Author Topic: Horse-free server  (Read 2131 times)

Offline Riddaren

• Duke
  • Renown: 601
  • Infamy: 298
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Riddaren, Matthaus
Re: Horse-free server
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2012, 03:36:26 pm »
There is one awesome weapon against Lancers or 1h Cav:
Battle awareness  :arrow: You wont get backstabbed by cav
Battle awareness + any polearm longer than awlpike  :arrow: You actually kill the Ponys

So true.

My favourite weapon though is the Trident.
Short enough not to scare cav away but long enough to outreach the lances.

I've had many nice fights in my own spawn vs several enemy cavalry at once with it, killing horse after horse :D

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2012, 03:43:41 pm »
There is one awesome weapon against Lancers or 1h Cav:
Battle awareness

They use cushioned hooves to counter that.

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2012, 03:45:22 pm »
When you are already in a melee fight, battle awareness doesnt help much - you have to focus on your melee opponents.
And even if you notice the cav behind you, even at 1 mph the horse can knock you down, and you are dead anyway.
Those who learn their lessons camp and hide on hills/ trees and buildings, what is really really boring (imo).
On some maps infantry is just there to feed cavalry. And I say that from the point of view as a part-time cavalry player.

It is normal that you die if you are charged by several opponents. The more ppl the higher chances they win. And if a horse charges from behind (while you are busy fighting), its normal to die.
Not sure why you would complain about that.
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline Michael

• Don't take me seriously
  • Baron
  • Renown: 118
  • Infamy: 559
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2012, 05:08:12 pm »
I agree that EU_5 is incredible fun to play, but I am not convinced thats because of no horses.

With greatsword you can turn around and stab the horse or jump-stab the rider which leads to a nice extra kill.

With shield, well, you can block with your shield, horse knocks you down and your infantry opponent will slash you, and you are dead.

So how about level 20 STF chars instead?

That would defeat the servers purpose.
When you are just creating a new char, you should not have to die by some lamers who need a level 20 char to kill a beginner.

Imho there should be an additional level21 to level29 server.

It is normal that you die if you are charged by several opponents. The more ppl the higher chances they win. And if a horse charges from behind (while you are busy fighting), its normal to die.
Not sure why you would complain about that.

It forces me to stay away from the main battle that takes place in the open field.
In other words: I have to wait on 'safe' places. If possible, I kill some enemies that I find at those places. Sure. But when my teammates are incompetent (what crpg folks usually is) at the end of the round I have to fight a 5 (me and on a good day 4 others that understand battle) versus 37 what is pretty hard because I dont have a level 35 char.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 05:14:44 pm by Michael »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Bryggan

• Marshall
  • Renown: 727
  • Infamy: 207
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: 13 Knights, HCE
  • Game nicks: Jerk, Asshole, Dumbass, etc.
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2012, 05:34:21 pm »
There's always inf support/anti-cav in pretty much every game.  I'm a shielder/thrower, and cav avoids me like the plague, so I usually hang out at the back with some pikemen/archers and try deal with any flanking cav, therefore protecting your backs.  This works wonderfully until the front melee charges too far ahead (it slows you down keeping cav at bay), and the cav just goes around us and kills everyone in front with their lances and we all get killed by the pure melee builds.

So calm down and slow down.  Some people seem eager to throw themselves into the enemy; let them.  Both sides always have guys who don't learn, so it should keep it even.  But if you slow down you'll still have just as much fighting to do as if you rushed in, but you won't get a lance up the ass.

That being said, I wish we had an under 20 server in NA.  It would be nice to fight some non-uber builds.  How about an 'under 5th generation' server?  Loom points and skill levels would be a little more equal then.

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2012, 05:35:01 pm »
+2
Lancer charges -> inf ready to stab -> lancer steers the horse to his left as much as possible without slowing down and thrusts to his utmost right -> lancer outreaches any kind of weapon.

Maybe a year ago when lancers could stab 90 degrees...

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2012, 05:50:32 pm »
+1
It's funny people say these types of things, but the only time you have teamwork from infantry is on open plains and steppe maps.  Cavalry were part of medieval warfare.  The problem is that you think you should be able to run around by yourself and not have to worry about putting yourself in the wrong situation.  The problem is the way you are playing, not the way cavalry is playing.   You should be running around in groups of teammates and trying to overwhelm the enemy.  When infantry lines clash, then ideally your own cavalry would be flanking and attacking the enemies rear.  Bring a lance type weapon, or run around in groups, or get some throwing axes, problem solved.  Oh, but you want to play medieval counter-strike and run around and pew pew instead of trying to work as a team, maybe you're in the wrong game?
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2012, 07:46:17 pm »
It's funny people say these types of things, but the only time you have teamwork from infantry is on open plains and steppe maps.  Cavalry were part of medieval warfare.  The problem is that you think you should be able to run around by yourself and not have to worry about putting yourself in the wrong situation.  The problem is the way you are playing, not the way cavalry is playing.   You should be running around in groups of teammates and trying to overwhelm the enemy.  When infantry lines clash, then ideally your own cavalry would be flanking and attacking the enemies rear.  Bring a lance type weapon, or run around in groups, or get some throwing axes, problem solved.  Oh, but you want to play medieval counter-strike and run around and pew pew instead of trying to work as a team, maybe you're in the wrong game?

Now now, forcing teamplay takes the fun away...

edit: Sarcasm, Riddaren
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 05:27:36 pm by Adamar »

Offline Tayzzer

• Knight
  • Renown: 28
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
  • What?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC
  • Game nicks: Zaylo_Unicorns, Zeyro_AoW, Talony_Vanguard_Of_AoW
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2012, 08:48:31 pm »
I agree that the 1-20 sever is a blast even with my NA ping, however I don't think No horses is the answer to everybody's problems. I think I have 5 gens of cav atm and my clan has a lot of cav but we cant roll a server 100% of the time.

To simplify things think of the game as having at its core 3 general roles - Infantry, Ranged, and Cavalry any large over population of the three will destroy destroy not because of any Op'ness but because there isn't enough of the counter role to balance them. If you dont take the analogy too far its a bit like rock, paper, scissors ( okay so its a really thin comparison, because of the large variety of builds and I don't remember the rock ever being able to take out a pair of scissors, and the games closer to rock, paper, scissors, lizard, spock but bare with me its just an opinion) Cavalry will avoid a archers nest like the plague the same way most infantry with good reason should avoid cav. The long sword or 1h axe, etc is not a swiss army knife that can do everything nor should it be. 

I'm going back to archery for a few gens and I already want Agi builds to go roll around in rusty nails but I see that a " 4 maximum athletics sever" would be crazy pants.

Hmmm this was a really round about way to say use teamwork and know your role. or join siege which has everything you asked for except it will still have 30+ builds

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2012, 09:03:50 pm »
+3
I hate everyone who complains about classes, wishes there were less of them, calls to nerf them, or suggests they be changed to make their life easier.

The End.

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 338
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Sky belongs to Asagods as long as the raven flies.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Son_Of_Odin
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2012, 09:08:27 pm »
+2
Take only cavalry out from the game => enjoy your ranged, infantry :rolleyes:

There is no sight in my third eye

Offline Chris_P_Bacon

• Count
  • Renown: 195
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • I'm a pig.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Ser_Chris_P_Bacon_Astralis, an_angry_piglet, A_Canadian_Seal_Clubber_Eh
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2012, 09:44:13 pm »
+3
I request a horse only server. If you get dismounted instant 3 hour ban.

Offline Paniolo808

• Knight
  • Renown: 48
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
  • Bumpin
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Nakoa
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2012, 02:01:49 am »
+3
I know, I don't speak for everyone, but what got me into Mount & Blade was the mount aspect of it. When a friend first explained it to me, he described it as Morrowind with less RPG/story and more horsey and good combat.
Mount & Blade. They ain't talking about mountains, brah.

Seriously, I think trying to play Mount & Blade and complaining about the horses is like going to a shooter and complaining about people using guns versus knife-stabby. It'd be like going to Jedi Academy and complaining about people using light sabers.
"We can say that Maud'Dib learned rapidly because his first training was in how to learn. And the first lesson of all was the basic trust that he could learn."

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2012, 12:32:45 am »
With greatsword you can turn around and stab the horse or jump-stab the rider which leads to a nice extra kill.

With shield, well, you can block with your shield, horse knocks you down and your infantry opponent will slash you, and you are dead.
Still has nothing to do with having fun on EU5 IMO.
That would defeat the servers purpose.
When you are just creating a new char, you should not have to die by some lamers who need a level 20 char to kill a beginner.
My point is that it would be fun if you made it possible to play this game with low level/low gear on a regular and permanent basis. I am not sure, perhaps a low gear only server would be enough and equally fun.

Offline Babelfish

• Knight
  • Renown: 62
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2012, 03:05:36 am »
My point is that it would be fun if you made it possible to play this game with low level/low gear on a regular and permanent basis. I am not sure, perhaps a low gear only server would be enough and equally fun.
You mean like native?  :rolleyes: