Author Topic: 2handers guide  (Read 25073 times)

Offline Wallace

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WallaceBRD
Re: 2handers guide
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2011, 01:40:36 am »
Weird, I think you should read again. If you are chambering and the enemy feints, it's usually win because you have started to swing earlier.

This... Rarely does someone feint while I'm hitting a correct chamber timing and manage to return a second attack in time
The people that can do this are usually high AGI one handers that know my play style too well
... and midnighter/cyranule but that's cause they has better hax than me
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2011, 01:55:53 am »
Even if your attack starts earlier than his he can still hit you first. Depends on attack type and speed difference. And he's talking about very slow vs very fast, so yeah, rather cancel the chamber when he feints.
Though, the surprise bonus is pretty high too. Had this a couple of times on my 15 str shielder, hit the guy 5 times and then he chambers ... ofc you are oneshotted ... first you start to sleep and then suddenly bam.  :lol:
But seriously, against super agi shielders you just need to have good armor and keep swinging ... you have 50% chance to kill him by glance before your hp runs out.

Offline CarlSagan

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • We are all star stuff contemplating star stuff
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: CarlSagan_Astralis
  • IRC nick: CarlSagan
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2011, 02:13:07 am »
Right, I guess I was meaning that if it looks like someone is going to swing on you and you attemp to chamber them, they could just cancel their swing and block yours. Either way, I was trying to imply that more than anything, you need to be prepared to block their attacks with either a regular block or a chamber depending on the situation. Obviously if they try to faint you and you already have you attack chambered, swing away. Unless of course you're fighting wallace or cyranule... in which case just run away lol. Most of those guys in BRD are good players to watch because they fight correctly and more importantly, are all team players with good battle awareness.
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion or in politics, but it is not the path to knowledge and there is no place for it in the endeavor of science"

Offline Phyrex

• Count
  • Renown: 192
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: 22nd Battalion
  • Game nicks: 22nd_Overlord_Phyrex
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2011, 01:22:50 pm »
How to be a successful master of the 2-hand weaponry?

You need to define successful first. Successful at destroying half the enemy team or help win a round by being a teamplayer? Or seek out the best players on the enemy team and kill them?

I'm not much of a teamplayer. A soloist - duelist, hence; you'll rarely see me in clusterfuck situations. I usually run by myself and engage lone players like myself or small groups of players.

This would be a typical round for me...

1. Round start
2. Long flanking manoeuvre(Ninja style) along the edges or through shortcuts depending on the map. The first destination is their archer cluster.
3. Destroy anyone who comes in your way. Watch out for ninjas, they're weak but have fast attacks. Engage smaller groups of players aswell, if you think you can beat them.(Never engage anyone you don't think you can kill)
4. You should be behind their archer cluster by now and more importantly you should be unseen. Engage and kill all of them(Use holded overhead attacks for one-shot kills and be sneaky :P)
5. Backstab their main zerg-horde but try not draw the whole group towards you. Keep yourself clear and on the edge of the enemy group. Always have an escape plan should the angry mob turn towards you.

As for actual fighting, I'll keep my most devious forms of attacks for myself but I'll give a few tips.

Practise on duel servers. It's almost a must do thing. And preferably on Native duel servers(Ndition or Swadian), the average Native duellist is far better then your average cRPG player. I currently have 1600+ hours played on Steam and atleast 1000 of those hours have been on Ndition Duel Server with a Great Sword in my hands.

Chambering is an extremely risky business in Battle mode and even more so on cRPG since there are so many different weapons and char builds. When I chamber it's not on purpose, my brain and fingers do it for me, it's like an instinct it happens automatically.

As for engaging enemy groups or the zerg-horde...

I tend to picture my enemies like mobs on a crappy Korean MMO. I kite them around and kill them one by one.

Especially now when most of them have gone STR-whoring, they're slow like snails and are butchered like cattle.

Which brings me to character builds...

I favour Agi slightly above Str. I currently have my 18 Str and 21 Agi at lvl 31 build. 18 Str and 24 Agi at lvl 34.

That way I can give a reasonable punch in my strikes and I can outrun people despite my medium/heavy gear. And I have somewhat of fast strikes.

I'm all about running around like crazy, strike where I can kill, flee when I'm outnumbered and kill more elsewhere.

I guess you could tag along some time and see what I do. :P

I've missed some stuff and I'll update whenever I remember again. :)
Free Bjordhinn!

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Do evil to others before they do evil to you
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Kenkyaku
  • IRC nick: Torp
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2011, 02:27:54 pm »
The great Phyrex decided to help the average CRPG community... wow :D

Offline Opium.dk

• Knight
  • Renown: 53
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen Of Fenada
  • Game nicks: Opiumdk
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2011, 06:33:53 pm »
The great Phyrex decided to help the average CRPG community... wow :D

He's not that great, i killed him once.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2011, 08:38:15 am »

In that case Harmless is not that great either, as I killed her once in a duel and I was using a pike of all things with just 60 wpf... once.  :rolleyes:
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Corwin

• Earl
  • Renown: 499
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Corwin_the_Lazy
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2011, 09:30:05 am »
And how many times did he kill you? :lol:
I mean, what have you got to lose? You know, you come from nothing, you're going back to nothing, what have you lost? Nothing!

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2011, 01:31:02 pm »
I killed Phyrex with my level 10 2h alt once  :?

And I back-bump-slashed him countless times with my cav main.
BTW I think he killed me countless times too.

I'm quite surprised by your str/agi ratio, I would have though you had something like 18 agi/ 21 str. That sounds interesting for my next 2h alt gen.

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 1109
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2011, 01:53:59 pm »
Since I'm going away for quite some time, and since Corwinus requested it from me, I thought I would go ahead and comply.

Think of it as a last gift from me, or a payback for my shitty behaviour. In either case, here goes:

After reading through most of this thread, I think what people struggle with most is with putting their thumb on the definition of definitions. I'm probably one of the more seasoned duelists of the cRPG community, having played since release (some people here even range back to the betas of Warband multiplayer). And I think I've played for longer than Phyrex too. Anyhow:   

(click to show/hide)

I probably forgot a few things, in which case I will add them upon remembering.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 02:43:03 pm by Bjord »
When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2011, 02:59:35 pm »
Since I'm going away for quite some time, and since Corwinus requested it from me, I thought I would go ahead and comply.

Think of it as a last gift from me, or a payback for my shitty behaviour. In either case, here goes:

After reading through most of this thread, I think what people struggle with most is with putting their thumb on the definition of definitions. I'm probably one of the more seasoned duelists of the cRPG community, having played since release (some people here even range back to the betas of Warband multiplayer). And I think I've played for longer than Phyrex too. Anyhow:   

(click to show/hide)

I probably forgot a few things, in which case I will add them upon remembering.

I can't believe that I'm actually giving +awesomebar to a merc!

+1

Offline Razzen

• Knight
  • Renown: 29
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Razzen
  • IRC nick: Razzen
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2011, 03:33:21 pm »
I will try and help with this, I am a 2hander and a quite good one. Now its not all about lolstabs which some people make you believe, ofc there are spinstabs and all that, but as a 2hander its also very required to be good at movement to avoid being spammed by another 2her or a polearm, ofc you can spam yourself too by doing a simple move, this move is a good thing to start with if your close to each other, you do it by moving to the right and the same time you hit from the left, right after you move to the left and hit from the right, you will need to be a bit fast, since somebody can outspam you or hit before you do, for an example: a polearm guy with a glaive, if you move to the left and his hit is coming from the left, then you cant spam because his hit will hit you.

Alright I have shared a bit of my moves, I hope you could understand it and that it will help.

Also nice made Bjord.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 03:37:43 pm by Razzen »

Offline Phyrex

• Count
  • Renown: 192
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: 22nd Battalion
  • Game nicks: 22nd_Overlord_Phyrex
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2011, 03:34:41 pm »
Bjord speaks the truth, every single line is true.

Though I don't think I've ever reflected upon it in such depth, all of these things will come naturally/be realised with practise. :)

And never be afraid of experimenting with different attack patterns and weird feints or try and copy other peoples attacks and then use what works for you. For instance, just a couple of weeks ago I thought all kinds of attacks were already 'invented'(such as hilt-slashing, spinthrust etc.) but a new guy comes up to me and show me something new, a punch right in my face. I bet there are more ways of attacks out there to be discovered! :)

There are no shortcuts, only practise.
Free Bjordhinn!

Offline Corwin

• Earl
  • Renown: 499
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Corwin_the_Lazy
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2011, 03:35:08 pm »
Bjord, I can't thank you enough for taking time to write this down. This was great input, especially regarding battlefiled tactics for 2hander player.

Now, I would kindly ask moderators to sticky this topic, because I am now sure that it deserves such status.

PS
Bjord, I hope that you will remain active at least on forum? If not, I wish you again best of luck and predict a bright and shiny future for you!
I mean, what have you got to lose? You know, you come from nothing, you're going back to nothing, what have you lost? Nothing!

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2011, 03:58:05 pm »
I'd like to add something about str/agi balance.

If you are planning to stack str, be aware of the dangers. You will be powerfull and very likely to win duels and 2 v 1 situation, given decent fighting skills. But there is something you should be aware of. Athletics is probably the better skill of all, allowing you to choose your fights. If you are used to high athletics, you could be surprised how str builds with heavy armor can be horrible to play, because you can't help people struggling with big enemy groups. Low movement speed forces you to fight to death. You can't run from combats, you can't attack then retreat. In short, situational evaluation becomes extremely important in order to survive. You allways have to plan ahead, observe combats and tell whether :

- Your allies need you or not, because you will loose much time if you help them
- Your presence will make your side win this particular combat.
- The situation is desperate.

You can't flee, you have to be sure you will win all your combats, apart from the most important ones.

So even if str builds are better on paper, they suffer from the lack of movement speed. You can make this up by having light armor, but it reduces the use of having a good amount of HP.