Author Topic: Pew! Pew! Pew!  (Read 16742 times)

Offline Brutal

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 24
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Pecores_Brutal_le chacal Cold_stone Bazooka
Re: Pew! Pew! Pew!
« Reply #135 on: April 17, 2011, 11:28:04 pm »
Roof campers just lack the software to handle cavs and also refuse to deal with it by taking the easy way out.

The thing with archery is that it take a long time to draw your arrow, so if you actually want to shoot once in a while there will be 3-4 second were you will be in tunnel vision mode no matter how good your awareness is. Even if you spot a horse after that you have to draw your weapon out before you can block down that also take time. Add people with 7-11 riding skill and champion sarranid/desert/courser horse and it's really a nightmare being an archer. I guess that's why some people are asking for being able to block with bow, it would help a lot.

I've recently started an archer alt and really it's the hardest class i have tried yet. Even with 8PD i will often land 5-6 arrow for 0 kill an get backstabed by a horsie that i saw coming but too late.

Offline Garem

• Count
  • Renown: 268
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • The Black Company forums
  • Faction: The Black Company
  • Game nicks: Garem_BlackCompany
« Reply #136 on: April 18, 2011, 09:16:43 am »
The thing with archery is that it take a long time to draw your arrow, so if you actually want to shoot once in a while there will be 3-4 second were you will be in tunnel vision mode no matter how good your awareness is. Even if you spot a horse after that you have to draw your weapon out before you can block down that also take time. Add people with 7-11 riding skill and champion sarranid/desert/courser horse and it's really a nightmare being an archer. I guess that's why some people are asking for being able to block with bow, it would help a lot.

I've recently started an archer alt and really it's the hardest class i have tried yet. Even with 8PD i will often land 5-6 arrow for 0 kill an get backstabed by a horsie that i saw coming but too late.

It seems a lot of folks* in here are noting how hard archery is, as above. While I'm not going to disagree, I would certainly encourage everyone who wants to give it a shot to give it a fair shot. You won't get kills until you get at least PD 5. You won't live through maps until you get at least Ath 4. You won't hit fuck all until you get at least WPF 120. Archery is challenging as hell, but that challenge also yields great satisfaction when you become successful. So to be even a half-decent archer and to get any kills at all requires level 20 or so.

As my fellow Fallens know, I like to compare cRPG melee to Super Mario and cRPG archery to Galaxian. Both are video games, and that's where the similarities end. In one you stomp on heads and avoid getting stomped on, in the other you pew pew pew because, frankly, that's all you can do and dodge EVERYTHING because EVERYTHING will kill you.

Unfortunately, because of how powerful hybrids (Xbows in particular) can be, we're seeing some cRPG Super Marios throwing out pew pew pew as well. I hope, and I trust, that the upcoming patch will deal with that appropriately without likewise being too restrictive as to make hybrids impossible. Diversity is the spice of life.

*Shameless plug: Fallen has been producing some stellar archers and developing awesome techniques, especially under Loki's NA team. Shoot me a PM if you want to practice or play sometime.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 09:32:21 am by Garem »
The Black Company's Strategus Trainer
http://forum.melee.org/faction-halls/black-company-recruiting-na/
Forums: http://nadeathsquad.freeforums.org/
Formerly of the Fallen Brigade, Homeys4Lyfe

Offline Loki

• Count
  • Renown: 228
  • Infamy: 57
  • cRPG Player
  • I don't know karate, but I know crazy.
    • View Profile
    • The Fallen Brigade
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Loki
« Reply #137 on: April 18, 2011, 11:21:48 am »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Since when has mount & blade been about making sure you can get a good melee fight in?  I swear some of you would be perfectly happy if this game was nothing but 2h dueling.  Archery has been nerfed enough as it is, leave the poor bastard alone.

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #138 on: April 20, 2011, 06:08:59 pm »
Bet CT all  :rolleyes:

Loki it aint the archers fault archers are fine

Its the freakin no skill req xbow users and hybrids that blocks out the sun........
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 06:10:10 pm by Tzar »
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Mizzles

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 25, 2011, 11:28:17 am »
I agree with the observation that archers are as it stands alright(ish) or at the least not unplayable and that its the no requirement crossbow and low requirement thrower hybrids that are creating the ranged spam. (Bump)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 11:29:23 am by Mizzles »

Offline LordRichrich

• Count
  • Renown: 297
  • Infamy: 115
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 25, 2011, 01:56:24 pm »
Bah cavalry aren't OP'ed
The sheer fact that you can go faster is a disadvantage in some ways!
I 1 shotted one of the my old friend's, I think it was Assarhadon, while he was on a horse in relatively high end armour, in the LEG with a heavy xbow + normal bolts
If he had been standing still, he woulda lived, but the speed bonus on cav workds both ways.
So no more comments here about how cavalry are OP

As for archers, remove all arrows apart from normal and give them the heirlooms on the other arrows and gold back. Then make each heirloom on arrows give more damage each time. Not as much as bodkins do, but some.

Offline Mizzles

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 26, 2011, 05:39:10 am »
As for archers, remove all arrows apart from normal and give them the heirlooms on the other arrows and gold back. Then make each heirloom on arrows give more damage each time. Not as much as bodkins do, but some.

I completely agree with the cav statement, but that bit about archers is ridiculous, especially considering it's not archers that are causing the ranged problems right now. If anything bump damage up a bit, it takes 4-5 arrows on anyone in mail to put them down, thats alot.

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #142 on: April 26, 2011, 10:35:46 am »
If anything bump damage up a bit, it takes 4-5 arrows on anyone in mail to put them down, thats alot.

You do know that the 4-5 shots are made from across the map right?? i cant swing my 1h sword from that range and kill my enemy with my regular 3 swings.... you have unlimted range melee dont!! we have to get into the fray while u can stand saftely behind your meat shield of team m8s and seige shields roofs ect ect...

im lmao at you tards thinking its ok to have the same dmg as infantry with your legolas bows......

Your trading dmg for range thats the whole point of being archer is that u dont have to get into melee if everyone was able to deal the same dmg as infantry with their bows no1 would play infantry....

« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 10:37:41 am by Tzar »
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Mullerian

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 26, 2011, 02:09:31 pm »
You do know that the 4-5 shots are made from across the map right?? i cant swing my 1h sword from that range and kill my enemy with my regular 3 swings.... you have unlimted range melee dont!! we have to get into the fray while u can stand saftely behind your meat shield of team m8s and seige shields roofs ect ect...

im lmao at you tards thinking its ok to have the same dmg as infantry with your legolas bows......

Your trading dmg for range thats the whole point of being archer is that u dont have to get into melee if everyone was able to deal the same dmg as infantry with their bows no1 would play infantry....

Have you ever played an archer? Most shots made from across the map loose most of their damage because of the shot speed nerf they made a while back.

Offline Ginosaji

• Baron
  • Renown: 81
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Kukurutz, Whale_of_pure_Harmony, Topfentascherl, TRAFFIC_LIGHT
« Reply #144 on: April 26, 2011, 02:35:35 pm »
I'd leave everythink as it is, I really don't care being shot (well, it's a game, everybody wants to kill someone) but make roofs and ladders greasy when it rains or on snow maps so they slip down :D

Won't be easy to implement, I guess, but the result would be awesome ^^

Offline bosco

• Count
  • Renown: 258
  • Infamy: 25
  • cRPG Player
  • Steady...
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 26, 2011, 02:56:28 pm »
Artist's rendition :P

Offline v/onMega

• Count
  • Renown: 234
  • Infamy: 67
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_vMega
« Reply #146 on: April 26, 2011, 02:58:02 pm »
The changes made with the last patch were a huge step forward.

Archery surely isnt a 100% honorable thing, though I can totally admit that archers now have to work for their kills.
I like that.

Archers with good k/d surely earn respect!

As some ppl correctly posted before:

Its not archery causing the feeling that there is "somehow too many missiles airborne"
and
It is not archery causing the feeling that "uhh one hit, wheres my hp?".

It is simply due to the xbow overload.

1h got competetive, 2 h still are (depends on the user ofc), polearms still are (depends on the user ofc), archers arent easy anymore but i can see more and more good players,

But xbow hybrids are simply idiotic, atleast with the currently possible loadout.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #147 on: April 26, 2011, 02:58:12 pm »
Artist's rendition :P

:lol:

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #148 on: April 26, 2011, 06:51:09 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Methinks you haven't actually played an archer.  If someone is wearing pretty much any armor mail and up it will take like 6-10 arrows from range.  If you have 2 slots of heir-loomed bodkin arrows I think that's 36 arrows (plus the occasional scavenged one).  It's also way harder to hit people from range unless they run in a straight line.  An average archer will probably blow half their arrows on one player trying to take them down if they are wearing armor and are at range.

Even in medium/close range plate armor is a pain for any archer.  I remember shooting a tin can literally 8 times at a fairly close distance with my PD6 Kherit bow AND hitting once with a bec and him still not going down.

I don't think that archery is underpowered though, but it's way harder than you might think to be a successful archer right now.  Can't comment on throwing or xbows really though.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Bongo Fury

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 26, 2011, 10:55:09 pm »
The changes made with the last patch were a huge step forward.

Archery surely isnt a 100% honorable thing, though I can totally admit that archers now have to work for their kills.
I like that.

Archers with good k/d surely earn respect!

As some ppl correctly posted before:

Its not archery causing the feeling that there is "somehow too many missiles airborne"
and
It is not archery causing the feeling that "uhh one hit, wheres my hp?".

It is simply due to the xbow overload.

1h got competetive, 2 h still are (depends on the user ofc), polearms still are (depends on the user ofc), archers arent easy anymore but i can see more and more good players,

But xbow hybrids are simply idiotic, atleast with the currently possible loadout.

+1

The amount of Crossbow's used by non-dedicated builds is ridiculous.