Poll

Want?

Yes
242 (84.6%)
No
44 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 285

Author Topic: Possible new feature: different hilt/blade damage  (Read 15971 times)

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
Re: Possible new feature: different hilt/blade damage
« Reply #225 on: June 21, 2012, 02:23:04 am »
Light armour is already decent, virtually nothing (except strong melee hits) oneshots light armour like it used to.
Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".

Offline Visconti

• Count
  • Renown: 278
  • Infamy: 52
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Velucan
  • Game nicks: Tristran_Steward_of_TKoV
« Reply #226 on: June 21, 2012, 02:23:19 am »
cRPG combat is slow enough without stamina. And as GTX said, it would just add more limits to melee combat, which we dont need in cRPG. The main attraction to Warband/cRPG was how fluid the combat felt (before this patch), a stamina bar would just make it clunkier then it already is.

to the original topic, different damage for the hilt/blade sounds great, just hope that the damage for the hilt isnt so low it will constantly be glancing.
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #227 on: June 21, 2012, 02:27:59 am »
So u like an even slower game, where can u do even less hits, as more fun?. Anyway yeah, matter of taste.

Just one thing: U cant use realism as a valid reason for balancing this mod....

That's what I always say myself. But this is not about balancing two things with each other ("The one weapon is much longer and has a curved blade, it should...") or certain minor aspects ("If a horse runs you over you should be dead..."), it's about reworking the entire combat system. Which will need to be done anyway, if the feature of this topic will get implemented. And I am never against realism itself. I always think one should implement the maximum amount of realism, unless it starts to break balance. (Which, to be honest, happens quite fast, because reality isn't know for its fairness  :rolleyes: ).

And stamina doesn't neccessarily need to slow down the game. And by the way fast games are not everyone's taste. I for example HATE CoD, it's a hectic, unrealistic and worst of all mindless piece of shit. Watching the multiplayer videos with all those super fast knife stabs, thrown grenades and recoilless rifles which reload in 2 seconds makes me sick.
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline dreadnok

• Marshall
  • Renown: 838
  • Infamy: 562
  • cRPG Player
  • fuck these jerkoff kids
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KBW<MB<SoW
  • Game nicks: Gorp_The_Gorger
« Reply #228 on: June 21, 2012, 02:28:29 am »
I wonder how this will affect the short 1h cut weapons. It will be nice to have a special hilt/fist hitbox for that.

it doesnt they glance or bounce
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Thovex

• Marshall
  • Renown: 851
  • Infamy: 210
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Thovex
« Reply #229 on: June 21, 2012, 02:28:45 am »
Why does everyone fix on that feint thing? I just mentioned it because I think it looks unrealistic and idiotic.

And in my eyes limitations don't make fights dull. If anything, the opposite. Becuase being allowed to run around the battlefield and swing your weapon without any limitations seems more dull an plain to me than having to look for your fatigue and to take care you don't overstrain yourself.

But, as always, it's a matter of taste.

Back to Runescape with you.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #230 on: June 21, 2012, 02:29:32 am »
Back to Runescape with you.

I never played it, so I fear I don't get your joke/insult  :?
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 21, 2012, 02:29:40 am »
A stamina bar would just add an element that would be counter productive. Fights don't start getting really interesting until a few exchanges in when you feel out your opponent and a stamina bar would just break that cadence. We also don't have a firm control over "sprinting" and "power attacks".
And how!

Offline _GTX_

• I <3 Shemaforash
  • Duke
  • Renown: 535
  • Infamy: 960
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • O===((:::::::::::::::>
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmarunionen
  • Game nicks: GTX
  • IRC nick: GTX
« Reply #232 on: June 21, 2012, 02:37:25 am »
+1
That's what I always say myself. But this is not about balancing two things with each other ("The one weapon is much longer and has a curved blade, it should...") or certain minor aspects ("If a horse runs you over you should be dead..."), it's about reworking the entire combat system. Which will need to be done anyway, if the feature of this topic will get implemented. And I am never against realism itself. I always think one should implement the maximum amount of realism, unless it starts to break balance. (Which, to be honest, happens quite fast, because reality isn't know for its fairness  :rolleyes: ).

And stamina doesn't neccessarily need to slow down the game. And by the way fast games are not everyone's taste. I for example HATE CoD, it's a hectic, unrealistic and worst of all mindless piece of shit. Watching the multiplayer videos with all those super fast knife stabs, thrown grenades and recoilless rifles which reload in 2 seconds makes me sick.

Everyone i talked with liked the fast combat system, which were hard to learn, but so much fun when u learned it. Thats what made c-rpg special for me, the fast gameplay, with this amazing combat.

And all of them liked the faster version of c-rpg without the limitations, which we have got lately.

But lets just end here, since we understand each other, but just have different opinions, which wont be changed atm.

Offline Scully

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
  • Fuck the police
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Scully
« Reply #233 on: June 21, 2012, 02:49:51 am »
Lower hilt damage would further encourage shielders to want to get inside your anus...

Offline 22nd_deprav

• Knight
  • Renown: 62
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: 22nd
  • Game nicks: 22nd_deprav_the_skald
« Reply #234 on: June 21, 2012, 02:52:11 am »
I'm too lazy to read how this turned into an argument about stamina.

But the hild/blade damage thingy is pretty awesome, it's kind of retarded to get one-hitted by the hilt of a polearm (and that makes me rage a lot). That might a bit of a big nerf for polearmes.

Maybe polestagger and low blunt damages for hilts and no polestagger for blade and cutting/piercing damages depending on the weapon. would that technically be possible ?

Also I will finally profite of the use of the sword, and having a side weapon might finally become useful !

Thanks for making the effort to do that !

EDIT :

that might be a big nerf for all hammers as well (1h, 2h and poles), maybe adding some more damages for the only little head of the weapon and lowering for the rest of it ?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 02:58:39 am by 22nd_deprav »
Max characters: 400; characters remaining: 354

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #235 on: June 21, 2012, 03:06:25 am »
It would be possible, but I'd rather keep polestagger out of it entirely.
Weapons that have small blades will likely receive damage buffs.

Offline Nehvar

• Duke
  • Renown: 550
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 21, 2012, 03:06:43 am »
I like it in theory.  I am interested in seeing what you guys come up with in terms of balance.

+1
WSE2 gives us the key to a wonderful world of butthurt...

Offline Turkhammer

• Earl
  • Renown: 376
  • Infamy: 194
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 21, 2012, 03:07:12 am »
You wouldn't have to nerf hammers if a fatigue system made you too damned tired to spam it like a windmill.

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 21, 2012, 03:09:20 am »
This should theoretically make things more interesting. The personal plus side for me would be I'd be punished less for my game lagging/stuttering at the beginning of a person's attack and my opponent knowing how to press the beginning of the swing animation into the character model for a quicker hit.
And how!

Offline 22nd_deprav

• Knight
  • Renown: 62
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: 22nd
  • Game nicks: 22nd_deprav_the_skald
« Reply #239 on: June 21, 2012, 03:11:54 am »
It would be possible, but I'd rather keep polestagger out of it entirely.
Weapons that have small blades will likely receive damage buffs.

Entirely was pretty bad : taking a huge amount of damages + getting stunned was pretty lame, even more when some pole users can spam you fast enough to hit twice before you recover.

But stunning with hilt would allow the pole users to get some distance back and then attack with the blade part (without stun). cause that's the bad point of it, if a polearm user gets face hugged he's fucked and kicking is too much risk for average players.
Max characters: 400; characters remaining: 354