Author Topic: Archery?  (Read 5154 times)

Offline Spurdospera

• Earl
  • Renown: 315
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Spurdo...
  • IRC nick: Spurdo
Re: Archery?
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2011, 02:27:09 pm »
Damage pre-patch was like 24pierce for strongbow and 27pierce for warbow. With only PD6 tincans died with 2-3 shots. A bit OP it was don´t you think?
Quote from: Mortemer
spurdo is as useless as my hat.

Offline Wulzzz

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2011, 02:34:06 pm »
Prepatch archery was seriously plain shit.
I was like PD 7 archer with 60 body armor and pretty much perfect sniper accuracy.I didn't enjoy it cause it was so obviously OP that it didn't really make fun.

Now archery is nice challenging ..even tho the pd 13 archers are annoying  :rolleyes:

Offline Hirlok

• Duke
  • Renown: 624
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • A friendly archer decorating your ass with arrows
    • View Profile
    • Gab.ai. Freedom of Speech matters.
  • Faction: Always Take The Shot
  • Game nicks: None that you need to know of - except Hirlok the Hermit.
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2011, 02:57:08 pm »
Now archery is nice challenging ..even tho the pd 13 archers are annoying  :rolleyes:
hehe, me just PD 10, totally unannoying  :mrgreen:
But hey - those siege ballistae with PD >10 can't hit shit if you are a bit farther away or are moving/dodging. Just too little accuracy. Of course they can blow you off a ladder from 10 meters - thats what they are made for and only shields will help against that - a little remainder of realism.. :)
Hermit Status report : feeling a little social. Threatening melee my old friends with a comeback. Greasing the string of his old longbow. Carving certain names into the tips of his arrows...

Offline Tennenoth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 818
  • Infamy: 85
  • "Bloody peasant archers!"
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Head)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tenne; Guard_The_Biscuits; Guard_Bugden; Guard_Tennenuff
  • IRC nick: Tennenoth
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2011, 03:00:28 pm »
Archery as I have said time and time again doesn't need any changes other than an increase in arrow speed and for the longbow an increase to 50 speed. As said by people here, that will decrease the number of allies shot since most archers tend to hold off if their allies are moving irratically in melee (and I hate the people who don't because they give us a bad name!) and if they have a higher chance to hit an ally and they don't trust their skills.

I read your first post so please don't go mental at me but it did seem like you wanted to reduce archery.

Archery, I have to say, despite being completely out done these days by crossbowmen and throwers (in accuracy, speed and damage, only the longbow has a range advantage but thats taken away by the poor accuracy!)

So, again I re-posted my thoughts in another thread about the same old stuff...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

BullDog Clan member since 31/08/2010 / Caravan Guild member since 03/08/2010

How to understand what I say.
Always finish your tea and biscuits regardless of how terrible they are

Offline warpoobz

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • BAM!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Societas Draconistrarum
  • Game nicks: Dracul_Warpoobz
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2011, 03:19:51 pm »
As a level 27 first-gen archer, I completely agree with those who believe that archery speed needs to be upped. I'm fairly well-off with a bow, and I'm pumping just about every one of my spare skill points into a conversion for strength so I can get my powerdraw to delicious numbers. I can admit to not making my every shot a headshot, but that doesn't matter when every shot feels like it struck that soft spot on a warhammer-carrying man's skull. My agility is at 15 and I find that's precisely where it should be. I run fast enough to make medium-heavily armoured melee soldiers pant and curse behind me and I have enough weapon proficiency to then later turn those very same melees into porcupines once they turn their backs to me, metaphorical tails between their legs, and go off to search for more carelessly caught archers.

There needs to be no buff to damage. At all. What's the point of upping a weapon's damage when a shot to the head will scramble all but the m... actually, I'm pretty sure it'll scramble all brains, regardless of armor. That and power draw. Wonderful, wonderful power draw. What the bow does need, however, is better arrow speed. For two reasons, one: though any skilled archers can measure distance and trajectory well enough to hit mobile targets, sometimes the targeting calculations take a bit too long to make; two: why are archers playing dodgeball with other archers? Seriously? I shouldn't be able to glance at another archer to see that he's targeting me and have enough time to move away as the fucking arrow is in flight. I should have to duck for cover as soon as I see the other bastard drawing his bow (which I do anyway) and pray to the gods that there isn't another one of his buddies targeting me from that odd angle outside the ramparts.

That's all I have to say. Thank you for listening.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 03:28:47 pm by warpoobz »

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2011, 08:04:07 pm »
As a level 27 first-gen archer, I completely agree with those who believe that archery speed needs to be upped. I'm fairly well-off with a bow, and I'm pumping just about every one of my spare skill points into a conversion for strength so I can get my powerdraw to delicious numbers. I can admit to not making my every shot a headshot, but that doesn't matter when every shot feels like it struck that soft spot on a warhammer-carrying man's skull. My agility is at 15 and I find that's precisely where it should be. I run fast enough to make medium-heavily armoured melee soldiers pant and curse behind me and I have enough weapon proficiency to then later turn those very same melees into porcupines once they turn their backs to me, metaphorical tails between their legs, and go off to search for more carelessly caught archers.

There needs to be no buff to damage. At all. What's the point of upping a weapon's damage when a shot to the head will scramble all but the m... actually, I'm pretty sure it'll scramble all brains, regardless of armor. That and power draw. Wonderful, wonderful power draw. What the bow does need, however, is better arrow speed. For two reasons, one: though any skilled archers can measure distance and trajectory well enough to hit mobile targets, sometimes the targeting calculations take a bit too long to make; two: why are archers playing dodgeball with other archers? Seriously? I shouldn't be able to glance at another archer to see that he's targeting me and have enough time to move away as the fucking arrow is in flight. I should have to duck for cover as soon as I see the other bastard drawing his bow (which I do anyway) and pray to the gods that there isn't another one of his buddies targeting me from that odd angle outside the ramparts.

That's all I have to say. Thank you for listening.

+1, archer duels are really lame at this point.  Literally can stop shooting and just move while watching the arrow in flight to get out of its way.  If you shoot back, same thing.  My biggest peeve post-patch is how between wpf nerf, accuracy nerf, and shoot speed nerf the ability to track targets has mostly disappeared.  If you hold the bow steady in aiming for more than a half-second the reticules starting going wide at an increasingly exponential rate, hell get rid of the reticules, don't really need them, but as it is those wide reticules make your shot go screwy and weird angles from your aimed shot and makes accuracy a joke.  If anyone has ever gone bow hunting, realize just how silly this is especially for dedicated archers converting 14 points just to max out archery skills and crippling melee fighting ability.  It makes it a pew-pew shooting  (draw speed makes it a lame camping class) class where held shots don't make sense, great for people who like the continual shooting of a battle server, but kind of lame when youa re defending acastle and trying to track a moving target.  Can handle all the nerfs just allow archers to hold the shots for more than a second so they can plan a lead shot that now needs to be 3-4 seconds ahead of where the target currently is.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2011, 08:54:05 pm »
+1, archer duels are really lame at this point.  Literally can stop shooting and just move while watching the arrow in flight to get out of its way.  If you shoot back, same thing.  My biggest peeve post-patch is how between wpf nerf, accuracy nerf, and shoot speed nerf the ability to track targets has mostly disappeared.  If you hold the bow steady in aiming for more than a half-second the reticules starting going wide at an increasingly exponential rate, hell get rid of the reticules, don't really need them, but as it is those wide reticules make your shot go screwy and weird angles from your aimed shot and makes accuracy a joke.  If anyone has ever gone bow hunting, realize just how silly this is especially for dedicated archers converting 14 points just to max out archery skills and crippling melee fighting ability.  It makes it a pew-pew shooting  (draw speed makes it a lame camping class) class where held shots don't make sense, great for people who like the continual shooting of a battle server, but kind of lame when youa re defending acastle and trying to track a moving target.  Can handle all the nerfs just allow archers to hold the shots for more than a second so they can plan a lead shot that now needs to be 3-4 seconds ahead of where the target currently is.

Having a high PD helps keep your reticule small for a longer period of time.  I actually like this trade-off: be a 'siege archer' and you have iffy accuracy due to low wpf, but you can 'hold' the shot slightly longer to allow for better tracking.  Be a more traditional archer and you get much better accuracy, but you can only hold it for a short time.

My first stab at archer I went 24 str and 15 agi so I had 8 PD and ~148 or something wpf, which I enjoyed a great deal.  My next gen I'm considering going more agi-heavy and see if I can transition to greater accuracy (hopefully for headshots) at the expense of really needing to plan my shots and movement as early as possible.

So basically I like how there can be two very different types of archers based on skill build that serve different roles in battles, and I don't think that needs to change much.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2011, 12:38:16 am »
I wanted to write a long essay about how archery and all ranged weapons were plain OP because of their... ranged nature, no matter how accurate or damage dealing they are, but'll skip to the most important part, as I lack the time :

NERF RANGED.

Offline warpoobz

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • BAM!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Societas Draconistrarum
  • Game nicks: Dracul_Warpoobz
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2011, 03:57:29 am »
I wanted to write a long essay about how archery and all ranged weapons were plain OP because of their... ranged nature, no matter how accurate or damage dealing they are, but'll skip to the most important part, as I lack the time :

NERF RANGED.

No >:c

Offline Havoco

• Duke
  • Renown: 538
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Hospookfans
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Havoc
  • IRC nick: Havoco
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2011, 04:04:19 am »
I really think archery is balanced at this point. I think the only problems are the other two ranged weapons.
Pock gobblers

Offline Rhade

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: BkS_Rhade
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2011, 01:26:32 am »
Archery is fine.

Throwing is the issue. The fact that they can have 6 throwing lances generally means 5 kills, guaranteed; if they miss, they can simply pick them up. The only way to lose a throwing lance is to kill someone with it. Throwing lances aren't even the only issue: You can jump entirely too fast between melee mode and throwing mode so that you're never vulnerable whatsoever, and you have extreme viability in melee range and unmatched viability medium range plus a shield. It's absolutely absurd.

Also, it's not so much that archers are OP, it's the sheer numbers of archers. I've already typed out a tldr post on it, but basically critical mass, once achieved, is OP. Archery isn't OP, it's the fact that the numbers of archers scale exponentially better than melee ever will due to spacing, proximity requirements and effective range.

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2011, 03:08:42 am »
I don't play as an archer but I find it quite balanced as a melee fighter.  I can dodge it at long range, take significant damage from it at short range, and it seems to deal quite well with horses.  What I have heard from archers about is that it's not balanced within its own class.  E.g. the longbow isn't nearly as worthwhile as it should be, and different kinds of arrows should have different kinds of effects. 

Just tossing these out there because I don't know any better, but how do archers feel about:

1) different kinds of arrows doing different kinds of damage.  E.g. high cut damage arrows for shooting horses/light armour and medium pierce damage arrows for tin cans
2) a longbow that shoots quite far and fairly accurately but is slow to reload (like the sniper xbow?)
3) an alt-attack for some bows to use them as light wooden staffs for blocking

Offline Mullerian

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2011, 11:06:13 am »

1) different kinds of arrows doing different kinds of damage.  E.g. high cut damage arrows for shooting horses/light armour and medium pierce damage arrows for tin cans
2) a longbow that shoots quite far and fairly accurately but is slow to reload (like the sniper xbow?)
3) an alt-attack for some bows to use them as light wooden staffs for blocking

1) From what i have been able to gather on these forums the damage type of arrows doesnt matter, the damage type is selected by the bow not arrows.

2) It already shoots quite far and accurate and it is definitely slow to reload. Its just that the way archery works at the moment means that a long range shot does a lot less damage to the point where it doesnt seem to be worth it.

Offline Native_ATS

• Knight
  • Renown: 36
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2011, 10:24:25 am »
Archery is fine.

Throwing is the issue. The fact that they can have 6 throwing lances generally means 5 kills, guaranteed; if they miss, they can simply pick them up. The only way to lose a throwing lance is to kill someone with it. Throwing lances aren't even the only issue: You can jump entirely too fast between melee mode and throwing mode so that you're never vulnerable whatsoever, and you have extreme viability in melee range and unmatched viability medium range plus a shield. It's absolutely absurd.

Also, it's not so much that archers are OP, it's the sheer numbers of archers. I've already typed out a tldr post on it, but basically critical mass, once achieved, is OP. Archery isn't OP, it's the fact that the numbers of archers scale exponentially better than melee ever will due to spacing, proximity requirements and effective range.
this kid dosnt know anything about throwing, he dosnt even know how the game works....
The only way to lose a throwing lance is to kill someone with it? ummm no, sheild eat lances, ladders eat lances.. and doors... play the game more maybe and you will learn.
You can jump entirely too fast between melee mode and throwing mode? its the same as hiting someone and swinging  at them again, seems to be fair to me, also throwing weapons are shitty weapon for melee combat
also this is a bow thread, i say buff bows, or at lest the long bow
i say put it to 27p, with out the crazy wpf that we use to have it wont be op

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2011, 08:42:49 am »

PD beyond 10 does nothing, and without the WPF from WM, the reticule is as big as your screen, soooo.......
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login