Author Topic: Europa Universalis General Thread  (Read 64604 times)

Offline AntiBlitz

• Duke
  • Renown: 636
  • Infamy: 187
  • cRPG Player
  • American Scum
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis General Thread
« Reply #555 on: April 02, 2014, 06:31:26 pm »
+3
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Umbra

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Krems, Freak Army of Gnjus
  • Game nicks: Umbra
« Reply #556 on: October 10, 2014, 06:34:55 pm »
Looking good

Offline AntiBlitz

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • American Scum
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: October 10, 2014, 09:23:49 pm »
Looking good

the entire dlc will be a warm welcome to the series, one that i shouldnt have to throw my money at because it should have been that way from the beginning, but one that i will anyways.

So many improvements, i cant wait.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: October 10, 2014, 09:55:54 pm »
Quick sum up of the DLC gameplay features from a veteran point of view?

Offline Umbra

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: October 10, 2014, 10:11:33 pm »
The feature that im looking forward to the most is creathing costume client states and marches. Marches are border vassals that will have increased military bonuses. Coupled with the fact that you will be able to set allied objectives and control there armies more means that you will have actual useful vassals now and not just diplo annexation fodder.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: October 10, 2014, 10:33:30 pm »
I suppose marches will not be counted towards the diplomatic relations limit otherwise there's no point.

Offline AntiBlitz

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • American Scum
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: October 10, 2014, 11:32:32 pm »
+1
Quick sum up of the DLC gameplay features from a veteran point of view?

better rebels, local autonomy, telling the retarded AI allies what to do and what not to do.  Nothing will get you killed more often then an ally who refuses to move from his country and watches you crumble  into dust, or when they charge in all crazy and die in some obscene manner only to let you get mopped up later on. 

30 years war mechanics look better as well, since the current mechanics are rather lacking, or could be construed as so bad that at times, it literally does nothing for the world at all, as if the event never occurred.  Ive had games where nobody turned protestant at all.

Improvements to the map are a nice change as well, most of the Asian and Indian land was just stamped in place, but never really fleshed out to be anything nice, or they all together just forgot about them.  Adding something like 300 new provinces to India and Asia will help diversify the area.

I would personally like to see better more rebellious mechanics associated to the colonies, since as of now, they are the most passive bunch of pussies you could add to your sphere of influence, they wont even make transports to ferry troops off the Caribbean islands, they just watch them burn while sitting on a single island. 

The other nice point is the boats, since you can now upgrade your boats, they arent a huge waste of money once  the next line comes out, for as of now, you have to delete them, lose the money you spent, typically 50g a pop, then create a whole new unit for 50g........a huge money and time sink since they take a year to build.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #562 on: October 10, 2014, 11:36:35 pm »
The boat thing was actually realistic though. Navies were ridiculously expensive and even after copper plating bottoms the hull would eventually warp and get eaten away, and the entire ship had to be decomissioned after a while. And boats were never a waste of money, but it might have changed since I last played EU4...trading fleets were great for making cash, especially with a colonial empire and strategically placed merchants orienting the flow, and military ships counted towards the total score, except for galleys. Galleys were better than military depending on location (inland sea's Mediterranean, Baltic, coast between Japan/China, etc) and if you had a large naval limit they made for cheap canon fodder.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 11:40:52 pm by Oberyn »

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: October 10, 2014, 11:59:48 pm »
telling the retarded AI allies what to do and what not to do.

Hope its not too OP, either way it sounds like a very large gameplay improvement.
Thx for feedback.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: October 11, 2014, 02:24:50 am »
I actually don't think giving the ability to upgrade ships is a good idea. It was both realistic and interesting to make fleets very costly to maintain at top technology. With the old system, a powerful navy was only a temporary advantage.

Offline AntiBlitz

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • American Scum
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: October 11, 2014, 02:37:49 am »
The boat thing was actually realistic though. Navies were ridiculously expensive and even after copper plating bottoms the hull would eventually warp and get eaten away, and the entire ship had to be decomissioned after a while. And boats were never a waste of money, but it might have changed since I last played EU4...trading fleets were great for making cash, especially with a colonial empire and strategically placed merchants orienting the flow, and military ships counted towards the total score, except for galleys. Galleys were better than military depending on location (inland sea's Mediterranean, Baltic, coast between Japan/China, etc) and if you had a large naval limit they made for cheap canon fodder.

no you are right, its not that they are a waste of money, its just that they are such a huge sink of cash, that at times, its not worth it, unless your nation specifically needs them for some means or another, they are somewhat worthless(British defense, or trade ships for trading power).  If you decide to purchase your fleet limit worth of heavy ships, like the early carrack, they are utter shit in 20 years time when the carrack comes along, and then in another 20 years if your still sailing about in carracks you are again the same boat, pun intended.  Decommissioning 50 heavy ships at 50g each is expensive, then repurchasing them again, count along the maintenance each month on these and you realize how much money is sank into something that doesnt really strike too big of a game changing mechanic in the game.

Initial purchase fee:
50gold x 50ships=2,500gold

Maintenance cost:
1.50maintenance fee x 50ships=75g x 12months=900yearly gold

lot of money falling out of your pocket.  With the new mechanic in place, you will be able to re-outfit them, which i think will be a welcome change to just scraping them all, unless its the same cost, and then ill cry.  Though the time without the ships i guess will be nice.

Could you honestly picture what or where these boats all go to die lol, like a huge boat graveyard of galleons and war ships heaped up from all the countries scraping their navies every 20 years for something else.

They spoke of new mechanics for the ships, so im ready to see what theyve done to them, and how it all will change, since as of now, im still on the bandwagon of heavy ships being worthless unless you are a country that needs them.  They just dont seem to be worth the cost, and idk how in the hell the tariff shit works with the heavy ships and ive played 400 hours of eu4 lol.  Do they need to be on patrol? or just in your fleet.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 02:41:03 am by AntiBlitz »

Offline Umbra

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: October 11, 2014, 02:47:40 am »
Tbh trade boats at least are always worth it.

Offline AntiBlitz

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • American Scum
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: October 11, 2014, 02:50:55 am »
Tbh trade boats at least are always worth it.

yep, they are worth the coin, and galley's while they used to be shit, are absolutely amazing now, id go as far as to say theyre the best ships you can buy.  If you watch the DDRjake Ryukyu challenge where he takes over the world, he exclusively uses galleys, as they are the most cost effective ship while also having tremendous power against all other ships while inland.  Anytime he captured heavy or light ships, he would just delete them all, and build more galleys.

Offline FleetFox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 711
  • Infamy: 72
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Fox Shox Rox
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Norsemen
  • Game nicks: Norse_Torr and FleetFox
« Reply #568 on: October 11, 2014, 10:05:36 am »
Hi guys, do you know if there is an option to turn down the graphics settings? My laptop gets really hot when I play this and CK2. Any suggestions? And no, buying a new comp is not an option hah
"Its better to die on your feet than to live on your knees."
― Emiliano Zapata

Offline Latvian

• King
  • Renown: 1494
  • Infamy: 379
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • с̴͎͖͈͟͠ͅу̷̸̻̣͇͚̫͎͇̩̟̖̪͇̯к̀́͠͞҉͎͚͎а̰̤͕̱͔̬͖̟̺͍͎́͞ ̸͝
    • View Profile
  • Faction: one and only DESERTERS
  • Game nicks: u know its me when you see me
« Reply #569 on: October 11, 2014, 10:44:30 am »
Hi guys, do you know if there is an option to turn down the graphics settings? My laptop gets really hot when I play this and CK2. Any suggestions? And no, buying a new comp is not an option hah
try to buy a new comp
people are like potatoes, they come in different shapes and sizes and they all are beautifull
masturbating while looking in a mirror isnt wrong unless its the rear view mirror and you are driving a school buss.

it doesnt matter if you are happiest person or an unfortunate weeper, a powerfull beast or a terrifying creature. we are all equal, in the eyes of the reaper.