• Renown: 82
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Crazyi_KUTT, Crazyeye_KUTT, CrayCray
Lancer
« on: August 01, 2012, 07:13:21 pm »
+1
Alright I have a fair amount of lancer experience. I came back in the last week to find that they have nerfed them severely. I understand the turn speed nerf across the board but it highly effects lancing from higher speed horses. The main problem I have with this is it seems to highly effect the registry of the hitbox on the weapon. I have MANY occasions where my lance goes straight through the person and doesn't hit them. I'm not saying they hit me first and my spear just looked like it hit them, it just  flat out ghosts through them with no contact interrupting my swing. Coupled now with having to run directly at a target to lance them, it is extremely frustrating taking the risk and not getting a reward.

The second nerf was the arc that you are allowed to point the spear in. This nerf I don't understand what so ever. The arc went from 180 to what, 60 degrees? If some one gets on my side I cannot touch them. It makes no sense that I cant thrust my spear left or right. HA and HX can abuse the hell out of the swing arc and you can never touch them while they turn just run in circles around you. Fighting people on the ground, anyone halfway decent with a 2h/pole can now thrust attack and beat you every single time. I am hybrid 1h/shield and even on foot I can own lancers by jumping sideways and swinging. They can't adjust the spear after release and they cant hit anything besides what is directly in front of them. I really really really don't understand this one. This also allows throwers to never miss and kill your horse in 1 shot because you have to run straight at them, you cant swing sideways and be turning.

Was the turn speed not enough?

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
Re: Lancer
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 08:13:54 pm »
+1
The second (lance radius nerf) happened long before the first (every weapon's thrust/overhead is "released" if you turn more than like 70 degrees). 

I've gotten used to the lance radius nerf.  And although I think there some be some limitation to the arc you can thrust your lance while riding, it is way too much.  You should be able to hit to either side of your horse.  The speed bonus should be less if you're moving forward.  Also, the old lance radius was closer to 270 degrees, than 180.  You used to be able to swing towards your horse's hind legs before.

I think you should be able to hit to the sides in the normal grip of the lance.  And you should be able to change your grip from under, to over the lance to stab down from your horse (to hit people in front, or directly behind your horse), changing the grip would allow you to turn around in your horse and basically stab at anything on the ground. 

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 08:22:30 pm »
Crazyi you have no idea what you are even talking about with the lance radius.

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 338
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Sky belongs to Asagods as long as the raven flies.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Son_Of_Odin
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 08:26:53 pm »
+1
Someone had a long break I reckon...

There is no sight in my third eye

Offline Crazyi

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 09:13:14 pm »
Crazyi you have no idea what you are even talking about with the lance radius.
Would you care to elaborate? You can turn 30 degrees left from center, and 30 degrees right from center. In all other versions of Mount and Blade its AT LEAST 90 degrees left/right from center.

I stopped in April. There was one radius reduction while I was playing but it didn't limit it that much. This one you cant hit anything outside of your front arc and it happened since I was gone.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 09:17:40 pm by Crazyi »

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 09:18:54 pm »
Would you care to elaborate? You can turn 30 degrees left from center, and 30 degrees right from center. In all other versions of Mount and Blade its AT LEAST 90 degrees left/right from center.

My break was only a few months. There was one radius reduction when I was playing but it didn't limit it that much. This one you cant hit anything outside of your front arc and it had to of happened in the last 3-4 months.

The only lance radius change that occured happened over a year ago.

Offline Crazyi

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 09:37:31 pm »
I am almost positive this has changed since I played last. Either way my point is still the same, the two together is a bit much, and the fact that I cant thrust attack my sides makes no sense.

Offline kono yaro!

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 127
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: b0nk
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 04:44:09 am »
yeah
buff cav

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 04:45:58 am »
yeah
buff cav
Let this be the one and only time I +1 you :D.
(click to show/hide)

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 10:30:58 am »
+1
I see plenty of lance noobs killing loads of peasants. The only issue with lances is that they are inferior in every way to 1h/2h (who am I kidding 2h lol) cav aka the Master Race.
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Crazyi

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 08:11:18 pm »
If you are half way decent then yes, you can out-range a lancer if you see/hear he is coming. I can do it 90% of the time with a 1h jump side swing, every time with a 2h thrust, and polearm is pretty obvious or you fail. Throwers kill my +3 in 1 hit when I run at them, and horses are the easiest archer/xbow shot in the game. I'm sorry it requires that you use your ears.

I, once upon a time, could engage people head on with a lance. I did it because I felt it took more skill than just plowing people in the rear like what is the only option now. People complain it is requires no skill, but the only viable option is to stab the people not looking. People also complain about horse bumping being too strong, yet the only option is to run straight at a target and bump them while stabbing. Bumping is also a double edged sword because you can run teammates over just as easily but people only remember being killed by it, not getting kills from it.

I agree cav has the greatest potential for KDR because they are forced to stab those that aren't paying attention, and that is typically a lot of people. Do this long enough you learn how to pick the targets better, and also who is almost always going to beat you. There are some players you just don't bother lancing(aka the ones that pay attention). While it is easy to kill those not looking, it takes 1 person who is paying attention to kill the rider or their horse in 1 shot.

I went infantry anyways so I don't really care what happens, but I think its down right stupid the lance can be thrust to the sides.

Offline Tore

• Item Manager
  • Renown: 882
  • Infamy: 329
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 08:32:55 pm »
lancer master race

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 08:49:36 pm »
lancer master race

More like lancer: a race to the enemies spawn.

Offline Crazyi

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2012, 09:32:48 pm »
Oh BTW I have a screenshot from March 24 2012 @ 7:58 pm, of me in cRPG turning sideways on my horse with a lance pulled back. So the yes the arc has been changed again sometime within the last 4 months. I was looking at my screen shots to post in the Cool Death Pics thread and found it. Maybe it has been a real long time since you guys tried lancing.... 

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2012, 03:19:32 am »
+4