Author Topic: 2handers guide  (Read 25075 times)

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: 2handers guide
« Reply #75 on: April 16, 2011, 01:48:11 am »
* Chamber delayed attacks (Probably the hardest technique to do on commando, i think Alex_c was close to perfecting this)

You see a lancer coming. You are preparing yourself mentally. His thrust is ready. Any error will cause your death, however you are calm and confident. When you feel like it's nearly there, you jump and start swinging your sickle over your head and it succesfully hits the enemy lance. You end your swing in the head of this poor lancer. He dies due to the speed bonus. You feel like a hero.

You have to know the habits of your enemies by heart if you want to succeed in chambering delayed attacks. It's usually easier with lancers because there is very little difference in their timings.

On another note, developping the mental part as a dueler is important too. Defensive players with excellent determination will usually win against more gifted aggressive players because those don't like taking too much time in a duel and will increase ther attack scheme risks as the duel takes longer, because an aggressive player will usually try to land the decisive blow. "Perfect blockers" can be a pain to duel, because nothing seems to work. So it's important to develop some kind of mental resistance against long, painful and boring duels.

Offline DarkFox

• Knight
  • Renown: 42
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 16, 2011, 02:24:06 am »
On another note, developping the mental part as a dueler is important too. Defensive players with excellent determination will usually win against more gifted aggressive players because those don't like taking too much time in a duel and will increase ther attack scheme risks as the duel takes longer, because an aggressive player will usually try to land the decisive blow. "Perfect blockers" can be a pain to duel, because nothing seems to work. So it's important to develop some kind of mental resistance against long, painful and boring duels.
Big disadantage of warband duels,usually happens because of too low battle speed.Two "Perfect blockers" fighting without risk will fight until one of the duelers  will be bored.

Offline Rangerbob

• Knight
  • Renown: 40
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rangerbob
« Reply #77 on: April 16, 2011, 04:36:05 am »
Since we are on the 2h guide it doesn't matter who is the perfect blocker if you bring a mallet to the fight either you die or they do in close quarters.  Though agi players will outrange you and pick you apart.

Offline King Berend

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • The Risen Champion
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Risen
  • Game nicks: TR_Duke_Melas_V_the_Champion
« Reply #78 on: April 16, 2011, 08:36:45 am »
who is this guy? :mrgreen:

hahaha :mrgreen: (meehhh melas mhuahahahha)
funny ninjas :)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 08:38:10 am by King Berend »

Offline RandomDude

• Earl
  • Renown: 431
  • Infamy: 43
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • I play now! but I suck =(
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: RandomDude
  • IRC nick: RandomDude
« Reply #79 on: April 16, 2011, 05:12:07 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Ahh yes. Nothing worse for me when im fighting a perfect blocker and it feels like the fight will go on for minutes. "I hate it when they block!"

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 1109
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 16, 2011, 08:53:22 pm »
* Chamber delayed attacks (Probably the hardest technique to do on commando, i think Alex_c was close to perfecting this)

It's very difficult and it's even more so to perform it on reaction. There's a typical delay length of any deliberate delay attack and if you've fought a specific player for long enough you'll develop a feel to when he will release the attack. I've performed so many on Phyrex he had to stop that particular sequence ;P.
When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.

Offline Paroxysm

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 16, 2011, 10:16:37 pm »
After playing this game for a few months primarily as a 2h/polearm I find two main things
holding me back from improving beyond where I am:

- Wrong blocks. I find it very difficult to block correctly consistently when you have to
turn and use a lot of footwork. Good shielders that facehug and encircle well get me almost
every time, as the combination of having to turn, block the correct direction and most
importantly see the way the strike is coming is too much for me. I also end up leftblocking
when I try to upblock, a lot. This comes with more practice I'm sure but it's frustrating
right now.

- Although I believe I have pretty decent footwork, my offensive capabilities are limited
and need to be more diverse. I don't feint enough, much at all really and this is a problem
against someone who can block well. Also my most important offensive problem is also due to
mouse control (ugh) is that after a successful block I won't return the strike from the same
direction I blocked in, but rather the opposite direction, which slows down your attack
phase enough that someone spamming can get another strike in. Again more practice but
frustrating. I also need to use more overhead attacks because upblocking seems to be a
problem for most the playerbase.

And then there are a few minor things such as:

- Running at someone with a chambered attack when their weapon is much longer than your own,
or has a thrust chambered. Sometimes I do this because I'm just not paying attention well
enough.

- Trying to engage an enemy who is currently in a stack of friendlies from the front.
Running in to engage with a chambered attack from the front is almost always suicide against
anyone good. By the time you wait for a clear shot they've already cleaved your teammate and
the next swing will be for you, and unless you were clairevoyant and released your attack
before he even killed your teammate, he will most likely hit you first.

And now a noob tip from myself:

- Here is a common situation: a player that you know doesn't block much is running at you
with a chambered attack (but not a thrust, this is important) with a weapon either shorter
or not much longer than your own. Run at them yourself with a right attack chambered and as
you're about to step into melee range stafe/turn to your left (going to his right) as you
release the attack. The speed bonus on this hit is massive as you're both running at each
other full speed. But since you released the strike from your right as you're moving to the
left, your strike will hit him incredibly fast, sometimes it will be so fast the enemy won't
have even released his chamber by the time he's hit. You will also hit him with the money
part of your weapon arc, and this drops most non-tincans with a STR build.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 10:18:22 pm by Paroxysm »

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 16, 2011, 10:19:38 pm »
(click to show/hide)

So... You're basically a beginner giving beginners advice?

Contradiction much? ;P

Offline Paroxysm

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 16, 2011, 11:10:26 pm »
I'm giving advice? Besides that section at the end where I outlined one specific situation and something that I found works well enough, I'm not giving any "advice", 3/4 of my post is just outlining what I think I'm deficient at. What exactly am I contradicting?

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 16, 2011, 11:15:50 pm »
I'm giving advice? Besides that section at the end where I outlined one specific situation and something that I found works well enough, I'm not giving any "advice", 3/4 of my post is just outlining what I think I'm deficient at. What exactly am I contradicting?

And now a noob tip from myself:

- Here is a common situation: a player that you know doesn't block much is running at you
with a chambered attack (but not a thrust, this is important) with a weapon either shorter
or not much longer than your own. Run at them yourself with a right attack chambered and as
you're about to step into melee range stafe/turn to your left (going to his right) as you
release the attack. The speed bonus on this hit is massive as you're both running at each
other full speed. But since you released the strike from your right as you're moving to the
left, your strike will hit him incredibly fast, sometimes it will be so fast the enemy won't
have even released his chamber by the time he's hit. You will also hit him with the money
part of your weapon arc, and this drops most non-tincans with a STR build.

Offline Paroxysm

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 16, 2011, 11:22:03 pm »
I didn't know you had to be an elite pro to say anything about combat mechanics. If you have anything to say about what I said do so, otherwise I don't know what your point is. And yes that is beginners advice, this being in "beginner's help and guides" forum after all.

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 16, 2011, 11:24:09 pm »
Nah, I'm just being an ass. You'll get used to it.

Anyone can give advice as long as it's good. But more often than not, it's usually fairly experienced players that give advice.

Offline RandomDude

• Earl
  • Renown: 431
  • Infamy: 43
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • I play now! but I suck =(
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: RandomDude
  • IRC nick: RandomDude
« Reply #87 on: April 16, 2011, 11:29:50 pm »

- Trying to engage an enemy who is currently in a stack of friendlies from the front.
Running in to engage with a chambered attack from the front is almost always suicide against
anyone good. By the time you wait for a clear shot they've already cleaved your teammate and
the next swing will be for you, and unless you were clairevoyant and released your attack
before he even killed your teammate, he will most likely hit you first.

I ... uhh... tried this a few times and it can work. Expecting my team mate to die and swinging before he was dead, i mean.

It can also not work and then you tk your team mate.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 17, 2011, 04:18:52 am »

It's not really that difficult. It's pretty much the same as normal chambering, you just need to be very slightly faster. But it's just useless. Why would you ever want to chamber a held attack? You wouldn't. You can just attack them instead. Only time I can think of where chambering held attacks is good is when you see someone run at you with their attack held and you wanna show how pr0 you are. Or as Bjord mentions, if you got someone's timing down you can attack them and count on your chamber to get them.. but then again you could just spam them a bit before that instead. Related to that actually, most people have predictable patterns and so after a few exchanges I can usually guess when they're gonna feint and then spam them to death. Followed by "OMG NOOB SPAM" of course.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Belhade

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 17, 2011, 06:07:56 am »
My epic 2H move:

Get into a fight, then run away. Make sure they're chasing you, then start a swing, turn around and dive back into the enemy, chopping their head off. Works especially well when another enemy comes to chase as well, and you suddenly go for him. I use a Heavy Bastard, and it's like swinging a razor-edged wiffle bat. I've mowed down four or five people this way - unpredictability is key.