Author Topic: Fixed collision meshes  (Read 3860 times)

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
Re: Fixed collision meshes
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2012, 08:14:54 am »
I understand nothing of this, technically, but is there a chance these more detailed meshes will have an impact on performance?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2012, 08:19:06 am »
There shouldn't be.

Offline Silveredge

• Count
  • Renown: 190
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Silveredge
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2012, 08:20:06 am »
Awesome.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2012, 08:22:46 am »
I understand nothing of this, technically, but is there a chance these more detailed meshes will have an impact on performance?

Collision meshes define where another object collides with the owner of the collision mesh (in this case the trees and doors). Dave made them smaller and more accurate to their 3d model.

Offline DaveUKR

• Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 242
  • cRPG Player
  • Small rain lays great dust
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2012, 09:03:58 am »
+1

These meshes have a very small amount of faces if you compare them to real model. Other exterior objects (houses, castles etc.) have significantly bigger amount of faces so this will never affect performance but will only fix some of these invisible walls.

Offline Chort

• Knight
  • Renown: 53
  • Infamy: 0
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Strangers
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2012, 09:31:02 am »
It would be nice to reduce the number of faces as much as possible. Collision meshes is used to detect collision on CPU, which is slower then GPU. There is a lot of factor that may affect to performance. It need to find a balance between face count and perfomance. At least remove some useless faces.

P.S. just a thought...
This is necessary. This is necessary. Life feeds on life feeds on life feeds on life feeds on........

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 1109
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2012, 09:37:08 am »
+1
Looking at the before's, I am mentally sighing at how the person in change were even allowed to stay at TaleWorlds. That is not even funny. Looks like 5 minute effort(in total).
When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2012, 09:41:27 am »
Looking at the before's, I am mentally sighing at how the person in change were even allowed to stay at TaleWorlds. That is not even funny. Looks like 5 minute effort(in total).

drew a cubical collision mesh over everything like boss

This also makes me wonder how the character hitboxes look...

Offline DaveUKR

• Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2012, 09:49:59 am »
+1
It would be nice to reduce the number of faces as much as possible. Collision meshes is used to detect collision on CPU, which is slower then GPU. There is a lot of factor that may affect to performance. It need to find a balance between face count and perfomance. At least remove some useless faces.

P.S. just a thought...

Palm collision mesh has the biggest amount of faces among others (78), the smallest amount is 6 (lol!). Just to compare: collision meshes of destroyed walls (currently used in strategus) have 400 faces (from 100 to 1500 faces actually) and that's just a destroyed castle wall.

And there are a lot of native trees with 50+ faces (even some with 100+) so generally it won't change anything, I just made it a bit more accurate.

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2012, 10:49:38 am »
What Dave isn't telling anyone is that he has gimped all the trees so that he can climb up the top of them and snipe us all like dogs.

Damn you Dave! DAMN YOU!
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Meow

• Awesome Consulting Detective
  • King
  • Renown: 1071
  • Infamy: 150
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2012, 01:11:15 pm »
Palm collision mesh has the biggest amount of faces among others (78), the smallest amount is 6 (lol!). Just to compare: collision meshes of destroyed walls (currently used in strategus) have 400 faces (from 100 to 1500 faces actually) and that's just a destroyed castle wall.

And there are a lot of native trees with 50+ faces (even some with 100+) so generally it won't change anything, I just made it a bit more accurate.

Besides the part where I already told you that the destroyed walls are not supposed to be in game, what do you mean by "just a destroyed castle wall"?
Obviously there are more trees around than destroyed castle walls, especially during normal gameplay.
Back when they were made they were done for testing, why they were actually included for strat I do not know since not only the collision models need fixing.

How much testing did you do with your new collision objects?
Performance wise I mean.
Here are the stats for the faces:

Name:
Original
Edited
bo_snowy_pine_2
bo_portcullis_a
bo_tree_e_1
bo_tree_e_2
bo_tree_e_3
bo_palm_a
bo_tree_a1

Could potentially kill the game on old CPUs on tree heavy maps.

Might have been a good idea to talk to someone (not me) about the intentionally bigger hitbox especially in the places where there is foliage on the trees.
Seems reasonable arrows and bolts stuck / deflected and horses stopped by heavy branches next to the trunk.
Thought about how easy this will make it for any ranged player on maps like Battle on Ice if they remove the foliage?

Also, which native trees have 50+ faces collision objects again?
Or did you just check the regular models and took the faces of those, then compared them to your collision objects?

Don't mean to be a dick here just thought I'd keep the undertone of our irc conversation about this.

Offline Ozin

• Duke
  • Renown: 584
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • IRC nick: Ozin
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2012, 01:39:12 pm »
Nice initiative, though some of those collision meshes could use some optimalization. Repeatable use of trees with "high" collision poly count is bad for server performance, so try to find a balance between accurate representation of the mesh and performance.

Offline DaveUKR

• Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2012, 01:40:07 pm »
+1
Meow, it's impossible to kill CPU even with heavy tree maps. Open xtree_meshes_c, most of them have more than 50 faces, open xtree_meshes_b, some of them have hundreds of faces (checked the first one under the cursor - bo_tree_8_c, 240 faces, same for other xtree_meshes files. bo_tree_a02 has 126 faces in tree_f.brf and others, cba to paste here. Just have a look and then post such huges posts.

Nice initiative, though some of those collision meshes could use some optimalization. Repeatable use of trees with "high" collision poly count is bad for server performance, so try to find a balance between accurate representation of the mesh and performance.

Most of trees in native .brf have more faces.

Offline Ozin

• Duke
  • Renown: 584
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • IRC nick: Ozin
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2012, 01:45:39 pm »
+1
I'm talking about collision meshes. The server doesn't need to render the normal meshes, only calculate collisions. Thus, keeping the collision meshes as low as possible is important. If some native tree collision meshes are bad for performance, it shouldn't be used as an excuse.

Offline Meow

• Awesome Consulting Detective
  • King
  • Renown: 1071
  • Infamy: 150
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2012, 01:47:15 pm »
Meow, it's impossible to kill CPU even with heavy tree maps. Open xtree_meshes_c, most of them have more than 50 faces, open xtree_meshes_b, some of them have hundreds of faces (checked the first one under the cursor - bo_tree_8_c, 240 faces, same for other xtree_meshes files. bo_tree_a02 has 126 faces in tree_f.brf and others, cba to paste here. Just have a look and then post such huges posts.

Most of trees in native .brf have more faces.

Also, which native trees have 50+ faces collision objects again?
Or did you just check the regular models and took the faces of those, then compared them to your collision objects?

So that part of my post was wrong, now answer the rest of it instead of ignoring it?
How much testing did you do?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 01:53:28 pm by Meow »