Author Topic: What was the reasoning behind the peasant start?  (Read 4223 times)

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
Re: What was the reasoning behind the peasant start?
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2012, 05:22:57 pm »
+3
just another reason to bring back ladders on siege, so peasants can contribute without having to get kills.  I used to be the bomb siege master ladder thrower and would be the difference my team needed to win

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2012, 05:44:56 pm »
+3
Why isn't this serf tending fields? Haha. I don't know man, it might seem pretty rough, but trust me, it was much rougher for new players back in the day. Weeks of playing time as a useless peasant where the only purpose you serve is to distract or block an opponent who could kill you with less than one swipe of their blade before you got your first longsword only to realize that you're still pretty useless compared to the monsters out there.

I'd say that the game as it is now is much friendlier to peasants than any stage in its past; once you get up to 3 Powerstrike you're able to be at least moderately effective if you have a past history with the game and understand the mechanics. If you just started playing Warband, and you came straight to cRPG, then yeah, it's going to be even more frustrating.  I've always felt that the key to usefulness in the peasant stage is really just simple misdirection; many people are so hungry for kills that they'll throw caution to the wind just to chase what appears to be a defenseless peasant, which often opens them up to attack from behind. Level brings no impediment towards the ability to block attacks, thankfully.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline gazda

• Earl
  • Renown: 483
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • Its almost harvesting season.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Saracens
  • Game nicks: Gazda_the_Swine
  • IRC nick: gazda
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2012, 06:09:09 pm »
+1
that doesnt happen to you only, wtf, ofcurse your useless on low levels, even on higher levels youll feel inferior to other. It happens to everyone each time they start a new gen. When you feel frustradet just stop playing and thats it.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline callahan9119

• Baron
  • Renown: 106
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Callahan9119
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2012, 07:38:38 pm »
+2
Get nekkid, grab some bear claw shoes and a staff and go have fun. You level so fast in the beginning it's not even worth worrying about.
Hello

Offline Riddaren

• Duke
  • Renown: 601
  • Infamy: 298
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Riddaren, Matthaus
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2012, 08:51:25 pm »
+2
You can still be effective at low levels (and with cheap equipment).
I especially recommend simple clothing and a trident/pitchfork. You barely pay any upkeep, yet you can own the high upkeep and high level horsemen by acting bait in the open.
Just wait for them and then just kill their horses. It takes some skill though.
But it's really enjoyable when successful :)

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 506
  • Infamy: 1515
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2012, 09:12:19 pm »
+1
If it bothers you so much to be a peasant for few hours and getting killed for few weeks until you start to be somwhat effective I think it's best to stop playing.

This is friendly advice, you'll need thick skin and laid back attitude to "survive" in this community.

After all this is just a mod, similar game will come out in few months and will be probably more noob friendly than cRPG.

Offline dreamer2008

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2012, 09:41:23 pm »
+3
Well, I played a little in the 20 max level and I feel a lot better there. At least its not that huge unbalance between peasant and the lvl 30 dudes. Stones vs Bows is very inappropriate.  Or club vs Great Sword, again, not so comfy. Or no armor vs full armor, well, you get the idea. I managed to reach lvl 10 so all is going well now.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1556
  • Infamy: 1293
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2012, 09:50:40 pm »
+3
There are two ways:

1) Leveling lancer cavalry, archer, xbowmen or thrower. You'll need some time to get hang of it but after that you'll be moderaly to very succesful. Lancer cav is the best because you can one hit kill people just by pressing X.
2) Melee (polearms, greatswords, crushtrugh or hardest, shielder with one handers), which is harder than above and takes some time to get used to.

Also, siege is way easier to play because people who care about winning on siege don't hunt kills and those who are there to kill something aren't much better than you at this game.

Offline Mlekce

• Earl
  • Renown: 454
  • Infamy: 367
  • cRPG Player
  • Remove kebab
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard, ex Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Mlekce, Sergius
  • IRC nick: Mlekce
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2012, 10:02:52 pm »
+1
Well, that's kinda your fault for leveling that way. You only need 9 str and a mace to start getting a good amount of kills as a shielder. After doing a million gens as a shielder, I've always found it's better to level up evenly, starting with agi first. Athletics is the most important stat for a shielder.

I tried every time to lvl first agi,and it was pure fail.
Hits were glancing,dmg was low,i didn't want to even play. But if i get 21 str under lvl 15 i can still play dtv and top the scoreboard.
I can maybie play siedge,or steal kills in battle.  :twisted:

Offline Muunilinst

• Count
  • Renown: 261
  • Infamy: 120
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Krems
  • Game nicks: Renovatio
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2012, 10:03:33 pm »
+1
i dont know he has right somehow,

but for as i started long time ago, it was soo fun i was soo happy when i got my first nice looking armor set.
it was incredibly fun to gain all those new stuff and the possibilitty to  create your own char from start.

first ure nothing later u can be a great warrior ;D

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2012, 10:42:09 pm »
+1
Well, I played a little in the 20 max level and I feel a lot better there. At least its not that huge unbalance between peasant and the lvl 30 dudes. Stones vs Bows is very inappropriate.  Or club vs Great Sword, again, not so comfy. Or no armor vs full armor, well, you get the idea. I managed to reach lvl 10 so all is going well now.
Dreamer, as a level 1 on the level 20 server you're at a massive disadvantage to level 20's, but, if you use a cudgel, you can still fight most guys without glancing, it's just hard, but, once you're level 5 you'll have enough ps to play reliably if you go pure melee and is good, once you're level 12 you're at the level were if you're good you can get kills on high levels in 1 on 1, that's how it goes, and trust me, the first gen, for me, where I was playing on a ping spiking so hard blocking was impossible, was hell, second gen, low level was slightly more playable since getting my internet fixed at the end of first gen I had gotten somewhat decent, 3rd gen, I spent low level spamming chat  :mrgreen: , still gen 3, but on all my many alts I've each time been able to enjoy low level more and more, in the end, it becomes extremely fun to play as a low level peasant on a sumpter with 1pd and a shortbow.
And trust me, main issue is not your gear, it's your skill, most guys here got thousands of hours in cRPG, and the first few dozen hours you're bound to get your ass kicked, you'll learn melee a lot faster though if you train with someone giving you advice in duel at least once a week, heck, a complete noob can become a decent shielder in only one hour of training footwork and timing, learning manual blocking will however take a bit more time, but trust me, cRPG is one of if not Warbands best mod, and learning melee is definitely worth it, message me on the forums if you ever feel like training and you're an EU player (if you're NA I'd still do it, but due to my lag on an NA server you'd learn slower and you should ask if any NAs are willing to train you instead), I'll log on and play if I'm available.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Joseph Porta

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 234
  • cRPG Player
  • (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻. take all my upvotes! Part-time retard
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild Enthousiast,
  • Game nicks: Wy can't I upvote my own posts, Im a fucken genius, yo.
  • IRC nick: Joseph_Porta
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2012, 10:42:40 pm »
+2
Blood sweat and tears, thats how you learn warband, my first month was good fun. I always had atleast double as much deaths, if not triple, as I had kills but then again I played warband for 4 days after that I barely touched it because c-rpg is a billion times more fun with all the different armors etc, now I only play native for deathmatch.. I would recommend the native training grounds and arena for blocking, i practicly was constantly blocking for a week just to imprint the animations in my memory.

Lvl 21 isn't too bad, usually around 4 hours of playing..
I loot corpses of their golden teeth.
But he'll be around somewhere between Heaven and The Devil, because neither of them will take him in, and he'll be farting loudly and singing a filthy song.

i'll be there at around
chadztime™

Offline Rantrex

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
  • The only one person who is not cheating in crpg:
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2012, 11:41:46 pm »
Try out 2h, or maybe polearm first (pretty easy on the beggining in compare to shieldman or archer).
:
Just on 11th you can hit almost everyone and deal damage/stun(except of 60+ armours)  with build like

Level 11

Strength: 12
Agility: 6

Skills to attributes: 4

Power Strike: 4
Athletics: 2
Weapon Master: 2

Two Handed / Polearm: 94

when choosing Two handed sword or Long spear as weapon.

Since lvl 21 you're turning into quick killing machine (for low lvl) with something like:

Level 21

Strength: 12
Agility: 18

Skills to attributes: 8

Power Strike: 4
Athletics: 5
Weapon Master: 5

Two Handed / Polearm: 126

It's not so hard to kill someone with this, and it allows to avoid some archers arrows.
Stop cheating.

Offline callahan9119

• Baron
  • Renown: 106
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Callahan9119
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2012, 11:45:04 pm »
One important thing to do (advice I failed to listen to) is go to the duel server once you have a decent build somewhat fleshed out. Practice for an hour or so every other day. I never did that so I couldn't play anything but a shielder for months. Anything else or if my shield broke I was just dead but still walking.

Now I'm practicing more and can actually block a few attacks.

Try out 2h, or maybe polearm first (pretty easy on the beggining in compare to shieldman...).

I disagree, you might get a few more lucky kills, but if you can't manual block you will become very frustrated, very fast. Shielding is easier, but isn't as kill happy.
Hello

Offline Joseph Porta

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 234
  • cRPG Player
  • (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻. take all my upvotes! Part-time retard
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild Enthousiast,
  • Game nicks: Wy can't I upvote my own posts, Im a fucken genius, yo.
  • IRC nick: Joseph_Porta
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2012, 12:06:40 am »
I disagree, you might get a few more lucky kills, but if you can't manual block you will become very frustrated, very fast. Shielding is easier, but isn't as kill happy.

When you join warband I would say learn manual blocking asap, otherwise all you will do is delay it forever, it's one of the key things to learn and with a shielder it's just that you will turtle untill your shield breaks and get instantly killed as soon as it breaks.
I'd say go 1h/xbow, with the secondary xbow itS still alot of fun, no matter if your a bad blocker! :)
I loot corpses of their golden teeth.
But he'll be around somewhere between Heaven and The Devil, because neither of them will take him in, and he'll be farting loudly and singing a filthy song.

i'll be there at around
chadztime™