Author Topic: [SUGG] Anti "nude leaching" system  (Read 2309 times)

Offline Chort

• Knight
  • Renown: 53
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Strangers
[SUGG] Anti "nude leaching" system
« on: April 04, 2011, 11:22:31 am »
:idea: Main idea - if you do not use weapon you will pay penalty (instead of repair)

Code: (pseudo code) [Select]
LEVEL; // your character level
TOTAL_EQUIPMENTS_COST; // total equipments cost
MAGIC_NUMBER = 500; // some magical number, need to balance

if(TOTAL_EQUIPMENTS_COST < LEVEL * MAGIC_NUMBER)
{
ComputeEquipmentPenalty(); // something close to repair equipments for (LEVEL * MAGIC_NUMBER) gold.
}
else
{
UseDefaultRepairBehavior();
}

Most of players never will pay penalty. At level 20 you need equipments that cost only 10 000 gold - it's not too much.

P.S. It's only suggestion...
This is necessary. This is necessary. Life feeds on life feeds on life feeds on life feeds on........

Offline Punisher

• Baron
  • Renown: 127
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Punisher
Re: [SUGG] Anti "nude leaching" system
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 11:31:30 am »
No, this would force you to use more expensive gear as you level up. Most people use 30-35k gear, but still forcing it would be unfair. For example if someone wants to play in peasant clothes with a katana at level 30 why stop him.

Easiest way to implement what you are suggesting is getting no xp/gold ticks if you spawn without a weapon.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 11:32:15 am »
This looks all good but what about ninjas and lol-builds?
For example nemeth have an alt where he runs around with just a long dagger and light clothing. He's hilariously fast in it and most of the time he gets a couple of kills (so he is not leeching/not contributing). Under this people like him would be penalised. Although I have heard him complain about what he should do with all the money he has...

But I really like the idea man! Everything to make those damn leechers/looters pay!
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 11:37:06 am »
Sounds like a horrible idea.
I'd rather not have to pay extra when in my peasant disguise. Or my light ninja armor.
This would also hurt the tincans who spend half their time in cheap gear because of upkeep
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 11:39:24 am by Ninja_Khorin »

Offline Chort

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 12:00:21 pm »
No, this would force you to use more expensive gear as you level up. Most people use 30-35k gear, but still forcing it would be unfair. For example if someone wants to play in peasant clothes with a katana at level 30 why stop him.

Admins will force leachers to use weapon in any case
I think for ninjas and other "players in peasant clothes with a katana" it's not big deal to pay small penalty.
Also we may to balance penalty in any time :wink:

This would also hurt the tincans who spend half their time in cheap gear because of upkeep

so I should lose, because they want to leach...
This is necessary. This is necessary. Life feeds on life feeds on life feeds on life feeds on........

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Zen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 12:05:31 pm »
Admins will force leachers to use weapon in any case
I think for ninjas and other "players in peasant clothes with a katana" it's not big deal to pay small penalty.
Also we may to balance penalty in any time :wink:

so I should lose, because they want to leach...
It's not a bid deal for leechers either to pay a small penalty.... They mostly do it for experience in any case.
And people that use cheap gear to afford their upkeep aren't leechers and it's ridiculous that you think that.

Offline Chort

• Knight
    • View Profile
Re: [SUGG] Anti "nude leeching" system
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 12:24:10 pm »
Less benefits for a leeching - less leechers. My idea isn't panacea.

If people that use cheap gear are not leechers, they will use some weapon to win, to get X, to earn more money.  15k is not to much...

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Zen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 12:34:15 pm »
It's just that there are more people in cheap gear than there are leechers. Why punish those who are innocent? Also, this leads to tincans having an even harder time earning back their money.
Also, I'd like to argue that for leechers to vanish the benefits should be smaller for leeching than for playing normally. If they earn as much as a normal guy that plays the game, they'll still leech. They must earn stuff slower than regular players for their amount to reduce. I don't know how this can be done.

And you're argument that it doesn't matter much if you have to pay a little extra. I still say it doesn't matter much to leechers either.
The leechers will just be harder to spot since they're all in some form of gear that's just above your magical "below this you still have to pay"-line.

This will make leeching slower. And playing like it's meant to be played slower.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 05:32:03 pm »
No to this idea, how in the nine hells am I supposed to have that much crap on as an archer?
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I am not at liberty to say.
Re: [SUGG] Anti "nude leeching" system
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 05:59:15 pm »
Less benefits for a leeching - less leechers. My idea isn't panacea.

If people that use cheap gear are not leechers, they will use some weapon to win, to get X, to earn more money.  15k is not to much...
Your idea is not panacea, it's punishment. Perhaps a trip to the bondage shop would help your urges.
Alas nodachi
remembers glorious spring
a tin can's hatchet.
http://www.moddb.com/members/psychotropicdog

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Do evil to others before they do evil to you
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Kenkyaku
  • IRC nick: Torp
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 06:45:17 pm »
but... why not add penalty if you wear no weap or armor?
why would you add penalty for cheap items? that makes no sense

Offline Chort

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 06:52:23 pm »
No to this idea, how in the nine hells am I supposed to have that much crap on as an archer?

Lamellar Vest + Strong bow + Khergit Arrows + Bastard Sword ~ 15 000 gold (I guess you are using better equipment). Even at level 30 you will not have to pay a penalty.

We can reduce the "MAGIC_NUMBER" to 400 or even lower. Even ninjas will never pay penalty  :rolleyes: (ninja gears cost about 12-13k gold).

P.S. You should use some weapon in any case. If my system do not force you, that admins do it. It's only suggestion... my suggestion.

Offline Chort

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 06:55:49 pm »
but... why not add penalty if you wear no weap or armor?
why would you add penalty for cheap items? that makes no sense

Player at level 30 with "Practice Dagger" it's not serious. That player should help team to win, not to lose.

Just need to find coefficient that will be acceptable for everyone (in most case)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 07:01:05 pm by Chort »

Offline IG_Saint

• Count
  • Renown: 196
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: IG
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 07:02:38 pm »
Player at level 30 with "Practice Dagger" it's not serious. That player should help team to win, not to lose.

You've obviously never seen Nemeth with his dagger. I don't see any way to punish the real leechers without punishing people that just like wearing minimal gear.

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I am not at liberty to say.
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 07:16:56 pm »

Just need to find coefficient that will be acceptable for everyone (in most case)
No, now you really want to punish team mates who are not doing their utmost to help YOUR multiplier. Face it, people need to screw around sometimes to keep it fun, trying to change that is going to lead to migration to some other inferior game.
Alas nodachi
remembers glorious spring
a tin can's hatchet.
http://www.moddb.com/members/psychotropicdog