Author Topic: How to be a good Cav?  (Read 7123 times)

Offline RichBaby

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: RichBaby
Re: How to be a good Cav?
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2011, 12:51:02 am »
If this is RichBaby_(lots of 0s), you have to be trolling. You are one of best horsemen I see playing. You are an inspiration to those who suck at being cav (just me). No asslicking intended.

Thanks Christo,Phazey, Daergar, KaMiKaZe_JoE & Tears_of_Destiny for the tips as well though, even if they aren't directed to me they will surely help!

Hi Akryn, my pleasure to inspire someone. I do play quite shit sometimes, especially when my gf calls in and have to stay on line for hours and play without sound.

As a reasonably veteran cav, I still feel hopeless when killed by a peasant holding a pitchfork which happens a lot...
You lose if you take it seriously.

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2011, 12:54:26 am »
With all due respect if you attack a guy face on and repeatedly do it as a cav, then you are a blooming thrice damned idiot.

In a straight fight a cav player is at a disadvatage due to that ugly massive clumsy horse that can actually get in the own rider's way. At least BlueGreen can defend himself when dismounted and still get kills.

Gnjus, there is a difference between an effective cav player, and a "skilled" one who is macho and does nothing but forward attacks and gets his horse cut down from him due to any sane 2Her outreaching him with a stab, or a Piker saying "shove it" and stopping the horse, or even a 1hander doing a jack-in-the-box jump and slicing off the head of the horse.

Stick with playing your 2Her with crushthrough (Because god knows your wooden hammer needs massive amounts of skill) and be a dear and stop diving into cavalry threads.

I never doubted for one second that a dedicated archer could comprehend my post.....i never said cavalry should charge into the pikes that await for em.....nor did i say they should charge the lolstabbers......all i said is that when you see Tommy/Ujin/Oberyn get scores like 50-60/2-3 its all down to the incompetent opponents, rather then their own "uber-OP-skill".....just ask them and they will confirm it. When they face some able (or at least half-able) opposition they dont get very far.......and they know it very well.  :)

As for my 2hander with "godly" crushthrough" (that needs some skill)...that is exactly where i was waiting for you....when i played a shielder you called me a noob who cant manual block, now when i play a 2hander (and having a slow/short mallet requires some manual blocking skill) you still call me a noob (using an OP/no skill required weapon)......and all that coming from a guy who plays a class which requires the most biggest amount of skill = a dedicated archer ? Youre having a laugh.......   :)

And yes...i played a cavalry...a lot in native, somewhat less in cRPG but yeah, i played it.
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline RichBaby

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: RichBaby
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2011, 12:57:37 am »
Sorry to disappoint you mate but it's not that hard to be a "good" cavalry guy, all you need to do is hunt down all those unaware/blind fools that just go straightforward and.....die........you backstabb 'em and they.....die.....their life sucks and then they just....die..........
As for the Tommy/Oberyn/Ujin......give 'em a half-decent opponent (one who is not blind/stupid/incompetent/unaware) and they just......die..........    :rolleyes:

(click to show/hide)

I appreciate your comment. I did say 'not picking up easy kills' so I will strive to be one of ' half-decent opponent'. :P

Also, your existence has made me give up my will to be a 2 hander。。
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 01:02:42 am by RichBaby »
You lose if you take it seriously.

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2011, 01:04:29 am »
I dont thonk its fair to say that those guys completly fail when fighting aware people. Cav Vs Cav fights require very good timing so its not like they are complete skillless noobs as your somewhat rejective post suggest my old friend  :lol:
Turtles

Offline Gnjus

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2011, 01:27:25 am »
I dont thonk its fair to say that those guys completly fail when fighting aware people. Cav Vs Cav fights require very good timing so its not like they are complete skillless noobs as your somewhat rejective post suggest my old friend  :lol:

No, no, no....i never said all these guys were bad.....skilless noobs, etc.......and im not being rejective to them...but we are talking about these insane 50-60/3-4 scores.....i played cavalry and i know how hard it is to beat em....but you cant deny that most of their scores is based on other people's unawareness (something that i never had the nerves for...just waiting/stalking and backstabbing poor blind people, ive done it on a few occasions and it worked perfectly but mostly i just charged and died :--)).....some like to call it "skill of the cavalry who can catch all these blind/unaware people.....but i prefer calling it "taking advantage of the fact that all these opponents are so frigging blind/useless/whatever".....also, you cant deny that most of em are skilled even without their horses (Oberyn, Ujin, Tommy, etc).....with a few exceptions (Bluegreen, and a few more names i wont mention cause i dont want to "insult" them)  :wink:
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2011, 01:27:36 am »
I never doubted for one second that a dedicated archer could comprehend my post.....i never said cavalry should charge into the pikes that await for em.....nor did i say they should charge the lolstabbers......all i said is that when you see Tommy/Ujin/Oberyn get scores like 50-60/2-3 its all down to the incompetent opponents, rather then their own "uber-OP-skill".....just ask them and they will confirm it. When they face some able (or at least half-able) opposition they dont get very far.......and they know it very well.  :)

As for my 2hander with "godly" crushthrough" (that needs some skill)...that is exactly where i was waiting for you....when i played a shielder you called me a noob who cant manual block, now when i play a 2hander (and having a slow/short mallet requires some manual blocking skill) you still call me a noob (using an OP/no skill required weapon)......and all that coming from a guy who plays a class which requires the most biggest amount of skill = a dedicated archer ? Youre having a laugh.......   :)

And yes...i played a cavalry...a lot in native, somewhat less in cRPG but yeah, i played it.

Wait now darling, where did I say that you were a n00b? I never recall complaining about your shield skills either, though I do remember being in that particular thread, it was someone else who complained about that. I don't think crush through is godly either, mainly just the barmace needs a small nerf.

As for archers requiring the most amount of skill, that is simply foolish (And I dare you to find a single post of mine that claims that statement is true). It does require skill to lead targets and account for speed and target priority and distance, but I think melee takes a great deal more work considering in archery there is no footwork, while in melee there is.

I understand your intense hatred of archers (And considering how much your clan gets shot at, I do not blame you, even if it is also amusing at times to watch), but it is really silly to drag that into a thread where it has nothing to do with it. How does me playing an archer have any correlation with my argument or your argument or this thread, considering I do not recall mentioning it once. Would it please your heart if I were to inform you that I spend much more time playing melee then as a range character? I doubt it...

Shush now, be a dear, and go back to playing where you can inform the entire world how much you hate archers. Everyone in the forums knows by now this, but there are still new players on the servers that do not read the forums, and need your kind and caring words. Run along now, play nice!

No, no, no....i never said all these guys were bad.....skilless noobs, etc.......and im not being rejective to them...also, you cant deny that most of em are skilled even without their horses (Oberyn, Ujin, Tommy, etc)...

Really?

As for the Tommy/Oberyn/Ujin......give 'em a half-decent opponent (one who is not blind/stupid/incompetent/unaware) and they just......die..........    :rolleyes:

You have a marvelously unique way of putting that they are skilled. Simply fascinating.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 01:31:44 am by Tears_of_Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Gnjus

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2011, 01:36:49 am »
Run along now, play nice!

Sorry mate but i think that running kinda suits YOU much more then it suits myself. You have vast experience with it(taking into account the class you play with such passion and dedication) so....feel free to hit the road Jack.  :wink:

(click to show/hide)

You have a marvelously unique way of putting that they are skilled. Simply fascinating.

They are....
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 01:39:10 am by Gnjus »

Offline KaMiKaZe_JoE

• Marshall
  • Renown: 904
  • Infamy: 117
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Cavalieres
  • Game nicks: KaMiKaZe _______
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2011, 04:53:27 am »
SHAME, IT WAS LOOKING LIKE A GOOD THREAD FOR A WHILE THERE.

Anyway, does anyone else like fighting on the front lines next to infantry, exactly as infantry normally do, except on horseback? I find it entertaining to ride on up to the melee, and if there's room (don't even need flat terrain) go to down with my heavy lance. It requires alot of maneuverability, awareness, and timing; the horse must constantly be moving, mostly parallel to the enemy peoples. You also need to avoid hitting/bumping teammates.

Still I think its uber fun, and REALLY distracting to enemy infantry. They see a horse that isn't galloping away at full speed and they think "OH GOD KILL IT KILL IT!", only to see said horsie prance just out of reach, and its rider poke a bitch.

Another tip on "how to be a good cav". If you're really low on money, have a rouncey, and feel like being annoying I suggest the following: Naked horse bump the enemy team to death. Don't just rush into them all KaMiKaZe like, but gallop around looking for unwary people. The best situations involve the enemy forming a generally straight line, which generally happens when they are facing an opposing line of your team's infantry. In this case, simply gallop at full speed down the enemy line and trample half their team into the dust. Your team may then lunge in and pwn the knocked down baddies.

It's hilarious, and the "thunk" sound makes me giggle.

"I don't think I'd want to meet anyone from cRPG. Sorry no offense lol" -TG

Offline Tomas_of_Miles

• Count
  • Renown: 263
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
  • Inactive
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rusty mercenary siege engineer
  • Game nicks: Something with Tomas in it
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2011, 07:48:53 am »
I consider you  a pretty decent cav
+1 keep doing what you are doing, as much as it pains me...
Professional poop cleaner

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2011, 08:37:12 am »
I do play quite shit sometimes, especially when my gf calls in and have to stay on line for hours and play without sound.

I feel you there, bro.

As a reasonably veteran cav, I still feel hopeless when killed by a peasant holding a pitchfork which happens a lot...

I've seen you play and you're quite good. Quite frankly, a horse lancer's job is to go for easy kills. If you spend your time dueling other horsemen you are wasting your time, because it's the horse archers/archers job to kill the horsemen. I usually just run away from duels and go back to killing unawares.
As for actually dueling horse lancers... it's all in timing/ping. It just takes time and practice. You're good and you shouldn't have much trouble picking it up, if you ask me. Still I would keep away from dueling horse lancers. Your potential is wasted in there, you should really really focus on lancing infantry and unaware archers.
Also, never go head on against a guy on foot with a polearm, be it pitchfork or a pike. It's really easy to kill a horse lancer with pretty much any polearm, so you're better just running off to the next "easy kill".

Offline Kophka

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
  • for the final ride
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Kophka/Koschei
  • IRC nick: Kophka
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2011, 08:58:52 am »
I've seen you play and you're quite good. Quite frankly, a horse lancer's job is to go for easy kills. If you spend your time dueling other horsemen you are wasting your time, because it's the horse archers/archers job to kill the horsemen. I usually just run away from duels and go back to killing unawares.
As for actually dueling horse lancers... it's all in timing/ping. It just takes time and practice. You're good and you shouldn't have much trouble picking it up, if you ask me. Still I would keep away from dueling horse lancers. Your potential is wasted in there, you should really really focus on lancing infantry and unaware archers.
Also, never go head on against a guy on foot with a polearm, be it pitchfork or a pike. It's really easy to kill a horse lancer with pretty much any polearm, so you're better just running off to the next "easy kill".

Not picking on you, but here in NA, it's all about the cav on cav fights, when you get them together. It started out as each team trying to protect their stragglers and afks from the enemy cavalry, and evolved to "take those bastards down, so they leave us alone". The trend lately has been to laugh at cavalry "padding" their K:D ratios by chasing afks, and giving the most respect to those that can bust up an enemy formation without going down while simultaneously keeping enemy cav from doing the same. We're actually seeing organized cav movements such as wedges, group flanks, and close-in ride behinds to turn enemy ranged around and expose them to the fire they should have been watching in the front.

The best advice I can give you on becoming a good cavalry-man is to : A) Pick your weapon and stick with it. I use a light lance, and can take more inexperienced heavy lance users head on solely because I'm more used to the timing of my lance then they are of theirs. Once you know your gear, you'll constantly improve if you don't change it up. and B) Don't worry about your K:D. Doesn't matter, the multiplier does. You can do as much good without ever sinking a lance into someone, if you disrupt the enemies movements and harass their flanks ( a traditional role for light cav, which since polearms trump even plated chargers, we all really are). Glad you're enjoying the class, hope you stick with it. :D
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 09:00:06 am by Kophka »

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2011, 09:19:29 am »
Not picking on you, but here in NA, it's all about the cav on cav fights, when you get them together. It started out as each team trying to protect their stragglers and afks from the enemy cavalry, and evolved to "take those bastards down, so they leave us alone". The trend lately has been to laugh at cavalry "padding" their K:D ratios by chasing afks, and giving the most respect to those that can bust up an enemy formation without going down while simultaneously keeping enemy cav from doing the same. We're actually seeing organized cav movements such as wedges, group flanks, and close-in ride behinds to turn enemy ranged around and expose them to the fire they should have been watching in the front.

In Europe, we ride for kills, not advance tactics.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 09:21:18 am by Vibe »

Offline Fluffy_Muffin

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 429
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Tribunal
  • Game nicks: Vivec_the_Poet
  • IRC nick: Umbra
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2011, 10:17:52 am »
I love it when cav charges me head on when i have my lolstab chambered (ummm fresh meat)
Defy me, and you will know what it is to stand against a god.

Offline Furax

• Noble
  • Renown: 15
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2011, 10:36:31 am »
I love it when cav charges me head on when i have my lolstab chambered (ummm fresh meat)

Funny, thats what I think as cav when seeing someone with a chambered lolstab aimed at me. I still fail quite alot against it, but they usually end up pierced.

Offline La Makina

• Knight
  • Renown: 26
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • Dedicated siege tower pusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2011, 10:53:09 am »
When I used to play Native, I was good at killing cavalry. I was even good enough to hunt them down with a short sword.

On cRPG, different story, I get killed on and on, usually from behind as you know how well to do but also from the front. Sometimes I can take one or two out with a long 2h sword but I cannot do as well as I do in Native.

I wonder how is cav in cRPG that different from Native.