king than it does to look like a common samurai or ninja? That is just complete bullshit lol.

Counterpoint:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline JennaHaze

• Count
  • Renown: 267
  • Infamy: 147
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: 2Bach
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2012, 09:01:42 pm »

Plate Armor: 22,662 gold.
Blue Churburg Curiass: 67,986 gold. ----- If you want to be a lord, that is the price for style.  8-)
Red Churburg Curiass: 203,958 gold. ----- If you want to be a prince, that is the price for style.  :lol:
Churburg Curiass: 611,874 gold. ----- If you want to be a king, that is the price for style.  :rolleyes:

ARE YOU FUCKING DRUNK?

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
  • Renown: 1049
  • Infamy: 651
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Man, I still play this shit?
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Anders_Astralis
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2012, 09:05:49 pm »
He's making a point. If you are going to use the "It costs more for style" then he took a simple style variation for armor and showed how stupid it is.

But then the Nobleman outfits are ALSO on the other end. You pay a lot to look like a noble. Probably the only style choice out there that is as glaring as the wakizashi one.

Offline Auphilia

• Earl
  • Renown: 480
  • Infamy: 190
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2012, 09:31:23 pm »
+2
The nobleman outfits aren't +5k increase to their counterparts, they are ~1k. Wakizashi is over 5k additional cost for "style". There is absolutely nothing in the game as ridiculously overpriced as that.

So again...there is no reasonable and fair reason for it.

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2012, 09:36:09 pm »
+3
The nobleman outfits aren't +5k increase to their counterparts, they are ~1k. Wakizashi is over 5k additional cost for "style". There is absolutely nothing in the game as ridiculously overpriced as that.

So again...there is no reasonable and fair reason for it.

The robe has the same stats with a buying price of 18 gold. So it is 3000 gold cheaper. This also means that the noble outifts are 167 times as expensive. That would make the Waki cost 391,334...

Offline Auphilia

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2012, 09:46:09 pm »
+2
Okay?

Last time I checked, a wakizashi wasn't an item exclusively for royalty though. So, that still doesn't justify its +5k price adjustment.

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • Renown: 1268
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remnant_Dexxtaa
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2012, 09:53:14 pm »
Okay?

Last time I checked, a wakizashi wasn't an item exclusively for royalty though. So, that still doesn't justify its +5k price adjustment.

The Wakizashi+Katana combo is symbolic of traditional Samurai. Only true Samurai were allowed to wear both swords.

If you used JUST the Katana, you were considered Ronin (masterless samurai; read "disgraceful")

In my opinion, you are paying not just for a sword, but for the status, symbol, and culture.

Also, Wakizashi were considered close combat weapons, but were more widely known for being used in the tradition of seppuku.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 09:56:30 pm by Dexxtaa »

Offline Auphilia

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2012, 09:59:49 pm »
+2
Based on that logic, the Churburg Curiass and armors that only a king or high royalty would wear should be much more expensive? Yet they aren't.

Wakizashi was standard equipment for most samurai, and most samurai were not royalty. So to say wakizashi should be +5k cost because other items are considered royal or for nobles, is ridiculous lol. Peasants could and would use wakizashis. However, peasants would not be wearing a Churburg Curiass. Peasants also wouldn't often be using fancy sideswords and such. Yet there is no insane additional cost for using any of these items.

[Edit: Just because it was tradition for samurai to wear both a katana and a wakizashi, doesn't mean wakizashi was exclusive to them. Not everyone will be using a katana and a wakizashi, and even if they did, it doesn't justify making that item extra expensive based on a tradition that does not apply to every samurai/ninja in the game and nor did it apply to every samurai/ninja in real life. The typical wakizashi wouldn't have cost as much as the typical katana, or more than a typical longsword and italian sword.]
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 10:08:55 pm by Auphilia »

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2012, 10:04:24 pm »
+2
I just checked wiki out of interest and it said it was also used by merchants and craftsmen to protect themselves from bandits.

And apparently there were some regulations as to how long the sword owned by commoners could be. I don't know the exact length, but according to this article:
http://www.princeton.edu/~achaney/tmve/wiki100k/docs/Wakizashi.html it was shorter than a katana

It was common for common people to use a katana length sword and call it a wakizashi because it was legal to have a wakizashi, however it was illegal to have a katana as a commoner.

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2012, 10:05:35 pm »
Based on that logic, the Churburg Curiass and armors that only a king or high royalty would wear should be much more expensive? Yet they aren't.

I can't comment on that aspect, because I don't know enough about the armor and its history.

Wakizashi was standard equipment for most samurai, and most samurai were not royalty. So to say wakizashi should be +5k cost because other items are considered royal or for nobles, is ridiculous lol. Peasants could and would use wakizashis. However, peasants would not be wearing a Churburg Curiass. Peasants also wouldn't often be using fancy sideswords and such. Yet there is no insane additional cost for using any of these items.

Different cultures entirely. Samurai generally were peasants. They had families to go to and farms to till during the "off season" for war. Comparing a armor that is designed for royalty (Cuirass) from a Western culture cannot be compared to a weapon that is designed for an Eastern culture. The production methods and cost are vastly different for both items from different areas of the world (emphasis on production method).

Wakizashi saw minimal action, since most melee army combat in feudal Japan occured with SPEARS and not Katana.

edit:
I just checked wiki out of interest and it said it was also used by merchants and craftsmen to protect themselves from bandits.

And apparently there were some regulations as to how long the sword owned by commoners could be. I don't know the exact length, but according to this article:
http://www.princeton.edu/~achaney/tmve/wiki100k/docs/Wakizashi.html it was shorter than a katana

It was common for common people to use a katana length sword and call it a wakizashi because it was legal to have a wakizashi, however it was illegal to have a katana as a commoner.

That is true, but again, differing cultures. You didn't see merchants in medieval Europe rolling around in chainmail to defend themselves.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 10:09:30 pm by Dexxtaa »

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2012, 10:11:02 pm »
That is true, but again, differing cultures. You didn't see merchants in medieval Europe rolling around in chainmail to defend themselves.
Agreed differing cultures. However, I thought you were arguing that the culture and useage of the sword(s) does have bearing on the subject.

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2012, 10:14:00 pm »
Agreed differing cultures. However, I thought you were arguing that the culture and useage of the sword(s) does have bearing on the subject.

Well, my point is that using the Churburg Cuirass as a comparison point to the Wakizashi isn't a viable option, because too much of the items are different.

It's like telling me "Chicken meals should be cheaper because earphones are like 5 bucks"

Offline Auphilia

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2012, 10:14:58 pm »
+2
The point is, the wakizashi was not exclusive to nobility, therefore should have no additional cost as compared to items with nobility fees.

How's that?