Author Topic: Niuweidao vs. Katana  (Read 4134 times)

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
Re: Niuweidao vs. Katana
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2012, 07:40:00 pm »
What? Are you sure its not 18 like with the other weapons? +3 cut and +2 pierce?

Katana is obviously the better weapon, although the niuweidao when properly used can be nearly equal.
I don't believe this, 1h right swing is very long. I'd dare to outreach a katana with a niuweidao anyday.

Your opinion is invalid since ur a former Ninja.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2012, 07:44:14 pm »
+2
I don't believe this, 1h right swing is very long. I'd dare to outreach a katana with a niuweidao anyday.
Those numbers put the 1h right swing at -1 range. But you have to keep in mind that the effective range of your swings is not exactly the same, every swing.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2012, 08:01:19 pm »
+1
What? Are you sure its not 18 like with the other weapons? +3 cut and +2 pierce?

apparently the katana doesn't recieve a +1 for the poke on the masterwork.

Offline Miley

• Duke
  • Renown: 604
  • Infamy: 327
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2012, 08:54:12 pm »
Katana is a good 2h, and Niuweidao is a good 1h? I don't get how you're supposed to compare the two.

Offline Kato

• Count
  • Renown: 227
  • Infamy: 37
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2012, 09:03:14 pm »
I prefer(find easier) dueling top player with katana over top player with niuweidao anyday.
However for good kicker probably niuweidao isn't problem.

Offline ShinySpoons

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: RS
  • Game nicks: AltOfSpoons
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2012, 09:24:01 pm »
I prefer the niuweidai. I tend to facehug and circle, in which case the shorter range compared to the Katana is a benefit.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2012, 10:43:25 pm »
In a group fight the right swing isn't that great, but in 1v1 the right swing is very good.

We must be playing a different game. 1h right swing is for hitting people in the back while they are fighting someone else, or maybe as an opener to outreach someone (although thrust is a better option for this purpose if your weapon has it). The long delay coupled with tiny sweet spot makes 1h right swing a giant liability in 1v1.

Any competent player that sees you readying a 1h right swing just strafes slightly to their left and attacks, knowing that they just forced a glance. I use a +3 military hammer with 8 power strike, and it will glance on an archer if he is just slightly to my right. Every time I attempt a right swing against a competent hiltslashing 2h-er, I end up dead.

Offline Wraist

• Knight
  • Renown: 44
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2012, 11:30:17 pm »
We must be playing a different game. 1h right swing is for hitting people in the back while they are fighting someone else, or maybe as an opener to outreach someone (although thrust is a better option for this purpose if your weapon has it). The long delay coupled with tiny sweet spot makes 1h right swing a giant liability in 1v1.

You and your hatred for the 1h right swing..., it used to be my most common 1h attack [when I didn't pretend to be a bee], and isn't as bad as you make it out to be.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2012, 11:43:36 pm »
Right swing is good as an opener and for bait&punish moves. It's decent for helping you get inside, but it has limited use once actually inside unless you trick the opponent. It's good against other onehanders since you can do things like come in with a swing, move away while readying a right swing, then come back in. Not as good against 2h/pole unless you're fighting multiple opponents and can get them to be in each others' way.

As far as the OP is concerned, 88 length is more than good enough. The problem is the lack of cut damage. Katana is obviously better but you may get more utility with the Niuweidao and may be more comfortable with it if you are used to medium 1h reach instead of short 2h reach. If loomed, you might not even mind the damage since 32 cut is a good base for 1h.

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
  • Renown: 446
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SeQueL
  • IRC nick: SeQueL
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2012, 11:51:10 pm »
Niuweidao will always be the best 1hander in the game. That weapon was amazing and I fucked shit up with it when I was an archer. I miss my Niuweidao....

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2012, 01:09:55 am »
All i can think of when thinking about Niuweidao is that it's one of the FEW weapons i've killed people with whilst having 0 PS (When using as secondary for my archer).

Offline Bars

• Earl
  • Renown: 349
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player
  • My name is Bars! And your end is here!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Druzhina
  • Game nicks: Druzhina_Bars
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2012, 03:08:24 am »
+1
both is good, but  it all depends on who hold weapon on the hand.

Someday i get it back, and remind all of you of what you have rightly feared

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2012, 07:25:09 am »
Katana is a good 2h, and Niuweidao is a good 1h? I don't get how you're supposed to compare the two.
The underlying question is this: Are 1h animations better than two hand animations when discounting thrusts (I know a lot of people think so) and if so, worth sacrificing 5 cut damage?

The 1h left swing is likely the best animation for landing hits in crpg (On a fastest speed server, I'd go with the 2h thrust animation). Two of the swings can be mistaken for each other due to angles and positioning. If the animations are good enough to net you one extra hit per three or four, then wouldn't that easily make up for the damage loss?

I haven't used a Katana or a MW Katana in ages. I'm not sure how difficult it is for people to block but personally, I don't know a single person that uses one that gives me a harder fight than some of the good 1hed players we have, even when they use "slower" weapons.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2012, 11:00:01 am »
The right swing on the niueweidao outraches the katana on everything except thrust.
The values that guy posted ARE outdated, there is a thread somewhere with the current values somewhere someone found by testing, and 1h right swing adds more than you think..

I'm still saying to go with the nijuiweuwieuwiuidao, it has the best name, look, style, amazing stats, speed, awesome, animations and isn't a ninja weeabo anime weapon like the katana.
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2012, 05:33:53 am »
isn't a ninja weeabo anime weapon like the katana.

how is it not a weeabo weapon, its a chinese sword rather than japanese is all ;p