Author Topic: 1h tips!  (Read 7377 times)

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
1h tips!
« on: August 01, 2012, 11:25:13 pm »
so ive respecced tons of times and it seems ive turned shit at 1h :D Most of the good 1h moves i knew got nerfed to the ground by that stab change :(

So im lazy and need helps ^^ Im calling all good 1h users to post ye tips here  8-)
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline Strider

• Baron
  • Renown: 110
  • Infamy: 114
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: 1h tips!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 11:27:52 pm »
1st of all. What 1 handed weapon and sheild do you use? Makes all the difference.

Offline HarunYahya

• Marshall
  • Renown: 965
  • Infamy: 309
  • cRPG Player
  • Proud Abdulla wielder
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BashiBazouks
  • Game nicks: HarunYahya,HarunShootya,Inan
  • IRC nick: HarunYahya
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 11:36:59 pm »
+7
1-Get 7 ps
2-Get +3 steel pick
3-Use left swing only
4-???
5-Profit

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 11:55:51 pm »
Yeah, I think weapon and build matters.

I can give my #1 super secret universal tip though.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Mlekce

• Earl
  • Renown: 454
  • Infamy: 367
  • cRPG Player
  • Remove kebab
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard, ex Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Mlekce, Sergius
  • IRC nick: Mlekce
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 12:11:41 am »
1-Get 7 ps
2-Get +3 steel pick
3-Use left swing only
4-???
5-Profit

this is impossible to do with 5 athl. You will get kicked all the time,and you will be everyones bitch.
you need 12/27 build for that.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 12:14:33 am »
+1
Wiggle your attacks while using holds. Best with left swing while keeping the weapon right next to their head (hiltslash method of 1H). If you use a mace, slash them once on the ground after a knockdown and kick them up again for another free hit (and possibly a new knockdown)

I could make a long post about 1H play, but alas, I'm lazy.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Herkkutatti666

• Duke
  • Renown: 585
  • Infamy: 285
  • cRPG Player
  • Rips pärs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 12:31:53 am »
45* turn - overhead spam, they always block left and right
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Toodles

• Knight
  • Renown: 76
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
  • DON'T CHASE CAV
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Merc_Bjorn
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 12:43:25 am »
+3
As a 1h user you've got to keep on the move constantly, irrespective of your PS amount or weapon the speed bonus is your main weapon.

Don't concentrate on one target, you've got a shield (right?), this allows you to weave through mobs and cause damage to unsuspecting foes while those facing you most often backpedal hoping to outreach you - let them, they're only granting you a free hit on their teammate's backs. When you've done this to the same mob once, alter the method - pretend you're switching targets, then roll back onto the first. It's critical in a mobbing situation that EVERYONE expect to be hit EXCEPT the one YOU intend to hit. You won't outrange people, you won't beat them in terms of damage output for the most part, but by toying with your opponents and luring them into trying to catch you they'll unknowingly allow you to deal huge amounts of damage by suddenly facing and outswinging them.

Theres much, much more to say but I too lack the time right now. Might write more later! :D

Bjorn

Offline clown1231

• Knight
  • Renown: 25
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player
  • It's all about having fun.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Kingdom of Veluca (TKoV)
  • Game nicks: BardicPaladin
  • IRC nick: clown1231
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 02:05:25 am »
As with every melee technique, use of feints, chambering, and footwork can work wonders.

What I like to do personally due to my desire for teamwork, is that I'll soak up hits on my shield, giving others the chance to fight. When they're attention turns to the others, I give them a nice slash in the back.

What I've noticed, unfortunately, is that my stabs have glanced almost every single time. This shouldn't be an issue when I have 7 powerstrike. What I've found is that the only time they are useful is either when fighting swordcav or when both you and your enemy are running straight towards eachother.

Another thing I'd recommend is to get good at directional blocking. For me, at least, it just came with practice, to the point where it's reflex based. Since a shield slows your swings when it's equipped, don't be afraid to put it on your back, especially when dueling, and even more so when fighting swordcav.

Finally, train yourself to not be tricked by holds and feinting. When in a team fight (almost always), learn to recognize when you're in danger of being hit. Many two handers are decent at switching targets, so when you try to swing at them when they have a swing readied, they'll just turn slightly and hit you.

Offline HarunYahya

• Marshall
  • Renown: 965
  • Infamy: 309
  • cRPG Player
  • Proud Abdulla wielder
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BashiBazouks
  • Game nicks: HarunYahya,HarunShootya,Inan
  • IRC nick: HarunYahya
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 02:40:29 am »
+3
this is impossible to do with 5 athl. You will get kicked all the time,and you will be everyones bitch.
you need 12/27 build for that.
I played it last gen and it was pretty damn brutal(Im going for it again this gen)
People kick you so what ?
With this build you gonna have
7 PS
7 IF
5 ATH
5 WM

if they managed to kick/slash you you lose a portion of your health but if you managed to land your left swing , you kill them in max 3 hits no matter what they wear.
In battle,strat or siege kicks are not very effective most of the people fail at timing their kick and or even if they kick they fail at hitting due to timing mistake but landing your left swing is the easiest thing to do :)
%0 chance to glance , it goes to head all the time = WIN .

This is my way of playing shielder , since i actively play on strat i have to have a STR based character but for public use 18/18 is just fine aswell.

I disagree people who claim that shielders should be fastmover spammers , i tried that aswell and it's funny how fail that is.

I play my shielder as a pusher , since i have a fucking huge shield i should be the guy who climbs the ladder , rushes to tower , charge the enemy group first !

I heard people giving athletics to shielders because they think it's their duty to chase archers lol
It's horsemen's job not yours !

Some people say you need athletics to getaway from bad situations.
Yeah you do need it unless you have a shield that blocks any attack coming towards you.You can just hold right click and wait for your teammates to arrive.After few hit people will start relentlessly swing their weapons at you and lose concentration thinking you are paniced and since you are a shielder you deal shit damage so they don't even think about possibility of getting hurt by your attack , then ta-da a surprise left-swing might even get you an easy kill while you wait for your teammates.

Some people say you need athletics to switch targets faster and hit them more times by your high wpf.
I disagree again.

Let's think of it.
Your steel pick is your best tincan opener it deals 32p
Surprise ! Great maul deals 43b ,has crush through and its longer

Elite scimitar a high tier mainstream 3 direction 1h deals 31c
Warcleaver a high tiermainstream 3 direction 2h deals 45c and its longer

Nordic champion sword a high tier mainstream 4 direction 1h deals 32c
Danish greatsword a high tier mainstream 4 direction 2hander deals 40c and it's longer

Take those 2 handers if you want to be an agiwhore bunny like jumping spammer because even with low PS , they hit like a truck but when you swing your 31c damage sword with 5 ps...its just a source of entertainment to your enemy.
You are outclassed in damage and reach while your weapons are always faster .
Giving more speed will just cause faster glances to compete with 2handers in terms of damage and being deadly , you need to increase your damage as much as you can to compete this damage .Since  you can't have longer reach than any 2h and you are already faster only thing you need to improve is your damage.

TL;DR 100 bites of a fly can't kill a man but a single bite of lion can .

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 03:43:09 am »
Get a 100+ range 1h and learn the range of the rightswing. Hold it, wiggle it a little and hit all those pesky greatsworders in the face who perpetually underestimate your range. Always aim for faces, with the leftswing you barely have to. Learn the sweetspots of your left and right swings, it can make you hit a lot faster and a lot harder.

The stab is completely different now. At close range, when stabbing at the feet and then aiming up during the animation, it can sort off insta hit. They get hit halfway the animation and it is very tricky to block. Thet stab is completely useless at longer range now though. I do not exactly have a stabbing 1h, NCS, but it will still glance a lot more than you'd think at medium or longer range. It is unpredictable to such an extent that I don't recommend using it apart from at short range.

In general, hold attacks while moving your camera around or even spinning around confuse the shit out of people. I do it with all the types of attacks with reasonable succes. Leftswing feint spam works very well too, or blatant left swing spam. Leftswing/overhead feintspam works well too. I at least noticed myself mistaking a leftswing for an overhead occasionally.

Chambering is very useful as a 1h, especially with the stab, overhead and leftswing. These attacks are so fast that even veteran players will have trouble blocking these chambers. Especially against greatsworders who like to stab a lot chambering is useful. If you chamber the stab with either an overhead or stab it will mostly be impossible to block the chamber for the greatsworder due to stabblockstun.

Last but not least, watch for kicks.

Offline bukva2

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 02:08:52 pm »
Im currently trying a 1handed  char for the first time, no shield.

Right now i have:
STR 12
AGI 15
PS    4
IF     4
ATH  5
WM  5

Should i add more str? or is 12 enough? o.O

Offline CaveSquirrel

• Count
  • Renown: 199
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ayween_the_Quail
  • IRC nick: CaveSquirrel
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 02:20:55 pm »
Go 18/18 , 15/21 or 21/15 at Level 30 with your build. 12 is not that much.

Offline bukva2

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 03:01:18 pm »
ill try the 15/21 then thx. I wanna go fast. :)

Offline Mlekce

• Earl
  • Renown: 454
  • Infamy: 367
  • cRPG Player
  • Remove kebab
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard, ex Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Mlekce, Sergius
  • IRC nick: Mlekce
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 03:10:19 pm »
+3
go 21/15 or 24/15 like a pro. Get heavy armor and turtle untill someone makes mistake and then smash it in face with hammer or mw sword.