Author Topic: cRPG: status and plans  (Read 56609 times)

Offline Tagora

• Duke
  • Renown: 522
  • Infamy: 69
  • cRPG Player
  • there's bollocks in yr tea
    • View Profile
    • ClickCLICKclickCLICKCLICKCLICK
  • Faction: Dubliners
Re: cRPG: status and plans
« Reply #210 on: July 05, 2012, 12:54:13 am »
What can be said at all can be said clearly; and whereof one cannot speak thereof one must be silent.
-Wittgenstein
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

http://steamcommunity.com/id/tagora/

c h e l s e a  b o y s

Offline Vicious666

• Baron
  • Renown: 88
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
  • becouse an image is worth a thousand words
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vicious666_xXx
  • IRC nick: Vicious666
« Reply #211 on: July 05, 2012, 01:42:55 am »
There seems to be some confusion about cRPG lately, so we thought we should let you guys in on the "great plan".

First of all, no, our intention is not to "slow the game down" or even "dumb it down". In fact, quite the opposite. It's true that we are trying to make it more friendly for noobs, but not by making the game easier.

We have a general speed increase planned, but this is quite complex. The warband setting to increase the combat speed is not an option, because it's neither balanceable nor working well. The only way is the right one, and that's tuning every weapon individually. Of course, this takes time, so hang in there.

Not everything we're doing is because we're trying to "fix" something. "Don't fix it if it ain't broken" only applies to finished products. cRPG is no finished product, and not intended to ever be. It's a constant finetuning and improving of features.

Also, we don't do changes because we want the game to be more realistic. We do changes because we feel they are right. If they fit with realism, that's great, and it's also our guideline, but almost never the reason for a change. We are not trying do create a simulator, we are trying to create a game. 

I guess you guys want details. So let's talk details:
1. Increase the depth of fights
Which means more different fighting styles and more playstyles in general. Easy to learn, hard to master.

Examples would be separating hilt and blade damage types. Or having multiple damage types per weapon. There are also some more drastic changes planned, but not yet certain if they will make it into cRPG or we'll hold them back for the sequelas a USP

2. Change the multi system
Yes, the multi system is silly. I have no trouble admitting that :]

It makes you stop playing when you drop to x1, and it forces you to continue playing when you have x5. 

Therefore, we'll change the system to something that rewards personal skill and risk more. It will be, among other factors, proximity based, as we had in the early versions of cRPG. It will definately not be purely kill based, we don't want to reward fraghunters over teamplayers. It will also not reward proximity leechers. You can expect this change soon.

3. speed up the gameplay
Apart from the above mentioned speed overhaul, we will also implement a new WPF curve, resulting in higher maximum WPF numbers and buffing those with weapon master skills. You can expect your wpf points to be wiped when this happens.

4. Strategus
As seen in the last strategus patch, I'm trying to bring more and easier battles back into Strategus. I feel I've done an error with trying to shove economics into the gameplay so hard. They will stay a part of the game, but I intend them to be a bonus for clans and individual players, not the fundament like i tried before. Which was stupid. Micromanagement shouldn't be a necessity to play the game.

In the end, strategus is a game to fight epic battles, and that should be the main focus.

Apart from that, Harald has been working hard on a new graphical version of strategus, that fits with the current website and in general has the usual awesomeness of Harald. However, that is a big project, so no ETA on that yet.

Also, for all the "mod is ded" shouters. No, it's not, stats show us that it's as active like never before. Just to make that clear, we're the last to leave the ship.

We're here to stay.

Nuff said.

i am very happy about all of this wpf-speed-rebalance  etc , but really it took  you  a year to realize and admit what me and others where screaming around since the new xp system come up ?

i understand sometimes community can be problematic,  but   when majority say the same thing maybe community is right better later then never i suppose, it was a long time i not where agreeing with your changement, not that you give a fuck about it, but i am glad we are on same page again:=)

Offline Lech

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 123
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 05, 2012, 06:13:05 pm »

4. Strategus
As seen in the last strategus patch, I'm trying to bring more and easier battles back into Strategus. I feel I've done an error with trying to shove economics into the gameplay so hard. They will stay a part of the game, but I intend them to be a bonus for clans and individual players, not the fundament like i tried before. Which was stupid. Micromanagement shouldn't be a necessity to play the game.

In the end, strategus is a game to fight epic battles, and that should be the main focus.

Apart from that, Harald has been working hard on a new graphical version of strategus, that fits with the current website and in general has the usual awesomeness of Harald. However, that is a big project, so no ETA on that yet.

I hope factions will still be able to enforce equipment (via crafting or equivalent). I don't want to see weeabos and tincans fighting on my side.

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #213 on: July 05, 2012, 11:55:00 pm »
This would be good. Cause players in crpg don't really watch their hits. And if the crpg is going to be more realistic you should punish it somehow.
Cause in real combat, if you start hitting\killing your mates... That would not cost just a report :D

Yes, but in real life your teammate isnt going to jump infront of your swings to grief you, or attack in such a way that you may hit him just so he can pad his kills. Also I would guess that teamwounding/teamkilling happened irl fairly often.

Offline Ealoseum

• Knight
  • Renown: 57
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bushido
  • IRC nick: Ealoseum
« Reply #214 on: July 06, 2012, 12:17:20 pm »
Yes, but in real life your teammate isnt going to jump infront of your swings to grief you, or attack in such a way that you may hit him just so he can pad his kills. Also I would guess that teamwounding/teamkilling happened irl fairly often.
Yeah, that happened. But not like:"Ough, Ough, I wanna kill that enemy first, so I will shitspam in all the directions and kill you, if you step on my way." That should be punished:)

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #215 on: July 06, 2012, 12:20:39 pm »
Is it possible to tell us when will these plans become reality?

(click to show/hide)

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Alexander_TheGreat_

• Count
  • Renown: 258
  • Infamy: 194
  • cRPG Player
  • Please, its just a Phase in my life
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmar(F)union
« Reply #216 on: July 06, 2012, 01:12:58 pm »
What will happen to us agiwhores who have a too high wpf? :O
Wpf giving back so we can put to some other weapons, or just disappear :O
I never join a clan twice, I am the most loyal player ever
I am asian I am strong
I am a Kalmar for these 2 weeks
I am cute, I am sexy
I am Phase!

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 06, 2012, 05:13:48 pm »
-Wittgenstein

Even neglecting his severe psychological problems, Wittgenstein was proved wrong on this particular quote. There is no way to describe arithmetics clearly and coherently (ty Godel), yet it still is one of the most useful tools that exist.

There are many things the usual languages cannot decribe clearly, and the clear definition of a language that can describe those things clearly is not possible.

Offline Harafat

• Baron
  • Renown: 80
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Harafat_HRE
« Reply #218 on: July 06, 2012, 05:46:13 pm »

Even neglecting his severe psychological problems, Wittgenstein was proved wrong on this particular quote. There is no way to describe arithmetics clearly and coherently (ty Godel), yet it still is one of the most useful tools that exist.

There are many things the usual languages cannot decribe clearly, and the clear definition of a language that can describe those things clearly is not possible.

Wrong! Language is a tool that can help us get near the very truth. It never can be the vessel of truth, since it is human made and flawed. It is flawed because we can only make words for what we can imagine in our heads.  Philosophy is the search for truth, so language is the wrong tool. (this pretty much sums up the Tractatus, in a retard-comprehensible way.

He's not proven wrong, it's just accepted that it is very usefull to DO use language to search for truth, even if it is flawed from the beginning. Better to find something close to the truth, then not search at all.

On topic: Bravo for strat being about battles again!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 05:50:27 pm by Harafat »

Offline Tagora

• Duke
  • Renown: 522
  • Infamy: 69
  • cRPG Player
  • there's bollocks in yr tea
    • View Profile
    • ClickCLICKclickCLICKCLICKCLICK
  • Faction: Dubliners
« Reply #219 on: July 08, 2012, 06:03:17 am »
Symbolism is as useful as the person conjuring symbols.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/tagora/

c h e l s e a  b o y s

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 09, 2012, 12:46:57 am »
Wrong! Language is a tool that can help us get near the very truth. It never can be the vessel of truth, since it is human made and flawed. It is flawed because we can only make words for what we can imagine in our heads.  Philosophy is the search for truth, so language is the wrong tool. (this pretty much sums up the Tractatus, in a retard-comprehensible way.

He's not proven wrong, it's just accepted that it is very usefull to DO use language to search for truth, even if it is flawed from the beginning. Better to find something close to the truth, then not search at all.

In the Tractatus he pretends a coherent logic and it's expression is reachable by humans, and he was proven wrong on that claim by logicians. By that I mean there is no way one can speak clearly. Of course that doesn't make any of the aforementioned concepts invalid for application in real problems.

Acheivement awarded : derailing a thread into a philosophy argument.

Offline autobus

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 598
  • Infamy: 127
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bartering Brigade "Black Tea"
  • Game nicks: Autobus, Shushu, Samodur
  • IRC nick: Autobus
« Reply #221 on: July 09, 2012, 12:20:37 pm »
In the Tractatus he pretends a coherent logic and it's expression is reachable by humans, and he was proven wrong on that claim by logicians. By that I mean there is no way one can speak clearly. Of course that doesn't make any of the aforementioned concepts invalid for application in real problems.

no

Offline Cup1d

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
« Reply #222 on: July 15, 2012, 04:55:16 pm »
nothing new except plans eh?

Offline Micah

• Duke
  • Renown: 539
  • Infamy: 114
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Micah_Senpai_von_Krems Glance_the_Useless_von_Krems Arielle_the_little_Mermaid
« Reply #223 on: July 15, 2012, 09:32:06 pm »
+1

no
agreed
all crpg players are liars
I am writing long winded essays in shitty english.

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #224 on: July 18, 2012, 08:51:27 pm »
I haven't read this whole thread, but do we know approximately when the new wpf curve will be implemented?