Author Topic: Stop this pike madness!!  (Read 5272 times)

Offline Lennu

• Marshall
  • Renown: 774
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Lennu
  • IRC nick: Lennu_
Re: Stop this pike madness!!
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2012, 06:07:05 pm »
+1
Well. Like Joker86 suggested, I made a piker alt with 15/24 build and using a 1handed sidearm. I used 11k gold (started with  nord nobleman outfit  :lol:) to gear myself up and played for a few hours.

With only my long spear, iberian mace (which I have to use about once every 5 rounds) and leather jacket + some shitty boots I right now have 1,6 k/d ratio + valor almost all the time (new eez.to.get-valor) So yep, I'm not convinced that piking/poking with a longspear is hard, at least not as hard as archery  :lol:   But it looks like that the majority of the community does not agree with me on that.

Any opinions on that epic cav nerf? Exept SoO's
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Because I'm a bit tired of seeing cav couching a player next to a brick wall, riding into that wall, and then riding away all unharmed. But that's pretty much a realism-problem.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2012, 07:06:08 pm »
wat
Spring 2011, there was barely anyone using purely the pike as a main weapon.

You aren't stunned after chambers at all if you didn't noticed it yet.
What? Is that just for 1h, can't say people chamber my thrusts much, but 2h and polearm gets stunned hard if I chamber their thrust.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2012, 07:17:37 pm »
that was sarcasm, both the longspear and pike for some reason can haft stab at that range for full dmg, maybe not anymore on battle? but on siege has always been like that

Pike could never, ever, stab point blank, the weapon is long enough to do weird things to the game engine that was never designed to handle it, hence why it can ghost through teammates if used correctly.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2012, 08:33:30 pm »
+1
Well. Like Joker86 suggested, I made a piker alt with 15/24 build and using a 1handed sidearm. I used 11k gold (started with  nord nobleman outfit  :lol:) to gear myself up and played for a few hours.

With only my long spear, iberian mace (which I have to use about once every 5 rounds) and leather jacket + some shitty boots I right now have 1,6 k/d ratio + valor almost all the time (new eez.to.get-valor) So yep, I'm not convinced that piking/poking with a longspear is hard, at least not as hard as archery  :lol:   But it looks like that the majority of the community does not agree with me on that.

Well, a few hours is not enough. Apparently you had a good round or two, but I'd like to see your reaction when things are not going so well. Having a 5:8 ratio doesn't prove a lot. Try playing more, experience the darkest moments of piking, and then decide.

Of course things are different when you play together with clan mates or friends via teamspeak. In this case a pike indeed is highly effective.
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Lech

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 123
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2012, 10:03:58 pm »
Spring 2011, there was barely anyone using purely the pike as a main weapon.
What? Is that just for 1h, can't say people chamber my thrusts much, but 2h and polearm gets stunned hard if I chamber their thrust.

I chambered about 5-6 times polearm stab from ashwood pike (he chambered mine too) with my stab. When i block normal way i am be unable to attack that fast after thrust from polearm. So yeah, when you are chambered you have no stun.

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2012, 02:56:07 am »
+7
Thrust getting blocked = baseStun * 0.55
Swing getting blocked = baseStun * 0.35
Thrust/swing getting chambered = baseStun * 0.4

(click to show/hide)

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • Renown: 276
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Caita_KUTT, Fellys_KUTT
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2012, 04:07:31 am »
Thrust getting blocked = baseStun * 0.55
Swing getting blocked = baseStun * 0.35
Thrust/swing getting chambered = baseStun * 0.4

(click to show/hide)

I kind of had a feeling thrust stun was shorter on chambers. It always felt like pikes/LS could recover a bit too fast when I chamber them. Nice to have the numbers.

By the way, any chance we could ever get a long ass thread that details a bunch of these formulas?

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2012, 04:38:50 am »
+3
I kind of had a feeling thrust stun was shorter on chambers. It always felt like pikes/LS could recover a bit too fast when I chamber them. Nice to have the numbers.

By the way, any chance we could ever get a long ass thread that details a bunch of these formulas?

CMP or Urist only emerge from the cesspool of the Warband coding pit to lay smackdowns on people shit talking the mod with realtalk formulas to blame the turks, then receede back to the shadows of WSE sorcery to continue adding *~360 rageball noscope goalie dives~*.  Keep up the good work.
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2012, 05:51:53 am »
They are support weapons you bloody numpty! Only the ninjaeriest of ninjas can 1v1 with well and they really only kill in 1v1 situations in one of 2 ways. Extreme levels of timing and a bit luck or the person they are fighting is you, ya bloody numpty.
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2012, 06:04:20 pm »

Still, the decrease in attack duration after you chamber compared to a regular attack is probably a lot more significant than the 27% reduction in stun time?

Offline seddrik

• Very mad bro
  • Knight
  • Renown: 53
  • Infamy: 68
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • NSCOC.Info
  • Faction: Phoenix Company
  • Game nicks: Seddrik_PxC
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2012, 07:50:03 pm »
+2
Please no more nerfs.  Just learn to play.  Down block.

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • Renown: 276
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Caita_KUTT, Fellys_KUTT
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2012, 06:55:57 am »
Still, the decrease in attack duration after you chamber compared to a regular attack is probably a lot more significant than the 27% reduction in stun time?

It WOULD be, except when chambering a LS/Pike WITH a Pike, I'm so damn slow they can get a block up either way.  :lol:

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 338
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Sky belongs to Asagods as long as the raven flies.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Son_Of_Odin
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2012, 05:16:19 pm »
Any opinions on that epic cav nerf? Exept SoO's

What makes you think I meant that gif only for the cav nerf? :mrgreen:

I have to agree with Joker on this:
Well, a few hours is not enough. Apparently you had a good round or two, but I'd like to see your reaction when things are not going so well. Having a 5:8 ratio doesn't prove a lot. Try playing more, experience the darkest moments of piking, and then decide.

Of course things are different when you play together with clan mates or friends via teamspeak. In this case a pike indeed is highly effective.

It doesn't only apply on pikes and long spears but any new weapon class you try out. Same goes for cav. Some people make cav stf to prove a point. They play cav for couple good maps, get semi decent score and conclude it's the ultimate op ezimode... Couple of hours or even couple of days is not enough experience to say jacks squat about the subject.

(click to show/hide)

There is no sight in my third eye

Offline Vkvkvk

• Baron
  • Renown: 106
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2012, 09:46:15 pm »
+1
(click to show/hide)

Not all of us wants to play the flavor of the month year or follow the "If you can't beat them, join them" bullshit.

Offline JennaHaze

• Count
  • Renown: 267
  • Infamy: 147
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: 2Bach
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2012, 10:18:57 pm »
+2
- Pikes got affected the most by the turn speed nerf?

GO FUCK YOURSELF!