Author Topic: How to be a good Cav?  (Read 7114 times)

Offline RichBaby

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: RichBaby
How to be a good Cav?
« on: April 04, 2011, 06:51:43 pm »
Can somebody tell me please? By good I mean can kill Tommy and Oberyn all the time, as opposed to picking up easy kills (though which I think is the true job for cav). :D
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 02:23:58 am by Kalam »
You lose if you take it seriously.

Offline Armpit_Sweat

• High Lord of the Spam
  • King
  • Renown: 1417
  • Infamy: 154
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Armpit_Sweat, My_horses_name_is_Rebecca
Re: How to be a good Cav?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 06:54:51 pm »
Couch a Heavy Lance or use Jarids.

EDIT:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 10:57:45 am by Armpit_Sweat »
  Spam at The Temple of Spam

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 06:58:25 pm »
Being aware of your own limits for starters.

Try and kill the ones who are unaware, and avoid getting into massive groups of enemies who will mob and slow you down. If there is a particularly troublesome opponent, do not be one of the many stupid cav players out there and keep circling him to try and kill him, and instead just run off (Speed is an advantage, so always use it) and go kill some other player.

Playing a slow ring-around-the-rosie of a single opponent when there are a few dozen remaining enemies is a sin too many cav commit.

If there are a half dozen team mates mobbing a single guy, do not be a prick and run into them to try and add one more kill to your count. Learn how to play smart and do a well timed cav bump to the enemy for your team mates to exploit while he is getting up from the ground, and learn to not run over your own team mates.

Being greedy as an infantry hurts team mates, being greedy as a cav kills them.

A great example would be BlueGreen who is one of the best armored cav players I have seen on any server. Never allows himself to be stuck, never slows down, always moves to new places, and knows when to switch weapons or avoid people with pikes.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline RichBaby

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 07:03:01 pm »
Being aware of your own limits for starters.

Try and kill the ones who are unaware, and avoid getting into massive groups of enemies who will mob and slow you down. If there is a particularly troublesome opponent, do not be one of the many stupid cav players out there and keep circling him to try and kill him, and instead just run off (Speed is an advantage, so always use it) and go kill some other player.

Playing a slow ring-around-the-rosie of a single opponent when there are a few dozen remaining enemies is a sin too many cav commit.

If there are a half dozen team mates mobbing a single guy, do not be a prick and run into them to try and add one more kill to your count. Learn how to play smart and do a well timed cav bump to the enemy for your team mates to exploit while he is getting up from the ground, and learn to not run over your own team mates.

Being greedy as an infantry hurts team mates, being greedy as a cav kills them.

A great example would be BlueGreen who is one of the best armored cav players I have seen on any server. Never allows himself to be stuck, never slows down, always moves to new places, and knows when to switch weapons or avoid people with pikes.

Thanks for this Tears! Found really helpful. I am now playing on EU1, you? I know Bluegreen well, he is a nice guy.

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 07:07:29 pm »
Can somebody tell me please? By good I mean can kill Tommy and Oberyn all the time, as opposed to picking up easy kills

Sound like you want to be a cav that's good against other cav? A heavy lance and polearm skill is really nice against other cav. Practice on the duel server with some other cav friend to get the timing and subtleties right.

Use a maneuverable horse like the sarranid or steppe horse. Consider going throwing + horse archery, it's a great cav-vs-cav build. Go for maximum riding skill always.

A nice trick i use a lot is to body-block their horse with yours, forcing them to stop. Combined with a maneuverable horse and high riding skill, you should be able to get behind them and slash or stab them once or twice before they can escape you. Risky move though, if they are on to you they'll just aim for your horse instead of you.

Edit: one more important tip for cav versus cav: always try to move in front of other cav. Never cut in behind, always cut along their front. Server latency and mechanics seem to favor the guy that swings or stabs really early and aims slightly ahead of where they are displayed on your screen. 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 07:10:09 pm by Phazey »

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 07:09:15 pm »
Thanks for this Tears! Found really helpful. I am now playing on EU1, you? I know Bluegreen well, he is a nice guy.

I usually alternate between NA and EU servers. Right now I am actually not at my computer, and just running some code and fixing a few things.

I will remember to keep an eye out for you out of curiosity, best of luck, I hope you enjoy being a cav!

Oh, and great advice from Phazey.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline RichBaby

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 07:10:10 pm »
Couch a Heavy Lance or use Jarids.

EDIT:

like your pic :P

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 07:11:21 pm »
Meh, you've killed me enough times to know by now :P.

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I am not at liberty to say.
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 07:14:38 pm »
If you can find a native server that is not a ghost town, get on it, go Rhodok or Nord vs Khergit or Swads, take a light lance and prepare to be the lone cav vs a horde.
Alas nodachi
remembers glorious spring
a tin can's hatchet.
http://www.moddb.com/members/psychotropicdog

Offline Fluffy_Muffin

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 429
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Tribunal
  • Game nicks: Vivec_the_Poet
  • IRC nick: Umbra
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 07:17:05 pm »
I consider you  a pretty decent cav
Defy me, and you will know what it is to stand against a god.

Offline Furax

• Noble
  • Renown: 15
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 07:22:23 pm »
Its ALL about the timing of your lancing and placement of horse. Keep your horses head safe whilst not sacrificing range of your own lance to get the other guys horse, it does not take long to become proficient at it. Also run away from all HA's like its the devil himself coming to eat your eyeballs.

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I am not at liberty to say.
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 09:10:49 pm »
Rich is pretty good.
Just want to stress .. avoid bumping friendlies like the plague. Melees tend to get antsy and may swing before seeing the flag over a horseman's head after the tenth 'friendly' bump.
Alas nodachi
remembers glorious spring
a tin can's hatchet.
http://www.moddb.com/members/psychotropicdog

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 09:26:20 pm »
Stop going Road Rage on your teammates. It's not funny.
Especially when you kill them/knock them down so they die from an enemy.

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Miralay

• Knight
  • Renown: 49
  • Infamy: 25
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Brigade
  • Game nicks: Tsu, Miralay
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 09:33:08 pm »
Knowing your role on battlefield is the key for being for a good cav player..

Offline Daergar

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Daergar_the_Tank
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 09:56:39 pm »
Just some random tips.

As stated, aim and thrust your lance earlier than you think you should (practice is a must). Veer your horse away as you strike, or right after, with the goal of avoiding his lance while planting yours in the face. Sounds simple, is rather simple, works like a charm.

Which is why you often see two good cav players doing circles, meeting at the apex and trying to land a hit while both veer away.

When striking infantry, make sure you land the hit with the lance almost fully extended, to gain the maximum of the speed bonus. If they do a downward block or raised shield, simply run over them. Try the next pass with your 1her out, sometimes people still block and then you can bump and slice them instead of simply running them down.