Poll

Should these changes be made? (M&B is a melee game not UT2K3)

Yes
13 (48.1%)
No
9 (33.3%)
Not sure
1 (3.7%)
I have an opinion
4 (14.8%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Voting closed: September 16, 2012, 09:17:43 pm

Author Topic: Balancing Range without nerfing damage (Mini textwall warning)  (Read 2577 times)

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • Renown: 281
  • Infamy: 107
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Konrax of Chaos
Range is overwhelming the game right now... or thats what people say. I personally use a shield and it works sometimes in keeping me alive against range. I notice a few things along the way playing this and here is what I think range should be more like.

Range needs to stop running away constantly: The ability to easily outrun dedicated melee players means that range will always want to run and pew pew again. Given this information, I suggest that after drawing / aiming any range weapon, the bonus from athletics granted to that character is stalled for 5 seconds. WHY you may ask? Aside from BALANCE, it is realistic given the exact breathing required to fire a bow / or xbow / throwing weapon, which usually has to be steady. To make a bit of variance, each point in throwing / archery would lower this cool down by .3 seconds for each point. This would give a mobility edge to bows / thrown compared to xbows.

Range on horseback: A penalty needs to be added for reload times for all range weapons (except throwing) on horseback. Being on a horse and firing a range weapon is difficult (I would know I'm Hungarian... Attila the Hun, horse archer empire) and with the animal moving makes it more difficult to properly reload a weapon. I suggest that weapons reload 50% slower then normal on horseback, however power draw skill will reduce this time by 5% each point. Xbow will get no reduction. Secondly, while aiming a ranged weapon on horseback, the ability to control the horse should be reduced 50%, so WHILE YOU ARE AIMING AND FIRING your ability to maneuver is hindered. Please note that this would be a 50% softening of its turning speed, and acceleration and NOT A 50% SPEED REDUCTION. This is also supported by balance, and reality, in the case that telling a horse what to do with only your legs is difficult to do, and not as an effective way to guide a horse as pulling the reigns.

WPF Curve: I imagine this will be addressed soon, but I just wanted to point out that high WM was supposed to be appealing to hybrids, now its not really necessary since you don't need much WM to get 2 skills above 100.

Thanks for the read, post what you think!

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Balancing Range without nerfing damage (Mini textwall warning)
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 09:20:08 pm »
Just to add to this:

If these changes were implemented, I would like to see the body damage done by range return to its original amount.

You can keep your headshot bonus.

Offline Mr_Oujamaflip

• Earl
  • Renown: 322
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Ouj Reviews!
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 10:42:16 pm »
Some good ideas IMO.

Especially the Horse Archery rate of fire thing, sounds cool.

Offline Arrowblood

• Duke
  • Renown: 508
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Arrowblood
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 11:54:12 pm »
+1
Yes nerf Horse Archery more :rolleyes:

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 11:59:08 pm »
Yes nerf Horse Archery more :rolleyes:

If arrows to the body went back to old level damage would it still be a nerf?

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 02:11:08 am »
Stabilizing arrow damage and making it less random is also a welcome addition. People who get hit by an arrow would know what to expect from additional hits easier, less random arrow glancing, easier for archers to predict their damage output.

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 12:55:57 pm »
Range is overwhelming the game right now... or thats what people say. I personally use a shield and it works sometimes in keeping me alive against range. I notice a few things along the way playing this and here is what I think range should be more like.
It's overwhelming because of it's high number. But it's needed against cavs.
Sadly, i don't think you can balance the game by changing one class and not the other at the moment. Cav and Range are in the same boat.

Range needs to stop running away constantly: The ability to easily outrun dedicated melee players means that range will always want to run and pew pew again. Given this information, I suggest that after drawing / aiming any range weapon, the bonus from athletics granted to that character is stalled for 5 seconds. WHY you may ask? Aside from BALANCE, it is realistic given the exact breathing required to fire a bow / or xbow / throwing weapon, which usually has to be steady. To make a bit of variance, each point in throwing / archery would lower this cool down by .3 seconds for each point. This would give a mobility edge to bows / thrown compared to xbows.
An archer and a thrower NEEDS to move after each shot/throw, else he'll being shot by other people. That's why athletics is important, to quickly move after shooting. If your effective athletic is zero after shooting :
-archers won't be able to stay with the group.
-all kind of range will "easily" be picked off by cavs.
-range will definitely find it easier to shoot down other range (specially xbow are going to have a good time getting rid of archers, since they can aim for ever and wait for the archer to be as slow as a lv1 peasant who forgot to put one point in athletics... except he's wearing heavier armor, quivers and bow.

I know it's frustrating chasing an archer. That's why there's "dedicated" agi builds to do that. If even a 24/12 melee can catch up to an archer, while dodging effectively, things will be broken.

Range on horseback: A penalty needs to be added for reload times for all range weapons (except throwing) on horseback. Being on a horse and firing a range weapon is difficult (I would know I'm Hungarian... Attila the Hun, horse archer empire) and with the animal moving makes it more difficult to properly reload a weapon. I suggest that weapons reload 50% slower then normal on horseback, however power draw skill will reduce this time by 5% each point. Xbow will get no reduction. Secondly, while aiming a ranged weapon on horseback, the ability to control the horse should be reduced 50%, so WHILE YOU ARE AIMING AND FIRING your ability to maneuver is hindered. Please note that this would be a 50% softening of its turning speed, and acceleration and NOT A 50% SPEED REDUCTION. This is also supported by balance, and reality, in the case that telling a horse what to do with only your legs is difficult to do, and not as an effective way to guide a horse as pulling the reigns.

That seems a bit hard. Take only one of the two nerfs here. 25% speed reduction for archers and 50% longer reload time for xbow will significantly reduce the amount of "spam" indeed, but it's thanks to this spam that they can keep decent damage output. Their damage is already reduced on horseback, if you reduce their shooting speed, it will really not be beneficial to "invest" so much money on an horse.
The 50% softening of acceleration and maneuver is also silly. They definitely need it when chasing or being chased by other cavs. They don't usually use their top speed too, since it really makes them inaccurate, so nerf that if you want.
This is not a balance, this is a great idea to destroy the HX and HA.

WPF Curve: I imagine this will be addressed soon, but I just wanted to point out that high WM was supposed to be appealing to hybrids, now its not really necessary since you don't need much WM to get 2 skills above 100.

I'm sorry, but it's still appealing for hybrids. 100 wpf in archery or throwing is definitely not enough. Especially if, as a melee hybrid, you want to have a medium armor for when you go melee, reducing even more your effective wpf.
Still, i'm expecting some nice changes with the new wpf curve.

All in all, in thoses "BALANCING RANGE without nerfing damage" i only see a "NERFING RANGE without nerfing damage BUT nerfing damage output by sec".
And, it's not even for the sake of balance... At first, i even though it was a troll, but it seems you're serious about this.

And since you don't have enough :
If these changes were implemented, I would like to see the body damage done by range return to its original amount.

So you ALSO want to nerf the common damage in body shots finally. Thanks for a VERY MISGUIDED title.  :evil:

Stabilizing arrow damage and making it less random is also a welcome addition. People who get hit by an arrow would know what to expect from additional hits easier, less random arrow glancing, easier for archers to predict their damage output.

+1. Definitely this. Random damage is a pain for both the victim and the shooter.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 04:22:45 pm »
It's overwhelming because of it's high number. But it's needed against cavs.
Sadly, i don't think you can balance the game by changing one class and not the other at the moment. Cav and Range are in the same boat.

Cavalry needs to be adjusted as well, this thread isn't called fixing crpg game balance.

An archer and a thrower NEEDS to move after each shot/throw, else he'll being shot by other people. That's why athletics is important, to quickly move after shooting. If your effective athletic is zero after shooting :
-archers won't be able to stay with the group.
-all kind of range will "easily" be picked off by cavs.
-range will definitely find it easier to shoot down other range (specially xbow are going to have a good time getting rid of archers, since they can aim for ever and wait for the archer to be as slow as a lv1 peasant who forgot to put one point in athletics... except he's wearing heavier armor, quivers and bow.

Range will have no problem staying with the group because they won't be firing their weapons the entire time they are approaching. Once they get to the location they want to fire from then they will start shooting. Range vs Range will be fine because we are talking about moving a short distance here after each shot. I didn't suggest having cinder blocks on the feet of range, but instead softening how quickly they can ramp up their athletics speed. Range shouldn't be able to dance around as much anyways while shooting, maybe its better for the game if range was a little more effective against range.

The speed reduction needs to be put in because the counter for range is shields, and shields move slow and therefore can never catch the range and thus makes them completely useless at countering range.

I know it's frustrating chasing an archer. That's why there's "dedicated" agi builds to do that. If even a 24/12 melee can catch up to an archer, while dodging effectively, things will be broken.

Agi builds are good for something then. But I don't think the counter to range is supposed to be quick almost no armour low hp 2h guys. Maybe shields? Not sure I have to check with chadz.

That seems a bit hard. Take only one of the two nerfs here. 25% speed reduction for archers and 50% longer reload time for xbow will significantly reduce the amount of "spam" indeed, but it's thanks to this spam that they can keep decent damage output. Their damage is already reduced on horseback, if you reduce their shooting speed, it will really not be beneficial to "invest" so much money on an horse.
The 50% softening of acceleration and maneuver is also silly. They definitely need it when chasing or being chased by other cavs. They don't usually use their top speed too, since it really makes them inaccurate, so nerf that if you want.
This is not a balance, this is a great idea to destroy the HX and HA.

If your being chased by cav then you can still turn and fire, it will prevent those figure 8 impossible to catch horse range guys who literally just spam shoot. They need to get their rate of fire reduced a bit because of...... check last suggestion.

I'm sorry, but it's still appealing for hybrids. 100 wpf in archery or throwing is definitely not enough. Especially if, as a melee hybrid, you want to have a medium armor for when you go melee, reducing even more your effective wpf.
Still, i'm expecting some nice changes with the new wpf curve.

Sorry let me say that its really easy to get to 130 in 2 lines really easily then.

All in all, in thoses "BALANCING RANGE without nerfing damage" i only see a "NERFING RANGE without nerfing damage BUT nerfing damage output by sec".
And, it's not even for the sake of balance... At first, i even though it was a troll, but it seems you're serious about this.

Maybe the rate of fire was reduced on HA, but on ground range it would only reduce the amount of run run shoot run shoot that range classes do.

And since you don't have enough :
So you ALSO want to nerf the common damage in body shots finally. Thanks for a VERY MISGUIDED title.  :evil:

You do realize that a couple patches ago damage to the body with ranged weapons was nerfed pretty good. To compensate they made headshots to more damage. This suggestion here would actually give range back more damage, so your wrong. I proposed to give range more damage, but limit its movement capabilities ONLY while using range weapons. There is nothing stopping range from retreating to a new firing position if there is danger, it just means they can't take 3 shots while running away and expect to survive.

+1. Definitely this. Random damage is a pain for both the victim and the shooter.

+1 to this also

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 06:22:59 pm »
You do realize that a couple patches ago damage to the body with ranged weapons was nerfed pretty good. To compensate they made headshots to more damage. This suggestion here would actually give range back more damage, so your wrong. I proposed to give range more damage, but limit its movement capabilities ONLY while using range weapons.

Oops, my bad.  :oops:
I read it in the other way. Though... body shots from archery back then were pretty powerfull. I think melees would prefer getting spammed than getting one shotted. :S

This body nerf damage was needed back then. But... i do agree that a "less brutal" suggestion (archers/xbow loose 30% of their athletics for 2sec after having released their projectile, HA/HX are 15% slower to reload ) would be fine. Without having back the "normal" body shot damage. This one is insane.

True, let's fix archery from a melee point of view. Then afterwards, fix cavalry from the melee and range point of view. Do both at the same time can be quite hard.

[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline Cup1d

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 06:40:44 pm »
I wonder, why even Native infantry players already stopped whining about «Ommagad overpowered archery» and found many smart ways to counter archers? Do we really have such low quality player base in crpg, that even after countless nerfs this «problem» still appears?

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 07:44:42 pm »
I wonder, why even Native infantry players already stopped whining about «Ommagad overpowered archery» and found many smart ways to counter archers? Do we really have such low quality player base in crpg, that even after countless nerfs this «problem» still appears?

Shed some wisdom on us

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2012, 07:48:06 pm »
+2
Bad bad suggestions. Really bad.

Drawing speed of HA is already too slow, seriously. If it even takes longer it's impossible to do anything against over cav or foot archers. Horse Archers are already too weak. I wouldn't care about more dmg to the body, accuracy and drawing speed is more important.
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2012, 07:50:04 pm »
Bad bad suggestions. Really bad.

Drawing speed of HA is already too slow, seriously. If it even takes longer it's impossible to do anything against over cav or foot archers. Horse Archers are already too weak. I wouldn't care about more dmg to the body, accuracy and drawing speed is more important.

Is draw speed already reduced on horseback? From my understanding you only get an accuracy penalty which at horse archery 4 is almost non existent.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2012, 07:55:30 pm »
I agreed with the OP based on my experiences with using an HX. Slower drawing speed for HA (in addition to less maneuver while firing) would tip the balance unfavorably against other cavalry on second thought.

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2012, 08:46:37 pm »
Maybe the idea needs to be tweaked further, but the intention of the change was to make horse archers more appealing than horse xbow cav.

And maybe limit them a little bit in the very short range confrontations with infantry. So inf at least have SOME chance to catch them if they aren't paying attention.