Author Topic: Proximity based scoring should not be used.  (Read 6704 times)

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 338
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Sky belongs to Asagods as long as the raven flies.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Son_Of_Odin
Re: Proximity based scoring should not be used.
« Reply #90 on: August 10, 2012, 12:13:32 am »
For me (talking about strategus) killing enemy archers is more useful, since they're more dangerous for me and most of my team.

Well is this xp system going to be implemented in strategus as well? (Mighty donkey could answer this)

I don't know about others but I'm having rather satisfying scores with my ranged characters (mainly played with archer alt recently). The proximity based scoring is already in the game to my understanding so what's the matter?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

There is no sight in my third eye

Offline callahan9119

• Baron
  • Renown: 106
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Callahan9119
« Reply #91 on: August 10, 2012, 02:40:35 am »
When I was on today a guy who was -1 had third place.
Hello

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 338
  • Sky belongs to Asagods as long as the raven flies.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Son_Of_Odin
« Reply #92 on: August 10, 2012, 02:41:39 am »

So?
(click to show/hide)

There is no sight in my third eye

Offline Zandieer

• Baron
  • Renown: 87
  • Infamy: 25
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 10, 2012, 04:46:52 am »
+3

It's easy to top the scores with 0-2 kills. Shows how much you help your team, if it'd just be a K/D scoreboard, you'd look useless.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #94 on: August 10, 2012, 08:26:54 am »
+1
Saw Cyranule with 17-1 and 60 points.

EDIT: Should probably clarify. He was on horse, probably with only a few teammates with him. I feel that sniper/flanker classes are tougher to acquire points at the moment.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 09:21:40 am by san. »

Offline DaveUKR

• Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 242
  • cRPG Player
  • Small rain lays great dust
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 10, 2012, 09:32:13 am »
+2
What Lech said is correct, at least in the current version we or I have in mind. Yes, it's not perfect, but there is simply no perfect solution. This at least allows peasants to be somewhat helpful and feel rewarded by trying to help the old ones.

Also, XP barn and the like will obviously not work anymore - if everyone has a higher score, no one gains more because of that, because it's all relative.

Why do you care about peasant so much? I don't see them on the battlefield at all. There are only some players who pretend to be peasants with their lvl35 and 30 strength. If seriously, I've never seen more than 3-4 real peasants in one team since ages. And to say more - there is a dedicated server for peasants (up to lvl20), so they already have something.

There should be a different solution which will make it more interesting for new players, but taking this into account of balancing is just wrong. I don't know, give them some quests in the 1st generation maybe? It's RPG in the end. Like kill a horse with a rider - get 20k of exp, defend the virgin for 5 rounds - 20k of exp, make a goal in rageball - 20k of exp, kill an archer - get 10k of exp, survive 3 rounds in a row - 25k of exp, capture the flag on siege - 10k of exp, win a duel against someone who has higher lvl - 10k of exp, kill 20 players with 1 weapon - 30k of exp etc. Maybe you should make it more interesting, I've just suggested. It would add some goal in the game besides grind plus it will motivate players to try all the modes.

Offline Andswaru

• Duke
  • Renown: 554
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • SeaRaider_
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen of Fenada / SeaRaiders
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Andswaru
« Reply #96 on: August 10, 2012, 09:55:01 am »
They said they won't go away totally from current system. They just said that you gain x1 to x2.5 for winning/losing (analogue to current x1 to x5, i think it will be directly taken as it is)  AND additionally x0 to x3 for your score compared to your team and enemy team score.

The question that interests me the most is, were does my hard earned generation xp bonus fit into this grand scheme? A Pontential XP cap of 5500 if I am the best player on the battlefield (highly unlikely) means its going to be like grinding an alt to level up, and that in itself is a tedious enough process after you have enjoyed a larger xp amount on your main.
Smooth is the admin NA deserves. Not being that much better, EU deserves Thomek.
[18:25] <@chadz> soon(tm)

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 886
  • Infamy: 507
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 10, 2012, 12:54:18 pm »
For some reason I think that levels have something to with amount of points you get.

Offline Tindel

• Earl
  • Renown: 333
  • Infamy: 238
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Tindel
« Reply #98 on: August 10, 2012, 01:44:08 pm »
They will probably add the exp bonus at the end of the formula

Offline Toodles

• Knight
  • Renown: 76
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
  • DON'T CHASE CAV
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Merc_Bjorn
« Reply #99 on: August 10, 2012, 01:49:11 pm »
For some reason I think that levels have something to with amount of points you get.

I think this has more to do with higher levels generally being synonymous with greater amount of hit points - more damage to be dealt, more points to be gained - no?

I would of course much rather my opponent's total worth (in terms of K/D & victory/defeat ratios, level, gear value) have the greatest impact on scoring and thus the multiplicator it's tied to.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #100 on: August 10, 2012, 01:56:14 pm »
Why do you care about peasant so much? I don't see them on the battlefield at all. There are only some players who pretend to be peasants with their lvl35 and 30 strength.

I think what is meant by "peasant" is "new player", and it takes just a few hours of play now to not look like a peasant anymore, as opposed to the trial by fire peasanthood that lasted much longer in the old days. Some guy who has just been playing for a few weeks might be relatively well equipped (not counting looms), but he can't realistically be called a peasant anymore.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #101 on: August 10, 2012, 05:21:32 pm »
Haven't been on the forums in a few days, and I'm not reading 7 pages ...sowwy if this has already been said:

The current system doesn't even tie into XP/GOLD yet, and you already see a large increase in teamwork and people fighting in groups.  This is a good thing. As the 2nd poster in this thread said, the OP's suggestion would make even more rambo's, and solo heroes instead of people fighting as a team.

Teamwork almost always prevails when I'm in game.  One team usually is playing better as a team, and they win 99% of the time.  If this system tied into XP/Gold, I think you'd see even more/better teamwork.  It really is a welcome sight for someone playing this mod for 1.5 years, to finally see a decent amount of teamwork.

The only other time I saw teamwork this good, was on open plains and steppe maps, where you had to rely on teammates to stay alive and to be able to counter everything the enemy threw at you.

P.S.  Now going back to read the thread :P

*EDIT*

A good re-occurring point I keep seeing is how this (if tied into xp/gold) will affect archers.  As it stands cavalry doesn't generally benefit from the proximity factor, but they riding faster and getting a speed bonus deals more damage than on the ground (typically) so they are able to get more points per hit on an enemy.  This system is better for archers than before (IMO) just due to the fact they can get points for hitting people from far away.  But it does seem like archers will be hit hardest if we use the score system to determine XP/gold.

I personally really liked seeing the influx of archers in NA the last few days, it's really been missing. And I say this as a cavalry player, who absolutely hates enemy archers...but honestly, any decent army should have a good amount of archers, and you really see how devastating they can be when they are in numbers, and with the proper support.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 05:28:02 pm by CrazyCracka420 »
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline PieParadox

• Count
  • Renown: 219
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: PieParadox
« Reply #102 on: August 11, 2012, 07:43:17 am »
This was implemented again??

And you guys talk about the psychological advantage by having a teammate when fighting a lone enemy? Being that lone enemy just makes me try harder!

(click to show/hide)

Offline kongxinga

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Farmers
« Reply #103 on: August 13, 2012, 12:50:12 am »
Do you not realize the psychological effect that occurs when you are near more than one enemy? Just being in proximity of an enemy is an assist in a way because the enemy player has to focus on more than one player.

Agreed, but the proximity for HA or archers could be wider to account for the fact a HA who is shooting at the player from the rear is giving him another thing to worry about. And you can't block nothing from the rear.