Author Topic: Swear words in names  (Read 11670 times)

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
Re: Swear words in names
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2011, 10:48:27 am »

there was a guy named nimrod in the bible thats an insult these days

just sayin
internet sarcasm failure.  :wink:

nimrod offensive? never heard of that. there are myths of a confrontation with abraham, but why is the name offensive?
chadz was musing the idea of requiring a 20 word minimum back story to register new characters. I think he didn't because it wouldn't be fair without a full wipe (all the old characters w/o backstories, tsk tsk), but he can just add the requirement at the next log in, (like a captcha, but cooler). I feel bad for all the leet namers, it's gonna be tough I think.

would be cool, though very easy in my case...

on topic, just give the cunts not so much attention if you don't like these words.

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 338
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Sky belongs to Asagods as long as the raven flies.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Son_Of_Odin
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2011, 11:04:48 am »
I feel sorry for guy named "raiskaaja" ingame. He got permanently banned until he changes his name. Most of you people don't even understand what the word means because it is in finnish. "Raiskaaja" means "rapist" or "raper". Meanwhile "RASIST" and all the others play as much as they can :D.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

There is no sight in my third eye

Offline Blondin

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • aka Blondie
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Blondin, Tuco, Sentenza
  • IRC nick: Blondin
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2011, 11:16:37 am »
Oh and don't make your face too ugly, this could scare kids (all of you my old friends are in the nightmares of kids playing this game!)

And we should prohibit crossdressers, this could hurt children's sexual sensibility...

About role-play i'm all for it, that's a cool idea, short description of your char can give more depth.

But please, not all this puritan bs.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 11:18:54 am by Blondin »

Offline Mulic

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • GOD WILLS IT!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights_templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Mulic
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2011, 11:40:04 am »
Ok lets all bash the old guy for expecting a little decorum in this game oh and for those who have never heard that word it means a requirement of correct behaviour in polite society.
I know its a game involving killing and such but that doesnt mean we should lower ourselfs to childish launguage and boasting like "I know a more offensive swear word than you Hur Hur Hur".
Would you use the C word in the company of people you have just met? if the answers no why use it here? If the answer is yes then your parents should of brought you up better.

I swear all the time xD even to people ive just met. purely habbit and no once cares. seriously. They are gonna see cunt and fuck alot more in the real world so whats the point in pretending to be better by hiding it in game?

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2011, 11:52:22 am »
If it was up to me (and you all know it isnt) wed had only roleplay-names and clantags allowed :p

I actually agree with this 100%, not only in this game but in all others as well. I hate to see names like "5", "ioSRHPFGOUH", "h4iqht40u90fg", "i_suck_your_cock_while_you_fart", etc, but since no one cares enough to regulate these things people should just leave bravecunts alone, there really ARE much more "worse" names then that. At least bravecunt is a word that makes sense (cunt is a very brave thing imo, letting numerous cocks pierce it on a regular bases, giving birth to a thing that makes it wider then a pre-patch xbow crosshair, etc), i think that much more stupid and pointless are the ones who cant even name themselves with a word that makes any sense (even a dirty one) instead of just randomly hitting keys across the keyboard.
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.

Offline Murmillus_Prime

• Earl
  • Renown: 424
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player
  • Dying is gay.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Murmillus_Prime
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2011, 02:12:22 pm »
Someone names their char, 'Billy_99', hey billy what's the story behind your name bud?

Billy': 'Well erm, I tried Billy but it was taken... I tried Billy_1 but it was taken, I then tried Billy_2, and then I tried Billy_3 and Billy_4 and Billy_5 and Billy_6, Billy_7.... All taken! So I gave up and chose Billy_99 HURR'

Damn that's one hell of an interesting story Billy, you've got an incredible imagination, damn I wish I could think of names like that!

He could have called himself Billy_The_Bastard, or Billy_The_BumRapist, either would be better than Billy_99, but that's just my opinion.
Dumbfuck.Fuckwit.Cuntshit.Brickfuck.

Offline Blondin

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • aka Blondie
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Blondin, Tuco, Sentenza
  • IRC nick: Blondin
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2011, 02:17:38 pm »
May be billy is gen 99?

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2011, 02:44:27 pm »
Or has 99 wives.

Offline Murmillus_Prime

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • Dying is gay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2011, 02:53:45 pm »
May be billy is gen 99?

Numbering your gen was soooo pre-patch.

And we have to assume he's from the west and only has maximum room for one wife!

And... I think my name is long enough without sticking 14 on the end of it.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 02:57:34 pm by Murmillus_Prime »

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Do evil to others before they do evil to you
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Kenkyaku
  • IRC nick: Torp
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2011, 03:03:46 pm »
Which Holy Bible?

Only names from The Holy Old Testament should be allowed as they will also be accepted by muslims and jews.
Hail the holy names of the holy bible!

Offline Wrenaq_Lars

• Noble
  • Renown: 12
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MonkeyBlade
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2011, 03:25:08 pm »
Look everyone swears everynow and then and it reflects in the game chat I dont mind it, But to have a swear word in a name is just stupid and lazy.

Offline Vammo75

• Knight
  • Renown: 40
  • Infamy: 2
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vamm
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2011, 03:26:05 pm »

He could have called himself Billy_The_Bastard ..... would be better than Billy_99, but that's just my opinion.

That wouldn't be very original either. That was William the Conquerors name before he conquered England. Pet name of course as he was called William the bastard: his mother probably called him Billy the bastard.

On a more serious note however +1 Lilith
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 03:31:17 pm by Vammo75 »

Offline Grey

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 72
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
  • Hope you like arrows...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: -
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2011, 04:39:01 pm »
Ok lets all bash the old guy for expecting a little decorum in this game oh and for those who have never heard that word it means a requirement of correct behaviour in polite society.
I know its a game involving killing and such but that doesnt mean we should lower ourselfs to childish launguage and boasting like "I know a more offensive swear word than you Hur Hur Hur".
Would you use the C word in the company of people you have just met? if the answers no why use it here? If the answer is yes then your parents should of brought you up better.

Calling a complete stranger a cunt is MUCH less offensive than making a gross generelisation and insulting someones parents because of their offsprings use of the language. Swearing does NOT show a limited vocabulary, and in most cases, among adults, its commonplace and unnoticed. If you were so insulated from linguistic trends that the word cuntbuggerer offends you, maybe its YOUR parents who are at fault, not addapting their child to the realities of the world we live in.

Now, this is just my opinion, I think dirty names have their place in games such as CSS, where your name is temporary, but since your character is gonna have that name for a while in crpg, I wouldnt name them something that was gonna get old, BUT:

Using the word cunt infront of a stranger is NO WHERE NEAR as offensive as you could be without ever swearing: What would make you more upset, a randomer calling his mate a CUNT infront of you, or a complete stranger with perfect diction and a fine speaking voice telling you "Tonight Im going to follow you home, tie you up and slice off your loved ones genitals and feed them to you, slowly over the course of several weeks, ultimately making you eat your OWN bodyparts to stay alive, then show you the corpses of your family and let you smell the rot, then release you." I know which guy Im more likely to dropkick, and it aint the "swearer".

Personally I can read: "profanity" as it's known in the US, is part and parcel of the English language, and most common expletives date back before white men ever stood on North American land, so right winged fascist yanks should learn their history before they judge anyone else. There are so many problems in society IRL, and with this mod in particular, that the fact anyone CARES about names show how vacuous and unattached to reality they are.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 04:46:31 pm by Grey »
Bamboo Bundle Bowman: 90'' draw, groups at 200 yards.

Offline Murmillus_Prime

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • Dying is gay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2011, 04:46:39 pm »
I saw Billy_the_Peasant today. O_O

Offline Elmetiacos

• Count
  • Renown: 175
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
  • You've probably teamkilled me
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Hot_Chick_with_a_Sword, Dark_Rose_Knight
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2011, 04:49:06 pm »
That's not really "offensive" so much as "a criminal offence". We're getting to the facile level now of pointing out that swearing at someone isn't as bad as murdering them.
The word is "anyway" not "anyways". You are not Gabby Hayes.