Author Topic: Why is 2h faster than Polearms regardless of the speedrating?  (Read 7321 times)

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I am not at liberty to say.
Re: Why is 2h faster than Polearms regardless of the speedrating?
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2011, 09:47:08 pm »
polearms.. slightly easier then 2h.

numbers.. basically you are looking for the placebo effect.
Alas nodachi
remembers glorious spring
a tin can's hatchet.
http://www.moddb.com/members/psychotropicdog

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Do evil to others before they do evil to you
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Kenkyaku
  • IRC nick: Torp
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2011, 10:02:23 pm »
Polearms are better vs. peasants in battle

2H's are better vs skilled players in duels

That is what i feel, take a polearm if you just want to farm kills on the battle server, but take a 2H if you want to duel with the best.
The sole thing that makes 2H so much better than polearm for that purpose is the lolstab.
It has epic range, crazy animations, super speed and high pierce dmg. There is simply no other attack in this game that matches the lolstab.

Offline Dravic

• Knight
  • Renown: 78
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Not playing
  • Game nicks: Not playing
  • IRC nick: Most likely Dravic
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2011, 10:22:27 pm »
There is simply no other attack in this game that matches the lolstab.
There is, Torp. Throwing lance with 13 PT. Srsly, I have screens of guy who was great at throwing lances enought to have 5 kills with 5 throws.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2011, 10:30:39 pm »
Indeed. Whenever I fight a 2h guy, I feel like the underdog, like I am at a disadvantage.

Basically if I'm not aware, 2h user will start to kite me until I die.. quite frustrating, I say.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 10:33:21 pm by Christo »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2011, 10:44:09 pm »
Try fighting LUBU. Ultimately, I think you'll find that your results will be about the same as it would be against SpookIsland, except you'd have more losses. Does this have anything to do with the weapon?

In part, yes, but you're also discounting timing and ping. Spook has sub 30 ping, last I checked, and LUBU has sub-20 on most days. You've got...what...60-80?

I'm not blaming it on that, that's just one small factor amongst others. For instance, Spook has a tendency to left click faster than most while using his keyboard to avoid your hits, and LUBU combines that with his right clicks. There's dozens of factors in any given fight that lead to the results we see, and your weapon is just one of them.

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2011, 12:03:37 am »
I've fought lubu, i can actually get a decent fight going because i can block his polearm attacks and it ends up as both of us manual blocking and feinting until one of us fucks up or gets taken out by another person (mostly me).

I've fought Dexxtaa as well, and even with a 95 speed bec i can block without breaking the attack block paradigm.

Now when i fight cyranule, with that masterworked LS and AGI, i might as well just drop my weapon because he can spam me for all eternity unless i move into his swings and hope he doesn't recover.

I don't have the same problem with one hander for some reason, since polearm stun gives me a slight advantage if i don't get hit. But once i do they get a free hit because of stun lock. But rarely do they break the hit block paradigm as much as 2hers do.

my ping is 30-70 given the time of day and traffic, so ping is negligable imo

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2011, 12:07:58 am »
polearms.. slightly easier then 2h.

numbers.. basically you are looking for the placebo effect.

how is it "slightly easier"? I've done a 2h before and the only reason why i didn't like it was because i had to do a dance around shielders. This was before i realized that i can run away from shielders and aviod those situations. Other than that, polearms are inferior to 2h in everything except for specialty weapons and variety.

Offline CarlSagan

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • We are all star stuff contemplating star stuff
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: CarlSagan_Astralis
  • IRC nick: CarlSagan
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2011, 12:48:54 am »
Also, if you are relying on WPF/weapon speed to out swing someone, you're doing it wrong. It's about timing, fainting and more importantly, swinging into your killing blows. Swinging into an attack is going to add speed/damage. The trick is fainting this. A good player will be watching for you to swing into an attack and try to use that to their advantage. If you can faint a killing blow (releasing an attack, swinging into it and then blocking to cancel the attack and change direction) and then do something unexpected, you will win duels.
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion or in politics, but it is not the path to knowledge and there is no place for it in the endeavor of science"

Offline Noble Crassius

• Noble
  • Renown: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Long live the Han
    • View Profile
    • http://rotk.ws/
  • Faction: Han Empire
  • Game nicks: Han_Ling, SiegeSome, Fallen_Knight
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2011, 01:24:05 am »
Ah so this is another why can't I beat X? X's weapons, Y, must be OP WHINE thread. Got it.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 01:25:34 am by Noble Crassius »
On it.

Offline Tomas_of_Miles

• Count
  • Renown: 263
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
  • Inactive
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rusty mercenary siege engineer
  • Game nicks: Something with Tomas in it
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2011, 02:19:36 am »
2h feels easier to me... I switch between lots of builds each gen, to be able to be empathetic on the battlefield, and 2h is the strongest melee weapon, the best all rounder. Polearms struck me as teamplay weapons, pike some dude to give him a downblock to think about whilst hes dueling someone... etc.
Professional poop cleaner

Offline Felagunda

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2011, 02:32:46 am »
No hafted blades and glaives and knobbed maces and elegant poleaxes are pure spamming material faster than almost all swords.  You are just using wrong polearms.  They are faster longer, polearm stun, hit harder, pretty much every advantage except whiff in close quarters against walls.

and you just listed all the pole arms that people cry about and want to see nerffed

btw I just fought Givi_the_swords_man he was using a 2x long sword in 2 hands.  I was using a 3x long hafted blade.  He has 140 WPF in 2h & 15 Agi.  I have 139 WPF in pole & 12 agi.  Givi trys to overhead me.   I chamber it and before my weapon can even come down on his head he blocked it.  That sir is fucking bs to me.

Anyway I hate to bitch about stuff but w/e.  I am a huge fan of pole arms and always will be.  The stutter they gives kicks ass but what I like the best about them is the versatility of the different types.  To bad pole arms lost the looney toons axe & boulder on a stick though.  At least we still have the pike.  If people would have their way though they wanna make a pike not even overhead swing! WOW!  Some people are just bad right?

« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 03:23:31 am by Felagunda »

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2011, 03:02:25 am »
how is it "slightly easier"? I've done a 2h before and the only reason why i didn't like it was because i had to do a dance around shielders. This was before i realized that i can run away from shielders and aviod those situations. Other than that, polearms are inferior to 2h in everything except for specialty weapons and variety.
All the good pole axes, i.e. elegant, great axe on a stick, poleaxe, are not unbalanced.
The only 2h anti-shield that is not unbalanced is fighting axe. Oh you want to avoid them? why? who are you actually going to fight then?

I really could not tell you what the numbers mean, they bear no real relationship to comparing the weapons by using them.
I find polearms block better, 2h feignt better.
Alas nodachi
a tin can's hatchet.

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2011, 05:29:01 am »
All the good pole axes, i.e. elegant, great axe on a stick, poleaxe, are not unbalanced.
The only 2h anti-shield that is not unbalanced is fighting axe. Oh you want to avoid them? why? who are you actually going to fight then?

I really could not tell you what the numbers mean, they bear no real relationship to comparing the weapons by using them.
I find polearms block better, 2h feignt better.

What does balance matter when you can just get an extra axe on your back to break shields then switch to swords? I find the great axe to be equal to the Axes in the 2h, even though they are unbalanced. I've actually managed to kill people in similar amounts with my sarranid battle axe compared to my great axe, even though my GLA is suppose to be faster and balanced.

I never used the axes as secondary because i was a cheapo when i did my 2h build, because i had no money. Now that i'm caking i don't care much for money so i can actually afford to be strategic rather than simply cheap.

Anyways, this isn't a whine thread. Its a legitimate concern, and frankly the fact that there are two different standards in speed ratings means that polearms are only given a fake sense of equality in speed compared to 2H. Its decieving and should really be addressed in some manner. If something told me that polearms are noticably slower than 2H, irregardless of speed rating, i would have not made this thread.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 06:41:44 am by Thucydides »

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2011, 05:57:26 am »
What does balance matter when you can just get an extra axe on your back to break shields then switch to swords? I find the great axe to be equal to the Axes in the 2h, even though they are unbalanced. I've actually managed to kill people in similar amounts with my sarranid battle axe compared to my great axe, even though my GLA is suppose to be faster and balanced.

I never used the axes as secondary because i was a cheapo when i did my 2h build, because i had no money. Now that i'm caking i don't care much for money so i can actually afford to be strategic rather than simply cheap.

Anyways, this isn't a whine thread. Its a legitimate concern, and frankly the fact that there are two different standards in speed ratings means that polearms are only given a fake sense of equality in speed compared to 2H. Its decieving and should really be addressed in some manner. If something told me that polearms are noticably slower than 2H, irregardless of speed rating, i would have not made this post.
It matters a lot to people who don't want to carry a lot of well, baggage.

I do not get your last paragraph, and please, do not ever use the non word irregardless ever again. You'll thank me for it later.
Alas nodachi
a tin can's hatchet.

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2011, 06:37:00 am »
How do you not get the last paragraph? It is pretty much a summary of what this thread is about.