Author Topic: Europa Universalis General Thread  (Read 64542 times)

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #120 on: February 23, 2013, 07:29:23 pm »
+1
Mmh, now my Byzantine Empire suddenly seems less impressive, but I believe he started earlier and in a better position than me.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Getting closer
(click to show/hide)

Serbia, Bosnia, Georgia and Mamluks are my vassals. I love having vassals, they take care of rebellions and siege for you and stuff, makes being a warmonger so much more relaxing.

50 years since I stopped being the Ottoman's bitch and made them my bitch. I have been expanding in a balls to the wall fashion since then. I usually play in a more conserved fashion and slowly expand, but not this time. Overextension keeps happening/disappearing. My infamy is at the max now. I had a mission to conquer Southern Italy, which meant 3 provinces held by Naples, including their capital. So I had the conquest Casus Belli on those three exclusively and I would get cores on them if I took them. Sadly you can't take a capital city unless you annex the whole deal, which I did for a gruesome 20 infamy. Probably a bad move because this slows me down incredibly, although I am thinking about giving the finger to my infamy limit.

Somehow France got destroyed in my game and Castille did not really expand into Africa. I got myself into a war with Castille and made them release Granada, Aragon and Galicia, basically to prevent them from rising to supersuperpowerdom as the colonizing era has started, this should slow them down significantly. Burgundy is really the only major power, they maintain double my army, with half my economy and I get -20 a month when I do not gain inflation. I expanded far enough to the East in my opinion so I am trying to weaken Golden Horde significantly, because they will be my neighbours for the rest of the game. I want to have them release all their vassals, which is most of the orthodox/Russian countries.

I intend to at least get my borders beyond the picture, just to have a clear goal. I hope to get there in another 50 years. Then maybe expand to the Old Roman Empire borders, depending on if I get bored. I am starting to really feel the technology difference now though when fighting Western countries.

Offline Zanze

• Earl
  • Renown: 366
  • Infamy: 69
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Raven_Zan
Re: Europa Universalis General Thread
« Reply #121 on: February 23, 2013, 08:02:08 pm »
D&T is VERY and extremely Pro-Roman.

Nice empire you got there Teeth. I love vassals as well, everyone else I play with hates them. Vassals / PU's rock.

From what I see, just make sure to repay your loans on time. Try and avoid taking loans, and don't pass your infamy limit. Everyone will hate you, ESPECIALLY your own country. Nasty events.

Burgundy will probably be the most annoying if they get HRE emp. Otherwise, it looks like you have it in the bag. Castille isn't as hard to beat as many people say, Austria doesn't look like it has its main OP provinces either. Probably want to finish Africa while you are there, start coring Morocco when you can to expand to new world. They also have a few nice provinces on that side.

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
  • Renown: 446
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SeQueL
  • IRC nick: SeQueL
« Reply #122 on: February 23, 2013, 09:30:40 pm »
Mmh, now my Byzantine Empire suddenly seems less impressive, but I believe he started earlier and in a better position than me.

Getting closer
(click to show/hide)

Serbia, Bosnia, Georgia and Mamluks are my vassals. I love having vassals, they take care of rebellions and siege for you and stuff, makes being a warmonger so much more relaxing.

50 years since I stopped being the Ottoman's bitch and made them my bitch. I have been expanding in a balls to the wall fashion since then. I usually play in a more conserved fashion and slowly expand, but not this time. Overextension keeps happening/disappearing. My infamy is at the max now. I had a mission to conquer Southern Italy, which meant 3 provinces held by Naples, including their capital. So I had the conquest Casus Belli on those three exclusively and I would get cores on them if I took them. Sadly you can't take a capital city unless you annex the whole deal, which I did for a gruesome 20 infamy. Probably a bad move because this slows me down incredibly, although I am thinking about giving the finger to my infamy limit.

Somehow France got destroyed in my game and Castille did not really expand into Africa. I got myself into a war with Castille and made them release Granada, Aragon and Galicia, basically to prevent them from rising to supersuperpowerdom as the colonizing era has started, this should slow them down significantly. Burgundy is really the only major power, they maintain double my army, with half my economy and I get -20 a month when I do not gain inflation. I expanded far enough to the East in my opinion so I am trying to weaken Golden Horde significantly, because they will be my neighbours for the rest of the game. I want to have them release all their vassals, which is most of the orthodox/Russian countries.

I intend to at least get my borders beyond the picture, just to have a clear goal. I hope to get there in another 50 years. Then maybe expand to the Old Roman Empire borders, depending on if I get bored. I am starting to really feel the technology difference now though when fighting Western countries.

D&T starts 50 years earlier, but it's also harder to start as Byz then in Vanilla.

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #123 on: February 24, 2013, 06:00:01 am »
Started a game as Orleans, after breaking off from France and having to fend off several attempts at getting me back into them, while also expanding a bit on the side ofc, a massive amount of nations declared war on France and especially Burgundy steamrolled them, I had a treaty with them so I had to declare war on a vassal to get in on the fun. France pretty much losses all its land in a year, peace is made with them being like half their original size, only for another war on France to shortly after erupt. Second war goes a lot like the first one, because I didn't want other stronger nations gaining from the destruction of France I made a peace which freed nations in the provinces other nations had captured. I finally follow up with breaking my truce right afterwards and taking everything that's left but a single province, sure I ended up with like 35 infamy, but fuck it.

Also amazed at England pretty much losing all its land to the Scottish.
(click to show/hide)
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #124 on: February 24, 2013, 07:57:34 am »
Bought the expansions and trying with England again. Took over Ireland and Scotland easily enough, although there was a bit of a dickish situation where France made Scotland their vassals after I took all their provinces and France then annexed the final province. Meaning I had to go full scale war with France over one poxy Scottish province  :| A couple of missions included build a larger army than France (sod that they have a huge one) and a bigger navy (easy).

I've been steadily upgrading ever since and now I'm focusing on the colonial side. After taking Greenland I started on Canada and am now moving down into the US and Caribbean after getting missions to take there. Main issue I have is funds, keep getting deficits every now and then and struggling to right that. I think that may possibly be because my standing army is to large maybe. I think I have a complex after being attacked so much by France in my first game on vanilla. I should probably reduce those and simply concentrate on my navy. Pretty much just learning the game atm so thought I'd do the colonial thing which seems relatively simple.

Expansions do seem nicer I must say. My only issue is legitimacy. My legitimacy is always bad.

Looks like they got hit from several directions. I know how that feels, I was attacked by France, Brittany and a couple of others, then as I was fending them off the Scots decided to jump in and ended up taking my Northern provinces before I could fend them off as well.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 09:40:59 am by Overdriven »

Offline Teeth

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 24, 2013, 07:20:18 pm »
From what I see, just make sure to repay your loans on time. Try and avoid taking loans, and don't pass your infamy limit. Everyone will hate you, ESPECIALLY your own country. Nasty events.
I was really mad about that loan, I had 3 gold and a positive monthly balance, yet I somehow ran out of cash. I did a save to test what would happen if I passed my infamy limit, I read somewhere it was considered a good way to do very quick expanding, but at a risk of getting yourself in too many wars. That sounded okay to me, but they forgot to tell me that I would get a strong revolt in a random province like every month. I had a 26k rebellion popping up, jeez.

So yeah, I won't be passing my infamy limit, that shit is ridiculous.

D&T starts 50 years earlier, but it's also harder to start as Byz then in Vanilla.
Wat? I just downloaded D&T and they have 3 provinces together, 2.5x the army, a friggin CoT, weak ass Ottomans, plenty of small factions to prey on and a way better economy. Surely that beats having two spread out provinces, a 3k army, a superpower breathing in your neck and being dirt poor.

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 24, 2013, 07:29:34 pm »
Bought the expansions and trying with England again. Took over Ireland and Scotland easily enough, although there was a bit of a dickish situation where France made Scotland their vassals after I took all their provinces and France then annexed the final province. Meaning I had to go full scale war with France over one poxy Scottish province  :| A couple of missions included build a larger army than France (sod that they have a huge one) and a bigger navy (easy).

I've been steadily upgrading ever since and now I'm focusing on the colonial side. After taking Greenland I started on Canada and am now moving down into the US and Caribbean after getting missions to take there. Main issue I have is funds, keep getting deficits every now and then and struggling to right that. I think that may possibly be because my standing army is to large maybe. I think I have a complex after being attacked so much by France in my first game on vanilla. I should probably reduce those and simply concentrate on my navy. Pretty much just learning the game atm so thought I'd do the colonial thing which seems relatively simple.

Expansions do seem nicer I must say. My only issue is legitimacy. My legitimacy is always bad.

Looks like they got hit from several directions. I know how that feels, I was attacked by France, Brittany and a couple of others, then as I was fending them off the Scots decided to jump in and ended up taking my Northern provinces before I could fend them off as well.

Be careful, for each province that you're colonizing you pay a colonizing fee for sustaining it until it becomes self sustainable (I.E becomes your province @ 1000 population). You can see it under the financial tab.

I was really mad about that loan, I had 3 gold and a positive monthly balance, yet I somehow ran out of cash. I did a save to test what would happen if I passed my infamy limit, I read somewhere it was considered a good way to do very quick expanding, but at a risk of getting yourself in too many wars. That sounded okay to me, but they forgot to tell me that I would get a strong revolt in a random province like every month. I had a 26k rebellion popping up, jeez.

So yeah, I won't be passing my infamy limit, that shit is ridiculous.
Wat? I just downloaded D&T and they have 3 provinces together, 2.5x the army, a friggin CoT, weak ass Ottomans, plenty of small factions to prey on and a way better economy. Surely that beats having two spread out provinces, a 3k army, a superpower breathing in your neck and being dirt poor.

Ottomans can declare war on you at any time and unlike in Vanilla where you can cut them off from getting to Constantinople with ships there is a second land bridge D&T added in to get to you. Ottomans also start with a larger fleet and can field a 25~k army.

Also if you expand to far into Ottomans if you manage to survive that Manlukes can pull a CB on you over Ottomans territory who can field a 40-50k army.

Also expanding to these smaller nations are generally protected by much bigger nations just like in Vanilla. I found Byrz harder in D&T personally.

Offline Teeth

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 24, 2013, 07:42:30 pm »
Ottomans can declare war on you at any time and unlike in Vanilla where you can cut them off from getting to Constantinople with ships there is a second land bridge D&T added in to get to you. Ottomans also start with a larger fleet and can field a 25~k army.
With what navy would you cut them off? Ottomans start with like 12 galleys, while you have a naval force limit of like 9. Besides, Ottomans have half their provinces on the same landmass as Constantinople. Can't the Ottomans declare war on you at any time in Vanilla, I thought I was just lucky they didn't? Ottomants also field a 20-25k army in Vanilla right off the bat, compared to your 3k.

Looking at things Byzantium seems a shitload easier on D&T, but I don't know how the mod works.

(click to show/hide)
I am more amazed at Castille losing a lot of land to Aragon. Englang has gotten fucked in several of my games, Castille never has gotten fucked without my interference.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 09:52:03 pm by Teeth »

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 24, 2013, 11:03:47 pm »
Be careful, for each province that you're colonizing you pay a colonizing fee for sustaining it until it becomes self sustainable (I.E becomes your province @ 1000 population). You can see it under the financial tab.

Yup I noticed that colonising fee. I held on till a few of my colonies became full towns so that eased a bit and now I'm more careful. I reduced my standing army and also finally learnt exactly how to manage the treasury slider and tech sliders. I now have about 500 ducats coming in annually. Basically upgrading everything, colonising fast and just kicked Austria's arse out of North America after a war with Austria and Castille.

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #129 on: February 24, 2013, 11:04:50 pm »
Looking at things Byzantium seems a shitload easier on D&T, but I don't know how the mod works.
I am more amazed at Castille losing a lot of land to Aragon. Englang has gotten fucked in several of my games, Castille never has gotten fucked without my interference.
I've never had a game stretching somewhat far were Castille didn't get completely fucked, England however is mostly a superpower.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 25, 2013, 02:07:35 am »
With what navy would you cut them off? Ottomans start with like 12 galleys, while you have a naval force limit of like 9. Besides, Ottomans have half their provinces on the same landmass as Constantinople. Can't the Ottomans declare war on you at any time in Vanilla, I thought I was just lucky they didn't? Ottomants also field a 20-25k army in Vanilla right off the bat, compared to your 3k.

An extremely easy tactic you can use as Byz in Vanilla is go over Navy Limit with inflation and destroying their navy and blocking their huge armies from coming over while you take everything on your side. Since their navy is dead you can disband what you don't need and decrease inflation again for a easy start. You can abuse that little gap really easy.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 25, 2013, 11:09:09 am »
+1
Aragon have been slowly taking out Castille on my game as well. France and Austria are my biggest rivals although France only on the continent, Austria has been a bitch in the Americas. After a 3rd war with Austria and Castille after them and their entire alliance attacked me (around 10 nations) I ended up forcing them into a peace deal which meant they have given up pretty much all of their colonies. I gained the majority of the Carribean, a couple of American provinces and also have begun colonising South Africa. The Hansa tried to invade the UK a few times but soon sued for peace after I sunk their fleets. Leaving just the colonial wars.

All in all it's going rather well at the moment. I've focused heavily on naval power, sinking a lot of funds into fleets so I've managed to limit a lot of reinforcement opportunities during the wars

My world map at 1586:
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 11:25:25 am by Overdriven »

Offline Teeth

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 25, 2013, 12:14:43 pm »
You might want to consider moving your colonizing efforts to the southeast corner of North America, Florida and stuff. Those lands that are now held by a native faction, you can seize those provinces easily if you can take the 1 infamy per province. Those provinces are where the good trade/production goods are at like coffee, cotton and sugar, compared to the mediocre fur and horrible naval supplies up north. Provided if you have the colonial range of course, if not, should have gotten Madeira as early as possible  8-)

And what the fuck, in your game as well as Zlisch's Aragon and Portugal actually take provinces from Castille. How does that even work? This has never, and I mean never happened in all of my dozen games. Castille usually unites Iberia in a pinch and then takes all of fucking North Africa, then it becomes a colonizing power the size of an elephant.

An extremely easy tactic you can use as Byz in Vanilla is go over Navy Limit with inflation and destroying their navy and blocking their huge armies from coming over while you take everything on your side. Since their navy is dead you can disband what you don't need and decrease inflation again for a easy start. You can abuse that little gap really easy.
Didn't think of such dastardly tactics :P

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 25, 2013, 12:26:27 pm »
I've had Portugal and Aragon smash Castille in a pincer grip in my game as England as well, i even helped a bit.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 25, 2013, 01:14:38 pm »
You might want to consider moving your colonizing efforts to the southeast corner of North America, Florida and stuff. Those lands that are now held by a native faction, you can seize those provinces easily if you can take the 1 infamy per province. Those provinces are where the good trade/production goods are at like coffee, cotton and sugar, compared to the mediocre fur and horrible naval supplies up north. Provided if you have the colonial range of course, if not, should have gotten Madeira as early as possible  8-)

And what the fuck, in your game as well as Zlisch's Aragon and Portugal actually take provinces from Castille. How does that even work? This has never, and I mean never happened in all of my dozen games. Castille usually unites Iberia in a pinch and then takes all of fucking North Africa, then it becomes a colonizing power the size of an elephant.
Didn't think of such dastardly tactics :P

Yeah I was trying on Florida but my last attempt failed. Unfortunately that faction in the South-East corner is Portugal, not a native. Seeing as I just got out of a costly war with Austria I'm going to hold off attacking them for a while. I have a little more space to expand on the coast, then I'll expand along Africa as well. In the mean time I'll work on making a war with Portugal feasible. It will require a lot of ships I think. Plus I need to get my infamy down. Stealing all those colonies from Austria and Castille cost me 30 infamy as I was the defender. So will take a few years to reduce that.

Lol well in mine I think France and Castille fought it out for a time and in the process Castille got a bit raped. Portugal I think went to war with them around the same time and I guess Aragon must have snuck in there. They haven't been doing much for a while though and I think Castille is now very weak, especially after I stole a lot of their colonies.