Author Topic: Why was polestagger removed?  (Read 6851 times)

Offline MacLeod_

• Baron
  • Renown: 131
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
  • There can be only one....Winner of each round.
    • View Profile
    • A Singleplayer Manual
  • Faction: The Highland Clan,KUTT
  • Game nicks: (Crpg)Sword_for_hire,MACLEOD_
Re: Why was polestagger removed?
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2012, 04:21:05 am »
I think fucking with the game mechanics like that will make people leave the game and polearms cheap on the market. Isn't there anyway just to reduce the pole stun by .25 of a second or balance it that way? Keep in mind I rarely use polearms but someone has to stick up for it. Once NA feels the wrath people who relied on agility will be strength instead,and all the world will change around us,towns reduced to ash by two handers.
This is all I have to say on this.
Devilize vrs. MacLeod
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Pollux

• Count
  • Renown: 267
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2012, 07:10:34 am »
I think fucking with the game mechanics like that will make people leave the game and polearms cheap on the market. Isn't there anyway just to reduce the pole stagger by .25 of a second or balance it that way? Keep in mind I rarely use polearms but someone has to stick up for it. Once NA feels the wrath people who relied on agility will be strength instead,and all the world will change around us,towns reduced to ash by two handers.
This is all I have to say on this.

you're only saying that because everyone else in your clan uses a polearm

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I am not at liberty to say.
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2012, 07:52:51 am »
+2
I am looking forward to killing people with my pole alt when this shit mechanic is purged from NA.
Alas nodachi
remembers glorious spring
a tin can's hatchet.
http://www.moddb.com/members/psychotropicdog

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2012, 08:28:55 am »
i can play for about 10 minutes at a time on high population NA servers before the over abused long polearm/polestagger str build heavy armor + nonstop swarm of courser/heavy cav, and brokenly powerful rus bows and throwers shit up the game too much to have fun at all

removing polestagger is a good start, get rid of kiting, reduce throwing accuracy, nerf the rus bow, make all ranged ammo three to four times the weight, and minus all horse maneuver by 3 to 5, reduce all lance damage by 3 to 5 and maybe it will be a good game

this game was seriously better balanced when everyone could use sniper crossbows and plated chargers with no upkeep or slots then it is now, the metagame has very obviously shifted towards the longest polearms + heavy armor + strength and as much kiting ranged classes as posible, its fucking retarded imo
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 08:36:10 am by Smoothrich »
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline Rhaelys

• Duke
  • Renown: 509
  • Infamy: 47
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: Rhaelys_BlockLeft_of_Chaos
Re: Why was polestun removed?
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2012, 09:06:15 am »
+1
i can play for about 10 minutes at a time on high population NA servers before the over abused long polearm/polestagger str build heavy armor + nonstop swarm of courser/heavy cav, and brokenly powerful rus bows and throwers shit up the game too much to have fun at all

removing polestagger is a good start, get rid of kiting, reduce throwing accuracy, nerf the rus bow, make all ranged ammo three to four times the weight, and minus all horse maneuver by 3 to 5, reduce all lance damage by 3 to 5 and maybe it will be a good game

this game was seriously better balanced when everyone could use sniper crossbows and plated chargers with no upkeep or slots then it is now, the metagame has very obviously shifted towards the longest polearms + heavy armor + strength and as much kiting ranged classes as posible, its fucking retarded imo

I am a long sideswing polearm/heavy strength/heavy armor crutcher and I approve of this message 100%.

Quote from: Uumdi
sweet of you guys to celebrate my birthday
wait you're talking about that devils lettuce arent you, god damnit
Quote from: Kreczor
yo you want to burn some sweet romaine tonight?
Quote from: Uumdi
yeah i smoke that dirty green shit fuck iceberg

Offline Sauce

• Duke
  • Renown: 597
  • Infamy: 83
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Remnants
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2012, 09:31:11 am »
+2
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 07:43:47 pm by Sauce »

Offline Miley

• Duke
  • Renown: 604
  • Infamy: 327
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2012, 09:40:24 am »
+1
I don't know why it's being removed. Poles can't be spammed like a two-hander, and pole stagger maybe silly... but what about LEFT SWING, RIGHT SWING on two-handers. Again, you can't spam a two-hander like a polearm. How many times does it actually happen, though? What will become of War Spear and all those weapons? Could an EU tell me, because it's not in place in the NA servers yet? I think we should be focused on 4 Power Throw hitting like a boulder and a cavalry bump going through dozens of people, even consecutively.

By the way, I'm a two-hander, but I do use poles.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2012, 05:27:23 pm »
+1
Being able to get a guaranteed free hit off of your own initial hit is a dumb mechanic and was rightfully removed.

So they're removing knockdown then?

I too wish dev's would leave game mechanics alone.  The game was, and has been, pretty well balanced going back to at least 6 months ago.

If you're going to keep fucking with stuff that is already balanced, try looking at the 80+ length the 2h stabs get, that's fucking ridiculous.  Oh wait, 2h's are the holy grail of c-rpg (with everyone trying to be a rambo player instead of being able to fight in groups), never mind.  And people wonder why there's such terrible teamplay on the battle servers.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Sauce

• Duke
  • Renown: 597
  • Infamy: 83
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Remnants
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2012, 07:15:51 pm »
+3
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 04:47:41 pm by Sauce »

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2012, 07:19:55 pm »
+4

So basically anything that's not 2h, or can be used to defeat 2h, should be nerfed.

Haven't heard that one before... :)

I'm more of the mindset of this:

too wish dev's would leave game mechanics alone.  The game was, and has been, pretty well balanced going back to at least 6 months ago.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2012, 07:20:38 pm »
Because it was a class specific advantage that took skill out of the game.

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2012, 07:25:05 pm »
+1
Because it was a class specific advantage that took skill out of the game.

So does a shield, should we remove those?  Same with knockdown, or crush-through.

There are lots of class specific advantages that take skill out of the picture in certain situations. 

Maybe we should change the game to all 1h rapiers and institute olympic fencing rules so everyone is on the same page. :)

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2012, 07:28:32 pm »
+4
So does a shield, should we remove those?  Same with knockdown, or crush-through.

There are lots of class specific advantages that take skill out of the picture in certain situations. 

Maybe we should change the game to all 1h rapiers and institute olympic fencing rules so everyone is on the same page. :)

Polestagger was quite retarded because it didn't have any downside to it. Poleaxes which have good stats were able to sneak in 2 hits for one enemy mistake quite often which is silly and unbalanced. Knockdown weapons are usually unbalanced, short, slow or have lower damage compared to other weapons. Crushthrough weapons are slow, unbalanced and short. Can't say anything like that about weapons that had polestagger.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline _GTX_

• I <3 Shemaforash
  • Duke
  • Renown: 535
  • Infamy: 960
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • O===((:::::::::::::::>
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmarunionen
  • Game nicks: GTX
  • IRC nick: GTX
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2012, 07:31:10 pm »
Polestagger was quite retarded because it didn't have any downside to it. Poleaxes which have good stats were able to sneak in 2 hits for one enemy mistake quite often which is silly and unbalanced. Knockdown weapons are usually unbalanced, short, slow or have lower damage compared to other weapons. Crushthrough weapons are slow, unbalanced and short. Can't say anything like that about weapons that had polestagger.

This, 100%. Short and accurate.

Offline Turkhammer

• Earl
  • Renown: 376
  • Infamy: 194
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2012, 08:05:36 pm »
+2

What about 2h swords that out reach a polearm's stab reach?  As long as 2h has that advantage the polearm should keep stagger.

Why should a Danish Great Sword at 124cm out stab an awl pike of 165cm length for example?  The awl pike is not so end heavy that it MUST be grasped in the middle.  It could be grasped further back to increase the stab range.