Author Topic: Dark souls: Prepare to Die edition  (Read 64000 times)

Offline Latvian

• King
  • Renown: 1494
  • Infamy: 379
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • с̴͎͖͈͟͠ͅу̷̸̻̣͇͚̫͎͇̩̟̖̪͇̯к̀́͠͞҉͎͚͎а̰̤͕̱͔̬͖̟̺͍͎́͞ ̸͝
    • View Profile
  • Faction: one and only DESERTERS
  • Game nicks: u know its me when you see me
Re: Dark souls: Prepare to Die edition
« Reply #630 on: July 15, 2013, 03:40:46 pm »
oh yeah first impressions are that i need better computer and forgetting controller at work sucks.
people are like potatoes, they come in different shapes and sizes and they all are beautifull
masturbating while looking in a mirror isnt wrong unless its the rear view mirror and you are driving a school buss.

it doesnt matter if you are happiest person or an unfortunate weeper, a powerfull beast or a terrifying creature. we are all equal, in the eyes of the reaper.

Offline Tom Cruise

• Duke
  • Renown: 685
  • Infamy: 144
  • cRPG Player
  • All I do is shitpost anymore in this game.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tom_Cruise_Dota_Fanatic
  • IRC nick: Tom_Cruise
« Reply #631 on: July 15, 2013, 07:23:02 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Why? did you finish it or did you give up half way through?

Lol I like things about it and dislike things about it. I dont really like the combat system. Not because its simple or anything. Its just kinda clunky and not well thought out. For example when I was fighting the first boss (Asylum Demon). I would get hit by things when I was well out of range or if I dodged it and something still hit me (unless theres some area of effect thing.) I would also take damage yet nothing would happen to my character like getting staggered or knocked around. He would do a vertical attack up to down, I would dodge, it would miss, I still get hit.

Also I think this game has the worst tutorial/learning curve Ive ever seen. While I was able to pick it up fairly quick, with a little struggle and help I got it. But for everyone Ive talked too about this they have to google or go on the wiki for about 90% of the game (someone mentioned going on the wiki in the thread like a page or two ago, too lazy to look). They only really explain basic stuff on the hints but leave out a lot. This ties in to the difficulty. Not in the way you think it is. You can walk into random enemies and not know how tough they are, yet you have free access to everywhere. Free access to get your ass plowed in by a dude that looks like Sauron or a horde of skeletons. While I dont have a problem with the game having difficult enemies, but they set it up for you to die, having you lose all your hard earned souls. Which isnt fun for me. I dont want to have to keep farming enemies and bosses to keep getting back to what I had before because I dont know if I cant take on a simple looking skeleton my size.

They also dont tell you what and what not to kill. I found this out the hard way killing the sun knight after the taurus demon. They didnt tell me I would be invaded by other people that are massive levels ahead of me. And the only way to get rid of it is to progress through the game to a certain point and give up a certain amount of souls. With the way they set you up to die constantly from random stupidity or from being invaded, that is hard as shit.

Speaking of multiplayer, it is hot dogshit in this game. Have to be within 10% of levels, have to be near area boss, have to be human. Ok kinda weird but I can do it. Then you see the summons signs like 30% of the time its put it. Me and my friend tried for hours to get one summon sign up, could never see it for some reason, for both of us. And even then its not worth it because we will end up dying at some point, its a given. Then you have to re summon someone all over again and go through that dumb process.

TL:DR
(click to show/hide)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #632 on: July 15, 2013, 07:37:32 pm »
Lol I like things about it and dislike things about it. I dont really like the combat system. Not because its simple or anything. Its just kinda clunky and not well thought out. For example when I was fighting the first boss (Asylum Demon). I would get hit by things when I was well out of range or if I dodged it and something still hit me (unless theres some area of effect thing.) I would also take damage yet nothing would happen to my character like getting staggered or knocked around. He would do a vertical attack up to down, I would dodge, it would miss, I still get hit.

Also I think this game has the worst tutorial/learning curve Ive ever seen. While I was able to pick it up fairly quick, with a little struggle and help I got it. But for everyone Ive talked too about this they have to google or go on the wiki for about 90% of the game (someone mentioned going on the wiki in the thread like a page or two ago, too lazy to look). They only really explain basic stuff on the hints but leave out a lot. This ties in to the difficulty. Not in the way you think it is. You can walk into random enemies and not know how tough they are, yet you have free access to everywhere. Free access to get your ass plowed in by a dude that looks like Sauron or a horde of skeletons. While I dont have a problem with the game having difficult enemies, but they set it up for you to die, having you lose all your hard earned souls. Which isnt fun for me. I dont want to have to keep farming enemies and bosses to keep getting back to what I had before because I dont know if I cant take on a simple looking skeleton my size.

They also dont tell you what and what not to kill. I found this out the hard way killing the sun knight after the taurus demon. They didnt tell me I would be invaded by other people that are massive levels ahead of me. And the only way to get rid of it is to progress through the game to a certain point and give up a certain amount of souls. With the way they set you up to die constantly from random stupidity or from being invaded, that is hard as shit.

Speaking of multiplayer, it is hot dogshit in this game. Have to be within 10% of levels, have to be near area boss, have to be human. Ok kinda weird but I can do it. Then you see the summons signs like 30% of the time its put it. Me and my friend tried for hours to get one summon sign up, could never see it for some reason, for both of us. And even then its not worth it because we will end up dying at some point, its a given. Then you have to re summon someone all over again and go through that dumb process.

TL:DR
(click to show/hide)

Yeah your points are mostly valid, the tutorial is shit but most players still make it past it if they are persistent enough and if you give up that early you wouldve given up somewhere mid-through the game anyways.

Summonings are shitty on pc, on console it's a lot better for some reason..

About the dodging, asylum demon has a massive hammer so im pretty sure the top of the hammer usually has a wind aoe which staggers you. Getting hit through dodges must be either bad timed or dodging back in to the swing, because when you get used to the dodging you can basically dodge everything.

Shitty summonings and shitty tutorials will both be fixed in the upcoming Dark souls 2, so expect a better experience there ^^
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Tot.

• Duke
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 133
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: July 15, 2013, 08:28:56 pm »
Why? did you finish it or did you give up half way through?

You seriously believe that one must finish a game to form an opinion about it?
Mods compatible with cRPG. New crosshairs, textures, sounds, yay.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #634 on: July 15, 2013, 09:26:06 pm »
You seriously believe that one must finish a game to form an opinion about it?

No, simply asking to see how far he got as the game gets more fun and interesting the further you get into it.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.

Offline Polobow

• Count
  • Renown: 267
  • Infamy: 30
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: SoA
« Reply #635 on: July 16, 2013, 12:47:43 pm »
+1
(click to show/hide)

You are one of the few people who dislike Dark Souls's difficulty, and actually say so. I applaud you. Usually they are a lot more verbal about it.

Offline Tot.

• Duke
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 133
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: July 16, 2013, 03:51:49 pm »
+2
TIL shit design and mechanics is now 'difficulty'.
Mods compatible with cRPG. New crosshairs, textures, sounds, yay.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: July 16, 2013, 03:59:30 pm »
TIL shit design and mechanics is now 'difficulty'.

rofl.

Offline Tom Cruise

• Duke
  • Renown: 685
  • Infamy: 144
  • cRPG Player
  • All I do is shitpost anymore in this game.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tom_Cruise_Dota_Fanatic
  • IRC nick: Tom_Cruise
« Reply #638 on: July 16, 2013, 08:17:45 pm »
+1
You are one of the few people who dislike Dark Souls's difficulty, and actually say so. I applaud you. Usually they are a lot more verbal about it.

Its not necessarily the difficulty, because Ive played difficult games or games with difficult  bosses, etc etc. But the tutorial is dogshit and so are the mechanics, which makes it more difficult than it should be. I could get used to it and work my way around it, but that would take time I dont want to invest to something I already dont like just so I can get some decent gameplay in.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: July 22, 2013, 12:33:22 am »
WTF Games for Windows LIVE, RAAAAAARGGH. Why did I buy this crap? I hate all of you who recommended it! DIE IN A TORRENT OF LAVA.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Weren

• Duke
  • Renown: 588
  • Infamy: 18
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: irc://Weren
« Reply #640 on: July 22, 2013, 12:44:24 am »
WTF Games for Windows LIVE, RAAAAAARGGH. Why did I buy this crap? I hate all of you who recommended it! DIE IN A TORRENT OF LAVA.
Yeah, No multiplayer for me, since my GFWL account is in Korean for some unknown reason. Had to make an offline account.  :?

I've had so many negative experiences with GFWL that I think I will be seriously boycotting that shit in the future.
Free speech is about to become terrorism.

Offline Eugen

• Count
  • Renown: 180
  • Infamy: 26
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Postla
« Reply #641 on: July 22, 2013, 12:50:06 am »
Dark souls is a game meant for PS3. Dont play it on PC.

Offline Havoco

• Duke
  • Renown: 538
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Hospookfans
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Havoc
  • IRC nick: Havoco
« Reply #642 on: July 22, 2013, 01:20:24 am »
I only bought it because I wanted a steam trading card.  :lol:
Pock gobblers

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #643 on: July 22, 2013, 02:28:22 am »
Been playing this again. Last time I raged at capra demon. This time we actually got gfwl working with that mod. Works a treat and can summon friends every single time without fail now. Capra demon just got owned with two of us.

Dark souls is a game meant for PS3. Dont play it on PC.

It has its quirks on pc but as long as you have a controller its no worse than most games.

Offline Nehvar

• Duke
  • Renown: 550
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: July 22, 2013, 07:29:25 am »
+1
Yeah, No multiplayer for me, since my GFWL account is in Korean for some unknown reason. Had to make an offline account.  :?

I've had so many negative experiences with GFWL that I think I will be seriously boycotting that shit in the future.

I hear you on that.  This game was my first experience with GFWL and It will be my last.
WSE2 gives us the key to a wonderful world of butthurt...