Author Topic: Reason to invert attack direction?  (Read 3336 times)

Offline Turkhammer

• Earl
  • Renown: 376
  • Infamy: 194
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Reason to invert attack direction?
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2012, 04:51:11 am »
+1
It's the normal settings that feel "inverted" to me. It makes very little sense that I would swing my weapon to the right, by making a movement to the left with my mouse.

To swing your weapon to the right means you have to draw it back behind your left shoulder.  This corresponds to the left mouse move to start the swing.  Makes sense to me.

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • Renown: 1268
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remnant_Dexxtaa
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2012, 05:21:52 am »
+4
The largest advantage is that it throws a lot of people off. They see your character spin in a certain direction, and they expect a certain attack to come out. It especially seems to throw people off with 2h stabs.

Of course, if a lot of people start switching to inverted, then that won't be the case for very long.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Nessaj

• King
  • Renown: 1399
  • Infamy: 176
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ▃ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇
    • View Profile
    • Vanguard
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Cooties
  • IRC nick: Nessaj
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2012, 09:48:54 am »
It’s what pilots do, and pilots are cool.

(click to show/hide)
Things don't exist simply because you believe in them, thus sayeth the almighty creature in the sky!

Offline v/onMega

• Count
  • Renown: 234
  • Infamy: 67
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_vMega
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2012, 10:01:13 am »
Never thought about inverting it xD....never. Höhö, after 2500 hours...one would suck.

TOPGUN @ NESSAJ...woohooo..."I got the need, the need for SPEED! Huhhhhh!"

Offline sF_Guardian

• Marshall
  • Renown: 738
  • Infamy: 254
  • cRPG Player
  • In honour of Pepe the kindest baguette
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sad Hobo Guild, Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Peso, Dondergod, Hobo_loves_Pepe, Ras_Putin_the_stronk, FrenchBow_le_tarlouze, Forrest_Trump...
  • IRC nick: Peso
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2012, 10:11:47 am »
Gosh, gonna try that, guess it will fuck my mind totally up after more than 3k hours without inverted.
Never played inverted in any game but yeah, gonna fuck my mind today :D
I don't want to give a feedback to molly neither i want to ban him,I wanted to give advise high authorities to take his admin rights.Panos you monkey wrench where would u put this topic enlighten me you cancer fuck.

Offline Equal

• Earl
  • Renown: 344
  • Infamy: 24
  • Secretly not gay
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Equal
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2012, 11:01:24 am »
Oh my god..An Archer picture.. Insta +1

Anyways I go by the if it isn't broke don't fix it mentality - I'm fine with how I attack and block now, why should I change it?

Offline Patoson

• Marshall
  • Renown: 784
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2012, 11:13:41 am »
I've always played with inverted mouse (up & down) in all games. I don't know if down-overhead/up-thrust is due to this or it's always like that, but, after trying inverted lateral swings, I must say it's really weird.

If you want to run around someone in circles, the normal swings are better, otherwise you'll turn in the wrong direction when you swing.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2012, 12:36:10 pm »
+2
I switched after 1500 hours of regular attack direction, it's a pain in the butt and you'll feel like a drunk retard for a few days. After two weeks I could chamber again, yet after two months I still have the occasional reflex chamber that makes me do the old move, which doesn't exactly work anymore.

Reason I switched is because Senni_Ti always pulled of those turn hits, which look cool and actually confuse a lot of people. He did a 360 during the sideswing animation and hit you, which I couldn't do with regular. Because for example with a right swing, you first have to look right, then move your mouse all the way left, which is too slow. With inverted it is one fluid and natural motion, a really cool move with the 1h rightswing.

Normally with an attack you have to look away from your opponent to start the attack, and then look back to him to hit him early in the animation and not at the arse end. Ofcourse you get used to this and you do it automatically, but its still slightly slower than with inverted. I can hit someone with a right swing and then do a really fast 1h leftswing hit to the face. 2 hits that just consists of two quick mouse swipes.

One big disadvantage though is that normally chambering is basically doing the same as blocking, but with LMB combined with timing and angling. I learned chambering by just looking at the incoming attack and pressing LMB, which is sort of a logical next step after you learned good blocking. With inverted you need to look away from the incoming attack, which makes it hard to maintain the proper angle. I'm still very bad at chambering with the 1h rightswing, which was always harder than the other attacks, but I'm quite sure I used to be better at it. For all weapons chambering with the leftswing is a lot easier than with the rightswing for some reason.

Also nowadays stabbing from high to low works very well at close range with long stab weapons, it's kinda useful that with inverted you look up to stab.

Overall it's pretty minor, I like just having an unusual looking playstyle and doing weird stuff that looks cool visually. It's not necessary at all, if you really don't feel like struggling for two weeks then don't do it.

Offline Rantrex

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
  • The only one person who is not cheating in crpg:
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2012, 12:51:27 pm »
Does anyone play with "realative to enemy position", and just enjoy fighting?
Stop cheating.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2012, 01:37:56 pm »
Actually, the definition of "inverted" and "normal" third person camera controls is completely fucked up.

In some games, the actually logical "aircraft" controls are used, where pitching the stick forward will make you look down, backward will make you look up, to the left will turn the camera clockwise and to the right will make it turn counter clockwise.

What is fucked up is that some games consider that to be inverted, and some do not, which leads to players having different habits and different ways of naming them.

But in 99% of first person games, the opposite setup is used, a movement to the right will turn your camera to the right, which is logical too actually, since the "fixed point" can be considered slightly behind the camera.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2012, 02:11:02 pm »
Does anyone play with "realative to enemy position", and just enjoy fighting?

I would actually like a topic on this  witchery "relative to enemy position" :o

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2012, 03:16:23 pm »
For all weapons chambering with the leftswing is a lot easier than with the rightswing for some reason.

For you, that is. I guess as a 1H you use left swing more often and therefore practiced left chambers more often. I was a dedicated poleaxe user for a long time quite a while back. I'm shit at chambering left swings nowadays while my right swing chambers is about flawless. I'm so used to using right chamber that I usually get the block up if my opponent did a short held swing with a fast weapon too since I pay attention to the sound while doing it. With a left swing I can miss chambers on non-held attacks and I'm not used to pulling out my block if it should indeed miss, and I do it rarer because of that.

Polearm left swing is shit, so I guess I never bothered too much. I hated fighting polearm users while being one myself, since I rarely could use right chambers, but had a lot of opportunities to chamber left.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Uumdi

• Duke
  • Renown: 651
  • Infamy: 59
  • Ready to Die
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Uumdi_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: Uumdi
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2012, 12:43:43 am »
Yeah I've got chambering with right swings down pat, but i suck balls at left swings.

Ten shots of prayers, ten shots a day
A shot of thrill to hide the pain.
They can`t win, they just don`t cry,
The troopers know they live to die.

Offline TugBoat

• Earl
  • Renown: 430
  • Infamy: 211
  • cRPG Player
  • TotallyTugBoat on Steam
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BOAT CLAN
  • Game nicks: TugBOAT
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2012, 12:46:36 am »
I want to try, but my hand is much less adept at jerking towards the right than towards the left, so my left swings suffer a lot.

any reason why your hand is used to jerking only in one direction San?  :D

I'LL BE HERE ALL NIGHT FOLKS

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2012, 02:31:02 am »
I'm starting to get the feeling most of the people I have difficulty blocking against use inverted.. Not used to not seeing certain visual cues sometimes.

@Tugboat: it's easier to slide the mouse towards me than slide it away from me. I didn't care enough to change my wording. I move my mouse to the right slightly more than to the left. It often causes me to turn too much when blocking right, causing me to get hit a lot of the time.