Author Topic: Reason to invert attack direction?  (Read 3337 times)

Offline Kirbies

• Knight
  • Renown: 62
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: kirbies, Weeaboo
Reason to invert attack direction?
« on: August 26, 2012, 01:58:48 am »
So people have been telling me to invert the attack direction, saying that its worth it if you get used to it, but what are the advantages? Some people said it makes it easier to spin your attack, like sweeping your mouse right to do a left attack that sweeps right, does that make it do more damage because of the sweep speed?
Do enlighten me  :o
"I don't rage in chat, but I yell at my moniter alot." -SaulCanner

29031: 23:16:33 - [SpookPalace] GET TO THE FUCKING FLAG RIGHT NOW YOU JOKER BABY DICKED GINGERALE PRODUCING GURGLERS

Offline Earthdforce

• Earl
  • Renown: 391
  • Infamy: 150
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Earth_Geodude_da_Defender, _RageThrower
  • IRC nick: Khalestimo#7613
Re: Reason to invert attack direction?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 02:39:23 am »
You can hilt slash a hell of a lot easier, and if you chamber a side swing it'll pretty much get to your target instantly.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Fyre

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
  • Is this a dagger which I see before me?
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fyre (cRPG), MrX (Native)
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 02:51:18 am »
You can hilt slash a hell of a lot easier, and if you chamber a side swing it'll pretty much get to your target instantly.

The actual attack speed ingame doesn't change though, so this is assuming that you're not positioning yourself properly with regular attack directions, have a high mouse sensitivity, and move your mouse way too much when you're attacking. If you do all that, then it might be worth it. Otherwise, I'd say it barely makes a difference, if only making it another thing to learn.
Sigspace to be filled later.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 03:09:28 am »
+3
Inverted attack direction feels much more natural, you accompany the move the blade does with your mouse; think Wii control.
As a result, you move and hit in the same direction so when you swing right (blade goes from the right to the left) you move to the left, when you spin around your blade comes with you.

Offline _GTX_

• I <3 Shemaforash
  • Duke
  • Renown: 535
  • Infamy: 960
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • O===((:::::::::::::::>
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmarunionen
  • Game nicks: GTX
  • IRC nick: GTX
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 03:18:15 am »
Inverted attack direction feels much more natural, you accompany the move the blade does with your mouse; think Wii control.
As a result, you move and hit in the same direction so when you swing right (blade goes from the right to the left) you move to the left, when you spin around your blade comes with you.

Never seen the point in this, im not confused by how the directions work right now.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 03:19:39 am »
I want to try, but my hand is much less adept at jerking towards the right than towards the left, so my left swings suffer a lot.

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 03:30:39 am »
+6
The largest advantage is that it throws a lot of people off. They see your character spin in a certain direction, and they expect a certain attack to come out. It especially seems to throw people off with 2h stabs.

Of course, if a lot of people start switching to inverted, then that won't be the case for very long.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 03:34:22 am »
Always played inverted, for the same reasons given above. It seemed a lot more intuitive from the start.

Offline Matey

• King
  • Renown: 1327
  • Infamy: 372
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Matey_BRD
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 03:38:39 am »
+1
The largest advantage is that it throws a lot of people off. They see your character spin in a certain direction, and they expect a certain attack to come out. It especially seems to throw people off with 2h stabs.

Of course, if a lot of people start switching to inverted, then that won't be the case for very long.

This. Absolutely. I'm not the best at manual blocking but sometimes when I'm really in the zone I pull off some epic shit... right until I fight Saul or Cy with their inverted nonsense that just completely throws me off. I find i predict attacks based off footwork and positioning a lot, so I often block right instead of left or the other way around when fighting vs inverted. It fucks with my mind damn it!

Offline IG_Saint

• Count
  • Renown: 196
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: IG
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 03:42:49 am »
Always played inverted, for the same reasons given above. It seemed a lot more intuitive from the start.

This. Also, I could swear that in the original m&b inverted was the default setting.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 03:54:15 am »
It takes a couple of weeks to adjust to inverted directions, after you've switched, but then it feels great! Makes you want to spam a lot, though :D

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2012, 04:08:35 am »
+4
It's the normal settings that feel "inverted" to me. It makes very little sense that I would swing my weapon to the right, by making a movement to the left with my mouse.

Offline snipercapt

• Baron
  • Renown: 80
  • Infamy: 20
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Araris, Brighid, Tsugan
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2012, 04:11:57 am »
Seems like I should try this wizardry!
People still use shit from 12th century today, for example Microsoft Internet Explorer

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2012, 04:17:51 am »
+2
The downside of inverted attacks is that you tend to make very predictable attacks unless you concentrate on avoiding it. it becomes very easy and natural to block a swing and attack again in the same direction with only one fluid movement of the mouse, leading to most of your left blocks making you start a right swing and vice versa.

Offline Uumdi

• Duke
  • Renown: 651
  • Infamy: 59
  • Ready to Die
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Uumdi_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: Uumdi
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2012, 04:28:57 am »
+2
I'll shed light as an inverted player:

It has no benefit to turning into your swings, as there is a delay as you pull your sword back, so that is entirely false.  Maybe if it works in your head for, say a right swing for example, to move left -> right -> stop -> follow through right.  Otherwise, if you're moving right that entire time, you're going to spin in a circle.  If anything, default controls is a rocking motion, and would be right to left -> right.

I simply inverted because when I learned the game, I thought of it in the same way Butan mentioned, like a wii-mote.  I want my sword to go from left to right, so i move the mouse left to right.  That's just it - some people swear by inverted controls, but honestly its just how your brain functions.  When I played console shooters years back, I went from regular, to inverted, to regular, to inverted, back and forth maybe 5 times.

So be reassured, you're not missing out on anything.  You might confuse a few people who instinctively read character animations the default way, though as kafein just mentioned ^, it seems otherwise, and completely natural to block it.  Nothing game-mechanic wise though.

Ten shots of prayers, ten shots a day
A shot of thrill to hide the pain.
They can`t win, they just don`t cry,
The troopers know they live to die.