Poll

Which build?

Horse Archer (First build)
2 (20%)
Foot Archer (Second build)
8 (80%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: April 14, 2011, 03:28:21 am

Author Topic: Archer help  (Read 2168 times)

Offline Zekerage

• Knight
  • Renown: 55
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ZyloRage
Archer help
« on: April 04, 2011, 02:32:24 am »
I'm about to retire, and figured I'd run an Archer for a while. I'm torn between two builds, the first being an HA that's decently effective on foot, and a pure foot Archer that, while not as mobile, packs a heavier punch, due to the fact that it can wield a War bow and have more PD. The builds are as follows:

Level 30 (4 420 577 xp)

* Strength: 15
    * Agility: 21
    * Hit points: 50

* Converted: 2
    * Ironflesh: 0
    * Power Strike: 3
    * Shield: 0
    * Athletics: 7
    * Riding: 4
    * Horse Archery: 3
    * Power Draw: 5
    * Power Throw: 0
    * Weapon Master: 7

* One Handed: 1
    * Two Handed: 1
    * Polearm: 110
    * Archery: 140
    * Crossbow: 1
    * Throwing: 1

This allows me to be mobile, and decently effective, should I lose my horse.

Level 30 (4 420 577 xp)

* Strength: 21
    * Agility: 18
    * Hit points: 56

* Converted: 8
    * Ironflesh: 0
    * Power Strike: 4
    * Shield: 0
    * Athletics: 6
    * Riding: 0
    * Horse Archery: 0
    * Power Draw: 7
    * Power Throw: 0
    * Weapon Master: 6

* One Handed: 1
    * Two Handed: 1
    * Polearm: 90
    * Archery: 140
    * Crossbow: 1
    * Throwing: 1

This one packs a little more Punch in the Ranged department, but lacks the Mobility of the HA. In both cases, I'll probably use the Strong bow, mostly, but this allows me to toy around with the War bow, which I've wanted to do for a while.

Suggestions, thoughts, and critiques are welcome, and I thank you ahead of time for your input.

-ZyloRage22

Offline Sphinxer

• Knight
  • Renown: 53
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: _Sphinx_
Re: Archer help
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 02:58:26 am »
Your build is good , the problem is the player that sucks ;)

Joke apart, forget about warbow, stick to Strong Bow and mobility (imo)

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 03:00:09 am »
The thing is after the most recent patch if you look at the stats the warbow has the exact same shoot speed as the strong bow so the only difference is 3 more CUT damage (which is hardly noticeable) for the cost of 4 speed and 50% more in upkeep costs.  Go with the 5 powerdraw build because you are dual classing and go 145-150 wpf in bow with the 90-100 polearm.  check out the khergit bow too, the extra speed of getting another shot off is usually worth the slight reduction in damage.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Zekerage

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 03:16:49 am »
I'm a fan of both the Khergit bow And the Strong bow. Looking at the numbers, is there ANY reason to use the War bow, or is it purely preference/aesthetics? Also, knowing that you're a Very experienced archer, how much PD would you suggest, Minimum (PD requirements aside). I was talking to Geon last night about it, and he said He really couldn't see a difference between PD 6, 7, and 8, and that regardless of those PD's, it took 2-3 arrows on Mediums, and 5-8 arrows on Heavies. I actually have an archer alt that's lvl 27 with 5 PD, 7 WM, 7 Athletics, and I was able to consistently get a 4-1 K:D using the Strong bow. That kind of points to it being unnecessary to go above the Bow's required PD (in this case, 5).

P.S.  Sphinx sucks :P
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 03:22:05 am by Zekerage »

Offline Sphinxer

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 03:26:11 am »
I say keep it to your bow requirements + 2 PD , and focus on your melee back up (polearm) with str/3 PS

Offline Zekerage

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 03:29:40 am »
So does that mean you're in favor of the Foot Archer build Sphinx? Also, as I questioned in the post right before yours, would those +2 in PD do anything significant?

Offline Keshian

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 03:36:46 am »
You notice the higher pd much more when shooting heavier armored opponents, lightly armored its usually 2-3 hits to kill regardless.  A lot of people like the look of the warbow but speed is more important than a little cut damage (though longbow will have pierce with next patch) especially fighting other archers.  My most effective build so far has been 15-24 using my khergit followed by 18-21 with my strong bow, though the 24-15 witha a khergit was fun. And since the guy with original posting hasn't done archery before, better to err on the side of more wpf than more powerdraw.

Offline Zekerage

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 03:45:42 am »
With the patch, will the longbow still be inaccurate as all hell? Also, is the "guy with original posting" me? Just curious. I have an Archer alt, Lvl 27 15/21 (Atm), 5 PD, 0 PS, 7 Ath, 7 Wm, 160 Archery Wpf, and 9 Polearm Wpf. Also, would you say 150 is the Absolute minimum for Archery Wpf, or could I get away with 140? Those 10 points from 140 to 150 could possibly help in my melee side arm of choice, imo.

Offline Keshian

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 04:11:20 am »
With the patch, will the longbow still be inaccurate as all hell? Also, is the "guy with original posting" me? Just curious. I have an Archer alt, Lvl 27 15/21 (Atm), 5 PD, 0 PS, 7 Ath, 7 Wm, 160 Archery Wpf, and 9 Polearm Wpf. Also, would you say 150 is the Absolute minimum for Archery Wpf, or could I get away with 140? Those 10 points from 140 to 150 could possibly help in my melee side arm of choice, imo.

yes, sorry.  Hell you can actually do fine with 120, but its noticeable differences every time you go up another 10 wpf.  When I dual class I actually am fine doing 135-140 archery, also doing strength based archer, but 150 and 160 are really nice.  Your current build is fine other than the 0 powerstrike on your alt.  Splitting points between athletics and powerstrike is usually fine and you dont get too gimped in  close quarters.

Offline Zekerage

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 04:16:28 am »
Yeah, the two builds I currently have posted should be able to handle Melee much better than that Alt (considering they both have More than 0 PS), and I never really intend to get a melee kill. Luckily, I'm decent with Manual blocking, so in most cases, I'm able to block long enough to be able to Run away (Hurray 7 Athletics!), and resume my Barrage of Ranged Death. Playing an Archer as much as you have, which have you found you prefer? A "Str Based" archer or an "Agi Based" archer?

Offline Wallace

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WallaceBRD
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 06:23:40 am »
My 13 PD triple heirloomed longbow will be king after next patch
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Keshian

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 07:23:01 am »
Yeah, the two builds I currently have posted should be able to handle Melee much better than that Alt (considering they both have More than 0 PS), and I never really intend to get a melee kill. Luckily, I'm decent with Manual blocking, so in most cases, I'm able to block long enough to be able to Run away (Hurray 7 Athletics!), and resume my Barrage of Ranged Death. Playing an Archer as much as you have, which have you found you prefer? A "Str Based" archer or an "Agi Based" archer?

I really like sparring in battle like DaddyNasty style of play and that requires agility based khergit or strong, but for siege the strength based is far more useful.  Depends which you enjoy more, theya re both effective.

Offline Sphinxer

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 07:25:10 am »
My 13 PD triple heirloomed longbow will be king after next patch

*Added Wallace to Wanted List* ;)

Offline Kryser

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Teutonic
  • Game nicks: TwoTon_Feuer
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 08:28:40 am »
My 19 yr old brother made an archer for his 1st gen and said he hated it. Until his last 4 levels 27,28,29,30 he put his skills into riding. He said its a really fun class and its funny to watch infantry run after you while you shoot them helplessly.

Fun class but also the most hated, do you want to have fun and lose all your friends? Cause my opinion, All horse archers should be put in a time machine until their small children, beaten, covered in gasoline, lite on fire, and thrown into a stable full of stupid scared horses. Watch the Horse archer get stomped out by crazed horses and laugh, then go home to play more "Bec and Bow."
Again, it was good fun playing with you guys. Kryser is one of the funniest motherfuckers I ever met btw. Cheesy Biscuits.