Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress  (Read 1737 times)

Offline DrTaco

• Count
  • Renown: 179
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
  • Your eternal reward
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Swashbucklers
  • Game nicks: Magical Toaster
Dwarf Fortress
« on: July 09, 2012, 06:13:55 am »
+2
I couldn't find any threads about this, so here goes.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
So what is Dwarf Fortress?
Dwarf Fortress is a part rogue, part simcity in a high fantasy universe. In Fortress mode, you take command of seven drunken, antisocial, depressed, unethical, and at some points brain dead, Dwarves. The mission of these seven dwarves is to build a successful and wealthy mountainhome, through many different ways. Along the way, the player fights threats of invasion from many different civilizations, animals, massive animals, the monsters of the caverns below, floods of the water and magma kind, vampires and other creatures of the night, and occasionally from themselves, all the while keeping their Dwarves fed, hydrated, clothed, and overall happy. In the Adventure mode, you are put into the shoes of a single sentient being (Dwarf, Elf, Human, the like) and travel across the world completing quests and fighting horrific beasts, and most of the time, being instantly murdered by them. Legends mode looks into the history of the world, looking at the various cities, landscapes, and people. (Some of the more badass than others)

At the beginning of the game, you create a world of your own. These can range from pocket size, to massive worlds. There are several ways to customize your world, through beat number, mineral frequency, civilization number, and so on and so forth. The map, unless dictated otherwise, is generated randomly, some taking a step further and reproducing Europe. Each of these individual worlds you create has their own civilization names, people, and histories. There are no story lines, and you are free to do as you wish. Without getting killed of course.
(click to show/hide)

The gameplay is rather simple nightmarishly hard to understand at first, and rightly so. There is no official guide, or manual, or handout that explains what the fuck you just got into, and what kind of sick and twisted vegetable soup is this. Now the graphics in Dwarf Fortress are not super title level like some games can be or are. Hell, there ARE NO GRAPHICS The 'graphics' in this game are ASCII. Computer characters representing a figure in the game. Thankfully, these are not tossed about at random. An Elephant, for instance, is a capital E. If you aren't a fan of this, several community mods Like Phobeus and Ironhand actually add graphics to the game, if a bit primitive. The basis of the game rarely utilizes the mouse. Most of the game is controlled by keystrokes and arrow keys, such as d for designation, d again for mining, and using the arrowkeys and enter to select what wants to be mined. Oh, be careful about mining. There is a physics for this game, and if you mine too much without supporting columns, the cavern WILL collapse and brutishly  murder your mining Dwarves if they are unlucky.

In itself, the game is brutal. The fortress of Boatmurdered portrays this very well. You will die. A lot. Before you can understand this game you will be smashed into the dirt over and over again, and it will never let up. Just so you know, you will not win this game. There is no way to win this game. The motto of the game is "Losing is !FUN!". Most of us agree the object is to create and epic fortress that goes out in a blaze of glory, or lack thereof. The future is yours! Beat the hell out of it!

You can find the download Here
You can find the Community forums Here
Don't take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
Re: Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 06:17:56 am »
An interesting game, mentioned everywhere I go on the internet at some point.

Must be because of it's excellence and insane approach, no "game" (if you can call it one) is like this afaik.

Still, for somebody who's a bit more "casual", but willing to learn, they should make a Re-boot (what diehard fans would probably hate to death, but I only mean from the visual side)

As you said there are mods, but I guess you see what I mean, a game based on this, but with some "touch".

Call me a conformist, but I just couldn't stand looking at ASCII for hours, in 2012. I'm no graphics whore either.

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
  • Renown: 446
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SeQueL
  • IRC nick: SeQueL
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 06:31:13 am »
+1
Yah, I don't wanna look at letters and shapes either.

It other news theres a game in Alpha called Gnomoria that's similar to this but has visuals.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 06:46:32 am »

Offline DrTaco

• Count
  • Renown: 179
  • cRPG Player
  • Your eternal reward
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Swashbucklers
  • Game nicks: Magical Toaster
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 07:08:31 am »
Well shit.
Don't take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 10:30:03 am »

It other news theres a game in Alpha called Gnomoria that's similar to this but has visuals.

Aww yeah, just found this game via another webpage. Looks pretty fun and seems better than another dwarf fortress clone, Towns. Graphics wise it looks prettier than Towns to me too.

Gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E75mL6R42i0&feature=player_embedded
You can get the trial here: http://gnomoria.com/?page_id=110

Haven't tested yet but will when I get home today.

Offline enigmatic_stranger

• King
  • Renown: 1118
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 03:06:06 pm »

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 03:22:03 pm »

Just had another short 20 day game in Towns yesterday, was contemplating on buying it... good thing i didn't, this looks so much better, just what i felt that Towns was lacking in depth!

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 03:44:39 pm »
Just had another short 20 day game in Towns yesterday, was contemplating on buying it... good thing i didn't, this looks so much better, just what i felt that Towns was lacking in depth!

My thoughts exactly. I mean there are several (although little) things that bothered me in Towns, but they just added up to making gameplay unenjoyable.

Offline isatis

• Duke
  • Renown: 624
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • ink+water showing their true potential!
    • View Profile
    • le Clan des Cochons!
  • Faction: Le clan des Cochons!!
  • Game nicks: Cochon_Furtif_Isatis
  • IRC nick: Isatis
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 04:26:25 am »
I once wanted to write a book with this game

it has been months and I'm still in retrieving info...

I mean games create so much new thing I play for one hour and I got one week of new info to go in, event to tell and people to know

so deeeeeep

So the new response to ranged ragers is not "get a shield", it is "learn to chamber ranged nub!"

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 07:49:07 am »
Ok tested Gnomoria and it feels a lot more like Dwarf Fortress than Towns did. Very cool game.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 09:12:02 am »
Ok tested Gnomoria and it feels a lot more like Dwarf Fortress than Towns did. Very cool game.
It does, already bought it.
Still, hope it gets a lot new content added in, still lacking in that area.