Author Topic: can someone explain this crap to me...  (Read 3683 times)

Offline Uumdi

• Duke
  • Renown: 651
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Ready to Die
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Uumdi_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: Uumdi
Re: can someone explain this crap to me...
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2012, 12:10:42 pm »
+1
If you ever want to hit up duel server I'll show you a few tricks - and anybody else in there as well.  You'll get the hang of it with practice.  Its hard to articulate what you need to do with footwork and positioning, but which direction you choose to attack with is definitely important, and left swing will be your quickest attack. 

If you're too focused on the act of attacking alone, you're losing track of them side stepping you, so you gotta refocus your camera when you get a chance to focus on or near the target.  You'll find with practice that you actually have a great deal of time while people are planning their attack strategies in a duel. 

One thing to look for - They'll attack first - you block - then you get a swing ready, they'll either:

1) Get a block ready.  If they get a block ready, hold your swing - you have the upper hand and do not need to swing immediately.  Hold it for a second or two.  You then have a chance to get a good position and wait for a weak spot in their defense.  If they only tapped their block, or blocked the wrong direction, then you release and get a free hit on them, not to mention there's a damage bonus for a held swing as opposed to a quick lash.  If they held their block and successfully defended themselves, then neither of you are hurt, and you start over.

2) They might immediately go for a second swing.  Its possible to outswing them if your timing was perfect, was a left swing, and you move slightly out of the direction of their swing.  If you aren't confident in your swing though, cancel with a block immediately, and play safe.  All you need to do to survive is hold your shield up in a 1 on 1 situation.  Experiment with shield speeds too, as elite cavalry shields and heavy round shields will play much differently than a heavy board shield or huscarl.

In a heavy melee situation, you'll want to face forward and play safe, but when assisting a teammate or seperated from the pack and can afford to play offensively, your main objective is going to be to get around your enemy.  If they do a right swing and you step left, you're essentially doubling his speed by walking into it - imagine a car in oncoming traffic.  If you step to your right, or with his swing, and you did a left swing, you're negating his weapon speed, and increasing yours.  Overheads and thrusts are tricky, but a 1 hand overhead is the biggest damage output and is still really quick, but harder to aim.  Right swings are your best bet for getting the most out of your weapon's reach, especially if you've got a long weapon like an Arabian Cavalry Sword.  When you get better at the game, you'll find yourself fighting near your weapon's max range, but don't focus on that too much yet.

Practice makes perfect - you'll get the hang of the game mechanics just by playing.  Stick with it.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 12:18:15 pm by Uumdi »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Ten shots of prayers, ten shots a day
A shot of thrill to hide the pain.
They can`t win, they just don`t cry,
The troopers know they live to die.

Offline Tovi

• Earl
  • Renown: 387
  • Infamy: 251
    • View Profile
  • Faction: OdE
  • Game nicks: KrisTovi
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2012, 12:30:02 pm »
What means "to chamber" ?  :rolleyes:

Offline Uumdi

• Duke
  • Renown: 651
  • Infamy: 59
  • Ready to Die
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Uumdi_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: Uumdi
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2012, 12:40:39 pm »
What means "to chamber" ?  :rolleyes:

You use your attack animation to actually block their attack, and immediately swing afterwards.

Say you see somebody start an overhead swing - when they pull back their weapon and begin to swing, you would then do an overhead as well.  The upward motion of your character starting the swing will block their attack.  They call it a chamber, because pulling back your weapon to prepare for a swing is to "chamber your swing", or prepare for attack.

You can then follow through with an immediate attack that is very difficult to block, or with a fast enough weapon and the right timing, near impossible to block.

Practice with a friend to see how it works.  You can chamber:

Thrust - with a Thrust or an Overhead
Overhead - with an Overhead
Rightswing (coming from your left) - with a right swing.
Leftswing (coming from your right) - with a left swing.

On the side chambers, whatever side their weapon is, you want your weapon on that side too.

Ten shots of prayers, ten shots a day
A shot of thrill to hide the pain.
They can`t win, they just don`t cry,
The troopers know they live to die.

Offline Tovi

• Earl
  • Renown: 387
  • Infamy: 251
    • View Profile
  • Faction: OdE
  • Game nicks: KrisTovi
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2012, 12:53:06 pm »
+1
A succesfull chamber produce the  "clong" sound ?

Offline Ace3889

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2012, 06:13:09 pm »
You owe me 20k for this tutorial. ;)

1. as shielder you are not soppust to be offensive player
2. longer the weapon,the faster it is. if you see glaive for example it have 90 speed,but it have very big reach so if player go backwards he will always outspam you,and he will always be faster then you.
3. moust of 2h have 18/21 or 21/18 builds,so they have 6-7 or more athletics,so they move faster then you. You have shield that slows you down a lot.
4. shield speed plays big part in fighting,and weight of your gear. So you need to get any of knightly shields that have 100 or over speed,and use some lighter armors.
5. always be close to team,alone you are easy pray. You are support class,not some 2h hero/rambo.
6. pick longer weapons,or pick some of the picks (steel,military),but i would say knightly arming sword and nordic champ is only swords you need to use because they have pretty big reach.
7.avoid big clusterfucks because you have small reach and everyone will tw you a lot.
8. moust of 2h are spamming sluts so if you see that he is faster,turtle and move back to teammates.
9. moust of 2h will use kick,so don't go straight at them,be little in side to avoid that.
10. know where to move,and when to attack. don't follow ppl in fight with mob if you don't know who they are,becasue moust of ppl run away and let you die.
11. don't attack alone ppl with big polearms or with axes,or you are dead because they will smash ur shield and backpedal or spam you to death.

When you say 18/21 and 21/18 do you mean speed and agility
Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2012, 06:23:27 pm »
strength/agility

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2012, 11:14:33 pm »
A succesfull chamber produce the  "clong" sound ?

Yep.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2012, 09:38:08 am »
I remember feeling like this as well.

Here's the rub...

The shield slows you down a little and it is easy to read. If people are spamming you need to break it up with foot work. It's like any kind of hand to hand fighting you need to get the rhythm right, you need to find your opponents and break it.

Forget the weapons speed unless it's a maul it may as well say wizzlewozzel because in the hands of some one that understands it, it will be fast enough.

Once you go past the beginners curve (which no offense, we've all been there, you are on right now) sword and board becomes quiet exceptional.

First lesson is don't go head to head with people, attack on funny angles. Take on 2 people at once. It's not so great to duel with sword and board that's why you often see sword and board old hands throw the shield on their backs and go at with just the 1h when they get in a 1 v 1 situation. Shields help you battle groups because you can use the group against itself. That's where the shielder is strongest. An expert shielder can easily dispatch half a dozen players in a group by themselves without breaking a sweat.

There is a lot of great advice above this post, take it all in.

Here is a guide I read many moons ago. Not bad at all.
http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,8020.0.html

One last tip. The left side of your opponent is his/her weak side. Exploit the fuck out of it. Get as close as possible and circle around them on that left side as fast as you can using left slashes to strike them, this alone will boost your KD.
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline BashirKhan

• Knight
  • Renown: 37
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2012, 09:12:30 am »
oh yeah i remember you, dude you were using 2 sheilds that increases your gear weight a lot, makes you atrociously slow no matter wpf or weapon speed.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2012, 03:16:09 pm »
oh yeah i remember you, dude you were using 2 sheilds that increases your gear weight a lot, makes you atrociously slow no matter wpf or weapon speed.
Only slows down your movement speed.

Equipment (shields, weapons, arrows, bolts and throwing) only slows your movement.
Armour (head, body, hands and legs) slows your movement and reduces your wpf.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Lannistark

• Duke
  • Renown: 586
  • Infamy: 118
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Duke
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2012, 03:49:44 pm »

Offline Skyline

• Knight
  • Renown: 64
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • My youtube
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Skyline
  • IRC nick: Skyline
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2012, 08:46:44 pm »
Not sure how long you been playing but.... our little group has been on here 10 days or so. We had the same issues as to not understanding what was going on with people being able to out swing everything we tried. 2 things i can tell you..... 1) dont base your observations on and unfinished toon. We found out that as we got closer in lvl and skills it was abit easier. 2) Go to the duel servers ALOT, there are plenty of people that have helped us learn how to do things different and it helped alot. The more you duel and learn to block and move the easier it will get. Lots of nice folks on here that are willing to help out. (Thanks again to those that have already helped us out so much)
Common sense is not so common.

"Anyways, there is no TK in this screenshot.  Only one guy killing another"  - Smoothrich

Offline Lannistark

• Duke
  • Renown: 586
  • Infamy: 118
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Duke
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2012, 01:34:40 am »
+2
Donate, and you'll notice a distinct improvement in your ability.