Author Topic: Europa Universalis General Thread  (Read 64706 times)

Offline Latvian

• King
  • Renown: 1494
  • Infamy: 379
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • с̴͎͖͈͟͠ͅу̷̸̻̣͇͚̫͎͇̩̟̖̪͇̯к̀́͠͞҉͎͚͎а̰̤͕̱͔̬͖̟̺͍͎́͞ ̸͝
    • View Profile
  • Faction: one and only DESERTERS
  • Game nicks: u know its me when you see me
Re: Europa Universalis General Thread
« Reply #345 on: August 27, 2013, 07:41:03 pm »
just get someone who knows how to play it to play with you. Great game.
people are like potatoes, they come in different shapes and sizes and they all are beautifull
masturbating while looking in a mirror isnt wrong unless its the rear view mirror and you are driving a school buss.

it doesnt matter if you are happiest person or an unfortunate weeper, a powerfull beast or a terrifying creature. we are all equal, in the eyes of the reaper.

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
  • Renown: 1049
  • Infamy: 651
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Man, I still play this shit?
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Anders_Astralis
« Reply #346 on: August 27, 2013, 10:32:21 pm »
so just played the demo to see if i would have like it, put in about 4hrs of work on Austria.  I had absolutely no idea what i was doing, kept pushing wasd keys to move and was switching the map a whole assortment of colors. I first started with the whole northern border of Austria  in a Finnish revolt where they had like 60 troops which i eventually overcame.  I took over Antwerpen and the surrounding area after the revolt but couldnt figure out how to annex all of the territories they had taken, eventually they got to keep one territory which i broke an alliance with to go to war to take it as well.  Venice kept claiming my land every like 2 months or so,  I couldnt figure out how to research anything, it kept telling me to colonize Africa and i had no idea how to do it.   I had a stability of -4 for most of the game, Played for like an hour with 1 advisor because i wasnt sure what to do, and kept having people leave the Holy Roman Empire.  Also didnt realize i was the king of the Holy Roman Empire until near the end of my playthrough lol.  Still dont understand the point in getting access with other peoples ports because it didnt seem to extend the range of my vessels at all.  Never once saw a pirate btw, do they exist, because all i kept seeing was Venice, Spain, and Frisia sailing all over the goddamn place.  Also, the trade system totally lost me, do i have to send/build a boat? or do we autotrade once we pick a place to trade with?  Also what made other places better to trade with than another, since half the places i saw just had 0's for everything? did i not discover those? it said i had already did.

Well in the end, playing the demo sparked my interest to wanna play more, but im still not sure what to do, or if it will have replay value enough to wanna keep playing.  I bought civilization 5 and played through it on the gigantic world one time and then never really played it again.

Did you ignore the tutorial? The tutorial does a good job explaining the basics enough.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline AntiBlitz

• Duke
  • Renown: 636
  • Infamy: 187
  • cRPG Player
  • American Scum
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: August 28, 2013, 01:25:54 am »
Wasnt much of a tutorial on the demo, I just closed it because it told me next to nothing, so i dove in head first and started playing.

I just played as portugal, which went pretty poorly i might add.  I started by going to war with Morrocco for CasaBlanca as i had a claim for it and it was a mission objective.  As soon as i started the war, Great Britain chimes in asking me to help them in the war, i egregiously accepted to not take the penalty hit.  I had already committed all my troops to Africa, so this was kinda lame as France comes out of nowhere and lands troops in Portugal.  I ended up being stuck in a war with morrocco that wouldnt end even though i occupied 3 of their territories they refused to concede defeat or let me for that matter, i eventually ran out of manpower and gold, attempting to fight on both fronts and had to take loans out until i just went apeshit broke. 

Any advice? lol

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
« Reply #348 on: August 28, 2013, 03:47:32 am »
Yea, Ignore England. You get shit up if you follow them.(depends on you, try to wait out the years of the hundred years wars. England WILL lose, just depends on time.

Or, you can do other things, like NOT war morrocco(actually a good idea, btw. Converting to catholic will be hard that early). Spain will go for you, so getting powerful allies to counter Castille is smart.

As an FYI: with England, I hot joined, so the AI was some 700 dollars in loans(12 74 dollar loans) involved in 2 wars(burgundy and France) had rebellions out the wazoo, and...well it suck bad.

50 years later, I paid back all debts, owned Scotland and Ireland, and had the biggest navy. England is a good ally, just they start off real real bad. gotta wait it out by like 30 years.

Offline Largg

• Earl
  • Renown: 321
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: August 28, 2013, 06:26:51 am »
I've played a few hundred years as Portugal, my first real attempt in EU series. Here's few points and thoughts so far:

- Alliances are hardly worth it, they just succumb you into pointless wars. Coalitions are much better choice.
- You can call back colonists after they've reached the destination, you don't need to watch the meter go all the way up. It will be slower but might be useful if you need to hog land fast before others get foothold on continents.
- Pillaging the natives if by far the easiest and fastest way to get money. Mali, Huron, Shawnee etc etc., you can beat them very easily and get thousands of gold fast.
- There's no need and no point(?) coring all your colonies. It costs a ton of admin points and will get slower and slower by the time. Core a few so you can reach farther and recruit units.
- Plan your colonial conquests according to trade nodes and flows, they cannot be changed. Steering trade on multiple points and collecting it in the end gives loads of money.

Offline Vovka

• King
  • Renown: 1174
  • Infamy: 240
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Druzhina
  • Game nicks: Druzhina_Vovka
  • IRC nick: Vovka
« Reply #350 on: August 28, 2013, 09:44:20 am »
+1
I've played a few hundred years as Portugal, my first real attempt in EU series. Here's few points and thoughts so far:

- Alliances are hardly worth it, they just succumb you into pointless wars. Coalitions are much better choice.
in ally wars u can make seperate peace and u cant make separete peace in coalition
- You can call back colonists after they've reached the destination, you don't need to watch the meter go all the way up. It will be slower but might be useful if you need to hog land fast before others get foothold on continents.
u will pay extramoney for each colony if # colony > #colonist
- Pillaging the natives if by far the easiest and fastest way to get money. Mali, Huron, Shawnee etc etc., you can beat them very easily and get thousands of gold fast.
- There's no need and no point(?) coring all your colonies. It costs a ton of admin points and will get slower and slower by the time. Core a few so you can reach farther and recruit units.
goodluck with 100+ over_extension
- Plan your colonial conquests according to trade nodes and flows, they cannot be changed. Steering trade on multiple points and collecting it in the end gives loads of money.

Offline Largg

• Earl
  • Renown: 321
  • Infamy: 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: August 28, 2013, 12:04:31 pm »

in ally wars u can make seperate peace and u cant make separete peace in coalition
Still you will need to get the 10 warscore to make separate peace which can be quite a nuisance especially if you need to organize trading fleets etc.

u will pay extramoney for each colony if # colony > #colonist
True, used only if needed.

goodluck with 100+ over_extension
Not with distant overseas, I think it's related to continent where colony is.

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #352 on: August 28, 2013, 02:11:30 pm »
You're better off making stron allies than pointlessly jumping into coalitions.  Coalitions have a use but they are not as beneficial as strong alliances.
Turtles

Offline Vovka

• King
  • Renown: 1174
  • Infamy: 240
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Druzhina
  • Game nicks: Druzhina_Vovka
  • IRC nick: Vovka
« Reply #353 on: August 28, 2013, 02:26:11 pm »
You're better off making stron allies than pointlessly jumping into coalitions.  Coalitions have a use but they are not as beneficial as strong alliances.
coalition system is most stupid thing in the game  :? mainly consists of former enemies that can hurt a little, and only annoyed with a bunch of useless battles
I prefer to use my vassals as allies, they cant  attack and will always come to help u in war)

Offline H4rdn3ssKill3r

• Baron
  • Renown: 107
  • Infamy: 46
  • cRPG Player
  • Crummy Wizard
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: naaaaaaaaaah
« Reply #354 on: August 28, 2013, 03:57:53 pm »
Alliances are dank as fuck.

Find a strong European power, such as Austria, France or Burgundy. Suck their dicks for a bit and any European war you'll most probably win.

Worked wonders when I was playing as Castile.
Now I'm currently playing as the timurids and fuck everything about the new over expansion system, badboy was so much better. Every fucking province I need to core gives me over 40% over expansion and thus means I can't take everything in one go.
f8uasdlöadk blablablababa lbalba
^ Analogy of discussions on forums.

Offline Necrorave

• Duke
  • Renown: 609
  • Infamy: 71
  • Who the fuck is this guy?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul
  • Game nicks: Necrorave and or Cheesus Crust
  • IRC nick: Necrorave
« Reply #355 on: August 28, 2013, 05:39:51 pm »
Started as Tuscany.  Took over most of Italy.  The Naples I am still working out due to my Alliance with Aragon.  (They own Naples's Ass right now)

All I know is you can be best friends with a country and they will turn on you for no apparent reason sometimes.  It can be frustrating.  Nonetheless, I own them now.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #356 on: August 28, 2013, 05:44:24 pm »
Only reliable allies are vassals, at least that's how EUIII was.

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline BASNAK

• King
  • Renown: 1349
  • Infamy: 170
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MolonLave_Garlic
« Reply #357 on: August 28, 2013, 05:51:13 pm »
+1
In my first game as Venice I found Coalitions to be stupid as fuck. I tried pressing join coalition versus Ottomans, just to see what it does. Then Hungary or some weakass country declared war on the Ottomans and it automatically made me join the side of Hungary and couldn't conduct any diplomacy with the Ottomans, only the Hungarians could do that. And I ended up loosing a shitload of provinces after we lost the war - Because the Hungarians decided to keep their own shit and give mine away.

So lesson of the day, don't use Coalitions and Fuck the Hungarians. (nothing personal Christo :D)

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #358 on: August 28, 2013, 05:52:00 pm »
+1
fuck you too mate  :mrgreen:

(click to show/hide)

fite me irl

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
« Reply #359 on: August 28, 2013, 10:30:07 pm »
Alliances are dank as fuck.

Find a strong European power, such as Austria, France or Burgundy. Suck their dicks for a bit and any European war you'll most probably win.

Worked wonders when I was playing as Castile.
Now I'm currently playing as the timurids and fuck everything about the new over expansion system, badboy was so much better. Every fucking province I need to core gives me over 40% over expansion and thus means I can't take everything in one go.

Same thing I tell everyone else. Don't fuking do that. You have to do it piecemeal, unless the provinces are crap(like the ones in arabia or africa) then you can just merc them all day. I like this new OE system. In curbs growth of players(AI seems to not worry to much about it), by causing rebellions, etc.