Author Topic: Europa Universalis General Thread  (Read 64496 times)

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #90 on: February 19, 2013, 04:05:18 pm »
+1
"Leave the waging of wars to others! But you, happy Austria Bohemia, marry; for the realms which Mars awards to others, Venus transfers to you."

(click to show/hide)
Light green are Personal Unions, darker green are allies, light blue are royal marriages. Spamming them marriages all over the place, so far it got me a Personal Union with Brandenburg, Brunswick, Byzantium, Naples and Armagnac. You can eventually inherit their entire stuff right, with cores and everything? Cause I can integrate Brandenburg as well, but having 4 unlawful territories will rape my infamy.

This is the political map. I am 100 Imperial Authority away from forming the HRE, so I might even get there before 1500. Trying to form the HRE is fun, wars everywhere.
(click to show/hide)

I love how this thing looks when I am Emperor and Papal Controller. Liberating countries gets you a lot of allies, it is getting kinda annoying to click all of the messages away when I get attacked and they join me.
(click to show/hide)

Somehow, the game is running more or less fine on my other PC.

Anyhow, here is a challenge to you, EU3 pros: recreate Byzantine Empire! As in, starting with the Byzantine faction and recovering its territories pre-turk invasion.

I will probably be trying this myself now, will update, if any success.
That was actually what I was planning on doing on my next game, I have been supporting Byzantium a little in this one and they do alright.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #91 on: February 19, 2013, 04:20:04 pm »
Anyhow, here is a challenge to you, EU3 pros: recreate Byzantine Empire! As in, starting with the Byzantine faction and recovering its territories pre-turk invasion.

I will probably be trying this myself now, will update, if any success.

You mean, like this?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Actually this was my idea for a second campaign as well, I will keep using Death & Taxes mod though because I like it now more.
But I remember the vanilla start date looked insane, Byz only has Constantinople and some small insignificant island, right?

Also I might go for a bit of a converting playstyle, in my Hungary one I let everyone practice what they wanted, now I'll do otherwise.

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Teeth

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 19, 2013, 08:20:40 pm »
+1
Didn't even know that the second to last reform for the HRE is vassalizing all countries, pretty hilarious to declare war on someone, press 5 speed and wait until they have taken all the territory in your name.

This is what happens when the Golden Horse does it's automatic war declaring and my allies can't find their way there. All my German buddies are so confused.
(click to show/hide)

The last reform took a little longer than expected, because turns out that when all of the HRE members are in one fucking huge alliance no one dares to attack them anymore. Luckily the Reformation quickly converted some small German states to Protestantism, who I then bullied back to Catholicism all at once. And here we are, I think this has been the fastest expansion I have done.

Oh dear,
(click to show/hide)

Overextension, what a surprise. I tried to find out how many provinces I had, but the graph displayed that I had 1, think the HRE breaks the game.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 19, 2013, 09:49:15 pm »
Dat HRE, and in the early 1500's.

Holy mother of god.  :wink:

Question, can you become "Germany" like this now? You seem to hold everything there, I don't know much about german stuff and how the HRE works.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 09:52:17 pm by Christo »

Offline Teeth

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 19, 2013, 10:02:44 pm »
I think as my original culture is Czech I don't get the decision as an option even. I don't see it. I don't mind though, the Holy Roman Empire is way more awesome. I renamed Bohemia to New Rome. Fuck you Pope.

Doubt I will be playing this game much longer though. I am ten years further now, with about 3 rebellions every month still, got about 120k troops now and I still make about 600 yearly without putting military maintainance down and without inflation increasing. Castille is the second military nation with 60k troops. The way to becoming an OP powerhouse is always more interesting than being an OP powerhouse. Sadly this has caused me to never progress beyond like 1700 with a normal start game.

Well, time for the Byzantines then.

Oh, it does the province count now and I apparently have 144. Damn, I knew central Europe had small provinces but I didn't expect that many.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 10:24:46 pm by Teeth »

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
  • Renown: 446
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SeQueL
  • IRC nick: SeQueL
« Reply #95 on: February 20, 2013, 05:44:48 am »
I think as my original culture is Czech I don't get the decision as an option even. I don't see it. I don't mind though, the Holy Roman Empire is way more awesome. I renamed Bohemia to New Rome. Fuck you Pope.

Doubt I will be playing this game much longer though. I am ten years further now, with about 3 rebellions every month still, got about 120k troops now and I still make about 600 yearly without putting military maintainance down and without inflation increasing. Castille is the second military nation with 60k troops. The way to becoming an OP powerhouse is always more interesting than being an OP powerhouse. Sadly this has caused me to never progress beyond like 1700 with a normal start game.

Well, time for the Byzantines then.

Oh, it does the province count now and I apparently have 144. Damn, I knew central Europe had small provinces but I didn't expect that many.

Play Death and Taxes mod, a lot more countries stay alive to end date so you have more power houses to fight than the normal 1.

But yah, it comes to a point where you just win..

Only game I've ever finished I played with a friend and played as Portugal and colonized ALL of South America.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 20, 2013, 09:08:28 am »
You can fix overextension by pushing the decentralisation slider.

But yeah at this moment you pretty much won. That's the biggest problem with EU3 IMO. It is always much more difficult when you start, and gets easier as you develop. In all my playthroughs I think I was forced to give a province to the AI a handful of times.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 20, 2013, 01:35:31 pm »
Alright, here is a Q, since i seem to be missing something.
Trying a game as England, wage war on France.

First war was good, i would've actually won it, if not for Scotland joining in late on french side.

Every next war? Get stomped with casualty ratio 10:1 in every battle, regardless of whether or not i am outnumbered, am defending a crossing, have decent rolls, better generals or whatever... what gives?

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 20, 2013, 07:09:59 pm »
It's maybe my strategy and view on this, but I'd start with taking the British Isles under English control first, this way nothing can stab you in the back, only fleets which you can hold off with your royal fleet of doom.
(+Forming Great Britain in 15th-6th century is lulz)

So, blitz the hell out of Ireland first if you can (getting the "Conquer Ireland!" mission will speed this up fast, then if you're lucky you gain a CB against Scotland too at some point, or do it whichever way you'd like. Ireland isn't that much of a threat anyway, might start with the bigger problem.

As for France, you play with Lucky Nations? I heard it's complete balls and people advised on not using it.
Also it's obvious that you're at a disadvantage on their lands, you need to constantly ship troops and France is a huge landmass with insane manpower, they can mass-recruit in safer lands. Getting some of France's rivals on your side might help.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 20, 2013, 07:25:08 pm »
I annexed Scotland the next chance i got, got Ireland being mostly neutralised (Tyrone split between me and Brittany).
Hadn't even checked that, that sounds about what might be screwing my game up. Am sooooooo turning that off, thanks!

Offline Cyber

• Count
  • Renown: 237
  • Infamy: 49
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Cyber
« Reply #100 on: February 20, 2013, 09:29:29 pm »
I think i spent over 500h on EU3 and never finished a single SP game, most of the time you can stomp everyone after like 200-300 years so thats when I usually stop and i'm too much of a pussy to play something like chimu, MP is where most of the fun is at imo. After M&B2 it's probably my most anticipated game.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 09:53:45 pm by Cyber »

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 20, 2013, 11:16:27 pm »
After M&B2 it's probably my most anticipated game.

Greetings, fellow time traveler.

How are you today?  :wink:

Offline Teeth

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 20, 2013, 11:56:36 pm »
As for France, you play with Lucky Nations? I heard it's complete balls and people advised on not using it.
The term 'Lucky Nations' alone was enough reason for me to turn it off. You are playing a game where you can shape an alternate history, how is it fun to have the same half a dozen superpowers everytime?

As for playing England, abandon mainland Europe, unite Great Britain, build 50 Carracks and laugh at the silly French 80 army at the other side of the pond. Then colonize all of Murica and come back later with a 200k Europe invasion force. When I played England till about 1700 I never had more than a 10k army sitting in Britain, not a single enemy ever set foot on my lands after I united it. That was one of my first games and I had 70 ships covering 160 overseas provinces, don't do that. I just couldn't figure out why my tarrifs were so low :rolleyes:

Trying to hold your mainland stuff is a fucking pain and not worth it in my opinion, but perhaps it is a nice challenge cause otherwise England is a walk in the park. For the battles thing, maybe it has to do with discipline, with yours being very low or something. I have never been entirely sure what it does.

You can fix overextension by pushing the decentralisation slider.
I find overextension not that bad to be honest, as soon as the nationalism fades out there will be hardly any rebellions, especially with some courthouses. Besides, I can spare a few thousand troops as civil police. Nationalism just lasts 30 years, hardly a much slower solution than pushing sliders back to craptown. I have only 20% cores anyway, so I think I will just have to live with overextension for at least 50 years. I thought I would get cores on all of the HRE members provinces, but turns out you only get cores on a few central German provinces. Yet with 80% non cores I already get 5k a year which is 5 times what Castille gets, the second economy, HRE is truly redonkeylous.

I think i spent over 500h on EU3 and never finished a single SP game, most of the time you can stomp everyone after like 200-300 years so thats when I usually stop and i'm too much of a pussy to play something like chimu, MP is where most of the fun is at imo.
In my experience playing multiplayer reduces the 'time until you can stomp everyone' by about 300%, which makes it more boring to me than the singleplayer. I have only played fully cooperatively though. Playing competitively wouldn't seem that much fun to me, because the guy who selects the more powerful starting nation wins.

Offline Teeth

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 21, 2013, 12:11:48 am »
I have started a Byzantium game. Doublepost because the other one was already way too big. You were right ptx, it is very challenging. One redeeming thing about Byzantium is that it has a lot of claims and cores.

I was off to an amazing start though, I was honestly pretty proud of how that all unfolded (after having had to restart twice because I doomed my nation). I expanded from 2 to 9 provinces in 8 years, uhuh.

(click to show/hide)

Almost twenty fucking years later now though and I barely managed to do anything. I hold 12 provinces now. My economy is incredibly weak and unfavourable sliders make trading a no go. I ramped up some crazy war exhaustion trying to hold Trebizond from the Qara something nomads, did not succeed, got a 12k rebellion in Athens now. Now a bad thing about having a shit ton of claims is that it gives you negative prestige, -8 percent a year. The only noteworthy ally that I managed to secure, Hungary, is getting fucked by Bohemia, Austria and Poland. Getting any other alliances with this prestige and having a different faith is pretty much impossible. So it's up to me now, without any small unallied nations in sight. Basically hoping that Ottomans will soon crash and burn and that I can secure some wreckage.

(click to show/hide)

Worst thing though is having a lot of water in between territories and having no money or naval unit limits to increase my navy much. Meaning that any war with a power with a more powerful navy is incredibly hard to fight. Ferrying over 9k troops with 4 cogs all the time is a pain as well.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 21, 2013, 01:39:29 am »
Death&Taxes has a lot more manageable Byzantium start, that's for sure.