Author Topic: Shogun 2 Thread  (Read 5838 times)

Offline Erika_Furudo

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Shogun 2 Thread
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2011, 07:56:30 pm »
Am I alone having the impression that Shogun 2 is (with max quality) less technically beautifull than Empire and Napoleon ? Of course, there are more units on the ground and I don't really care about graphics, as long as it's playable, but it's intriguing.

I started a Shimazu campaign and found it easy, as others said the AI seems to struggle with many armies and does not protect it's borders. You just have to defeat stacks one at a time. But this is on medium difficulty so I can't really say about the real game. All in all, the details make this game cool. Clans, agents and the province building mechanics are really well done.

Battles were easy since the AI seems to favor Ashigeru, and those peasants tend to flee like chicken.
The game doesn't have AA yet. Unless it came with the last patch? Which I doubt. Did not really check. Shogun 2 looks great.

Offline krampe

• Knight
  • Renown: 29
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Count Palatine of the Rhine
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pony
  • Game nicks: krampe and the moons
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2011, 02:50:00 pm »
I started recently as Shimazu and conquered my starting island and the other to the east. Does anyone know if the suspicion of the Shogun will decrease over time?
Sacrum Romanum Imperium

Yeah, well you know, that's just like, your opinion, man.

Offline Chagan_Arslan

• Earl
  • Renown: 372
  • Infamy: 155
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Chagan_Arslan
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2011, 03:03:20 pm »
download some mod, maybe darthmod and universal AI, than go play on legendary.. if you will find it easy, than you can complain :]

Offline dynamike

• King
  • Renown: 1212
  • Infamy: 187
  • Let's be friends again?
    • View Profile
    • The Remnants Clan Website
  • Faction: Stratia
  • Game nicks: Remnant_dynamike
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2011, 04:14:36 pm »
This:

I dont really enjoy it. There is near to no unit variety. That makes the game so much less interesting than the others. Faction choice was always based on their unit roster, now I clicked the one with a pretty banner. One campaign and I'm done with it, glad I borrowed it from a friend

And This:

Played Shogun 2 for a few sessions over a couple of days and haven't played it since, have far more fun playing mods for M2TW still. Not enough variety for me where units and factions are concerned, I also couldn't care less about the new diplomacy and AI when I find the battles boring as hell after playing a little while. Better AI or mechanics to make the game harder don't mean shit to me when the battles begin to bore me.

Makes me stay with M2TW and its great selection of mods. I tried Shogun 2 and was not impressed in comparison. It is really sad to me that a big developer company cannot capture or supercede the fun of gameplay, depth and versatility of a predecessor in now !! 3 !! subsequent new game releases!

Epic fail award to a once great series  :(
For while the fire in the heart of a single Remnant still burns... can Stratia truly have fallen?

Offline SirCymro_Crusader

• King
  • Renown: 1095
  • Infamy: 134
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2011, 05:41:37 pm »
Heres hoping for a Rome 2 lol! Or at least a good TW game with a good singleplayer and multiplayer and at least with a versatile selection of units instead of the same ones.

Offline ManOfWar

• Count
  • Renown: 243
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No crutches at all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Remnant_ManOfWar (Formerly Takeda)
  • IRC nick: ManOfWar
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2011, 08:05:36 pm »
I think ill upgrade my graphics card from 4800 to 5780 before I buy shogun :D
Just a soldier

Offline Erika_Furudo

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2011, 08:32:40 pm »
download some mod, maybe darthmod and universal AI, than go play on legendary.. if you will find it easy, than you can complain :]
The game is kinda hard enough when playing on Legendary. I just doubt anyone here really have played it.
Majority of the TW players tend to save spam(or well, generally in all games). Ninja died? reload, etcetera. Seeing that you can't save normally in Legendary removes that.

I started recently as Shimazu and conquered my starting island and the other to the east. Does anyone know if the suspicion of the Shogun will decrease over time?
It won't. I believe it is around 20-25 regions when it happends.
I am actually not even sure if it goes down when you lose regions. But I think it does.

Makes me stay with M2TW and its great selection of mods. I tried Shogun 2 and was not impressed in comparison. It is really sad to me that a big developer company cannot capture or supercede the fun of gameplay, depth and versatility of a predecessor in now !! 3 !! subsequent new game releases!

Epic fail award to a once great series  :(
Vanilla Shogun 2 is far better than Vanilla M2TW.
Plus. You can't really compare a modded old game with a newly released one. Who says Shogun 2 won't have glorious mods later on?

I think ill upgrade my graphics card from 4800 to 5780 before I buy shogun :D
The CPU is the most important part for TW games.
Unless you have a really good CPU then I don't really recommend getting a new graphic card or so for Shogun 2 atleast.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 08:33:53 pm by Erika_Furudo »

Offline Kophka

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
  • for the final ride
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Kophka/Koschei
  • IRC nick: Kophka
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2011, 10:12:07 pm »
The reason I've stayed away from it is lack of culture/unit variety. When there's only one culture to pick from, and a variety of 6 units to use, I'm just not interested. If you are big into medieval Japanese culture, I'm sure it's an awesome game, but I like the widely varied unit roster and play styles from the rest of the Total War series.

Offline dynamike

• King
  • Renown: 1212
  • Infamy: 187
  • Let's be friends again?
    • View Profile
    • The Remnants Clan Website
  • Faction: Stratia
  • Game nicks: Remnant_dynamike
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2011, 10:37:08 pm »
Quote from: dynamike on Today at 13:14:36

Epic fail award to a once great series

Plus. You can't really compare a modded old game with a newly released one. Who says Shogun 2 won't have glorious mods later on?

Sorry mate, I disagree. Liked the vanilla M2TW much better than Shogun 2 or any of its other two in-betweens. Just the sheer variety of cultures, units and historical non-comic balloon-on-the-back-of-horsemen, non eye-vision-damaging-color combination units made it so much more fun for me  :!:
For while the fire in the heart of a single Remnant still burns... can Stratia truly have fallen?

Offline Chagan_Arslan

• Earl
  • Renown: 372
  • Infamy: 155
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Chagan_Arslan
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2011, 11:04:08 pm »

Sorry mate, I disagree. Liked the vanilla M2TW much better than Shogun 2 or any of its other two in-betweens. Just the sheer variety of cultures, units and historical non-comic balloon-on-the-back-of-horsemen, non eye-vision-damaging-color combination units made it so much more fun for me  :!:

some claim that those horo's (baloons) are historic accurate as they were used by general bodyguards and messengers to stand out on the battlefield, and those colors might also be accurate but this opinion i give only from watching the kurosawa's movies (Ran for example as its his first color movie), one could assume they had costumes that looked as authentic as they could

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2011, 11:11:46 pm »

Agreed, stopped playing Shogun 2 after 1 campaign and didnt enjoy it, its only about 2 months ago that I played a MTW2 campaign which was much more fun.

Offline ManOfWar

• Count
  • No crutches at all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2011, 12:21:07 am »
Erika my cpu is a - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU   920 @ 2.67GHz, 2793 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)\

is that good?
Just a soldier

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
  • Renown: 1049
  • Infamy: 651
  • Man, I still play this shit?
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Anders_Astralis
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2011, 01:32:07 am »
Hum, there's a mod out for Shogun 2(A compilation mod) that makes things far far better.

I haven't played multiplayer yet, though i want to. Single player is not bad, each faction has the "same" units, but the different factions have bonus(or costs) to units. Oda has the best Ashigaru in the game, while Shimazu has better katana samurai. So, even though units are still the "same", they actually applied faction bonus's to the units. Choosing a faction for it's bonus is very important.

(Beat campaign once with the shimazu as christians. Interesting way to expand: Get some high level Missionary's and then go and convert the populations and then foment revolts. Easiest way to hurt enemies and allies without being dragged into a war, though beware of enemy agents.)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Matey

• King
  • Renown: 1327
  • Infamy: 372
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Matey_BRD
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2011, 02:39:54 am »
Ive beaten 2 co-op legendary campaigns, and a very hard single player campaign. ive also played about 150 online matches (1v1s and 2v2). I am enjoying the game a lot. it has its issues, the AI is not very impressive most of the time... but most people are just as bad as the AI or worse... so... its ok. online is a lot of fun, the unit variety is better than people give it credit for. in online play you can take a ton off different modifiers for your army (and some the hurt enemy army), you also get to promote your units, but you get to add to 1 stat and it increases the cost of the unit... you can really fuck people up by adding some things to your troops... for example, i have bow ashigaru (shittiest bow units) with boosted accuracy, boosted fire speed, increased damage, double ammo, and increased range. they cost almost as much as the high end bowmen, and perform about the same... but no one ever expects them to have more range than regular bows.. so i get to snipe people a lot... oh and i get 120 per squad instead of 75 for the high end bowmen :D

anyways, I enjoy it a lot.

Offline ManOfWar

• Count
  • No crutches at all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2011, 02:43:55 am »
Wow matey I srsly want this game now
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 02:45:57 am by ManOfWar »
Just a soldier