Author Topic: Shielder popularity  (Read 5788 times)

Offline dreadnok

• Marshall
  • Renown: 838
  • Infamy: 562
  • cRPG Player
  • fuck these jerkoff kids
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KBW<MB<SoW
  • Game nicks: Gorp_The_Gorger
Re: Shielder popularity
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2012, 03:58:12 am »
I never played 1h, so I can only see the other side here. 1h glanced a lot on me (62 body armor,+3 tabard and plate mittens) especially in groupfights. Now you are mosty stunned in groupfights with shielders around, even when you are able to swing you will likely hit a shield while gathering momentum. I would say this makes it easier for 1h and harder for polearm/2h :).

No shit. Thats what should happen. And it happens to any melle fighter 1h or polearm. Polerarms and 2h can hit out spam shielders easily and do full damage at any angle and any distance. Ny swings bounce if people are to close
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Shatter

• Knight
  • Renown: 59
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Shatter_Astralis
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2012, 04:23:48 am »
+2
I like the idea of giving shielders a manual blocking reward mechanic. Like maybe 35-50% damage reduction to shield on "successful" block, 50-100% damage increase to shield on "missed" block. I don't think the change would be too radical. It would give a minor reward players for blocking in the right direction with a minor penalty for not blocking correctly. Of course the numbers could be tweaked as well.

Personally, I think 1h are fun (even though I'm not as good with them  :() and shielders are very useful in team situations. Only thing I don't like about them now is there is no manual blocking involved, which makes the class as a whole a lot less interesting to play personally.

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2012, 05:24:45 am »
I like the idea of giving shielders a manual blocking reward mechanic. Like maybe 35-50% damage reduction to shield on "successful" block, 50-100% damage increase to shield on "missed" block. I don't think the change would be too radical. It would give a minor reward players for blocking in the right direction with a minor penalty for not blocking correctly. Of course the numbers could be tweaked as well.

Personally, I think 1h are fun (even though I'm not as good with them  :() and shielders are very useful in team situations. Only thing I don't like about them now is there is no manual blocking involved, which makes the class as a whole a lot less interesting to play personally.

I can get behind this. The shield shouldn't take no damage whatsoever since it can still protect the user even when the block misses.

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2012, 05:55:58 am »
I can get behind this. The shield shouldn't take no damage whatsoever since it can still protect the user even when the block misses.
The tradeoff there is having a short weapon that requires you to get within threat range of multiple players to use effectively (when compared to polearms or 2h).

I really like the idea of a 1h being able to take a light shield that doesn't impede movement much, with the tradeoff that one or two failed blocks will destroy it.

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2012, 06:00:45 am »
uhh shield vs shield is the most boring shit in the game.

I made the original barmace crusher just because I was fed up with turtles making the game so dull

but playing shielder is fun simply because taking on multiple enemies is easy, and you have near immunity to ranged.

but yeah game needs manual shielder blocking really, I've thought before about how I would do this effectively but too much engine work I think.

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2012, 06:36:08 am »
The tradeoff there is having a short weapon that requires you to get within threat range of multiple players to use effectively (when compared to polearms or 2h).

I really like the idea of a 1h being able to take a light shield that doesn't impede movement much, with the tradeoff that one or two failed blocks will destroy it.

I'm aware but I don't think its fair that, under this manual blocking shield idea, a person with a shield can miss a block and still be unharmed while also having the advantage of keeping his shield at full health if he blocks everything perfectly. That's all.

Offline Bryggan

• Marshall
  • Renown: 727
  • Infamy: 207
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: 13 Knights, HCE
  • Game nicks: Jerk, Asshole, Dumbass, etc.
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2012, 06:48:10 am »
+2
I'm aware but I don't think its fair that, under this manual blocking shield idea, a person with a shield can miss a block and still be unharmed while also having the advantage of keeping his shield at full health if he blocks everything perfectly. That's all.

I think too many people want to make this game too fucking hard for casual gamers and want to reward the people who have been playing for 8 hours a day for the last three years.  I'm sorry I'm a shitty player and all, but cRPG (plus native about six times) is the only online gaming I've done.  I know you guys want to keep it challenging for yourselves, but non 733T players like to survive more than 2 minutes sometimes too.

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2012, 07:25:38 am »
I think too many people want to make this game too fucking hard for casual gamers and want to reward the people who have been playing for 8 hours a day for the last three years.  I'm sorry I'm a shitty player and all, but cRPG (plus native about six times) is the only online gaming I've done.  I know you guys want to keep it challenging for yourselves, but non 733T players like to survive more than 2 minutes sometimes too.
Anybody - at least anybody with 100 ping or less - can just sink a few months into the duel server (even just playing an hour every couple days), and get to the point where they can block a single opponent 95% (if not more) of the time. After that it's a matter of doing it with distractions and against multiple opponents (siege is a decent place to practice this).

Blocking is easy enough that most player don't duel defensively, because it actually ends up being pretty boring.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 07:12:37 pm by Vodner »

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2012, 07:57:10 am »

I really like this.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline EyeBeat

• Earl
  • Renown: 432
  • Infamy: 175
  • 20th BEST PLAYER IN HOSPITALLER
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hospitaller
  • Game nicks: EyeBeat_The_Wanderer
  • IRC nick: EyeBeat
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2012, 12:36:23 pm »
Hey get off my nuts... I have been a shielder since day one.  It isn't a fad.

Actually the fad right now is being a shielder and wearing lots of armor.

Being a smallish community doesn't entitle you to act more like a dick than other communities.

Offline Bryggan

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2012, 07:00:28 pm »
Oh, I sorta misunderstood.  If you do a bad block, you're still blocked but your shield is weakened.  That makes sense, and my guess would be true to life.  Still, that could make a shield op, and the guys who invested in shield breakers might get pissed.  Plus it won't help me till I move and get a better internet connection for my ping.

Offline Lactose_the_intolerant

• Earl
  • Renown: 460
  • Infamy: 71
  • Byzantium the intolerant, lactose_the_...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2012, 07:58:46 pm »
+1

I made the original barmace crusher just because I was fed up with turtles making the game so dull

but playing shielder is fun simply because taking on multiple enemies is easy, and you have near immunity to ranged.

but yeah game needs manual shielder blocking really, I've thought before about how I would do this effectively but too much engine work I think.

stop talking out of your ass, you have no 1h experience and you even admit it in another post

Offline Bryggan

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2012, 10:28:56 pm »
stop talking out of your ass, you have no 1h experience and you even admit it in another post

Yeah, good 1h use a lot of footwork to get past the shield and try make the other miss the shield.  Me, on the other hand, just turtle.

Offline Vingnir the Wanderer

• Knight
  • Renown: 50
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Snowhawk
  • Game nicks: Ving
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2012, 11:57:54 pm »

Completely disagree.

Blocking on an axis is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than four direction 1982 blocking, if anything what needs an upgrade from  'space invaders' days, is the 4 directional manual blocking...

Offline callahan9119

• Baron
  • Renown: 106
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Callahan9119
« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2012, 04:19:15 am »
So, if I'm not misjudging the tone of this thread, there is an issue with shielders and a movement to somehow indirectly nerf them? I hope I'm wrong, because if not the calls for nerfs has reached hilarious heights.
Hello