Author Topic: Adjust the new scoresystem slightly - Feedback  (Read 12917 times)

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Adjust the new scoresystem slightly - Feedback
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2012, 08:49:30 pm »
Well, it might be correlated. First of all, there will be a base gain for losing (think x1) and for winning (think x2 to x2.5)
And on top of that, you will get a personal score (ranging from x0 to x3, maybe).

I understand that the current system is not ready for that, it will take quite some tweaking. It's a very early test. If the test doesn't work out, we'll look for something else.

However, it's important to note that this will be relative, not absolute (gaining 20 points means more when the enemy has 1 point, and less when the enemy has 200)

Thanks. I feel winning should be the overriding aim for players though, rather than the pad their score. As long as you stand to gain more just from your team winning, with a small bonus for your personal contribution the new system might work well. If we go too far towards personal gain however rather than rewarding the group effort we may get issues. People know atm that in order to get more gold/xp they need to help the team to win, no matter what that involves them doing. You can be as creative towards that goal as you like and you are rewarded for your efforts already. If it becomes less about the group victory it might mean people play more selfishly. No matter what detail you add to the score system it won't cover team work, it just can't be done with something as abstract as that

A mix of the new system and old should be good though, but personally I would err more to the current multi system, while lessening the impact of a loss and still trying to make people really care about it. When you're on x5 now you know you have to perform well to keep you gold/xp up and it makes it more intense, but it is too much I guess to go back to x1
If you have ranged troubles use this:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2012, 08:52:09 pm »
+1
Thanks. I feel winning should be the overriding aim for players though, rather than the pad their score.

I agree with this.  Its the virtue of the multi system.  It also adds incentive for sacrifice plays that wouldn't add anything to your score, but may help your team win.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #62 on: August 06, 2012, 08:57:19 pm »
Alright, now combined with my own observations as well as the scoring system being published (horses divided by five) I am completely certain that threads like this are near pointless until a few weeks have passed by for everyone to actually get used to the scoring system and not "see what they want to see" such as horses giving more points then riders.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2012, 09:02:05 pm »
+2
The new score system needs some features specific to siege mode, i.e.:

-Points for breaking doors, opening/closing gates, etc
-Rather than getting points just for proximity to teammates' kills anywhere on the map, these points should be proportional to your proximity to siege objectives (flag, gate controls)
-Capturing or raising the flag should have a major point reward
-Standing on a ledge 20 ft from the flag shooting arrows while the enemy captures the flag should be -9000 points

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #64 on: August 06, 2012, 09:10:18 pm »
Alright, now combined with my own observations as well as the scoring system being published (horses divided by five) I am completely certain that threads like this are near pointless until a few weeks have passed by for everyone to actually get used to the scoring system and not "see what they want to see" such as horses giving more points then riders.

Quote from: chadz
algorythm here:
http://forum.meleegaming.com/general-discussion/adjust-the-new-scoresystem-slightly-feedback/msg573046/#msg573046

locking this thread for a few hours so the discussion moves there

Sounds like chadz wants us to talk about it in this thread.

Offline Rhekimos

• Duke
  • Renown: 672
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • ふふふふふ
    • View Profile
    • Forbiddena
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Rhekimos
  • IRC nick: Rhekimos
« Reply #65 on: August 06, 2012, 09:12:44 pm »

Horses give double points compared to players.

Score from damage done to players = damage done to players / 10

Score from damage done to horses = damage done to horses / 5

See?

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2012, 09:14:17 pm »

Sounds like chadz wants us to talk about it in this thread.

Reading the majority of replies sounds like most people are not paying close attention to how they gain points given how many contradict the published scoring system (Seems like an issue of "looking" for a specific result and warping perception in most cases). So I still stand by that most people need to step back and play the game a bit more before continuing the discussion.
Horses give double points compared to players.

Score from damage done to players = damage done to players / 10

Score from damage done to horses = damage done to horses / 5

See?
Given how it was typed out as two separate instances instead of an OR operation, I read it as "Divide all damage by ten" then going to the next operator "if a horse divide by an additional 5." It seems like a modifier given the "if" since things like the teamwounds are also operating off of "ifs."

If they are two separate cases then it needs to be rewritten as follows:
Current system:

- take the damage dealt
- cap it by what HP the enemy has left
- if it is a player divide by 10, round down
- if it is a horse and has a rider divide by 5,
- if it is a horse without rider set to 0
- if it's a teammate multiply by -2
- if you hurt yourself * -1
- give this score to the one who did the damage
- divide score by 2
- give to everyone within 3m that is an enemy of the one who was hit
otherwise the divide by ten applies to all scenarios.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 09:19:33 pm by Tears of Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline dynamike

• King
  • Renown: 1212
  • Infamy: 187
  • Let's be friends again?
    • View Profile
    • The Remnants Clan Website
  • Faction: Stratia
  • Game nicks: Remnant_dynamike
« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2012, 09:16:01 pm »
Current system:

- take the damage dealt
- cap it by what HP the enemy has left
- divide by 10, round down
- if it is a horse and has a rider divide by 5,
- if it is a horse without rider set to 0
- if it's a teammate multiply by -2
- if you hurt yourself * -1
- give this score to the one who did the damage
- divide score by 2
- give to everyone within 3m that is an enemy of the one who was hit

I don't like that this system penalizes cav and flankers who contribute an important part to the battle by picking off other flankers and archers away from the main force.

I understand that this is meant to reduce the incentive to pick of stragglers/peasants, but it does not completely fit the bill.

Otherwise good changes.
For while the fire in the heart of a single Remnant still burns... can Stratia truly have fallen?

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2012, 09:18:28 pm »
Given how it was typed out as two separate instances instead of an OR operation, I read it as "Divide all damage by ten" then going to the next operator "if a horse divide by an additional 5." It seems like a modifier given the "if" since things like the teamwounds are also operating off of "ifs."

This is how I read it as well.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #69 on: August 06, 2012, 09:20:41 pm »
Edited my post for clarity on why as written it absolutely says all is divided by ten first before modifiers.

Offline Rhekimos

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • ふふふふふ
    • View Profile
    • Forbiddena
« Reply #70 on: August 06, 2012, 09:23:03 pm »

If they are two separate cases then it needs to be rewritten as follows:otherwise the divide by ten applies to all scenarios.

Maybe it wasn't the clearest explanation, but you can't get 11 points from killing or damaging a horse if it's:

About 110 hp for the usual horse, divided by 10, and again divided by 5:

110 hp / 10 = 11
11 / 5 = 2.2 points. Not much.

If you deal half damage to a 110hp horse under the real system:

60 hp / 5 = 12 points.

I'm pretty sure this is the correct formula.

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #71 on: August 06, 2012, 09:25:41 pm »
+1
I'm pretty sure this is the correct formula.

It's not, it's an additional divide

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #72 on: August 06, 2012, 09:26:32 pm »
+1
To be perfectly honest I've never noticed 12 point gains from horses, only riders.

When I am far away from everyone else with no chance of "proximity" contamination from bonus points from a third source, I can look at my score, fire an arrow and bring a horse down with a headshot, and I personally do not notice a 12 point increase. I've had big bonuses from blowing people away, but never the same scores from horses.

EDIT: Ninjaed by chadz.

Offline Rhekimos

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • ふふふふふ
    • View Profile
    • Forbiddena
« Reply #73 on: August 06, 2012, 09:27:05 pm »
+1
It's not, it's an additional divide

That feels very strange, but thanks for clarifying.

Offline Riddaren

• Duke
  • Renown: 601
  • Infamy: 298
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Riddaren, Matthaus
« Reply #74 on: August 06, 2012, 09:34:28 pm »
First of all, this score system is amazing and it really changes the gameplay to the better in many ways.

A couple of things to think about though (I do not know if any of these things is the case already).
In general, not always (as it should still matter how much hp you take away):

- It should be more worth it killing someone rather than damaging someone
- It should be more worth it killing a rider than a horse
- It should be more worth it damaging a rider than a horse
- If you get the kill, the damage dealt shouldn't matter as much as if you just damaged without getting the kill

I also think that killing a riderless horse should give a minus score.
Not much, but enough for a player to reconsider it before just instakill a horse without even looking around if some teamate might want to mount it, which often is the case.
This will only improve teamplay while at the same time decreasing the risk of anyone killing a horse or any other animal IRL... :wink: